Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats Updated 3.1.19) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't bring Själin over now so i'm not taking that bet, your evaluation of Allsvenskan and your comparisons in that post are still really off.

I think it's wrong for people to judge HA separate from SHL. I always felt those should be judged together because of the promotion/relegation aspect of the Swedish hockey system, unlike Liiga, which is a closed league.

I think the vast majority of NA hockey fans wrongfully assumes HockeyAllsvenskan is minor league hockey because they compare it to the NHL/AHL system

Reactions: Joey Bones

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
A nice optimistic comparison to Reunanen is Markus Nutivaara. Similar impact in Liiga (Reunanen 1 year younger), Nutivaara had a bit better underlying numbers and slightly less Avg TOI but his transition to NHL was pretty smooth. Obviously not all great Liiga D-men transitions that easy but they are pretty comparable in playstyle aswell.

Edit: Since he's not the most high profile player i'll just add that Markus Nutivaara is a good 2nd pairing D-man, posting good counting stats and good underlying numbers.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
One of the reasons I have always advocated drafting Swedes is that to me, the SHL (and by extension, Allsvenskan), most resembles the North American professional game. Just the flow, the tactics, even the speed to some degree. That's not to say I am opposed to players from other leagues, but I really like guys coming out of Sweden.

Crash Davis

Nov 6, 2009
CT
It should be noted that Barron had a rough game tonight. Some of that is not being as fast as Yale, some of that is fatigue and some of it is missing linemates. With all the injuries up front, Barron has been affected the most basically slotting in with random guys every few shifts. Still got an assist tonight this was easily his worst game since November.
Drury and Gorton were there last night too. My guess is they were also watching Snively from Yale.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good to hear some news on Lindbom
It's tough because he got healthy for the J20SE Top 10, which is where they take the top five from the North and South regions and combine them. They play a round robin and make up 10 of the 16 team that will play in the playoffs. So he didn't get an opportunity to get some easier games as he got back into game shape; he's immediately thrown in against the top half of the league, exclusively. His last two starts have been better, so hopefully he can keep it up and get some more as the season winds down and maybe even some playoff games. The other goalie, Wallden, is also playing well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't bring Själin over now so i'm not taking that bet, your evaluation of Allsvenskan and your comparisons in that post are still really off.
I think it's wrong for people to judge HA separate from SHL. I always felt those should be judged together because of the promotion/relegation aspect of the Swedish hockey system, unlike Liiga, which is a closed league.

I think the vast majority of NA hockey fans wrongfully assumes HockeyAllsvenskan is minor league hockey because they compare it to the NHL/AHL system

I just don’t see where @Beacon is so MUCH off in his statement. I follow KHL a lot closer and my observation there is that the quality of teams could be split in three tiers relative to the AHL: the top 1/3 is unquestionably better, the middle is about on a part with the better AHL teams while the last 1/3 is closer to AHL bottom teams. Couldn’t you do the same if you look at Liiga and Allsvenskan combined (as @Amazing Kreiderman suggesting) and viewing Liiga relegation “competition” and HA top teams as one middle tier?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just don’t see where @Beacon is so MUCH off in his statement. I follow KHL a lot closer and my observation there is that the quality of teams could be split in three tiers relative to the AHL: the top 1/3 is unquestionably better, the middle is about on a part with the better AHL teams while the last 1/3 is closer to AHL bottom teams. Couldn’t you do the same if you look at Liiga and Allsvenskan combined (as @Amazing Kreiderman suggesting) and viewing Liiga relegation “competition” and HA top teams as one middle tier?

SHL and Allsvenskan.

Liiga (Finland) is a closed league. No promotion/relegation with Mestis

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@eco's bones & @Amazing Kreiderman just to add onto your convo with Reunanen....

I don't think he's one of those players fans need to worry about coming over. He's been at prospect development camps before and has also had a few interviews within the organization, albeit not on video from what I can find. He's shown interest in the Rangers/NHL so I'm not worried. Like you both mentioned, NYR has time to sign him. He recently signed an extension with his club (think two year extension), but Liiga should have a player agreement with the NHL on sending players back on loans.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
@eco's bones & @Amazing Kreiderman just to add onto your convo with Reunanen....

I don't think he's one of those players fans need to worry about coming over. He's been at prospect development camps before and has also had a few interviews within the organization, albeit not on video from what I can find. He's shown interest in the Rangers/NHL so I'm not worried. Like you both mentioned, NYR has time to sign him. He recently signed an extension with his club (think two year extension), but Liiga should have a player agreement with the NHL on sending players back on loans.

Yes. Liiga has a transfer agreement with the NHL. Heponiemi, Juolevi and Sami Vatanen are just a couple of examples of players being loaned out to Finnish teams after signing their ELC.

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I thought I posted it here but I guess I didn't actually do so. Huska has apparently lost his starting job after he got pulled earlier in the month. The other goalie, Vomacka, a Nashville pick and Freshman, finished that game and started the next four. Huska hasn't played since. The UConn student newspaper responded to me and said after Huska was pulled, the coach said the starting position was "open" or something. Looks like as long as Vomacka plays well (he has been very good, allowing 6 goals total in his last 4 games, going 3-1 including a SO), he's the starter.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
It should be noted that Barron had a rough game tonight. Some of that is not being as fast as Yale, some of that is fatigue and some of it is missing linemates. With all the injuries up front, Barron has been affected the most basically slotting in with random guys every few shifts. Still got an assist tonight this was easily his worst game since November.

Thanks for the update. Awesome getting this perspective.

Makes his good games even more exciting to read about.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Virta started his SHL season with like 1 assist in the first 6 games or something. Now he has 11 pts in 26 games. Its not bad, the SHL is a low scoring league. The 5th player in scoring has 33 pts in 42 games. If you are at a little more than 0.5 PPG you are one of the top scorer for your team, if not the top scorer.

Virta has been at that level after having warmed up for Örebro. I hope that Virta can play in the NHL next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad