Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Micklebot, Nov 4, 2018.

1. R2010

R2010 Registered User

Considering the crap we all spend money on this is certainly worth it IMO

Panic at the Back and MelnykOut like this.
  2. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

Anyone know who are the top 10 NCAA free agents (free wallets) that NHL teams could be signing at the end of the 2019 NCAA hockey yr? I like Nico Sturm C out of Clarkson University as a very good two way centre as a depth player. Princton has three interesting prospects in Max Veronneau RW, Ryan Kuffner LW & Josh Teves RD? Anyone have a list of the top 10 - 20 free agents?
    Kuffner LW - Sturm C - Veronneau RW
    Schuldt LD - Teves RD
    Morris G

3. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

If you want to sample the Athletic and see if you like it, install the app on your phone or tablet, it gives you a few free articles each week (you get to choose the articles)

Samsquanch likes this.
  4. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Raging Bull Squatch

This is a boss of a tip! Thanks bud.

Edit: Mission accomplished, and it was super easy for anyone else wondering.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Fair warning: You may discover their content is so good you find yourself wanting to pay for more.

Panic at the Back and Samsquanch like this.
  6. Samsquanch

If that article on Brown was any indication, you might be right. I have ZERO issues paying for quality though, so its a happy kind of dilemma I suppose.

7. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

In my experience, there are some real gems on their site, and some pieces that are just meh. But, they have some good deep dives stuff if you're into that, Pronman puts his prospect stuff there if you like that, some other guys have stuff there too.

Tbh, I don't subscribe to it because I'd probably spend too much time reading it... time is valuable lol.

8. Samsquanch

They almost hooked me earlier in the year with the article on JBD, but I resisted. Both were really well put together though, I must say.

Having said that I agree with you that time is valuable, and unless we were getting articles about the Sens like this on a fairly regular basis, I would be hesitant to commit to reading the rest of their non Sens related content.

For as big a hockey fan as I am (and was even a half decent player back in my day), Im not that interested in many other sports anymore (aside from golf), tbh.

I gravitate much more towards geeky things like science, politics, and deep thinking stuff as I continue trudging away through my 30s...

Alf Silfversson and MelnykOut like this.
  9. Panic at the Back

Panic at the Back Registered User

Was soccer management
    worth the money. No regrets.

R2010 likes this.
  10. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

11. harrisb

harrisb Registered User

Trade Andy / Condon, sign daccord, sign Nilsson, run with the kids and let them battle it out.

Might have to just bury or send Condon to robidas island

12. Sens of Anarchy

Assuming they keep Anderson;

I would Sign Daccord; Let Nilsson Walk; Promote Hogberg to backup Anderson; Condon to Robidas; Gus and Daccord in Belleville; let Hollett who I think is their least promising Goalie prospect reenter or sign him to play in ECHL.

DrEasy, God Says No and MelnykOut like this.
  13. ChurchOfAlfie

ChurchOfAlfie Registered User

Kevin Mandolese is quietly having a good draft+1 season in the QMJHL, playing in a competitive division. His numbers have steadily improved throughout the year, even if they're not earth shattering. I think he has the experience, size and skill to be a top 5 goalie in the Q next season. He already has 102 games experience, which is a ton for a goalie with two years of junior eligibility left, plus the end of this season.

Tied 5th in games played - 38 (Tied 2nd among U19)
    5th in wins - 22 (4th among U19)
    Tied 7th in shutouts - 2 (Tied 5th among U19)
    12th in GAA, at least 10 games played - 2.73 (8th among U19)
    15th in save percentage, at least 10 games played - .898 (9th among U19)

Alf Silfversson likes this.
  14. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

If they can't deal Anderson this yr with a yr left on his contract than maybe next yr when he's a UFA. Then again, they could keep him to mentor the young goalies & have him slowly transition into the backup, if they decide to re-sign him at his age or turn him into a future goalie coach. I would deal him, but I could see it go either way.

Another tough call will be what they do with Condon since he has another yr on his contract as well. I would prefer to keep Nilisson but since he is a UFA & Condon isn't this might be the time to trade Nilisson to get something back at this yr's deadline. Of course, they should sign Daccord & let Hollett go back into the draft. Hogberg should be ready to be a backup next season & Gus maybe the yr after that. If Condon could ever get his game back he would be a deadline deal for next season.

15. Sentron5000

Sentron5000 Registered User

I would recommend reading Robert Greene, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, and Rolf Dobelli, if you are looking for more intellectual reads.

And they need to sign Daccord.

16. Tkachuckycheese

Tkachuckycheese Registered User

Filmmaker
    4 points for Batherson so far tonight 3G 1A

I hope they just leave him down there for the rest of the year

17. Sens of Anarchy

When Stone Duchene and Dzingel leave both teams will be foobared... Oh that's right we will get back some shyte players to play in the NHL

Deku likes this.
  18. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson wishes he thought of 'pete dorito' first

not a schmohawk
    I'm assuming we're not keeping our big UFAs. If we are keeping them, then the plan changes.

Trade Anderson (Next year doesn't matter in terms of wins/losses. Might as well get an asset for Anderson before his contract expires)

Re-sign Nilsson (Has looked good so far. Doesn't matter if he regresses since we'll have so much money off the books anyways. Better to sign Nilsson and have it enable us to get a pick in a trade for Anderson.)

Trade/Don't Qualify Hogberg (No room for him.)

Sign Daccord (No brainer.)

Keep Gustavsson

Buyout Condon/Sign 1M or less UFA Backup (If we trade Anderson at the deadline, and Condon is able to come back before then and re-establish himself as someone who can play .900+ NHL hockey, just keep him. If he still looks like a hot mess, buy him out and roll the dice on another reclamation backup at 1M or less. With his buyout, it's break even money wise.)

19. harrisb

harrisb Registered User

That leaves us very thin if there is an injury in the nhl or ahl. Hogberg is probably closest to ready and we’re invested in his development so see if he can turn in to an nhl backup. If it doesn’t work there are always backups on the waiver wire

20. danielpalfredsson

not a schmohawk
    It's the same situation we're in now in that we'd have two NHL goalies, and an experienced AHL goalie. Except instead of Hogberg being the AHL veteran, that would be Gustavsson.

Getting callups next year and a taste of the NHL should not hurt Gustavsson. If Daccord will start in the ECHL then it makes sense to keep Hogberg or acquire an AHL veteran to backup Gustavsson.

One thing to consider is that getting rid of Hogberg might be required to convince Daccord to sign. There's a finite amount of resources a team can invest in developing goalies, Daccord probably won't agree to sign with a team that is attempting to develop Hogberg and Gustavsson parallel to him. It also doesn't look like it's realistic to expect Hogberg to back up in the NHL next season, so that would not be a solution.

I don't think it really matters if we have a great NHL pairing next year since we're not winning anyways and it benefits us to finish lower in the standings. That, and we would get something for Anderson. If we end up keeping Stone and Duchene, it's a different story, keep Anderson and try to be respectable next season.

21. FolignoQuantumLeap

FolignoQuantumLeap Its a trap

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to trade Hogberg if it meant we secure D'Accord.

I expect Condon to be bought out. I'd also try to trade Andy to a team with a young starter and retain on his contract without asking for much in return.

In my ideal scenario we would have Nilsson as the starter next year on a 1 or 2 year deal. His backup would rotate between Hogberg and Gustavsson with D'Accord in the A. Guy who's playing best gets the back to back starts and relief starts. Would give us loads of options going forward into a rebuild with all 4 guys being viable for many years. Healthy competition too.

Hollett can re-enter the draft.

If we can't deal Anderson, I'd look into loan options for Gus or Hog for some contender in the KHL or SHL. Want all the young guys getting as many starts as possible.

derriko and DrEasy like this.
  22. harrisb

harrisb Registered User

I want Nilsson and hog in the NHL.
    Gus and Daccord in the AHL
    If we can’t deal Condon he’s in the ECHL as insurance if someone goes down or Daccord isn’t ready for pro hockey. Don’t bother with a buyout as you always need an insurance goalie for the lower levels. Can’t see Melnyk doing that but it would be the perfect situation

Oh ya, that assumes Andy is traded

ChurchOfAlfie, Icelevel and DrEasy like this.
  23. danielpalfredsson

not a schmohawk
    You can't send Condon to the ECHL without his consent because he is not on an ELC.

I don't think there's a spot that makes sense for Condon. We could put him in the AHL as our starter to see if he can rehab his level of play, but then he is taking starts away from Gustavsson and/or Daccord.

If we make him the AHL backup, I doubt that's a great situation. A guy like Condon isn't going to be happy sitting on the bench in the AHL when he probably feels he should be using his time trying to re-gain a grip on his NHL career.

Buying him out and letting him have a chance to work his way up in another organization makes the most sense to me. Assuming we trade Anderson and extend Nilsson, sign a veteran NHL backup who knows and is okay with his role of sitting on the bench. Buying out Condon frees up 1M for a backup goalie if Condon projects to be our NHL backup, it frees up at least 1.65M for a backup goalie if Condon projects to be in the AHL since we'd be paying Condon 3M and an NHL goalie at least 650k to take his space.

Someone like a Curtis McElhinney might be a good target. He's a pure backup, he's had decent numbers over the last two seasons. It isn't a situation where he's young enough to get an idea like he's being signed as a backup, but he could really blossom here and steal the starting job.

I'm assuming Daccord doesn't trend as a guy who can step in and be our #2 NHL goalie right away....I don't know enough about goalies to assess that, nor have I ever seen the guy play. If that's a realistic situation, then we don't need to sign a backup.

24. ChurchOfAlfie

ChurchOfAlfie Registered User

Alex Formenton made his return to the Knights lineup this afternoon.

MelnykOut, DrEasy and senators101 like this.
  25. harrisb

harrisb Registered User

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Condon either goes to the ECHL to play or sits in the AHL press box waiting for an injury.

This way Nilsson is getting most starts in the nhl and the other 3 youngsters are fighting for a backup role. There is also competition in the AHL for the starter role. Condon either likes it and goes along or destroys his career by missing almost 2 seasons of hockey. Pick one, it’s not friendship it’s business.

The AHL needs to be developing these young guys and creating competition, getting an established nhl backup results in 3 youngsters for two spots in the AHL, say goodbye to Daccord or Hog in that case

DrEasy likes this.