Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Brady Tkachuk is the best forward Ottawa has ever had

source.gif

Yeah, no. Hopefully.. HOPEFULLY he someday gets mentioned in he same breath as Alfredsson, Hoss and Stone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa ranks 4th for prospect pool, seems a bit high but hey, nice to see something positive.

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31

Mentioned it when he teleased his top 50, not my go to guy for prospect evaluations but nice to get some recognition.

With only 2 guys in his top 50 (brann and bath) and neither in the top 20, landing 4th in farms suggests he is really high on our depth.

If I recall, we had 6 guys in his top 100 (released on twitter).

For what it is worth, Mtl who came in 5th had 4 guys in the top 50 but no more in the top 100.

Reactions: Sen sational

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sarcasm I’m assuming ?

Not sarcasm, reality. He’s going to put up an entry level contract that will reset the Ottawa record books and by the time he is done will be he Captain and the best forward (Chabot the best player) on the team

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Not sarcasm, reality. He’s going to put up an entry level contract that will reset the Ottawa record books and by the time he is done will be he Captain and the best forward (Chabot the best player) on the team
I love Brady, and I'm the first to admit I wanted Hughes/Dobson ahead of him, and while Hughes is still debatable, now Brady >> Dobson.

But I think of we get a pick in the top 5 next year, that player will be the best forward on the team for the long run. Just my opinion. I think Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Lundell, Perfetti and Holtz all have much higher ceilings. Brady will probably make a bigger impact when it matters most though due to his playing style.

I do think he's the future captain though.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I love Brady, and I'm the first to admit I wanted Hughes/Dobson ahead of him, and while Hughes is still debatable, now Brady >> Dobson.

But I think of we get a pick in the top 5 next year, that player will be the best forward on the team for the long run. Just my opinion. I think Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Lundell, Perfetti and Holtz all have much higher ceilings. Brady will probably make a bigger impact when it matters most though due to his playing style.

I do think he's the future captain though.
I would easily take Hughes or Dobson over Brady. As much as I bashed the pick, I loved his game last year but those two are gonna be elite at their position. Chabot-Dobson would have been the best D pair in the league over the next few years.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I would easily take Hughes or Dobson over Brady. As much as I bashed the pick, I loved his game last year but those two are gonna be elite at their position. Chabot-Dobson would have been the best D pair in the league over the next few years.

Dobson wouldn’t even be the best D on his team, Tkachuk is going to be the best LW in hockey

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ottawa ranks 4th for prospect pool, seems a bit high but hey, nice to see something positive.

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31

If it's high it's not by much. I get that Sens fans are really mad at the team right now (although it should all be directed at Melnyk IMO) but it doesn't change the fact that the current pool is top notch

Like the writer had in his rankings, I also have the Rangers 1st and the Avs very high (he has them 3rd). Don't necessarily have the Kings 2nd (but have them high too) but have the Habs and Hurricanes about where he has them (5th and 6th). The Sens pool is right in the conversation there IMO.

People say we don't have high end prospects but Brannstrom and Batherson are exactly that and considered among the best by most people who know what they are talking about. Having 2 guys is great, even more considering we have Tkachuk and Chabot who just graduated last year. In these rankings, Jaros, Lajoie and Wolanin are not even considered prospects anymore so the pool is in fact better than stated there.

The greatest thing is that on top of Brannstrom and Batherson, there's several more high quality prospects in Norris, Brown, JBD, Thomson, Formenton, Balcers, Gustavsson/Sogaard, Wolanin, Abramov and maybe some others

I don't know how can anybody look at it and don't find it impressive (see the "Overrated Prospect Pool" thread), everywhere I have read on the internet consider it among the best in the NHL, which is normal because we basically added 10 quality prospects out of the major firesale (Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Norris, Thomson, Balcers, Gustavsson, Abramov, Davidsson, Sogaard, Tychonick). I would have liked things to happen differently and even though it totally sucks to have lost our stars, we still got quality prospects out of it, not sure how can anyone deny that. But I'm not surprised, give bad news to negative people and see what happens.

See this post for reference :

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019 (19th)

I'd be ready to take bets with anyone that we currently have at least 15 future NHLers in the current pool, and some of them will be high quality and above average players.

Last edited:
Reactions: innocent bystander

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Last year two LW’s scored 50+ goals. Ovy is a generation player and the other had 100+ pts playing with McDavid.

I don’t think Tkachuk will ever score 50G/100pt type seasons.... but here’s hoping he does. Brady will bang a little more but top LW in hockey is a lofty bar.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Last year two LW’s scored 50+ goals. Ovy is a generation player and the other had 100+ pts playing with McDavid.

I don’t think Tkachuk will ever score 50G/100pt type seasons.... but here’s hoping he does. Brady will bang a little more but top LW in hockey is a lofty bar.
Agreed. And if we land 1OA next year, we will have the best LW in hockey.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Lassi Thomson projected NHL arrival next year??? Seems optimistic
He'll probably do exactly what Brannstrom did. D+1 year at home playing against men, and D+2 in the AHL, and evalute from there. I'd be pretty shocked if he was on the sens next year. JBD will get a shot before him, and we'll still have Jaros and Zaitsev on the right side as well, to go along with the logjam on the left. I guess we'll see how he does in the Liiga this year though!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Alexei Yashin, Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza would like a word.

And I guess that guy by the name of Daniel P. Alfredsson. I think he posts here, big Larry David fan. And happens to be the franchise leader in many statistical categories. Think he also sold Pizza or something.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
And I guess that guy by the name of Daniel P. Alfredsson. I think he posts here, big Larry David fan. And happens to be the franchise leader in many statistical categories. Think he also sold Pizza or something.

He might have sold pizza but I've heard he ate nothing but nachos.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-prospect-pyramid/

Need to fill that elite tier this year or at the draft. Brannstrom, Batherson or Brown could all do it with a monster year. I expect Batherson to be in Ottawa so one of the other guys will have to do it. Or we draft top 3 in 2020.

You won't see us fill that elite tier other than by drafting Lafrenierre or Byfield. Anybody who has the kind of year that would bump them up would get called up and lose eligibility.

That said, 9 guys in tier 2 is insane. Idk if I'd have half that many in our tier two. Hope they are right and I'm wrong, The video he linked said tier two is the Marner/Nylander tier, most teams would have 1 or maybe two guys there... but we have 9? Sweet.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You won't see us fill that elite tier other than by drafting Lafrenierre or Byfield. Anybody who has the kind of year that would bump them up would get called up and lose eligibility.

That said, 9 guys in tier 2 is insane. Idk if I'd have half that many in our tier two. Hope they are right and I'm wrong, The video he linked said tier two is the Marner/Nylander tier, most teams would have 1 or maybe two guys there... but we have 9? Sweet.
Yeah, that's just insane and hard to take seriously.

Marner was a top 10 forward last year. Was a 5th overall pick, who won CHL player of the year at 18, and had two seasons over 60 and another over 90 before his 22nd birthday, the same age or similar age to half our prospects. We have no guys in his tier, let alone 9.

We don't have any forwards in the Nylander tier either, Batherson/Brannstrom may be getting close. Nylander was a top 10 pick, who was tearing up the SHL and AHL at 18 and 19, and had two 60 point seasons in the NHL before his 22nd birthday.

Either he needs to change the tier comparable, or drop most/all of those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Taking a look at their criteria for skaters eligibility...

"A skater no longer qualifies as an NHL prospect if he has played 25 games in the NHL in any campaign, regular season and playoffs combined, or 50 games total; or reaches age 27 by Sept. 15"

lol this is so random. The 50 games makes some sense but the 25 doesn't. It really isn't enough games to determine what a prospect could become at the NHL level. Nick Paul played 24 games in 2015-16, 1 more game and he would have been considered "graduated"? Yeah, doesn't work for me.

Also, 27 is a bit "old"considering hockey players primes nowadays, the 25 y/o benchmark of the hold HF criterias makes more sense. Really, haven't seen any prospects eligibility criterias that come close to the old HF ones.

I see a lot of people focus on that tier 1 but like the article states, most teams don’t even have one. The teams who do are the ones who drafted high very recently but most of the time, this type of prospects only stay there very shortly. Which prospects are currently in a tier 1? Hugues and Kakko? Don't think guys like Gusev, Hayton, Glass, Makar and Q. Hugues are in tier 1. Chabot was a beast in junior and just considered tier 2. Tkachuk was a 4th OA pick and also tier 2.

What is important is tier 2 and tier 3. Having 9 guys in tier 2 and 6 more in tier 3 is amazing. Even looking at tier 4, I see 3 guys who could jump in tier 2/3 this year in Crookshank, Tychonick and Gruden

Plus, their criterias make Wolanin and Balcers not eligible, 2 guys that would most likely be in tier 2. Laoie and Jaros aren't there either, 2 more guys in at least tier 3. Plus Paul possible tier 3/4

But yeah, "overrated pool"

That being said, HW need a tier between 2 and 3, guys that were talked about like Chabot, Batherson, Tkachuk, Marner, Nylander, etc are in a tier above guys like Formenton and Gustvasson for example. I think they'd need more tiers overall, at least 7

It could/should be more like that :

Tier 1 (blue-chip elite players, not many end up in that tier) : none

Tier 2 (high end prospects, most likely 1st line/1st pairing) : Batherson, Brannstrom

Tier 3 (very good prospects, most likely top-6/top-4) : Brown, Norris, Bernard-Docker, Thomson

Tier 4 (good prospects, most likely top-9/top-6) : Wolanin, Balcers, Søgaard, Formenton, Davidsson, Jaros, Gustavsson, Abramov, Chlapik, Daccord, Pinto, Lajoie

Tier 5 (decent prospects, could become NHL players but most likely in a role or their upside remains uncertain at the moment) : Hogberg, Crookshank, Gruden, Tychonick, Paul, Veronneau, Kelly, Alsing

Tier 6 (too early too say/most likely depth players) : Carcone, Mandolese, Nurmi, Guénette, Kastelic, Klimchuk, Englund, Loheit

Tier 7 (too late/almost no chance) : Beaudin, Burgess, Novak, Sturtz, Lodin

Like mentioned on HW, players can move around in tiers. I think Crookshank and Gruden move on to tier 4 this year, Guenette, Kastelic and Mandolese to tier 5. Can anyone moved from tier 4 to tier 3? Pinto or Sogaard maybe?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pronman at the Athletic just ranked us at 12th, which is up one spot from last year. I don't have a subscription anymore so I can't really comment, but to put things in context:

Out was Tkachuk (our only high end last year), White, Jaros, Lajoie and Wolanin I think,

Notable additions to our pool are Brannstrom, Norris, Thomson, Soogard, Pinto and Abramov.

Also of note, Batherson moved up two levels from "very good" to high end. Brown stayed "very good", and I'm assuming Brannstrom is also high end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->