2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Weird that we keep sending Dauphin up and down though. I mean..

tenor (4).gif

Reactions: KG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Was Garland able to collect his NHL money while on IR?

Nope. Players on 2-way contracts who are injured during or before training camp are paid a blended mix of their NHL and AHL salaries based on the % of days they were in the NHL roster the previous season.

E.g. if an injured player was in the NHL for 25% of the previous season then you’d calculate the daily pay rate as 25% of their NHL daily pay rate plus 75% of their AHL daily pay rate once the regular season starts and they remain on IR.

Garland didn’t play an NHL game last season, didn’t check if he was called up for a day or two and healthy scratched? His pay rate during the season while he was on IR should be his AHL salary of $70k.

I think all players pay insurance premiums through the NHLPA so that they get paid while injured and the owners aren't on the hook for it. I'm guessing Garland did get paid NHL dollars. Please correct me @mouser.

It’s the other way around. NHL contracts are guaranteed to be paid by the owners if a player is injured. The owners take out insurance for some, but not all, of the contracts that recompensates the owner in the event a player sustains a lengthy injury. Last I heard a player had to miss at least 30 games before insurance kicks in.

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

And he’s right.

Chayka should be fired if we don’t offer sheet him at max $ and whatever term it takes (and here is this a play to get him really in 4 years where he’s UFA)

Regardless of ramnifications we would have to do this. Matthews saves the franchise and gets a new arena built overnight all while increasing the value of the franchise 3-5 times instantly.

I wouldn’t hesitate. Neither should Chayka.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That Cap hit would cripple any team. I understand players wanting money but playing your career with over half the team on min wage contracts doesn't sound like a winning formula.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That Cap hit would cripple any team. I understand players wanting money but playing your career with over half the team on min wage contracts doesn't sound like a winning formula.

U r arguing about how to build a long term contender to build a fan base.

That’s a strategy and it takes years to play out. This franchise may not have that time and the risk is they run out of time and the team moves to Houston or Quebec? This guarantees they stay. It’s instant and it benefits the owner significantly financially. Need a local partner? They probably sign on for the price u paid for the team. Sponsorships? Just tripled. Season tickets? Tripled. Might need to actually cap them.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
U r arguing about how to build a long term contender to build a fan base.

That’s a strategy and it takes years to play out. This franchise may not have that time and the risk is they run out of time and the team moves to Houston or Quebec? This guarantees they stay. It’s instant and it benefits the owner significantly financially. Need a local partner? They probably sign on for the price u paid for the team. Sponsorships? Just tripled. Season tickets? Tripled. Might need to actually cap them.
I think you are seriously over-estimating the effect of a Matthews signing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think you are seriously over-estimating the effect of a Matthews signing.
Maybe. What if I’m underestimating? The decision isn’t really chayka’s. It’s Barroway’s. I think the upside trumps the downside.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe. What if I’m underestimating? The decision isn’t really chayka’s. It’s Barroway’s. I think the upside trumps the downside.
I thought the biggest issue was arena location?? How does Matthew's change that and triple season tickets? Now what happens when they have no money to sign quality players and no 1st round draft picks for 4 years? Oh and for this contract the Leafs will match and the Coyotes will be the same. And other than AZ being home and a few million why would Matthews leave his present team for the Coyotes? Way to many variables to see this as a definite gain.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I thought the biggest issue was arena location?? How does Matthew's change that and triple season tickets? Now what happens when they have no money to sign quality players and no 1st round draft picks for 4 years? Oh and for this contract the Leafs will match and the Coyotes will be the same. And other than AZ being home and a few million why would Matthews leave his present team for the Coyotes? Way to many variables to see this as a definite gain.

Back when the DBacks had both Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling on the pitching staff they were virtually guaranteed a sellout each time either one were on the mound..... even in the middle of the week. The other nights not so much. That’s what star power can do.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Back when the DBacks had both Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling on the pitching staff they were virtually guaranteed a sellout each time either one were on the mound..... even in the middle of the week. The other nights not so much. That’s what star power can do.
I didn't think I needed to point out the importance of a pitcher in baseball, the location of the baseball stadium, or the popularity of baseball. You can't compare any if these to a hockey center in a tough market with a hard to get to stadium. Unless of course those telling us for years that the arena location was the issue are simply wrong??

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
U are really of the opinion this doesn't move the needle on building a new arena? Or increasing season tickets? Sponsorship? Or a fan base in general?

I'm not arguing the Leafs not matching. I expect them to. I'm saying we have to try. Chayka and Barroway would be doing the organization a disservice if they didn't explore this.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
U are really of the opinion this doesn't move the needle on building a new arena? Or increasing season tickets? Sponsorship? Or a fan base in general?

I'm not arguing the Leafs not matching. I expect them to. I'm saying we have to try. Chayka and Barroway would be doing the organization a disservice if they didn't explore this.
I don't think Matthews triples season tickets, I don't think it gets a new owner, and no I don't think just signing Matthews gets an arena built. And if the Leafs are going to match what exactly is the point?? And if the price is the suggested $17 million I think the Coyotes are a worse team based on the Cap and present salaries and 4 years of no 1st round pick. That could have a large negative impact on the other issues of season tickets, owner, and arena.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Matthews triples season tickets, I don't think it gets a new owner, and no I don't think just signing Matthews gets an arena built. And if the Leafs are going to match what exactly is the point?? And if the price is the suggested $17 million I think the Coyotes are a worse team based on the Cap and present salaries and 4 years of no 1st round pick. That could have a large negative impact on the other issues of season tickets, owner, and arena.
5 year deal and he becomes a UFA at 28. Where we will have a better chance to sign him. That's the point.

I think you underestimate the impact. But we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
5 year deal and he becomes a UFA at 28. Where we will have a better chance to sign him. That's the point.

I think you underestimate the impact. But we are going to have to agree to disagree.
Then he moves the needle, it could be a more sensible contract and we don't give up 4 first round picks. Check out Capfriendly and look at what a $17 million contract does to the Coyotes next year. Then look at our depth and no 1st round picks coming. That was the initial discussion, not signing a UFA.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

I've also said since day one that I don't see Matthews playing whole career in Toronto as he just doesn't look comfortable. However that seems to be changing this season, I wonder if it was Lou's BS that bothered Austin??? I don't know him but maybe being the center of the hockey world also matters? Not sure anyone knows his thoughts on any of it?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Then he moves the needle, it could be a more sensible contract and we don't give up 4 first round picks. Check out Capfriendly and look at what a $17 million contract does to the Coyotes next year. Then look at our depth and no 1st round picks coming. That was the initial discussion, not signing a UFA.
I think u can make the room if TORONTO elects not to match. I don’t think that’s really a concern when u r picking up a top 5 player in the league.

U don’t give up picks if TORONTO matches.

U do have a great chance to sign him as a UFA in his prime.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think u can make the room if TORONTO elects not to match. I don’t think that’s really a concern when u r picking up a top 5 player in the league.

U don’t give up picks if TORONTO matches.

U do have a great chance to sign him as a UFA in his prime.
So let's say you are Matthews. You know Toronto will match an offer sheet and could be really hurt by the Cap. Why would you sign for a few million more and have to play 5 years with a lot less support? What's in it for Matthews? I think fans find this stuff sexy but I doubt the top end players see any major upside from an offer sheet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So let's say you are Matthews. You know Toronto will match an offer sheet and could be really hurt by the Cap. Why would you sign for a few million more and have to play 5 years with a lot less support? What's in it for Matthews? I think fans find this stuff sexy but I doubt the top end players see any major upside from an offer sheet.
Play at home. Become the face of the nhl in your home market. Growing the game in a maturing market. Maximizing your financial return.

Toronto will match. They have no choice.

The real issue is by doing so it ensures the leafs will be uncompetitive. He will have 5 years with no chance for a cup with some of his line mates likely traded for cap space.

Honestly though. Why be loyal and take less than what he deserves? So he can lose a half year salary to a lockout? He has to be loyal to Toronto because they tanked and won a lottery? He should feel in debt to an organization and play in a foreign country and pay 15-20% more per year in tax? Matthews likely playing at a 50% discount if he signs at $11M in Toronto vs signing in AZ for max cap.

I’d be in it for myself and maximizing my income. That’s me though. And I’m Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad