Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's actually crazy how important Logan Brown is to this franchise. If only he could stay healthy for a full year.

Like imagine a top 9 of:

Balcers-Duchene-Batherson (scoring line)
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone (all purpose)
Tierney-Pageau-White (that checking line tho)

And that's not including Norris, Chlapik and Formenton, or pieces from the dzingel/ceci/anderson deals.

Or we trade Duchene and try to run Brown-White down the middle. But I'm praying Logan Brown can stay healthy and pan out.

With Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, that would be my forward group next season :

Dzingel-Duchene-Batherson
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Balcers-Brown-Chlapik
Formenton-Pageau-Tierney

Traded in the near future as youngsters graduate : Boedker, Ryan, Smith

Still developing : Norris, Crookshank, etc

Now the question is who will stay and who will go? Assuming the 3 UFAs leave/are traded :

Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Balcers-Brown-Chlapik
Formenton-Tierney-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Boedker

Really not ideal, because the only vets are Ryan and bottom-6 players. It will be much easier to "see" in a few weeks lol

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown has points in 10 of his last 11, with 14 points over that frame.

Batherson has 12 points in his last 6 games, after going pointless in 9 straight.

Leave them down the rest of the season, let them work together and continue to develop and work on their consistency.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Brown has points in 10 of his last 11, with 14 points over that frame.

Batherson has 12 points in his last 6 games, after going pointless in 9 straight.

Leave them down the rest of the season, let them work together and continue to develop and work on their consistency.

This is exactly it. Any forward call-ups for the rest of the year should be shared between Chlapik, Balcers, Paul and (ugh) Rodewald. Let them play the rest of the year, and give them their chance in camp this year. If Brown stays healthy, I'd consider him centring Duchene and Batherson as a scoring line next year.

If we trade Duchene, I think Brown is up by the end of this year.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bath and brown should come up at the end of the season even if it's a short stint . Give them a taste show them what they gotta work on in the summer to be NHLers

If we trade Stone, Duchene and Dzingel, you can bet your ass that they will be finishing the season up here. Unfortunately though it will be because they literally have to call them up to ice a full roster, not because it was the right move for the kids development.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Belleville has an opportunity to make the playoffs than Brown & Batherson should stay in Belleville. However, if at some point they are mathematically eliminated than it wouldn't hurt to give them some games in Ottawa to end the season for the experience & some NHL money as a reward for doing so well this yr down there.

Reactions: derriko

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If Belleville has an opportunity to make the playoffs than Brown & Batherson should stay in Belleville. However, if at some point they are mathematically eliminated than it wouldn't hurt to give them some games in Ottawa to end the season for the experience & some NHL money as a reward for doing so well this yr down there.

You think this team has money to reward players with? I rather save every last penny

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would like to see this lineup next year:

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pageau- Chlapik

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Jaros
Lajoie - Harpur/Borowiecki

Anderson - Nilsson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I would like to see this lineup next year:

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pageau- Chlapik

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Jaros
Lajoie - Harpur/Borowiecki

Anderson - Nilsson
Yeah I’d be happy with that. Hopefully decent returns on ceci Tierney and smith.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The chances of trading either Ryan or Smith IMO are slim & none given they have more than two yrs left on their respective over paid contracts.

Next Season:

Chlapik - Duchene - Anderson (Columbus)
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Smith - Brown - Stone
Formenton - Paul - Ryan/Eaves (Ann) - (Norris)

Chabot - Manson (Ann)
Lajoie - Jaros
Wolanin - Harpur/Boro (JBD)

Gibson (Ann) - Hogberg/Gustavsson - (Daccord)

Trade: Dzingel, Ceci, Anderson, Neilsson, Condon, Tierny, Boedker, Paajarvi, DeMello, Balcers & Pageau

To Ann: Dzingel LW, Ceci RD, Anderson G, Pageau C & Balcers LW (Neilsson G)
To Ottawa: Josh Manson RD, John Gibson G & Patrick Eaves RW (salary dump)

- Ann gets a handful of players which allows them to trade Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler at some future point or trade any of these guys for future assets. Ottawa fills two positions of need. I assume Ann will need to rebuild sooner rather than later.

To Columbus: Tierny C (33 pts), Boedker LW (28 pts) & DeMello RD (14 pts)
To Ottawa: Josh Anderson RW (25 pts)

- Columbus gets some depth players, Ottawa gets a goal scoring RWer.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With how we treat goalies, I'd be surprised any would want to play for us given the choice.

Playing for this organization in nets is a one-way ticket to irrelevancy.

If you're Daccord, it could be tempting to play here and burn a year of his ELC.

He would then be an RFA in 2020.

That's the only advantage I think we'd have. We have a very bad track record for successfully developing goalies. So I'd be surprised if a you ng goalie wanted to come here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see any difference whether Daccord signs here or somewhere else. He's not gonna start in the NHL & chances are he will probably start his career in the ECHL with whatever team he signs with to get the experience & the ice time. If he proves himself or through injuries he will most likely get a number of games in the AHL to again prove himself & try & steal a job from a goalie considered ahead of him in the depth chart.

IMO coming out of college he has a long road ahead of him & playing for this org will be no different than anywhere else. Hopefully, he turns into a diamond, Ottawa could certainly use some very good luck in nets moving forward. I think he signs with Ottawa.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Analyzing the adjustments made by Logan Brown who is...

I got the Athletic as a gift and sometimes forget about it but man oh man oh man oh man did I love reading this article. Really great breakdown on Logan Brown here, showing and analyzing more than a dozen highlights and showing the growth in his game. Maybe I will do a summary a little later if there is interest

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If you're Daccord, it could be tempting to play here and burn a year of his ELC.

He would then be an RFA in 2020.

That's the only advantage I think we'd have. We have a very bad track record for successfully developing goalies. So I'd be surprised if a you ng goalie wanted to come here.
IIRC he could sign shorter ELC next year when he's older, so that would be irrelevant, no?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
IIRC he could sign shorter ELC next year when he's older, so that would be irrelevant, no?

He will be 23 next year, so he still has to sign a 2 year ELC.

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that his options are as follows....

1) Sign a 2 year ELC with the Ottawa Senators near the end of the current 18-19 season. The Senators allow him to burn a year of his ELC via playing a game. This makes him an RFA in July 2020, he also would get his ELC signing bonus for that first year.

2) Leave school, wait 30 days for the Senators to lose his rights. The NHL season would most likely be over, meaning he will not be able to burn that first year. He could then sign a 2 year ELC that would make him an RFA one year later than if he would have signed in Ottawa, which would be July 2021.

3) Go back to school next year. Ottawa loses his rights. Finish up his four years. Sign a 2 year ELC with a team for the end of the 19-20 season. If that team allows him to burn a year, he then would still become an RFA in July 2021. Which is still one year later than he would have become an RFA had he signed with Ottawa.

1 year ELC doesn't kick in until he's 24, which means he'd have to wait until the 2020 off season to sign his 1 year ELC. The end result is still that he becomes an RFA in July 2021, so in that scenario he's still better off with the 2 year ELC signed sometime in 19-20 since even if he chose to go to school for a fourth year, by playing a game and burning a season at the end of 19-20 he'd still collect his ELC signing bonus for the first year of that deal.

I could be wrong with any of this, but from my understanding the Senators main advantage is that the 30 day window makes it impossible for Daccord to burn the first year of his ELC with any NHL team other than Ottawa if he chooses to finish out his current college season.

Reactions: DrEasy and starling

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Wolanin was in a similar situation. We signed him to a two year ELC in late March last year, he burned the first year while collecting his 92.5k bonus, and now he'll already be a (restricted) free agent basically 1 year into his NHL career. I'm not very knowledgeable in how the College schedule works, but it seems like the 30 day window makes it difficult or impossible for a free agent in Wolanin or Daccord's shoes to finish their college season, wait 30 days to sign with a new team, and still be able to sign before the NHL season finishes. So to me, it seems like if Daccord values burning the first year, he has to sign with Ottawa.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
He will be 23 next year, so he still has to sign a 2 year ELC.

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that his options are as follows....

1) Sign a 2 year ELC with the Ottawa Senators near the end of the current 18-19 season. The Senators allow him to burn a year of his ELC via playing a game. This makes him an RFA in July 2020, he also would get his ELC signing bonus for that first year.

2) Leave school, wait 30 days for the Senators to lose his rights. The NHL season would most likely be over, meaning he will not be able to burn that first year. He could then sign a 2 year ELC that would make him an RFA one year later than if he would have signed in Ottawa, which would be July 2021.

3) Go back to school next year. Ottawa loses his rights. Finish up his four years. Sign a 2 year ELC with a team for the end of the 19-20 season. If that team allows him to burn a year, he then would still become an RFA in July 2021. Which is still one year later than he would have become an RFA had he signed with Ottawa.

1 year ELC doesn't kick in until he's 24, which means he'd have to wait until the 2020 off season to sign his 1 year ELC. The end result is still that he becomes an RFA in July 2021, so in that scenario he's still better off with the 2 year ELC signed sometime in 19-20 since even if he chose to go to school for a fourth year, by playing a game and burning a season at the end of 19-20 he'd still collect his ELC signing bonus for the first year of that deal.

I could be wrong with any of this, but from my understanding the Senators main advantage is that the 30 day window makes it impossible for Daccord to burn the first year of his ELC with any NHL team other than Ottawa if he chooses to finish out his current college season.
I think you are right. He'll have to sign 2-year ELC either way.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Analyzing the adjustments made by Logan Brown who is...

I got the Athletic as a gift and sometimes forget about it but man oh man oh man oh man did I love reading this article. Really great breakdown on Logan Brown here, showing and analyzing more than a dozen highlights and showing the growth in his game. Maybe I will do a summary a little later if there is interest

One of the best prospect breakdowns I've seen. So detailed with video clips as examples. That same author (Mitch Brown) wrote one on JBD earlier in the year, and same thing. Now I want one for all of our prospects.

Here is the one on JBD, if anyone has the subscription (not cheap but if you find someone to split it with, it's well worth it).
https://theathletic.com/716879/2018/12/19/senators-first-rounder-jacob-bernard-docker-enjoying-smooth-transition-to-ncaa/

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->