Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I was watching Marchand last night and there is no one really ever like him. Yvan Cournoyer was similarly skilled but was Lady Bynge game.

The 4 seats in back of me are owned by a ticket agency so we often get out of towners and the most comments are mostly about Marchand and it usually ends up a combination of disdain and awe.

Marchand is going to go down as a comparison player for generations.

I’ve told non hockey friends to just watch him for entertainment and they are never disappointed

Orr
Neely
Marchand

Three unique players that there are few comparable players when I’ve watched a game

Last night he loses a glove and ends up getting a slashing minor penalty for chopping the opponent in the wrist - that’s Marchand
This is so right. Marchand by himself is Boston and maybe NHL mose entertaining player, extremely singular player... on the ice, watching him will entertain all game watcher. On tv we miss alot of Brad entertainement show. He can be likable by moves, passes, shot, hockey play. He can be despite being a energy (polite way) player, he is a vocal player, his mouth never stops... he is hated with some bordeling action... he is emotion... I just like that player and accepte his antics.. he is one of his own. I don’t agree with evertything he does... but it comes with the guy.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Not to sure I like separating Pasta and Marchy but if they produce a more balancing scoring attach why not. I'd guess Nordstrom would be just keeping a spot warm for when Jake returns.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Expected, tough i think he should let Bergy alone for a game or 2.

Once Debrusk is up to speed, Nords takes Wagner spot. I like it but it all comes down to how Heinen performs.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
There will be plenty of time to tinker with the lines. I think keeping Marchand-Bergeron and Krejci-Pastrnak together is the right move for now. Rotate DeBrusk, Heinen, and Bjork in the top 6 until there is a fit, and, if there isn't one, maybe go back to Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak and play DeBrusk with Bergeron.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Assumption ....since he was scratched a few game with the Sabres..

Right. Which means nothing. Whatever the issues were with him and the Sabres is all speculation, nothing has been said publicly about what exactly happened and there doesn't seem to be any issues about him prior to this so I wouldn't assume anything about what happened there.

And the Bruins would be crazy not to speak with the player on their roster who was a former captain of the most recent team Berglund played for before Buffalo that played with him for a few years and see what he has to say about him

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Line sb

Marchand Krejci Pasta
Heinen Bergeron Backes
Nordstrom Cave/JFK Donato
4th line

Promoting Nordstrom to 2nd or Wagner to 3rd is crazy and asking for another scoring drought

Marchand and Pastrnak have special chemistry

Bergeron, Krejci and to a lesser extent Riley Nash are needed to "activate the line"

Breaking these two wingers is a no no and Cassidy will find out soon enough

Also why is Nordstrom the one promoted? He is mainly a defensive/hustle guy. Krejci and Pasta cant dance around 3 or 4 defenders on their own

Last edited:
Reactions: Mainehockey33

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Yes Cassidy just keep beating a dead horse

Nordstrom on the 2nd line is a joke

Its hilarious Stempniak is still listed

Is he getting paid to help with practice

Nordstrom is just a place holder on the 2nd line for the weekend games

DeBrusk will be the LW2 or RW2 next week assuming no setbacks

Reactions: HustleB

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Just because some of these guys CAN play NHL minutes doesn't mean they HAVE TO right now. None of the young D force the Bruins hand like McAvoy or Carlo have in the past.

Vaak will need some more time in Providence once his head is working again. Next year I suspect he will be pushing for a job, but no rush.

Lauzon WAS FINE in his call up, but by no means did he force his way onto the roster. Looks like he COULD be a nice 2nd pairing guy someday, and could play bottom pairing today, or harder minutes in the AHL. Needs to improve his puck moving.

And don't sleep on Zboril.

For next season, you absolutely COULD maintain the status quo and let Vaak, Zboril and Lauzon marinate another year. And when people get injured, and they will, ease them in instead of Kampfer's taking the minutes.

Then you are looking at maybe Chara retiring. And the expansion draft. And Krug being a UFA. And Kevan Miller's UFA status making you look at moving a LD to RD.

Suddenly, the D group looks much less deep, or at least potentially so. I do think that it's in the teams best interest to move one of the LD for forward, with Krug, Gryz or Vaak being the guys that can get the most in return. But there is no pressing rush. From there its just finding out what deals are out there and keeping in mind the expansion draft and the cap. Vaak is exempt if I understand correctly, which would probably mean I would be looking to not deal him.

Coming out of the expansion draft with Vaak, Krug or Gryz, McAvoy and Carlo would be pretty sweet.

So, to me, it really comes down to finding the right deal for Gryz or Krug. Krug is better. Gryz is cheaper and will remain cheaper due to RFA status and the fact that his (very valuable) skill set just doesn't cost as much as Krug's points. Who you move depends on what is offered.
I appreciate the well thought out response. I agree a move doesn't need to be made right this second, but I'll also disagree that none of the young D have forced the B's hand either, as Vaak showed early on that he deserves to be with the big club, and having 4 top 4 LD ahead of him is the only reason he didn't start the season in Boston.

From there if Chara would retire today the LD is perfectly fine with Lauzon and Vaak as the extras. If Krug moves than we are a little thinner on the left but still have plenty of capable guys and guys with experience. If Killer is gone after next year we may need to find someone, maybe Clifton or Ax will be ready as well, or if Gryz is still here perhaps he moves over the the right side. I wasn't necessarily pushing for a trade I was thinking more just the future composition of the D along with what to do with the guys that don't fit was worthy of discussion. Can Gryz and Krug both be on the team going forward, are we better off putting eggs in the basket youth? I also take somewhat of an exception to people talking about how we need all this depth on D but ignoring the fact that we have 4 guys up front that drive offense and all of them have spent time injured in recent years. I don't see why it is so much more likely Carlo gets hurt right before the playoffs, than we enter the playoffs without Krejci and are exclusively a one line team. Also everyone current in the AHL or NHL will not be draft exempt, that would be if it was at the end of next season not the season after. I do think one of Krug or Gryz is most likely to be the trade bait, but I don't know that it has to be one of those guys. Sweeney could be planning on having Gryz opposite McAvoy for the next decade and Krug opposite Carlo, which would mean that Vaak all of a sudden becomes our most valuable tradeable asset.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I doubt Don Sweeney is echoing this line of thought. Jake DeBrusk has missed some time and will be back soon hopefully and of course Bergeron is just about ready as well. Now it's up to Cassidy to rework his lines and see what they have and how they work. Once everyone is back and there's a few games to make assessments with needs, then they can decide to make moves etc.

And I've seen enough of Steven Kapfer this season as a regular.

Plus the more I think about it, Patrik Berglund could be an x factor option that would only cost them salary without giving up assets. And he is likely going to be very motivated for his next deal
I don't see why Sweeney wouldn't have these thoughts going through his mind, he saw our offensive struggles in last year's playoffs and saw that struggle continue this season. Patrick Berglund could absolutely be the solution, I would definitely be willing to give him a shot, but until that happens I think there is still plenty of space of debating other options.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The main issue I have with the new lines is that they make no sense against Nashville. Yeah, of course they are temporary, but they do not capitalize on beating the Preds. The Preds' top two lines have looked like hot garbage as of late due to injuries and players coming off of injury. It makes absolute sense for the Bs to stick with the top line that has been on fire. The line rushes today play right into the Preds' hands because those lines play down to the Preds and level things out. It's f***ing stupid as shit. Fortunately Nashville has been looking pretty rough, so maybe the Bs will beat them regardless, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't see why Sweeney wouldn't have these thoughts going through his mind, he saw our offensive struggles in last year's playoffs and saw that struggle continue this season. Patrick Berglund could absolutely be the solution, I would definitely be willing to give him a shot, but until that happens I think there is still plenty of space of debating other options.

You can debate those options for sure, but the reality is you can't have enough defense. At this point in the season they haven't yet had all of them healthy at once so it wouldn't be very smart to trade anyone from that group at all when guys like McAvoy, Miller and Chara are just coming back. They've pretty much had every one of the guys they've dressed this year out for one reason or another. You don't mess with that now when they're just getting back to full strength

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Time may be short for some Bruins’ fill-ins - The Boston Globe

Time is running short for the less established players in the lineup.
Patrice Bergeron’s return, likely this weekend, could push Colby Cave out of the lineup. When Jake DeBrusk is ready, he’ll take a spot on the wing, which could send an inexperienced forward like Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson to the press box.

Defensemen Zdeno Chara and Kevan Miller aren’t far away, putting Steven Kampfer on notice. Another blueliner will have to sit, too — perhaps Matt Grzelcyk, though he has played well with increased responsibility.

Coach Bruce Cassidy hopes players will let him worry about those hard decisions.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Debrusl Krejci Pasta experiment

Not optimistic as it has not clicked in the past

You kept saying Krejci never worked with Pastrnak, though IIRC they didn't play together very long. Those two also haven't played much with DeBrusk.

It's not "beating a dead horse." It's more like giving a horse time to learn to walk.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Which part do you object to the most?

Breaking up the top line?

Breaking up 63-46-88?

Personally, I would prefer a proven Top 6 wing to slide into the Top 6, which would move Heinen down to line 3, but right now he might be the best option, especially until 74 is back.
63-46-88 is on fire. don't fix what ain't broke. I'd have gone with 43-37-42 for the 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad