Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Wow, that's a very important position to be playing in as Hughes is a beast.

Ya and he has looked good doing it. He isn't deferring to Hughes everytime he gets the puck. Good outlet passes and he can skate pretty well for a big guy(6'3 RHD). Hopefully when his season is done he decides to sign with us.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Interesting reports out of Niagara.

Initially it was going to be us acquiring Studnicka and Brassard from Oshawa for Leyton Moore and picks. Before it was announced Owen Sound came in offering Suzuki and Durzi for the same deal. Niagara wants the Owen Sound deal but Leyton Moore might not agree to the trade. This could also be off-putting enough to Oshawa that Niagara just gets nothing done by the deadline.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Olivier Rodrique (W 24-6-0) made 16 saves, as the Voltigeurs ran the Cateractes 8-5.
QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.
Jan. 5/19 – Voltigeurs 8 Cataractes 5 – QMJHL

Ryan McLeod had 2 assists, no shots, won 9 of 16 faceoffs, was +3 and named third star, as the Spirit struck up the band over the Rangers 5-2.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
Jan. 5/19 – KIT (2) – SAG (5) – Ontario Hockey League

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Storm traded for Markus Phillips and Fedor Gordeev yesterday. Two LHD. Wonder what effect that has on Samorukov's assignments.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Maksimov just did what he does best. Team comes back to tie the game 4-4. He takes an o-zone penalty with 3 minutes to go. Hamilton capitalizes. I've never seen a junior player with such a temper in the offensive zone.

Edit: Luckily Tomasino tied it for Niagara. He is REALLY heating up. If he is somehow there when we pick in round 2, we'd be terribly stupid to pass on him. Oilers brass have been watching him closely.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maksimov just did what he does best. Team comes back to tie the game 4-4. He takes an o-zone penalty with 3 minutes to go. Hamilton capitalizes. I've never seen a junior player with such a temper in the offensive zone.

Edit: Luckily Tomasino tied it for Niagara. He is REALLY heating up. If he is somehow there when we pick in round 2, we'd be terribly stupid to pass on him. Oilers brass have been watching him closely.

Benoit Maksimov or Kirill Pouliot?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I thought what he did best was score goals?

Reactions: Senor Catface

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Robin Norell obviously stoked to get traded to the Oilers!
Scores his 1st goal of the season and goes +2 in a game that his team, Djurgarden, lost 5-3 (all EV goals)!

I also noticed that "the Oilers" sent Garrison over to tutor the kid with some advice on being and NHLer and playing in EDM. Signed with Djurgarden yesterday.
Good call in sweet-talking Garrison to be waived by Chicago for failing to report!
:)

PS. Norell came with the Manning trade.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He'd score more with less time in the Penalty box. He has 74 penalty minutes. Nobody else in the top 100 even has 60. Most are under 40. The closest guy to him in the top 25 is his linemate Jones with 44

What you're bringing up is a legitimate concern.

But I think teaching a kid to relax and control his temper is way easier than teaching him how to snipe goals.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What you're bringing up is a legitimate concern.

But I think teaching a kid to relax and control his temper is way easier than teaching him how to snipe goals.
Also easier to teach him to call his passion a bit too.

He is a passionate player and that's a great thing to have.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
Just want to thank oilers'72 and some others who provide insight into our prospects for those who may not get to see them in person. Kinda sucks they moved/changed the Penticton tournament, as it at least gave me a bit of a taste to what is going on with some of them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He'd score more with less time in the Penalty box. He has 74 penalty minutes. Nobody else in the top 100 even has 60. Most are under 40. The closest guy to him in the top 25 is his linemate Jones with 44

A guy with size that can score and plays with an edge. Imagine if he could be our James Neal (pre-Calgary James Neal). That would be huge out of a depth pick.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
A guy with size that can score and plays with an edge. Imagine if he could be our James Neal (pre-Calgary James Neal). That would be huge out of a depth pick.

Under an NHL coach like Hitchcock, I think he'd quickly learn to better contain his aggression, or improve on the 'battles' he chooses to fight. Thereby limiting the bad or untimely penalties. I'm not worried about that at all.

It's easier to dial back a player's aggression than it is trying to make a soft player into an aggressive one. Huge fan of Maksimov, and think there's a good chance he turns into a useful player for us.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In former Oiler prospect news, Erik Gustafsson sits 4th on the Hawks in scoring & leads all Chicago Blackhawk D in scoring with 26 points in 42 games

Swing and a miss to let this prospect go

Reactions: LaGu

North

Jun 25, 2009
In former Oiler prospect news, Erik Gustafsson sits 4th on the Hawks in scoring & leads all Chicago Blackhawk D in scoring with 26 points in 42 games

Swing and a miss to let this prospect go

Reports at the time were that he didn’t want to sign with us but I’m not sure how much of an effort was made to sign him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Reports at the time were that he didn’t want to sign with us but I’m not sure how much of an effort was made to sign him.

Not sure what to make of this. On one hand, could be Oilers MSM spinning it to put the Oilers org in the best light. On the other hand, couldnt blame the kid for not wanting to sign in on of the worst run sports organizations ever (if true)

Probably what happened is Oilers had their collection of young D prospects (a lot of whom were former Oilers kids and/or Oil kings players) and saw this guy as some alien all the way over in Europe so didnt sign him to save the contract space. Even though the season right before we failed to sign him, he had a breakout season in the SHL with 20 points in 50 games (Klingberg had 28, Wennberg 21). So him becoming a solid prospect wasnt all the surprising, he was a good one when we had his rights

Noone could have predicted him being this good. But when you make so so so many small mistakes, the odds are one of those small mistakes will turn out pretty bad

Guy would have been first pairing on the Oilers right now. #2 on the Hawks right now for icetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad