Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
One thing about this thread is that people always want to compare our young prospects to players we have ALREADY had haha.

News clip: We never won the cup, we never won ****. I hope these guys don't turn out into spezza and fisher, I hope it's more like kane and toews haha. I get the need to compare to what we know, but it makes me laugh.
In that case, I hope Brannstrom is Rundblad 2.0 so we can have a Cup.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
odds that d'accord actually signs with the sens? he fills an organizational hole and should be guaranteed playing time in belleville with Gustavsson (assuming Hogberg fills backup in Ottawa next year) but I'm not confident in Ottawa's ability to get a deal done if(when) he turns pro at the end of this season.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I see Formtenton similar to Dzingel. I get the Balcer’s - Boedker comparison but im pretty sure Balcer’s skill level is higher. Boedker with those tree trunk legs can fly down the wall with the the puck and protect it on the cycle but he doesn’t have Balcer’s in tight ability with his hands or shot. One you can build on and one you can’t. Expanding further on this I see Batherson as similar to Stone but with a higher skill level. You read that correctly. Colin White reminds me of Todd White and Brown of Spezza, and Brannstrom of someone else with the same first name. We just need Norris to turn into a Bonk/Fisher hybrid and we’re good. Now for Tkachuk....can’t say we’re ever had a player like him which is why I’m even happier to have him than I already would be anyway. Same for Chabot now that I think of it. Maybe prime Redden/Karlsson hybrid.

All we're missing is a Christoph Schubert type and we're golden!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
odds that d'accord actually signs with the sens? he fills an organizational hole and should be guaranteed playing time in belleville with Gustavsson (assuming Hogberg fills backup in Ottawa next year) but I'm not confident in Ottawa's ability to get a deal done if(when) he turns pro at the end of this season.
Ottawa might be a good opportunity for him, Anderson & Condon only have a yr left on their contracts, Condon could even get bought out. Nilsson is a UFA & who knows if they re-sign him or not, it would be cheaper to make Hogberg the backup next yr & EM likes cheap. No goalie in this org has yet to show a dominance over any other & with Anderson aging rapidly Daccord has as good a chance to get to the NHL quicker here as anywhere else IMO.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Ottawa might be a good opportunity for him, Anderson & Condon only have a yr left on their contracts, Condon could even get bought out. Nilsson is a UFA & who knows if they re-sign him or not, it would be cheaper to make Hogberg the backup next yr & EM likes cheap. No goalie in this org has yet to show a dominance over any other & with Anderson aging rapidly Daccord has as good a chance to get to the NHL quicker here as anywhere else IMO.
That was my thinking too. I guess I'm just worried he will have a lot of suitors turning pro after this season and he might feel interested in going elsewhere. What does loyalty even get you with Ottawa nowadays? He really doesn't owe us anything lol

Reactions: derriko and aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I would think even as a draft pick not signed to a contract it would be tampering for anyone to approach him before he is officially a FA.

Not to downplay this but there was a lot of hand wringing over White and Wolanin as well and it proved to be a waste of time.

The vast majority of college players sign with the team that drafted them.

Not worried until there is some smoke.

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It seems he’s like gone and now with Buffalo but...

What happened to Francois Brassard? Anyone know, did we trade him?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Will the Sens be active in this market?

That's kind of a double edged sword for UDFAs to sign here. On one hand the NHL roster is terrible and easier to crack, the the other there's a bunch of high profile prospects in your way challenging for spots as well that you won't necessarily be ahead of.

I guess we have the luxury of singing guys and giving them game down the stretch which might help us secure our own guy in D'Accord.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Loheit has been very, very bad

Ya, too bad. Seems like he can just about be written off... maybe he can take a huge leap forward at some point but not counting on it, his production is really substandard

Novak and Burgess don't seem to be progressing too well either

That's kind of a double edged sword for UDFAs to sign here. On one hand the NHL roster is terrible and easier to crack, the the other there's a bunch of high profile prospects in your way challenging for spots as well that you won't necessarily be ahead of.

I guess we have the luxury of singing guys and giving them game down the stretch which might help us secure our own guy in D'Accord.

I think for the reasons you stated we would have a shot, + they are both Ottawa boys, but I think we need to really plan ahead as to who we want to commit to. We have so many forwards especially who will need spots, and we need to make decisions on Paul, Klimchuk, Duclair, Rodewald, Tambellini, Archibald, and others this offseason. Not that those guys are a group of future NHLers but they are all good AHLers at least and we know we want to have a competitive team down there

Last edited:

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
One thing about this thread is that people always want to compare our young prospects to players we have ALREADY had haha.

News clip: We never won the cup, we never won ****. I hope these guys don't turn out into spezza and fisher, I hope it's more like kane and toews haha. I get the need to compare to what we know, but it makes me laugh.

Seriously this. It irks me when people say Brown could be a poor man's Spezza. Like WHAT? A lesser version of a player that left more to be desired 90% of the time. I know he had 90 point seasons but he wasn't a gamechanger imo.

Reactions: Brannstorm

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Seriously this. It irks me when people say Brown could be a poor man's Spezza. Like WHAT? A lesser version of a player that left more to be desired 90% of the time. I know he had 90 point seasons but he wasn't a gamechanger imo.

That's an interesting take.

Spezza was over a PPG 4 times, including in 2011/12 playing primarily with Michalek and Greening. He also came in 6th in Hart voting that season. If that isn't a gamebreaker I honestly don't know what is.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019)

Justin Brazeau seems like a good free agent target from the OHL. A 6'6 225 lbs right winger with 53 goals and 45 assists in 62 games played.
Justin Brazeau at eliteprospects.com

I've never watched this guy play buuuuut...with that size and some decent production in earlier years there has to be something very wrong there for him not to have been picked up already.

My guess would be that he skates about as well as I do. I'm on the wrong side of 40, FWIW, and skating has never been my best hockey skill.

Reactions: derriko

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012

Spezza was over a PPG 4 times, including in 2011/12 playing primarily with Michalek and Greening. He also came in 6th in Hart voting that season. If that isn't a gamebreaker I honestly don't know what is.
I respect his accolades but I seem to remember him more for the repetitive negative things he did (think drop-pass that would always get intercepted) and disappearing at the most pivotal times in the post-season. I know he was an amazing talent and had tons of raw skill but I always wanted more. Maybe I'm spoiled.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chris Peters at ESPN did a ranking of the NHL prospect pipelines. The Senators are now ranked #1.

Yeah and probably not close, which was facilitated though by trading most of their best established players. It's gonna get even better after the 2019 draft, with 3 picks in the ~top-40. Craziest thing is that Chabot, Tkachuk and White just graduated and the pool is still #1.

If a different owner/situation could have managed to keep some of Stone/Karlsson/Duchene/Hoffman/Dzingel (heck even Zibanejad), this team would have had a very very bright future. Now they could still have a bright future but an ownership change will have to happen to "allow" it to happen.

Yeah Spezza in 2011-12 was awesome. Unfortunately he got injured in 2012-13 and was never the same after. He had a pretty good peak when young too.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->