Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
We'd be moving players to clear cap, you're going to see a downgrade in depth and there's no room to acquire any impact UFA, trades will be for our roster player (Callahan, Miller, Gourde, Palat etc) for picks, prospects or cheap 4th liners.

Unless a prospect comes and blows training camp away, Cooper will have less to work with next year, if you're looking forwards to July 1 for roster improvements, you'll be sorely disappointed.

As for the D - nothing really special, 1 of the 3 will be re-signed, that leaves Hedman, McD, Sergachev and Cernak, Rutta likely re-signed and one prospect makes the jump.
To be honest. I don't want to see Rutta anymore.
Maybe we can resign Stralman, at a lower price (I hope)...
We'll see...

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
If we're talking trying to get guys to waive their NMCs...I'd be starting with Stamkos. He's the epitome of "not built for the playoffs" and would free up the most cap space. Perimeter player, not physical, PP-dependent, can't win 1 on 1 battles, turnover machine, poor captain, takes stupid penalties...the list could go on forever.

Reactions: DaBolts

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I definitely think we need to move one of Palat and TJ at a minimum. Call Edmonton. Either of those guys would make that team better overnight. Take a low draft pick in return as a formality. Pocket the extra cap space.

I'm indifferent about moving Gourde. I do feel like using him in the top 6 for any length of time is kind of a stretch. But one Gourde-type guy in the bottom 6 is always good to have. Maybe Martel can be that guy for cheap? If you squint really hard, lol?

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
If we're talking trying to get guys to waive their NMCs...I'd be starting with Stamkos. He's the epitome of "not built for the playoffs" and would free up the most cap space. Perimeter player, not physical, PP-dependent, can't win 1 on 1 battles, turnover machine, poor captain, takes stupid penalties...the list could go on forever.
So waive the NMC...trade Stamkos.
Then trade Kucherov too because he's sucked in the PO.
Maybe also Vasy who has allowed many goals in the last 6 playoffs games.

Then...cry because the team does not qualify for the playoffs.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
So waive the NMC...trade Stamkos.
Then trade Kucherov too because he's sucked in the PO.
Maybe also Vasy who has allowed many goals in the last 6 playoffs games.

Then...cry because the team does not qualify for the playoffs.

Yea, pretty sure I only said Stamkos.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They're the easy move but not sure that's the best move for the team - why are we exploring the easier moves first that actually make our team worse? Palat and Johnson have plateaued, they're harder to move but they're also older and worse versions of Miller and Gourde at this point.

Gourde and Miller were bounced around the lineup and still produced just as well as Palat and Johnson who were put in their best positions to succeed, if you played Gourde next to Point/Kuch next year and Stamkos will Miller we'd save just as much money and actually improve in the top-6. If we're going to talk about complacency issues keeping the same core and cutting the new pieces doesn't make sense. If you're not changing Cooper, start changing some of his "boys" who have way too much favor.

Moving Palat and Johnson would be a turning page for this team and as a known quantity they have better trade value.

I think Gourde has the most value. He struggled last year in the playoffs as well as this year. But mainly, he's probably the guy who'll bring back the biggest piece.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Gourde has the most value. He struggled last year in the playoffs as well as this year. But mainly, he's probably the guy who'll bring back the biggest piece.

Based on what though? Gourde is basically a sophomore in the league with no name value - Johnson and Palat are very recognized due to past accomplishments, they would easily return more imo. There have been trade rumors about Johnson for a top-4 D for over a year, I don't think Gourde returns that. Johnson is still identified as a center and Palat's 2 way game is off reputation at this point.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I get they will take their time assessing what they got. So for now the statement is “we have who we have, let’s go from there”. Maybe this is more about the when. Would’ve been nice if they left that open for now instead of “we slumped at the wrong time lol”.

But the fan in me says “what a joke”. Ridiculous.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Based on what though? Gourde is basically a sophomore in the league with no name value - Johnson and Palat are very recognized due to past accomplishments, they would easily return more imo. There have been trade rumors about Johnson for a top-4 D for over a year, I don't think Gourde returns that. Johnson is still identified as a center and Palat's 2 way game is off reputation at this point.

I don't think so. Gourde's had the most recent 60 point season. ...Palat maybe, because of his 2-way reputation. Gourde is younger and has put up the most points in each of the last two years. I think he has the most value, which is why people won't want to move him. And that's understandable, but he's also a guy who's struggled in the playoffs quite a bit, and could maybe return a similar value forward who brings something else to the table.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I'd put Johnson and Gourde about even in terms of trade value....and both way ahead of Palat (and Killorn for that matter).

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Out of curiosity, since I haven't watched any of the exit interviews, did anyone (players, Cooper, JBB) give any specific explanations for us getting bounced in the 1st round this year vs ECF last year besides the generic "CBJ had a solid gameplan"? I understand not wanting to throw yourself or a colleague under the bus or expose your weaknesses, but frankly the vagueness and lack of accountability that's been shown so far has been staggering. Basically saying, "This was our business model that we were betting on but failed miserably...oh well" isn't good enough to the fans, especially current and potential season ticket holders.

Did the media ask about Coburn not playing? Hedman's health early on? Our inability to beat a trap? Vasy seeing the puck? Etc etc. Were any of these questions answered?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Out of curiosity, since I haven't watched any of the exit interviews, did anyone (players, Cooper, JBB) give any specific explanations for us getting bounced in the 1st round this year vs ECF last year besides the generic "CBJ had a solid gameplan"? I understand not wanting to throw yourself or a colleague under the bus or expose your weaknesses, but frankly the vagueness and lack of accountability that's been shown so far has been staggering. Basically saying, "This was our business model that we were betting on but failed miserably...oh well" isn't good enough to the fans, especially current and potential season ticket holders.

Did the media ask about Coburn not playing? Hedman's health early on? Our inability to beat a trap? Vasy seeing the puck? Etc etc. Were any of these questions answered?

I'm not sure if I'll watch them, but I assume any mention of CBJ's "gameplan" is an indictment of Cooper. Given the talent level of this team, they shouldn't have been able to come up with a gameplan we couldn't beat, that is, if we'd had a solid gameplan of our own.

That's not to take the blame off the players. There's plenty of blame for everybody, given how spectacularly we imploded. The one guy who I don't think shares in the responsibility is Hedman, who was clearly not even close to ready to play Games 1 and 2.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

What does your heart tell you

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Before I watch the exit interviews, just two questions:

1. Was Cooper fired yet?

2. Will I have an aneurysm from fury from watching this?

Thank you and please keep my health and blood pressure under consideration.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Vasi said Columbus got to him with bodies in front. Gee, wouldn’t it be nice if we had the big bodies to do that. Or maybe some guys who could move Columbus players out from in front of Vasi. Never mind, no changes needed.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We'd be moving players to clear cap, you're going to see a downgrade in depth and there's no room to acquire any impact UFA, trades will be for our roster player (Callahan, Miller, Gourde, Palat etc) for picks, prospects or cheap 4th liners.

Unless a prospect comes and blows training camp away, Cooper will have less to work with next year, if you're looking forwards to July 1 for roster improvements, you'll be sorely disappointed.

As for the D - nothing really special, 1 of the 3 will be re-signed, that leaves Hedman, McD, Sergachev and Cernak, Rutta likely re-signed and one prospect makes the jump.

Why do you think we'd see a downgrade in depth if we moved out a few players like Palat, Johnson or Miller? Palat had 6 ES goals last year and the same amount of ES points as Joseph, who had 13 ES goals. Put Joseph in his spot and even if Joseph doesn't make a huge jump in production it should be close to equal with the way Palat has been lately. Then you can replace Joseph in the bottom 6 with Volkov or Raddysh if they want a RH shot.

Miller wasn't even being used properly so hard to have an exact replacement because are you replacing a 4th liner or top 6 guy? We can bring up ABB who can replace Miller on the PP or Verheaghe who is versatile and can play C or Wing.

Johnson might be harder because he did score a lot of ES goals but he still didn't even crack 50 points while playing top line minutes. Gourde playing with Point again should get him back over 50 points and 25 goals. ABB would work in a top 6 but I don't see him hitting 20+ goals or 50 points as a rookie but could do a 15g 40 point guy and is small and fiesty like Johnson. We still have Stephens who would be a nice boost to the 4th line. Plus if we moved out that much money we could bring in better defenders to make the team more balanced and not so forward heavy for production or another top 6 or 9 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad