Speculation: 2018-2019 Roster Discussion #2 - Even Worser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was in Van when he was in charge. I don’t think he’s a great hockey mind.

You want change. Bring in Ken Holland as team President when he leaves Detroit in off season. Of course that requires a owner w $.
I think this will be the most positive and amazing year for the Coyotes on AND off ice. We won't we worried about an arena or a broke owner. Good times coming after years of futility.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t think the Hunters are going to come all the way out to Phoenix. They’ve got way too much going on at home. Even the Caps couldn’t keep them.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don’t think the Hunters are going to come all the way out to Phoenix. They’ve got way too much going on at home. Even the Caps couldn’t keep them.
That's the coach Hunter. The Manager Hunter is looking for a GM opportunity and is a very good evaluater of talent. Jakey he was assistant GM of the Leaf's for a couple seasons.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just don’t know that see either of them going anywayere outside of Toronto, Detroit, Ottawa, or Buffalo.
There was plenty of talk that Hunter was going to the Islanders but obviously that didn't happen. Not that long ago the same was said about McCrimmon in Brandon and here he is in Vegas.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just as we start moving towards tank city Galchenyuk gets hot. 9 points in last 8 games.

Domi has 5 in his last 8 before we start moaning about that deal again.

Edit: Make that 10 points in last 8. Galchenyuk having a 3 point game with a period and a bit left.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Just as we start moving towards tank city Galchenyuk gets hot. 9 points in last 8 games.

Edit: Make that 10 points in last 8. Galchenyuk having a 3 point game with a period and a bit left.
I suspect the trade winds up being even for both teams. That is how it should work anyway and maybe both players are better fits with their new team as well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Galchenyuk heats up he'll be a nice piece to add to OEL when we make the deal for Matthews after he tells Toronto he wants to come home.
Matthews, J Hughes and Keller together would be a nice USNTDP alumni group. Fischer can take the group picture.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Chucky has been our best forward the last dozen or so games. He has been outstanding, the player I envisioned when we made that trade.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
All this tank talk is completely asinine

I see your point seeing as we are only halfway through the season there's still plenty amount of time to go on a run and fight for a wildcard spot, but with our team being riddled with injuries (most long term) is it really that asinine? We are currently 4 points out of last place.

Raanta- Our starting goalie probable to sit the rest of the year

Dvorak- Our 2nd line Center (at least he was) and one of our best in the faceoff circle is out for the season

Demers- Say what you will about him but he is one of our top four defenseman and a right-handed shot which is very important on a team full of lefties. Especially on the power play. Receiving a pass on the backhand makes things extremely difficult to attempting to set up. Probably out for the season

Grabner- Our team's best penalty-killer and one of the bright spots this season so far. Out indefinitely with no timetable for return.

Schmaltz- A very important piece down the middle or on the wing with first line chemistry with our best offensive player. Could be out a month or so.

And that list to the list of retroactive injuries that have caused some of the dismay including Jakob Chychrun, Alex Galchenyuk, and Vinnie Hinostroza mixed with the fact that we let somebody clearly inexperienced in today's NHL run our power play...i would say the tank talk is pretty accurate.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

What is asinine is to be a perennial Wild Card chaser. That's like a dog chasing it's own tail. Do it right and build a real team through the draft finally. Fed up with circling the toilet for decades and shitty drafting. Success is playing for the Cup, not just making the playoffs to feel good about ourselves.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The only way out of this mediocre spiral is the draft. Winning a lottery helps. A top 4 selection next best thing.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
all we need is some good drafting

Tampa: Kucherov (58th), Point (79th), Palat (208th), Killorn (77th),
Colorado: Rantanen (10th)
Calgray: Gaudreau (104th), Monahan (6th), Tkachuk (6th)
Jets: Ehlers (9th), Connor (17th), Little (12th), Schiefele (7th)

Keller & Chychrun are the start...we need more players that will perform that are outside the 1st round. Garland (123rd) is a nice story and Capobianco (63rd) looks like a stud and Fischer (32nd) can be a 50pt player who can score 30 goals...we're getting there. Maybe the new guys that are performing well will begin to right the travesty the last 10 years have been.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Some people are just "if you're not first, you're last"... 30/31 are unnecessarily unhappy every season, but that's their choice, their prerogative.

"Levels of success" is a thing...although we haven't had much the last 7 years (or 22, depending on how one measures it :laugh: )

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I still believe it's not the drafting in AZ that is the problem. It's the development.

In Wpg since day 1 they committed to the draft and develop model of building a contender. They got some luck along the way (Laine lottery) but really it was the commitment that the gm followed. Some players took longer in juniors/minors than others but those decisions were never about filling a roster spot or competing for the playoffs, those decisions were always about making the player the best he could be.

In AZ, Turris and Boedker were rushed because they needed to fill spots. Mueller was never taught to play defensively. Perlini and Fischer needed more consistency in linemates or roles in order to get their offensive confidence to where it should be. Strome was traded below full value because he didn't fit the coach's vision.

When things don't go as planned it's better to play it conservative. That hasn't been the approach here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I mean, drafting sucks, too, but I'm far more concerned about our development and consistent inability to see past the next game/shift.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think its more drafting and circumstances than development. I say that because what if Wheeler and Turris stayed, Mueler didn't have concussion issues, and Hanzal didn't have back issues. We missed on Strome and Gormley big time.

Its not like players don't play for different coaches and systems there entire career. We haven't had any young players we thought were busts or didn't develop here and then went somewhere else and developed into a much better player or at their draft expectations. The verdict is still out on Strome, but he could be the only one. I do agree, development needs to be better but it hasn't been the major problem.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You said Domi was a third line winger. He's currently at or near ppg playing C. You said Strome was going to be scratched and out of the league by February. He's currently looking like a solid 2C.
Wheeler took less money for a chance to escape.
Turris was on his way to being drummed out of the league by a team who was bold enough to say they saw him as a third or fourth line center (the same season he showed he was a top-six C after forcing a trade). We used Langkow in the top six instead that season and eventually were so desperate to have stalwarts like Cal O'Reilly, O'Sullivan, and Marc Pouliot see regular time (We did later go get Vermette which managed to at least patch the immediate hole. But also traded Oscar Lindberg for a career AHL guy). When we actually "showcased" him, we threw him on the fourth line.
Mueller got thrown to the wolves first by TGO, THEN he got the same Turris treatment before escaping where he got a big post-trade bump before being concussed.
Gormley lost what little mobility he had to injury and then disappeared.

Maybe the org should figure out how to develop what talent it does manage to get. Why exactly do our young guys keep asking for tickets out or town if we're so damned good for their careers and development? And why do we insist on running a player 's value into the ground before moving on?

Reactions: CC96 and RemoAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad