2018-2019 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
We hung one for a conference title... No ceremony... Up before the women's exhibition in September. Not even referred to at the home opener.
We're living in the now... Other schools seem to like living in the past... Especially ones that can't let go of a name that's been dead for nearly a decade now.
Don’t forget those participation banners. Oh and since I’m the only UND fan here I don’t call them by their former name anymore. Carry on

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Don’t forget those participation banners. Oh and since I’m the only UND fan here I don’t call them by their former name anymore. Carry on
So we hanging NCAA banners for making the tourney... It is an accomplishment and should be recognized. To attack schools for doing it is frankly stupid...
You may be the only UNDer here... But I wasn't just speaking about or to you.
It amuses me that a fanbase at large who can't let go of a dead name... Constantly pulls the derp banners derp card as well. Living in the past indeed.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
So we hanging NCAA banners for making the tourney... It is an accomplishment and should be recognized. To attack schools for doing it is frankly stupid...
You may be the only UNDer here... But I wasn't just speaking about or to you.
It amuses me that a fanbase at large who can't let go of a dead name... Constantly pulls the derp banners derp card as well. Living in the past indeed.
And why it bothers folks like yourself is a head scratcher. The Fighting Sioux name will be around as long as I’m on this earth. As far as living in the past it’s nice to reflect on championship teams. Those 8 seasons with a title will always be part of the fabric that is UND hockey.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I do think all teams need banners, they set the bar for a program's expectations. For teams without history or success winning the Conference or just making the tournament are good goals to have. For teams that have the Frozen-4s and National Championships just making the tournament or winning the Conference isn't individual banner worthy. These teams should have single banners for each lesser accomplishment with just the years it happened listed.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
And why it bothers folks like yourself is a head scratcher. The Fighting Sioux name will be around as long as I’m on this earth. As far as living in the past it’s nice to reflect on championship teams. Those 8 seasons with a title will always be part of the fabric that is UND hockey.

No one is saying they aren't...so are the accomplished teams we have. The stupidity comes when any accomplishments other than national titles are maligned as though NC are all that matter.
The NCAA tourney is such a crapshoot and luck based tourney that the "best" team does not win it a massive amount of the time... Last year being a perfect example.
My issue with the name is the cult like hold it has. You could change SCSU from Huskies and it would not change most attitudes towards the school...program or anything else.
But when you have people who honestly believe the UND program is now struggling because they changed the name... That's mentally ill. And no...the name will not live. It's dead. Miami let go... Marquette let go
.. Arkansas State let go... Why can't UND?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No one is saying they aren't...so are the accomplished teams we have. The stupidity comes when any accomplishments other than national titles are maligned as though NC are all that matter.
The NCAA tourney is such a crapshoot and luck based tourney that the "best" team does not win it a massive amount of the time... Last year being a perfect example.
My issue with the name is the cult like hold it has. You could change SCSU from Huskies and it would not change most attitudes towards the school...program or anything else.
But when you have people who honestly believe the UND program is now struggling because they changed the name... That's mentally ill. And no...the name will not live. It's dead. Miami let go... Marquette let go
.. Arkansas State let go... Why can't UND?

I still think of and call them the Warriors. If someone just says the Eagles, or Golden Eagles without the Marquette attached it takes me a second to realize what team they are talking about.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I still think of and call them the Warriors. If someone just says the Eagles, or Golden Eagles without the Marquette attached it takes me a second to realize what team they are talking about.
And the same can be said for UND. I’ve been asked by folks who don’t follow UND what their new name is. Most come back and say they will still be the Sioux to me. Funny thing is UND won their title in 2016 as the Fighting Hawks and the announcers still called them the Fighting Sioux on occasion. That still happens to this day. The name will be around for a long long time still. Not sure why it bothers people so much. Only thing I can think of is there hate for everything UND.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I don't hate UND... their cult fans are a different story. . Especially the virus variety that enter the NHC and the Frozen Faceoff each year.
You don't think it's an issue when fans at the Ralph boo when the PA guy says Fighting Hawks scoring and do it so loud that he stops doing it?
Sioux yeah yeah and let's go Sioux still screamed every week... Again... Don't hear the old name chants at the schools I mentioned.... Don't hear fans saying the name change has caused program struggles at those schools.
It's as though fan identity is tied to the name...not the school. And when it is thrust in your face every time the schools play... It gets real old...real fast.

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Get use to it. The name will be around for a long time. It is what it is.
Only because UNDers are delusional... But we have to get used to it.... Ok then...
Funny... It's only hockey that seems to have an issue with the new name. Basketball.... Football... No one seems to care. No one boos when the name is said...just hockey.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Only because UNDers are delusional... But we have to get used to it.... Ok then...
Funny... It's only hockey that seems to have an issue with the new name. Basketball.... Football... No one seems to care. No one boos when the name is said...just hockey.

You've nailed it on the head: hockey fans are delusional.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
On my way to the Ralph for the series with Denver. This has gotten to be a heated rivalry over the years. I was at the game when the Gwoz walked out on the ice arguing a call with the ref. Miss his antics when his team played there. Red Pepper and Leinies will be had

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He looked really, really good. One of those guys who can do anything he wants when he has the puck. I think it was a great move staying in school this year. I think his game is more mature this year, and he looks like less of a Smurf.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hard to believe a group that venerates Ralph Engelstad would have a hard time admitting they are wrong and bowing to good taste.;)

Reactions: 2Pair

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
UND came out on fire for the first 20 last night and built a 2-0 lead over Denver. Good thing because it was all DU after that. Scheel came up with some big saves to preserve a 4-1 victory. There should be no more debate who the number 1 netminder is.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Scheel related to Scheel's ?

Funny, but the Gophers are in a similar spot. Their goalie is keeping them in games they have no right to be in.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gophers somehow pull out a win, after being outshot 50 something to 20 something. They still look pretty bad, to me. Except the goalie(s), who look fantastic.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Gophers somehow pull out a win, after being outshot 50 something to 20 something. They still look pretty bad, to me. Except the goalie(s), who look fantastic.
Yeah, I didn't get to watch Saturday night's game, but I watched almost all of the game on Friday night. They just look like a team who either can't play Motzko's system, or haven't fully bought into it yet.

Nothing seems smooth, even simple zone entries look awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad