2018-2019 Roster Talk, Part 5

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The PK was stunningly bad in Oct and November. Since then it’s been decent, but overall for the season it’s still poor.

Hak and Lappy dug a huge hole.
They had no choice, only could use the players Hextall let them have on the roster, plus the goalies, woof.

#ObviousHeelTurn

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Btw, the next time I hear someone say we shouldnt buy MacDonald out this summer i'm going to find you and fight you. He's never getting waived to the AHL again. He's always going to play above someone he shouldnt. Its that "A" on his sweater. He MUST be bought out this summer.

With one year left i think amac is tradable. If q is coming i totally think he goes to chicago with assests for kieth. Lets just hope its him and not seabrook

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
HOW HOW HOW HOW IS ASSEMBLING THIS ROSTER INTO PROPER LINES/PAIRS SO HARD FOR GORDON AND KNOB????????????????

It should be so insanely easy to optimize this roster at 5v5 and on the PP. Why can't they just do the obvious?

To start, the Giroux line is fundamentally broken. It's the wrong mix of players and it'll never be a consistent threat. JVR and Konecny are both very good players but neither are the type to maintain possession and set up a teammate, which completely wastes Giroux. If he doesn't either a) score 100% on his own, or b) immediately set them up for a goal, then nothing is going to happen. At this point Giroux should go back to wing simply because for the best possible line combinations.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny --- the best line we've had in a long time
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek --- saves Patrick from playing with bottom 6 linemates and gives us a nice top 6

See? Not hard.

Then the defense at 5v5...

The top 4 has to consist of some combination of Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Gudas. Hagg and MacDonald can't be in here and none of those top 4 can be wasted by being paired with one of the two ECHLers. Obviously Myers MUST be in right now too, both because he's already superior in ability and because he needs to get as much experience as possible in this wasted year.

Then the PP should literally be the easiest fix of it all: Put Giroux and Voracek back on their proper sides. To me, this is literally the most shocking thing to be broken in the last decade. I can't fathom how Knob thinks having them on their wrong sides makes any sense at all. They've been elite PP players for so long... why f*** with it? The PPs early struggles this year was like having a flat tire but then replacing it with a square wooden wheel.

If my stupid ass can figure this stuff out, how can these "professionals" not get it? It's all so insanely easy and obvious. Why does everything have to be made so difficult for no reason?

The entire coaching staff MUST go at the end of this year. If Fletcher keeps any of them, we're instantly f***ed for next season. Coaching is by far our biggest issue STILL and until that's fixed the roster has no chance to succeed. On top of the idiotic player usage, his "system" is a joke.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How much longer will Gordor keep the ice cold JVR - Giroux combo together? How much longer will PP1 be assembled with everyone in the opposite of where they should be? Why do coachs make coaching so hard on themselves?

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
HOW HOW HOW HOW IS ASSEMBLING THIS ROSTER INTO PROPER LINES/PAIRS SO HARD FOR GORDON AND KNOB????????????????

It should be so insanely easy to optimize this roster at 5v5 and on the PP. Why can't they just do the obvious?

To start, the Giroux line is fundamentally broken. It's the wrong mix of players and it'll never be a consistent threat. JVR and Konecny are both very good players but neither are the type to maintain possession and set up a teammate, which completely wastes Giroux. If he doesn't either a) score 100% on his own, or b) immediately set them up for a goal, then nothing is going to happen. At this point Giroux should go back to wing simply because for the best possible line combinations.

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek --- saves Patrick from playing with bottom 6 linemates and gives us a nice top 6

See? Not hard.

The top 4 has to consist of some combination of Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Gudas. Hagg and MacDonald can't be in here and none of those top 4 can be wasted by being paired with one of the two ECHLers. Obviously Myers MUST be in right now too, both because he's already superior in ability and because he needs to get as much experience as possible in this wasted year.

Then the PP should literally be the easiest fix of it all: Put Giroux and Voracek back on their proper sides. To me, this is literally the most shocking thing to be broken in the last decade. I can't fathom how Knob thinks having them on their wrong sides makes any sense at all. They've been elite PP players for so long... why **** with it? The PPs early struggles this year was like having a flat tire but then replacing it with a square wooden wheel.

If my stupid ass can figure this stuff out, how can these "professionals" not get it? It's all so insanely easy and obvious. Why does everything have to be made so difficult for no reason?

The entire coaching staff MUST go at the end of this year. If Fletcher keeps any of them, we're instantly ****ed for next season. Coaching is by far our biggest issue STILL and until that's fixed the roster has no chance to succeed.

It really is inexcusable the way they refuse to make adjustments on the PP. Knob is a giant nob.

I agree on the lines too. It means a pretty challenged bottom 6 but at least get the top lines going.

Before we all go completely insane, get Myers in. f*** me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

See? Not hard.

Then the PP should literally be the easiest fix of it all: Put Giroux and Voracek back on their proper sides. To me, this is literally the most shocking thing to be broken in the last decade. I can't fathom how Knob thinks having them on their wrong sides makes any sense at all. They've been elite PP players for so long... why **** with it? The PPs early struggles this year was like having a flat tire but then replacing it with a square wooden wheel.

The entire coaching staff MUST go at the end of this year. If Fletcher keeps any of them, we're instantly ****ed for next season. Coaching is by far our biggest issue STILL and until that's fixed the roster has no chance to succeed. On top of the idiotic player usage, his "system" is a joke.

Pretty much this.

If this coaching staff is retained, next season is already over too. They might squeeze in but they wont make the type of strides we have seen the Flames and Islanders make.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really is inexcusable the way they refuse to make adjustments on the PP. Knob is a giant nob.

I agree on the lines too. It means a pretty challenged bottom 6 but at least get the top lines going.

Before we all go completely insane, get Myers in. **** me.
Yeah, we're not going to have a good top 6 and a good bottom 6 this year, but we can't afford to have a neutered G line, mostly good Couts line, Patrick forced to be a one man show, and a crap 4th line. I'll take a loaded top 6 over one good line and 3 broken lines.

The lineup is driving me insane lately. The broken lines, broken pairs, broken PP, and ridiculous icetime allotment are just too much. The worst part is we know there's superior alternatives... we've literally watched them prove themselves before. What we currently have doesn't work... the only reason we've been winning is the individual skill of our players. But making it as hard as possible on them is never going to work long term.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty much this.

If this coaching staff is retained, next season is already over too. They might squeeze in but they wont make the type of strides we have seen the Flames and Islanders make.
On top of the negative effect it would have on the team, what it would say about the competence of Fletcher would be even more devastating.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, we're not going to have a good top 6 and a good bottom 6 this year, but we can't afford to have a neutered G line, mostly good Couts line, Patrick forced to be a one man show, and a crap 4th line. I'll take a loaded top 6 over one good line and 3 broken lines.

The lineup is driving me insane lately. The broken lines, broken pairs, broken PP, and ridiculous icetime allotment are just too much. The worst part is we know there's superior alternatives... we've literally watched them prove themselves before. What we currently have doesn't work... the only reason we've been winning is the individual skill of our players. But making it as hard as possible on them is never going to work long term.

I also think these could really work..

Giroux - Patrick - Konecny
Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek

Then you just throw together a meh bottom 6 and hope they come out even at the end of the game.

JVR - Laughton - Simmonds
Raffl - Varone* - Bailey**

*Vorobeyv
**Aube-Kubel

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
On top of the negative effect it would have on the team, what it would say about the competence of Fletcher would be even more devastating.

Yeah if hes willing to make his first fulltime hire Scott f***ing Gordon, his tenure is over before its even really began.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I also think these could really work..

Giroux - Patrick - Konecny
Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek

Then you just throw together a meh bottom 6 and hope they come out even at the end of the game.

JVR - Laughton - Simmonds
Raffl - Varone* - Bailey**

*Vorobeyv
**Aube-Kubel
Absolutely, I’ve suggested the same top 6 before too. I think those 4 wings should be pretty much cemented in those spots and then Couturier or Patrick in whichever spot is fine by me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Absolutely, I’ve suggested the same top 6 before too. I think those 4 wings should be pretty much cemented in those spots and then Couturier or Patrick in whichever spot is fine by me.

Maybe since they lost a game, we'll see changes. My guess is we will need to lose multiple games before it happens though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe since they lost a game, we'll see changes. My guess is we will need to lose multiple games before it happens though.
I fear things will become even worse if Gordon tries to make “improvements” now. If he were smart enough to do the right thing, he’d have done it already.

I’ve hated him for years now because even in the AHL he was an idiot (nearly identical problems as were seeing now). Thing is, I was so happy Hakstol was gone that I was able to tolerate Gordon’s stupidity for a little while, but now that’s worn off and we’re back where we started.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Yep. We need to get G going.

It's been the same BS for so long now. We get carried by the stars which masks the inept coaching and asinine line up decisions.

There's no accountability for some (AMac and Hagg) while actual young, talented players get ice time reduced or inexplicably benched (Sanheim, Ghost, Lindblom, Myers..)

It's beyond frustrating.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep. We need to get G going.

It's been the same BS for so long now. We get carried by the stars which masks the inept coaching and asinine line up decisions.

There's no accountability for some (AMac and Hagg) while actual young, talented players get ice time reduced or inexplicably benched (Sanheim, Ghost, Lindblom, Myers..)

It's beyond frustrating.
One of the few things I’ve actually enjoyed over the past decade of watching this team is watching Giroux pile up points and cement himself as one of the true greats in this teams history... so these idiots doing their best to hold him back right now is extra annoying.

And yeah, the inconsistency is infuriating. Like I’ve said, Provorov has been even worse than Ghost this year and yet he gets infinite patience and endless icetime/opportunities. Meanwhile Ghost doesn’t nothing wrong (even scores 4 points) and sees his icetime cut and gets paired with NON-LITERAL fecal matter. It makes it endlessly clear that the punishments aren’t performance based but instead mere bias.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad