Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 4.25.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Realistically, a top-6 prospect should be expected to put up near that in his 2nd season. He has more than two full seasons of NA pro experience.

Realistically, he’s 19. I’m sure I’m not the first to post it here including that most 19 year olds are still skating with and against other kids, some of which are 16.

Edit: Chytil barely missed being in 2018 draft. How many 2018 draftees played in the NHL this past season?

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Realistically, a top-6 prospect should be expected to put up near that in his 2nd season. He has more than two full seasons of NA pro experience.

Most young prospects really hit their stride in their 3rd full NHL season. For college players it's different, but I am not expecting amazing seasons for any of our prospects. Chytil and Kakko hitting 35 would be great.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Realistically, he’s 19. I’m sure I’m not the first to post it here including that most 19 year olds are still skating with and against other kids, some of which are 16.

Edit: Chytil barely missed being in 2018 draft. How many 2018 draftees played in the NHL this past season?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Chytil if he remains relatively healthy to get to 35-40 points next year. He had 23 this year--he is young so who knows but one would expect him to get better. He has a full season in and the talent is there. I would hope Howden to get in the same range too. He finished kind of strong--though I think he eventually might turn into a 3rd line guy and Chytil top 6.

Kakko IMO is a better player than Nico Hischier and at least as good as Andrei Svechnikov. Hischier 52 points making the jump for the Devils and Svechnikov 37 for the Canes--both of these guys came out of the CHL--Kakko comes out of Liiga. Kakko's playing against adults in a tougher league. Kakko's bigger and stronger than Hischier for sure. I don't know what I'd project as far as Kakko's production but he should do well. Another example--Brady Tkachuk had 45 for Ottawa last year--Kakko's relatively in the same size range and a bit more talented--there are some similarities in their styles though--they both continually attack the net. And then there's Kotkaniemi who had 34 with Montreal and Kakko is supposed to be better than him too.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

He's the same age as kids who are just leaving the Juniors right now. Would it be ok if he had put up giddy numbers against children in Canada, and then spent most of the next season in the AHL, followed by sheltered 8 minutes a game for the Rangers beginning around the TDL? He shouldn't be punished by making the NHL so early. If he sticks in the NHL with around 25-30 points as a third liner, given his age, it's solid. If he can crack 40 points, it's great.

Reactions: pblawr

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Chytil if he remains relatively healthy to get to 35-40 points next year. He had 23 this year--he is young so who knows but one would expect him to get better. He has a full season in and the talent is there. I would hope Howden to get in the same range too. He finished kind of strong--though I think he eventually might turn into a 3rd line guy and Chytil top 6.

Kakko IMO is a better player than Nico Hischier and at least as good as Andrei Svechnikov. Hischier 52 points making the jump for the Devils and Svechnikov 37 for the Canes--both of these guys came out of the CHL--Kakko comes out of Liiga. Kakko's playing against adults in a tougher league. Kakko's bigger and stronger than Hischier for sure. I don't know what I'd project as far as Kakko's production but he should do well. Another example--Brady Tkachuk had 45 for Ottawa last year--Kakko's relatively in the same size range and a bit more talented--there are some similarities in their styles though--they both continually attack the net. And then there's Kotkaniemi who had 34 with Montreal and Kakko is supposed to be better than him too.

To me the example in your post strongly supports the notion that “use” including linemates will be the most determinant variable for our prospects’ scoring next season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can't wait to do the prospect rankings after the draft. We'll have a seriously deep prospect pool.

We will, but we'll also have graduated Chytil, Howden, Georgiev, and Andersson I believe. So that'll be #2, #4,#6, and #9 gone from the spring.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's the same age as kids who are just leaving the Juniors right now. Would it be ok if he had put up giddy numbers against children in Canada, and then spent most of the next season in the AHL, followed by sheltered 8 minutes a game for the Rangers beginning around the TDL? He shouldn't be punished by making the NHL so early. If he sticks in the NHL with around 25-30 points as a third liner, given his age, it's solid. If he can crack 40 points, it's great.

I thought my yesterday’s post saved you typing time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the example in your post strongly supports the notion that “use” including linemates will be the most determinant variable for our prospects’ scoring next season.

I see Kakko pretty quickly becoming more of a driver of his line and I there's a good chance that Chytil will get there some day too--he's not there yet. But you know everyone's got Kreider--so someone else will have to ride shotgun with Z-bad and Buch.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I see Kakko pretty quickly becoming more of a driver of his line and I there's a good chance that Chytil will get there some day too--he's not there yet. But you know everyone's got Kreider--so someone else will have to ride shotgun with Z-bad and Buch.

Kakko probably it. I’m getting more confident that IF Kreider is moved then we will see a high profile UFA signing or trade return, whether it’s Panarin or someone else.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kakko probably it. I’m getting more confident that IF Kreider is moved then we will see a high profile UFA signing or trade return, whether it’s Panarin or someone else.

I think so too. Brady Tkachuk No. 4 overall last year comes into a kind of depleted Ottawa lineup this year and gets 45 points---this is a guy who had like 8 goals at Boston U. last year. Tkachuk's a very good player already--he's going to get better. I think most people expect Kakko to be a better player than Tkachuk and when you watch Kakko he's continually attacking the net. But anyway a 2OA in a very good draft is a player you expect to be able to lead a team.

As far as getting a replacement for Kreider--I don't want Kakko necessarily playing on a line next year with Zibanejad and Buchnevich. I'd prefer him on another line and to me if we got Panarin--that would be a very dangerous line right from the start. We would have two very good offensive lines then with young players and with Kravtsov fitting in somewhere and Chytil should have a better year and I think we'd start to have players falling into roles like Howden becoming the 3c......and when players start falling into roles that's when team's begin to gel.

We'd still have to sort our D out a bit though. We're going to have good goaltending though it might not always look like it with the stats. But Henrik, Alex and Igor--there's a lot there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->