2018/2019 Lineup Thread

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
haha i totally forgot about Steen.

I dont think Thomas should play 4C for a full season though. Not good for his development. Steen-ROR-Perron could make for a crazy cycle line that would be so hard to contain downlow.

He’s definitely going to get top 9 time due to injuries and such. That’s just to start the season.

I would like to see that 20-90-57 line if we go back to the Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko line...or if Tarasenko finds chemistry with Bozak, you’d likely put Fabbri on the other wing for a pure offensive line.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He’s definitely going to get top 9 time due to injuries and such. That’s just to start the season.

I would like to see that 20-90-57 line if we go back to the Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko line...or if Tarasenko finds chemistry with Bozak, you’d likely put Fabbri on the other wing for a pure offensive line.
With The Blues' forward depth, NO WAY they should throw their top 3 forwards together on one line. Better to use Schwartz and Schenn with a lesser RW (say Perron or Bozek (if Thomas can handle 3rd Line centre), and put Tarasenko back with Fabbri (with whom he had good chemistry before), and with O'Reilly. THAT should make 2 super lines, and still have plenty of firepower left over with Steen, Thomas and Bozek or Perron on Line 3 - for a very good 2-way line. Maroon could be used on Line 3 if Bozak plays centre, and Thomas is 4th Line centre, early in the season. Lots of ways to go. But, I wouldn't concentrate all the best firepower on one line.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
With The Blues' forward depth, NO WAY they should throw their top 3 forwards together on one line. Better to use Schwartz and Schenn with a lesser RW (say Perron or Bozek (if Thomas can handle 3rd Line centre), and put Tarasenko back with Fabbri (with whom he had good chemistry before), and with O'Reilly. THAT should make 2 super lines, and still have plenty of firepower left over with Steen, Thomas and Bozek or Perron on Line 3 - for a very good 2-way line. Maroon could be used on Line 3 if Bozak plays centre, and Thomas is 4th Line centre, early in the season. Lots of ways to go. But, I wouldn't concentrate all the best firepower on one line.

I definitely agree. I don’t think they should go back to that line, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did at some point.

Ideally, we’d do something like this and roll our top 3 lines evenly.

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou/Thomas(all zones)
Fabbri-Bozak-Tarasenko(offensive)
Steen-O’Reilly-Perron(defensive)
Maroon-Thomas/Barbashev-Soshnikov/Jaskin

The top end players will get plenty of special teams minutes so they’ll still lead in ice time.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd like to see something like this to start.

Schwartz/Schenn/Thomas
Fabbri/O'Reilly/Tarasenko
Steen/Bozak/Perron
Maroon/Barbashev/Jaskin
If I were coach, I wouldn't start Thomas off in his first pro game on The Blues' top line. He's only played on The Junior level with teenagers, and not-very-fast or skilled 20 year olds. The pro game is a LOT faster, with less time and space to operate. A rookie also has to be learning his new team's offensive and defensive systems and individual duties. I wouldn't also saddle a rookie with the pressure of having to perform on his team's #1 line, when he's first trying to get himself oriented. I understand that he'll be doing some of that during camp and the exhibition schedule. But real standings-counting games are VERY different, when it comes to feeling pressure. It's similar to moving up from bantam all the way to Junior A, back in the old days. There was a lot more pressure, and the game quality was at a different (higher) level. They don't call it a higher level for nothing. ;)

Let's let him get his feet wet on the 4th Line for the earliest part of the season, under no pressure to be a defensive whiz, and also no pressure to score points. Let's let him get the feel of the game, so he can then, afterwards, work on easing into to getting familiar with his new linemates in both offensive and defensive situations. If we want him to start at centre, so as not to get sidetracked feeling comfortable as a winger, and having to start off learning the Blues' system centre position later, he should start on 4th line. He can move up to Line 3, later (after 20-30 games). IF it's decided that The Blues will have a traditional defensive/puck possession 4th Line, playing only few minutes, The Blues should then start Thomas on 3rd Line, but at RW, so as not to give him too much to take in during his "orientation period.

Personally, if I were coach (I've coached kids, but not teens, but played till 17), I'd start Thomas at 4th Line centre. I wouldn't want him getting 20-30 games at RW, and losing that experience at centre, as I'd want him to be as comfortable as a Blues' system centre as possible, after Game 65, during the playoff seeding run and through the playoffs. I can't see The Blues missing the playoffs this season. And having Thomas as a significant contributor will be needed. The more comfortable he is in his position, The Blues' system, with his wingers, and with his regular shiftmates on The PP and PK, the better.

Teams that win The Stanley Cup, or go far in The Playoffs, are usually those whose forward lines, defence pairings, and special teams units, have played together most, and gelled together. Finding those optimal groupings happens from testing through time playing together.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have been a big fan of these lines.

Perron - O'Reilly - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Bozak
Fabbri - Thomas - Steen
Maroon - Barbashev - Soshnikov/Jaskin

* I really want a RHS with O'Reilly and Tarasenko and think Perron is the best fit.
* I want to keep Schenn in the middle after the season he had last year. The weakest part of his center game though is draws, so we add Bozak to the RW to help with right handed draws.
* I want Thomas to center a line right away, give him some insulation by having Steen on his line.
* I have big question marks about Maroon, while he has some offensive skill he screams bottom 6 player to me.

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
@Blanick putting 2nd best faceoff guy at RW spot isn't reasonable. You kind of takeaway his one best atributes away, note also we've been bad at faceoff dot and Bozak at wing... I don't like at all.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Putting Bozak on RW doesn't mean he won't take faceoffs. Schenn can take draws suited for LHS while Bozak takes the draws suited for RHS. Or worst case scenario, Bozak takes the draws but has RW duties otherwise, similar to how Edmonton utilizes Draisaitl with McDavid.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
@Blanick putting 2nd best faceoff guy at RW spot isn't reasonable. You kind of takeaway his one best atributes away, note also we've been bad at faceoff dot and Bozak at wing... I don't like at all.

First of all I am not taking away anything. In my lineup he would still be taking a bunch of draws.

When I was making that lineup I had two criteria I wanted to meet.
1. A RHS on each of the top3 lines.
2. A center spot for Thomas in the top9. That would leave two center slots left, one goes to O’Reilly obviously. The last spot is between Schenn and Bozak and I am just not comfortable asking Schenn, who just scored a career high 70 points after moving to center last year, to move back to wing for Bozak who has only broken 50 points once in his NHL career.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
To begin the year, I think I would like to see (and sort of expect to see) Fabbri and Maroon rotating on/off the Tarasenko line. Very different players that drastically changes the make-up of that line, which I think offers Yeo and interesting dynamic to play with. Both Maroon and Fabbri bring 'chaotic' elements, just on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Armstrong famously mentioned Thomas as the third man of the trio, and while that would be incredible, it would only be possible if you assume that Thomas has his shot at NHL caliber+. He would be getting a lot of free space on the line, which comes with the expectation of capitalizing on that extra space. I think it makes sense to start him on the 4th line and just make sure you place him with players that can capitalize on any space he creates (i.e. you have to probably put him with one of Steen/Maroon/Fabbri).

Other thoughts:
I think Perron compliments Schenn and Schwartz's style of play well. He's not afraid to be the net-front guy, and yet he's also perfectly capable of creating space for the other two. The third line is really where I lose a lot of certainty. For some reason, I like the idea of Steen + Bozak, but I don't really know what the identity of that line would be.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Putting Bozak on RW doesn't mean he won't take faceoffs. Schenn can take draws suited for LHS while Bozak takes the draws suited for RHS. Or worst case scenario, Bozak takes the draws but has RW duties otherwise, similar to how Edmonton utilizes Draisaitl with McDavid.
Still you put your team in akward situation putting 2 of best 3 faceoff guys at same line, that measn 3rd and 4th line FO% will automatically be lower then split separate ROR, Schenn and Bozak.
I would rather go with

Code:
Perron/Fabbri - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Steen
Maroon - Bozak - Fabbri/Perron
Jaskin - Sundqvist - Soshnikov

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Still you put your team in akward situation putting 2 of best 3 faceoff guys at same line, that measn 3rd and 4th line FO% will automatically be lower then split separate ROR, Schenn and Bozak.
I would rather go with

Code:
Perron/Fabbri - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Steen
Maroon - Bozak - Fabbri/Perron
Jaskin - Sundqvist - Soshnikov

It's not like Schenn lights it up on the faceoff dot. He's #3 (until proven otherwise) solely on the basis that no one behind him has consistently taken draws. His 48% last year was a career high and was still 5% lower than Bozak's slight faceoff dip last year. Having Bozak take draws on the 2nd line leads to a 5-10% increase in faceoff wins for that line. I think getting your 2nd line the puck that much more often offsets the potential harm to the bottom 6's faceoff ability, especially if Thomas is adequate at draws.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It's not like Schenn lights it up on the faceoff dot. He's #3 (until proven otherwise) solely on the basis that no one behind him has consistently taken draws. His 48% last year was a career high and was still 5% lower than Bozak's slight faceoff dip last year. Having Bozak take draws on the 2nd line leads to a 5-10% increase in faceoff wins for that line. I think getting your 2nd line the puck that much more often offsets the potential harm to the bottom 6's faceoff ability, especially if Thomas is adequate at draws.

I'm curious what you consider adequate at draws, with respect to an NHL rookie. Typically rookies post 25-35% on their draws for the first month and work their way into the 35-45% range for the later portions of the season.

It takes time to adjust to competing against men who in some cases, have been dominating the dot for close 10 years in the case of players like Crosby, Bergeron etc. You can't always shield Thomas from those matchups, even at home.

How long of a leash do you expect Thomas to be given at centre - do you expect him stick past 10 games in the NHL, 10 games at centre in general?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm curious what you consider adequate at draws, with respect to an NHL rookie. Typically rookies post 25-35% on their draws for the first month and work their way into the 35-45% range for the later portions of the season.

It takes time to adjust to competing against men who in some cases, have been dominating the dot for close 10 years in the case of players like Crosby, Bergeron etc. You can't always shield Thomas from those matchups, even at home.

How long of a leash do you expect Thomas to be given at centre - do you expect him stick past 10 games in the NHL, 10 games at centre in general?

That 35-45% range is what I would call adequate to give him a chance to win the 3C spot.

I think he'll be given a long leash in the bottom 6. I expect him to stay past his 9 game trial and I don't expect him to play much wing. I don't think he'll start at 3C like in the lines Blanick suggested, but I do think he has a chance to win the 3C job by midseason and force Bozak into the 2RW spot instead of the 3C spot. If he is going 35-45% on the dot and looks to have outgrown the 4th line, then I think that's good enough to have Bozak/Schenn split faceoff duty on the 2nd line.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'd like to see something like this to start.

Schwartz/Schenn/Thomas
Fabbri/O'Reilly/Tarasenko
Steen/Bozak/Perron
Maroon/Barbashev/Jaskin

Welcome to HF btw. I recognize you from the Asylum.

You here for good? Or going to jump back and forth?

dtrain

Mar 6, 2012
MO
Welcome to HF btw. I recognize you from the Asylum.

You here for good? Or going to jump back and forth?

Thanks. I've actually been here for a while. I just don't post here much. I mostly stick to over there but do read here about once a week or so.

Reactions: shmotz

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
That's why I'd put Bozak on Thomas' RW, after Thomas is ready to play 3rd Line centre. He can take a lot of the faceoff pressure off the rookie, and slide back into the RW job after the draw.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Barbashev should go on the wing of the second line. That will be the heart of this team.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Barbashev should go on the wing of the second line. That will be the heart of this team.
Maroo, Jaskin or Soshnikov will take faceoff draws?

If Barbashev doesn't show up anything big, I would prefer to trade him away with package Gunnar or Jbo for 3th/4th line center.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Maroo, Jaskin or Soshnikov will take faceoff draws?

If Barbashev doesn't show up anything big, I would prefer to trade him away with package Gunnar or Jbo for 3th/4th line center.

Barby was 38% at the dot last year and 40%the year before. His faceoff ability shouldn't be what keeps him at center.

If faceoffs on the 4th line become an issue, we should be able to acquire a competent 4C for pennies or potentially on waivers.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Barby was 38% at the dot last year and 40%the year before. His faceoff ability shouldn't be what keeps him at center.

If faceoffs on the 4th line become an issue, we should be able to acquire a competent 4C for pennies or potentially on waivers.

Well it most likely will be issue, 'cus we don't have guy who is good at FO dot after, ROR, Bozak and Schenn. Its worrisome imo. Eh we don't have enough cap for acquire another 4th line center without someone(s) are traded away or put in to waivers.

I would love if we could trade away Jbo/Gunnar + Barbashev/Sanford <-> vet 4th liner + pick

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Well it most likely will be issue, 'cus we don't have guy who is good at FO dot after, ROR, Bozak and Schenn. Its worrisome imo. Eh we don't have enough cap for acquire another 4th line center without someone(s) are traded away or put in to waivers.

I would love if we could trade away Jbo/Gunnar + Barbashev/Sanford <-> vet 4th liner + pick

If we pick up a 4th line center by any means, then it bumps a forward off the 23 man roster and opens up cap space. If we give up on Barby, we should be looking to move him for better value than a short term 4th line center. 4th lilne players are arguably the cheapest thing to acquire in the NHL. Tommy Wingles, Matt Stajan and Mark Letestu are all still UFAs and at least one of them will have to accept a tryout contract or 2 way deal if they want a shot at staying in the NHL. That's a better plan to fix potential 4C issues than using an asset holding any value in a trade to acquire one.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we pick up a 4th line center by any means, then it bumps a forward off the 23 man roster and opens up cap space. If we give up on Barby, we should be looking to move him for better value than a short term 4th line center. 4th lilne players are arguably the cheapest thing to acquire in the NHL. Tommy Wingles, Matt Stajan and Mark Letestu are all still UFAs and at least one of them will have to accept a tryout contract or 2 way deal if they want a shot at staying in the NHL. That's a better plan to fix potential 4C issues than using an asset holding any value in a trade to acquire one.
Its early and we haven't played single game at next season, we need to see Barby or Sundqvist, but doesn't in your eyes our 4th line need upgrade when we're all-in this year, noting those guys aren't who needs to do PK job and be at least above 50% at faceoffs.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Its early and we haven't played single game at next season, we need to see Barby or Sundqvist, but doesn't in your eyes our 4th line need upgrade when we're all-in this year, noting those guys aren't who needs to do PK job and be at least above 50% at faceoffs.

It depends on how Thomas and Kyrou look. If they both make the team and we run what is essentially a 3a and 3b for the bottom 6, then we absolutely don't need a 4C upgrade. Barring something very unexpected from Thomas at camp, we have 4 centers in Schenn, ROR, Bozak and Thomas. If Kyrou is also good enough to make the team, then we essentially have no possible way to make a traditional 4th line. Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenk0, ROR, Steen, Fabbri, Maroon, Bozak, Perron, Thomas, and Kyrou is 11 guys. If those guys are the best 11 players in camp, then there is no realistic way to play any of the 4 centers on wing and it would essentially force Yeo to use the 4th line as a 3b type line. As much as Army has talked about Kyrou and Thomas, it seems clear that the plan until proven otherwise is that those 2 are NHL ready.

With as much as the ice time is going to spread out this year, we shouldn't need to rely on traditional 4th liners to kill penalties. ROR, Steen, Perron, Schwartz, Schenn, and Thomas should all be able to log meaningful PK minutes without approaching an unreasonable TOI.

If these don't work out and one of our 4 centers slides to wing, then we can address the issue then. We don't need to trade an asset with any amount of value to address a hypothetical need on the 4th line. 4th line caliber guys who are adequate at the faceoff dot go through waivers pretty frequently. It's a role that can be filled fairly easily if it is needed, not something that we need to plan for since it is plan B or C at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad