2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Play at home. Become the face of the nhl in your home market. Growing the game in a maturing market. Maximizing your financial return.

Toronto will match. They have no choice.

The real issue is by doing so it ensures the leafs will be uncompetitive. He will have 5 years with no chance for a cup with some of his line mates likely traded for cap space.

Honestly though. Why be loyal and take less than what he deserves? So he can lose a half year salary to a lockout? He has to be loyal to Toronto because they ranked and won a lottery? He should feel in debt to an organization and play in a foreign country and pay 15-20% more per year in tax?

I’d be in in for myself and maximizing my income. That’s me though. And I’m Canadian.
He will rich beyond rich no matter where he signs. Why would he play with less of a team for 5 years to maybe get to play in AZ. Wouldn't it make more sense to just make it clear to the Leafs that he will not sign for more than 5 years if he really wants to go home? Taxes don't quite work like you think, as long as he stays an American and just works in Canada we have a tax treaty that would benefit Matthews. He wouldn't lose anywhere near 15%

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I didn't think I needed to point out the importance of a pitcher in baseball, the location of the baseball stadium, or the popularity of baseball. You can't compare any if these to a hockey center in a tough market with a hard to get to stadium. Unless of course those telling us for years that the arena location was the issue are simply wrong??

You obviously don’t understand this market then. Getting to a DBacks game midweek at Chase Field in the middle of rush hour is not for the faint hearted. Yet people didn’t let it stop them when you had the two best pitchers in MLB at the time playing that day.

The arena in Glendale is an issue to a large number of long time fans. Especially with how the team has performed. But.... you put a guy like Auston Matthews on the ice each night suddenly that doesn’t become so much an issue to some. The better your product is the more chance an inconvenience (like location) stops factoring in.

This is what hbk is getting at. Improve the product to where location becomes a minor factor, then use it to get rid of the location factor all together.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You obviously don’t understand this market then. Getting to a DBacks game midweek at Chase Field in the middle of rush hour is not for the faint hearted. Yet people didn’t let it stop them when you had the two best pitchers in MLB at the time playing that day.

The arena in Glendale is an issue to a large number of long time fans. Especially with how the team has performed. But.... you put a guy like Auston Matthews on the ice each night suddenly that doesn’t become so much an issue to some. The better your product is the more chance an inconvenience (like location) stops factoring in.

This is what hbk is getting at. Improve the product to where location becomes a minor factor, then use it to get rid of the location factor all together.
And I'm saying Matthews at offer sheet number we started this discussion at would decimate the Coyotes roster and limit future prospects. A baseball pitcher can win a game on his own, an nhl center can't, see Edmonton. Now about that getting to stadium thing. Using guesstimate, let's say there are a million baseball fans in the Valley as compared to 100,000 hockey fans. Much easier to fill the baseball stadium regardless of location or time. I suspect the numbers are even more favorable to baseball. There is no doubt Matthews would help the Coyotes but I don't think It's nearly as clear at $17 million Cap hit and minus 4 first round picks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would trade Hayton, POJ,, Keller, and Strome for Matthews. I don't think in the small chance that Toronto doesn't match gives up the future. It focuses our GM to be creative to fill out the roster. I'm okay with making Chayka earn his salary.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would trade Hayton, POJ,, Keller, and Strome for Matthews. I don't think in the small chance that Toronto doesn't match gives up the future. It focuses our GM to be creative to fill out the roster. I'm okay with making Chayka earn his salary.
So would I, now sell that roster to Matthew's. In the Leafs case it's only now they attracted a top tier free agent to come home, it is the rest of the roster that caused it. Just a couple years ago they threw the bank at Stamkos and he accepted less to be on a much better team. Anyway it just isn't as simple as throwing a big offer and welcome home, it never is.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So would I, now sell that roster to Matthew's. In the Leafs case it's only now they attracted a top tier free agent to come home, it is the rest of the roster that caused it. Just a couple years ago they threw the bank at Stamkos and he accepted less to be on a much better team. Anyway it just isn't as simple as throwing a big offer and welcome home, it never is.
I don’t think a scenario where u offer max $ to force Matthews into free agency at age 28 was ever going to be an easy proposition. Still compete against 31 other teams to sign.

Matthews is in a fairly good situation; however, the leafs enter cap hell territory very soon.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don’t think a scenario where u offer max $ to force Matthews into free agency at age 28 was ever going to be an easy proposition. Still compete against 31 other teams to sign.

Matthews is in a fairly good situation; however, the leafs enter cap hell territory very soon.
Leafs are nowhere near Cap hell. It gets a little tight next year but still easily doable. The following year Marleau comes off the books.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Lucic has had his signing bonus paid and his contract back dives. I’d do that deal even if the 3rd becomes a 2nd.
I guess I haven't watched him much recently, isn't he terrible? 10 goals and 34 points last year kind of matches what his actual salary will be for the next 4 years, 7.5 million total according to cap friendly. Still, I wonder how much worse he gets. He still has 4 more years, and I don't see him getting better.

Another factor here is I kind of hate him. I don't want to see him wearing a coyotes jersey. The thought of it makes me sick. The way the team played tonight also makes me sick though. I still hate it, and wouldn't agree with it, but it might help in a lot of ways.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@Ultra Mega Chychrun You hate him because he’s an unpredictable scum bag nut case physical freak and you’re always worried he’s going to seriously hurt someone. Yep. I want that.

He’s owed:
1. 3.5m this season (bonus paid)
2. 6m
3. 4m
4. 5m
5. 4m

Take the 25% off in my proposal and get:
1. 1.75 (maybe wrong re: bonus/retention)
2. 4.50
3. 3.00
4. 3.75
5. 3.00
= 3.2m avg in real dollars owed per year

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
@Ultra Mega Chychrun You hate him because he’s an unpredictable scum bag nut case physical freak and you’re always worried he’s going to seriously hurt someone. Yep. I want that.

He’s owed:
1. 3.5m this season (bonus paid)
2. 6m
3. 4m
4. 5m
5. 4m

Take the 25% off in my proposal and get:
1. 1.75 (maybe wrong re: bonus/retention)
2. 4.50
3. 3.00
4. 3.75
5. 3.00
= 3.2m avg in real dollars owed per year
I want a player like that. I think we need a player like that. I worry about his age and seemingly waning hockey skills though. How long until his offense completely dries up and all you have is the psycho stuff? 3.2 a year seems like too much for that.

To be fair, I don't watch Edmonton play a whole lot. Maybe he's not awful. I just don't want a player that is only a lunatic, I want a lunatic who can play hockey too. Is Lucic going to be that for the next 4 years?

Also I still hate him and still don't want him for that reason. That last part is why I couldn't be a GM. It's not really relevant to this discussion, but my extreme distaste for him forces me to mention it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Those proposals would in fantasy land get us Lucic, Fischer, Ritchie and Crouse to go along with the actual creative/offensive skill on the team of Keller, Galchenyuk, Strome and Hinostroza. Put one of each on each line:

Lucic-Stepan-Keller
Grabner-Galchenyuk-Fischer
Ritchie-Strome-Panik
Crouse-Dvorak-Hinostroza
Richardson

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They just skate down really fast in a straight line and then shoot on net.

Its really strange that they are sort of doing the same things that got them into trouble early last year. They had gotten away from trying to do this balls out 100% of the time by the end of December.

They also almost never elect to reset and circle around for a better look at a pass and instead will pass through traffic to keep going up up up ice. Even tipping the puck ahead in the neutral zone as if they were a forward trying to dink (Tocchet term) the puck out on a PK away from a D man.

We used to get outshot a lot and lose. Now we shoot a lot and lose.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Chayka really needs to shake things up by trade or something, the result so far is totally unacceptable...

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m in Austin so I didn’t get to watch the entire game.

Is it possible, last year Tocchet admitted that he was so focused on north south, that he has to readjust the game plan (when we looked better) to be more structured.

Could it be that rt is telling them more go go go, instead of what he was telling them the second half of the season?

rt

May 13, 2004
Coyotes have such intriguing stats:

Shot Attempt Differential (Corsi): 4th in NHL (+78)

Unblocked Shot Attempt Differential (Fenwick): 4th in NHL (+45)

Shots Against per game: 2nd in NHL (23.3)

Shots For per game: 5th in NHL (36.5)

Faceoff Percentage: 5th in NHL (53.3)

Goals Against per game: 4th in NHL (2.25)

Looks good right? Possession indicators are very strong. Incredibly strong.

Goals For per game: 31st in NHL (0.50)

What in the actual f***?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Warming up to the idea of Perlini for Ritchie. What's that extension look like? Kypreos said Ducks offered him a take it or leave it 3-yr extension. No word on the dollars though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad