2018/2019 Lineup Thread

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
@Brian39 I agree with the 4 lines and best-on-best. I would imagine Yeo sees the forward lines in pairs, so I’m hopeful for this.

X-90-91
17-10-x
20-21-x
15-36-x

To me, that is a great start on 4 solid pairs, assuming Fabbri can be relied on consistently from the start of the season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
@Brian39 I agree with the 4 lines and best-on-best. I would imagine Yeo sees the forward lines in pairs, so I’m hopeful for this.

X-90-91
17-10-x
20-21-x
15-36-x

To me, that is a great start on 4 solid pairs, assuming Fabbri can be relied on consistently from the start of the season.

I think its not first time people have told you not to use player numbers when there is 4-6 new players in team and we can't be sure which numbers those new players use.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think its not first time people have told you not to use player numbers when there is 4-6 new players in team and we can't be sure which numbers those new players use.

Every player that’s played in the NHL already has picked their number for the year and they’ve all been announced.

Thomas wore #36 and Kyrou wore #72 in pre-season last year for us. Personally, I would just list Thomas and Kyrou in name-form instead of numbers but that’s it.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I heavily edited these quote to focus on a sentiment that I think is worth discussing. Both of them were long posts that get lost the way this site embeds quotes now. Throughout this thread, there has been a lot of back and forth between the 4th line being a scoring line or a more traditional 4th line. There are other quotes about this, but I just chose these two because they focus on the concept I want to talk about.

Why does a 4th line have to be able to grind in order to eat some minutes to get the top 9 rest? That is certainly the traditional role of an NHL 4th line, but is that because it is truly the best possible roster or is it because it is generally impossible to have enough good players on the 4th line for them to realistically be a productive scoring line? Is grinding a truly integral part of a successful NHL team or is it just that in a salary capped league, it is damn near impossible to built a non-grinding 4th line that can score more than they allow if they play a more offensive oriented style?

I've watched Canada consistently ignore grit/grinding to best on best International Tournaments and win 3 straight of them (Olympics in 2010 and 2014 and World Cup in 2016). I also watched Team USA leave skill at home to build an NHL style lineup and get embarrassed in 2014 and 2016.

I want to see the Blues come into camp open to building 4 lines that can score. We may learn that we don't have the horses for it, which will largely depend on Fabbri's level and what we have in Thomas, Kyrou, Barby, Sosh and the rest of the tweeners. If we have the horses to run a "4th line" like Steen-Thomas-Jaskin without dramatically harming the top 9, then we should do that over a traditional grind line. I don't expect Fabbri and Kyrou to both be good enough to make that a reality, but if they are then it is an option worth exploring.

I trust a lot of the projected scoring 4th lines to eat minutes way more than a line built around Sundqvist and Jaskin.
I must respectfully disagree with you. I think the SCF this year proved without a doubt that grit is still important. As much as people hate him, Tom Wilson opened up a lot of room for Ovechkin and Kusnetsov. He was a vital part of their success. Another roundly disliked player, Brooks Orpik, wore down the Knights and was an effective shadow, even if he was a liability at times. Both were rewarded for their contributions with contracts. Las Vegas in turn, used relentless checking to get to the finals. They hit, and hit relentlessly, wearing their opponents down. I do understand there were other factors involved that led to both teams success, but the "grit factor" should not be ignored or downplayed. I realize. as an older fan who grew up watching old fashioned "rock n'sock em" hockey, I may have a sentimental bias. Likewise, I realize there is a contingent who want to see a "grit free" game, although I personally believe that would be a loss. Even though they have slowly been distancing themselves from it, I hope the Blues do not completely abandon their traditionally gritty style

Reactions: Corby78

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I must respectfully disagree with you. I think the SCF this year proved without a doubt that grit is still important. As much as people hate him, Tom Wilson opened up a lot of room for Ovechkin and Kusnetsov. He was a vital part of their success. Another roundly disliked player, Brooks Orpik, wore down the Knights and was an effective shadow, even if he was a liability at times. Both were rewarded for their contributions with contracts. Las Vegas in turn, used relentless checking to get to the finals. They hit, and hit relentlessly, wearing their opponents down. I do understand there were other factors involved that led to both teams success, but the "grit factor" should not be ignored or downplayed. I realize. as an older fan who grew up watching old fashioned "rock n'sock em" hockey, I may have a sentimental bias. Likewise, I realize there is a contingent who want to see a "grit free" game, although I personally believe that would be a loss. Even though they have slowly been distancing themselves from it, I hope the Blues do not completely abandon their traditionally gritty style
Brooks orpik earned himself a trade to a cap floor team who then subsequently bought him out, put him on waivers and THEN he signed with Washington on a 1 yr 1 mil deal lmao. He was not integral. Wilson helped. And yes grit matters. But grit can come from anyone. It’s just playing hard hockey. It doesn’t mean hitting. It means fighting for your position and ice. The team we have can do that it’s more about desire than size and the willingness to make a useless headshot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I must respectfully disagree with you. I think the SCF this year proved without a doubt that grit is still important. As much as people hate him, Tom Wilson opened up a lot of room for Ovechkin and Kusnetsov. He was a vital part of their success. Another roundly disliked player, Brooks Orpik, wore down the Knights and was an effective shadow, even if he was a liability at times. Both were rewarded for their contributions with contracts. Las Vegas in turn, used relentless checking to get to the finals. They hit, and hit relentlessly, wearing their opponents down. I do understand there were other factors involved that led to their respective successes, but the "grit factor" should not be ignored or downplayed. I realize. as an older fan who grew up watching old fashioned "rock n'sock em" hockey, I may have a sentimental bias. Likewise, I realize there is a contingent who want to see a "grit free" game, although I personally believe that would be a loss.

Tom Wilson had 15 points in 21 playoff games playing on the 1st line. That's hardly an argument for a 4th line whose ultimate goal is to eat 10 minutes without scoring or being scored on. No one is saying that physicality is a bad thing. We brought Maroon in specifically to be physical while also being able to contribute offensively. There is a difference between being physical for the sake of not getting scored on and being physical to try and outscore the other team.

Vegas' only win of the Final happened because their 4th line scored 3 unanswered goals in the 3rd period. The Caps got 3 goals out of their 4th line in the last 3 games of the series. The team with the most hits went 2-3 during the Final and the total hit count of the series was 178-173 in favor of the Caps. The team who got a goal from their 4th line went 4-0 in the series.

To me, the SCF demonstrated that you better be able to count on your 4th line to chip in a few goals over the course of a series.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I prefer to use this shorthand when posting from my phone or iPad. I’m sorry if you or anyone else finds it confusing, but you can feel free to ignore the posts if it bothers you.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’m starting to become okay with the idea of Maroon starting with O’Reilly and Tarasenko. Those two will create a lot of open space for Tarasenko, and it eases Fabbri back into the top 9.

Maroon-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Barbashev-Thomas-Soshnikov

Eventually I want to see Fabbri and Tarasenko back together, because their chemistry was fantastic two years ago. Also by that point, I’d like to see Kyrou called up and put with Schwartz and Schenn. We’d be able to run four great lines, and it’d be very hard to matchup against.

Fabbbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Maroon-Bozak-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Soshnikov

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’m starting to become okay with the idea of Maroon starting with O’Reilly and Tarasenko. Those two will create a lot of open space for Tarasenko, and it eases Fabbri back into the top 9.

Maroon-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Barbashev-Thomas-Soshnikov

Eventually I want to see Fabbri and Tarasenko back together, because their chemistry was fantastic two years ago. Also by that point, I’d like to see Kyrou called up and put with Schwartz and Schenn. We’d be able to run four great lines, and it’d be very hard to matchup against.

Fabbbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Maroon-Bozak-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Soshnikov
Nitpicking, but that 3rd line is a defensive nightmare! :) Otherwise, I like your lines. Perhaps switch Steen with Maroon?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Nitpicking, but that 3rd line is a defensive nightmare! :) Otherwise, I like your lines. Perhaps switch Steen with Maroon?

I’d prefer that actually. I just know people try and say that Maroon won’t play on the 4th line, so I tried to avoid it. I think Thomas would be a good fit with Maroon anyways, to be honest with you.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’d prefer that actually. I just know people try and say that Maroon won’t play on the 4th line, so I tried to avoid it. I think Thomas would be a good fit with Maroon anyways, to be honest with you.
I hear you. Nice problem to have, though, having too many top nine forwards! :)

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Brooks orpik earned himself a trade to a cap floor team who then subsequently bought him out, put him on waivers and THEN he signed with Washington on a 1 yr 1 mil deal lmao. He was not integral. Wilson helped. And yes grit matters. But grit can come from anyone. It’s just playing hard hockey. It doesn’t mean hitting. It means fighting for your position and ice. The team we have can do that it’s more about desire than size and the willingness to make a useless headshot.

Orpik was a big part of the run, go ask any caps fan who watched it unfold. Or go look at what his teammates said about him. the trade and resign was a smart move to manage the cap. There are obvious questions about his age, hence the smaller one year deal.

IRT Wilson, I agree with the above post, Wilson changed the dynamic of each series and opened the ice for the skilled players. Grit is good, grit and heavy hitting is better.

Reactions: simon IC

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

In what world is a line with Steen and Bozak a "defensive nightmare"?
I can agree that Fabbri is a terrible fit for those 2, but with Steen and Bozak you have the backbone for a legit shut-down line.

Don't listen to the Leaf's fans trying to portray Bozak as a defensive liability. The guy was covering the defensive lapses of Kessel, JVR and Marner for several years and Leaf's fans refuse to admit that those 3 are absolutely terrible defensive players(and that's on the rare occasion that they even make an effort to play defense). He may not be Backes/ROR quality on defense, but he is an above average defensive C. Easily in the same category as Stastny on that side of the puck.

Reactions: BlueDream

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
In what world is a line with Steen and Bozak a "defensive nightmare"?
I can agree that Fabbri is a terrible fit for those 2, but with Steen and Bozak you have the backbone for a legit shut-down line.

Don't listen to the Leaf's fans trying to portray Bozak as a defensive liability. The guy was covering the defensive lapses of Kessel, JVR and Marner for several years and Leaf's fans refuse to admit that those 3 are absolutely terrible defensive players(and that's on the rare occasion that they even make an effort to play defense). He may not be Backes/ROR quality on defense, but he is an above average defensive C. Easily in the same category as Stastny on that side of the puck.
I was actually referring to the Maroon-Bozak-Perron line in the second group listed by CaliBlues710. I thought I bolded them for emphasis, but, whatever. The jury is still out for me on the Bozak signing. I need to see him play within the Blues system. I agree that he may indeed be much better defensively than most Leaf fans describe him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was actually referring to the Maroon-Bozak-Perron line in the second group listed by CaliBlues710. I thought I bolded them for emphasis, but, whatever. The jury is still out for me on the Bozak signing. I need to see him play within the Blues system. I agree that he may indeed be much better defensively than most Leaf fans describe him.

I really don't know what to expect from Bozak now that we have ROR too. It was easy to pencil him in as a middle 6 C before that (I assumed he'd start as the 2C and eventually yield that to Thomas at some point during his contract). But the ROR trade means that we have tons of options and can experiment with him. Even if he starts at 3C, the team may prefer to slide Thomas up to 3C and have Bozak fill a hole when a winger gets hurt. I have a gut feeling that Bozak is going to be our 'plug him wherever we have a hole to fill' guy for the first 40 games or so while the staff decides what role he is best suited for on this roster.

It would be awesome if he can show more defensive ability as a center in our system or as a winger if he slides over. If he can play RW (as a RHS) it would open up even more options.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

You did have it bolder, I just didn’t see it given that the “updates” to the forum don’t show full quotes unless you open them anymore.
Mea Culpa.

That said, I would also disagree with you on Maroon-Bozak-Perron. Bozak is not a defensive liability. Perron is actually a fairly good defensive player(for all the hype he got for his stick work, it’s been his D and willingness to do the dirty work that has kept him in the League this long). And while his net front game is clearly his forte, Maroon is legitimately 4th line quality on defense also. Plus there’s the fact that such a line would be a possession beast. All 3 guys are willing to go to the dirty areas and have quick enough hands to make some things happen in those areas. To be honest, there are a lot of #2 lines around the League that aren’t close to that potential combo. And as a 3rd line it is absolutely lethal. I think I prefer having Perron and Maroon as complimentary pieces on the top 2 lines, but that is a hell of a fallback option to run with.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You did have it bolder, I just didn’t see it given that the “updates” to the forum don’t show full quotes unless you open them anymore.
Mea Culpa.

That said, I would also disagree with you on Maroon-Bozak-Perron. Bozak is not a defensive liability. Perron is actually a fairly good defensive player(for all the hype he got for his stick work, it’s been his D and willingness to do the dirty work that has kept him in the League this long). And while his net front game is clearly his forte, Maroon is legitimately 4th line quality on defense also. Plus there’s the fact that such a line would be a possession beast. All 3 guys are willing to go to the dirty areas and have quick enough hands to make some things happen in those areas. To be honest, there are a lot of #2 lines around the League that aren’t close to that potential combo. And as a 3rd line it is absolutely lethal. I think I prefer having Perron and Maroon as complimentary pieces on the top 2 lines, but that is a hell of a fallback option to run with.

I just assume it could Be just noting Maroon (0:01) - Bozak (0:01) and Perron (0:13) combined last season TOI/GP/PK. But Bozak and Perron has Records they have played at PK duty their early careers. PK isn't exact metric which shows is player good defensively, but it indicates they aren't that good generally 2-way and used for that matter in there.

I view Maroon - Bozak - Perron isn't first lineup in My mind when game is on The line and I need to choose what line Will I put on ice to take d-zone faceoffs. It might Be Even last option when selecting from @CaliBlues710 lineups where discussed has been, no matter Thomas might not Be best faceoff Guy.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Interesting

My first thought was "what the hell?" but the Blues could legitimately make the 3rd line a shutdown line and then just roll a pure offensive 4th line and let the kids go wild if they really wanted to. Find the easy matchups for them and let them score. I highly doubt that happens, but Yeo has like a million different options here.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Interesting

That might be the most unlikely lineup projection I have seen anywhere all summer. Maroon at RW while Perron is at LW seems unlikely but is feasible I guess. Schwartz and Schenn almost definitely won't be split up and there is basically no chance that the 4th line is made up of our 3 youngest players, 2 of whom are rookies and the other who hasn't played an NHL game in 18 months.

He also projects us to be 4+ points worse than last year's team, which might actually be true with those line combinations.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
That dudes line combinations are trash. My 12 year old niece knows you don't split up Schwartz and Schenn.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Friendly Leafs fan coming in peace.

Looking at the west i really like your teams chances this year. I think your team will place first in the Western Conference if the goaltending can hold up. Just so much depth all around the lineup.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Perron-ROR-Thomas
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou
Maroon-Barbashev-Jaskin

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Dunn

This is a deadly forward group. I leaned heavily towards young guys like Fabbri, Kyro and Thomas. But i think those guys being in the top 9 is what is going to make this team special.

ROR is your best two way cycle C and giving him guys who can play a good cycle game like Perron and Thomas is key. Bozak will do well with run and gun skilled guys like Fabbri and Kyrou but you will need to make sure they dont go up against opposing top lines.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Friendly Leafs fan coming in peace.

Looking at the west i really like your teams chances this year. I think your team will place first in the Western Conference if the goaltending can hold up. Just so much depth all around the lineup.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Perron-ROR-Thomas
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou
Maroon-Barbashev-Jaskin

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Dunn

This is a deadly forward group. I leaned heavily towards young guys like Fabbri, Kyro and Thomas. But i think those guys being in the top 9 is what is going to make this team special.

ROR is your best two way cycle C and giving him guys who can play a good cycle game like Perron and Thomas is key. Bozak will do well with run and gun skilled guys like Fabbri and Kyrou but you will need to make sure they dont go up against opposing top lines.

Not to nitpick but you’re missing a certain former Leaf that’s been here for awhile ;)

If Kyrou does make the team and we’re fully healthy, I’d bet we run something like this on opening night

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Maroon-Thomas-Soshnikov/Jaskin
Barbashev

I do think you’re dead right though. I’d also love a Blues vs Leafs SCF.

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Not to nitpick but you’re missing a certain former Leaf that’s been here for awhile ;)

If Kyrou does make the team and we’re fully healthy, I’d bet we run something like this on opening night

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Maroon-Thomas-Soshnikov/Jaskin
Barbashev

I do think you’re dead right though. I’d also love a Blues vs Leafs SCF.
haha i totally forgot about Steen.

I dont think Thomas should play 4C for a full season though. Not good for his development. Steen-ROR-Perron could make for a crazy cycle line that would be so hard to contain downlow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad