Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I am happy to hear that what you see is very close to my impression. I thought he actually started to look very good at the end of his draft year. I also agree that his skating took a significant step forward last year.

I think the Oilers need t focus on goal scorers. I wanted them to take a shot at Mascherin last year. For me he is under rated and I am not surprised to see that he is one of the top rookie goal scores in the AHL.

There are a couple of undrafted guys who are really putting the puck in the net this year in the OHL. Do you or any of the others who follow the OHL happen to have opinions on Tye Felhaber or Justin Braseau. I have seen Braseau but do not remember watching Felhaber. Both guys have been passed over twice so they are UFA's.

Braseau is a big big dude with very nice hands though not really overly phsical. 37 goals in 37 game this year and 39 last year on a pretty mediocre NB team. He even had 22 in his draft+1 year but only 37 points. Though no one in NB scores much so assists are not so easy to come by. Supposedly he was really raw in his draft year but he showed some decent skills, though I can't attest to this first hand so am only going on what I can find.

Felhaber has 42 in 38. The next highest scorer on the 67's has 12 goals. I honestly know nothing about him but he has decent size and is suppose to be a very good skater. He is way ahead of his team mate Chemelevki who is a year younger but sems to be one of San Jose's better prospects.

I have time for Felhaber. He scored 3 against Niagara the other night. Man among boys out there

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have time for Felhaber. He scored 3 against Niagara the other night. Man among boys out there
I think the Oilers need to go hard for guys like this. Clear some contracts if necessary. If one of these guys turns out it is a massive win. The chances of that happening are probably as good as getting an impact player from any pick outside the second round.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think the Oilers need to go hard for guys like this. Clear some contracts if necessary. If one of these guys turns out it is a massive win. The chances of that happening are probably as good as getting an impact player from any pick outside the second round.

A good example of this is Cameron Hebig.

He's basically doing better than the majority of our draft picks in the AHL.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am happy to hear that what you see is very close to my impression. I thought he actually started to look very good at the end of his draft year. I also agree that his skating took a significant step forward last year.

I think the Oilers need t focus on goal scorers. I wanted them to take a shot at Mascherin last year. For me he is under rated and I am not surprised to see that he is one of the top rookie goal scores in the AHL.

There are a couple of undrafted guys who are really putting the puck in the net this year in the OHL. Do you or any of the others who follow the OHL happen to have opinions on Tye Felhaber or Justin Braseau. I have seen Braseau but do not remember watching Felhaber. Both guys have been passed over twice so they are UFA's.

Braseau is a big big dude with very nice hands though not really overly phsical. 37 goals in 37 game this year and 39 last year on a pretty mediocre NB team. He even had 22 in his draft+1 year but only 37 points. Though no one in NB scores much so assists are not so easy to come by. Supposedly he was really raw in his draft year but he showed some decent skills, though I can't attest to this first hand so am only going on what I can find.

Felhaber has 42 in 38. The next highest scorer on the 67's has 12 goals. I honestly know nothing about him but he has decent size and is suppose to be a very good skater. He is way ahead of his team mate Chemelevki who is a year younger but sems to be one of San Jose's better prospects.
Brazeau always had the raw skills he currently possesses, even in his draft year. His skating at that point was what you'd expect from a 6'6 kid at 17, so there's always been some concern regarding his upside. But it was pretty clear at that point that he was eventually going to be a dominant forward in the OHL in the future.

Since then his skating has improved leaps and bounds, he's learned how to use his size to his advantage and throws the odd check here and there. He's got one of the deadliest shots in the CHL hands down this season and he regularly finds himself on the highlight reels. The guy is single-handedly dragging the Battalion into the playoff race.

It's difficult to tell how he'll transition to the pro game seeing how Nick Paul has struggled to really establish himself in Ottawa. He was another player who had an obvious size advantage in junior. But without question he's the best pure goal scorer available this year in regards to OAs in the OHL.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
How good of a team is Saginaw? Where would he likely slot into the lineup?

Fan of Saginaw here. Saginaw is currently sitting 3rd in the OHL western conference behind 1st place London and one point behind 2nd place SSM.
They are 22-11-2-2 overall but they are 8-1-1 in thier last 10 games and have really improved since making a coaching change earlier in the season.

Ryan will play on one of the top 2 lines (doesn't really matter which as they are probably near equal talent wise). Likely linemates may include undrafted but talented Cole Coskey (20 g 25a 33gp), Blade Jenkins 2018 NYI 5th(17 g 21a in 36gp), Cole Perfetti '21 Eligible (15 g 17a 32 gp), Damien Giroux 2018 MIN 5th (16g 12a 36 gp), Brady Gilmour 2017 DET 7th (8g 16a 33gp).

Saginaw also has 2018 NYI 2nd round pick Bode Wilde (10 g 30 a 31 gp) on defense who will be joining McLeod on the 1st PP.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How good of a team is Saginaw? Where would he likely slot into the lineup?

Currently 3rd in the western conference and a point off the division lead. 11 wins in 14 games since switches coaches/philosophies. Likely would be the first line center with Cole Coskey on his RW (Most recently a Buffalo camp invite) and either Minnesota pick Damien Giroux, Islanders pick Blade Jenkins or top 2020 prospect Cole Perfetti on his his LW.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Fan of Saginaw here. Saginaw is currently sitting 3rd in the OHL western conference behind 1st place London and one point behind 2nd place SSM.
They are 22-11-2-2 overall but they are 8-1-1 in thier last 10 games and have really improved since making a coaching change earlier in the season.

Ryan will play on one of the top 2 lines (doesn't really matter which as they are probably near equal talent wise). Likely linemates may include undrafted but talented Cole Coskey (20 g 25a 33gp), Blade Jenkins 2018 NYI 5th(17 g 21a in 36gp), Cole Perfetti '21 Eligible (15 g 17a 32 gp), Damien Giroux 2018 MIN 5th (16g 12a 36 gp), Brady Gilmour 2017 DET 7th (8g 16a 33gp).

Saginaw also has 2018 NYI 2nd round pick Bode Wilde (10 g 30 a 31 gp) on defense who will be joining McLeod on the 1st PP.

you're too quick

Reactions: bcspragu

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Ryan McLeod to Saginaw for Duncan Penman and 5 draft picks.

Duncan-Penman-1024x512.jpg

Steelheads Complete Trade with Spirit – Mississauga Steelheads

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty low return for McLeod. Penman isn't that interesting of a prospect.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Olivier Rodrique (W 23-6-0) made 30 saves, had an assist and was named first star, as the Voltigeurs triumphantly crossed the river of the Saguenéens 5-2.
QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.
Jan 3/19 – Saguenéens 2 Voltigeurs 5 – QMJHL

Kirill Maksimov had a PP goal and an assist, 7 shots, served 2 for hooking and was -1, as the Knights chained up the IceDogs 5-4.Evan Bouchard wasn't in the lineup.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
Jan. 3/19 – LDN (5) – NIAG (4) – OT – Ontario Hockey League

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hoping that Bouchard gets back to business tonight after a disappointing tournament for Canada.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hoping that Bouchard gets back to business tonight after a disappointing tournament for Canada.

Perhaps something to keep in mind for future Oiler prospects when it's brought up that he should be sent back to junior so that "he can dominate at the WJHC"...it's not a given that he'll dominate, or even play that well. It's a tough, short tournament where the easy games turn into much harder tests in a big hurry.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Samoroukov had a helluva wjc

All three of our dmen had prominent positions in the jrs this year. Good sign when they played for top countries as well(Canada, USA, Russia).

D has turned into an area of strength for the Oilers prospects. Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Samorukov, Kemp, Bouchard, Berglund. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of these players attached to a pick at the trade deadline for a forward.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All three of our dmen had prominent positions in the jrs this year. Good sign when they played for top countries as well(Canada, USA, Russia).

D has turned into an area of strength for the Oilers prospects. Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Samorukov, Kemp, Bouchard, Berglund. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of these players attached to a pick at the trade deadline for a forward.

What pairing has Kemp been on?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Perhaps something to keep in mind for future Oiler prospects when it's brought up that he should be sent back to junior so that "he can dominate at the WJHC"...it's not a given that he'll dominate, or even play that well. It's a tough, short tournament where the easy games turn into much harder tests in a big hurry.

I mentioned before the tournament to remember what a tire fire of a tournament Dumba had so not to get too high or low if things didn't break right for him.

He was playing with Quinn Hughes even strength. No powerplay time but he has been leaned on for the pk.

Wow, that's a very important position to be playing in as Hughes is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->