Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not defending Dupont nor am I suggesting Sean Kuraly is remotely a 2nd line NHL player, but 2nd line in Boston isn't exactly a juggernaut last I checked. We have TWO players capable of being called 2nd line NHL players, if you exclude the obvious 1st line studs. Sean Kuraly seems to me to be at least as capable as any of the other riff-raff we've thrown next to Kejci-DeBrusk this season. He may not have the hands or supposed talent of a guy like Donato, for example, but he's a much better pro at this point. And he makes a bigger impact than Heinen on a nightly basis. So honestly, why fight the point here?

I actually think KPD's point here might be tongue-in-cheek. I read this to say "The Bruins management seems so apathetic about adding real 2nd line talent to this team that they may as well try Sean Kuraly there given his ability to step up in big spots.". Frankly I'm not sure that's so absurd. He's earned the chance over guys like Donato and Heinen.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
It was definitely not a regular season game.

Blidh has 49 PIM’s this year, but 27 came in three games. Someone like Eric would have a better idea, but I haven’t gotten the impression Blidh has been “running around” in PRO?

I would prefer a guy like Frederic, but not sure he’s ready.

Intriguing. Cassidy could have a line of JFK Cave Frederic giving each one period at C.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm not defending Dupont nor am I suggesting Sean Kuraly is remotely a 2nd line NHL player, but 2nd line in Boston isn't exactly a juggernaut last I checked. We have TWO players capable of being called 2nd line NHL players, if you exclude the obvious 1st line studs. Sean Kuraly seems to me to be at least as capable as any of the other riff-raff we've thrown next to Kejci-DeBrusk this season. He may not have the hands or supposed talent of a guy like Donato, for example, but he's a much better pro at this point. And he makes a bigger impact than Heinen on a nightly basis. So honestly, why fight the point here?

I actually think KPD's point here might be tongue-in-cheek. I read this to say "The Bruins management seems so apathetic about adding real 2nd line talent to this team that they may as well try Sean Kuraly there given his ability to step up in big spots.". Frankly I'm not sure that's so absurd. He's earned the chance over guys like Donato and Heinen.

He’s got 3g/3a in the last 10 games (vs Bottom 6 competition), which is good. The 29 games before that, he had 1g/3a.

Not sure he’s “earned” Top 6 minutes. B’s need to acquire a Top 6 player.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It was definitely not a regular season game.

Blidh has 49 PIM’s this year, but 27 came in three games. Someone like Eric would have a better idea, but I haven’t gotten the impression Blidh has been “running around” in PRO?

I would prefer a guy like Frederic, but not sure he’s ready.
He did when in Boston likely trying to prove himself.

If he's controlled that side of his game, you might be able to convince me he's worthy of a call up.

That said, I also prefer Frederic.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He’s got 3g/3a in the last 10 games (vs Bottom 6 competition), which is good. The 29 games before that, he had 1g/3a.

Not sure he’s “earned” Top 6 minutes. B’s need to acquire a Top 6 player.

Agreed 100% on all accounts.

Has he earned "2nd line NHL minutes"? Hell no!

But has he earned "2nd line on the Boston Bruins minutes"? Probably.

Of course this just underscores the woeful job they did filling that spot, be it via lack of trades, FA signings or simply overrating prospects. However as it relates to Kuraly specifically, and not to get sidetracked ripping the GM, I think he's earned a shot. I think he's certainly earned it over Ryan Donato. And probably Danton Heinen. At the very least, though he may have less skill than both, shouldn't they at least try him there since the other two have failed thus far?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would like a guy like Blidh up, we could use some sandpaper out there. He is projected on the top Providence line as a few guys are just skating again, like Bjork and Senyshyn. He could take a spot on the 4th line till Nordy gets back. He does have some offense to his game, more than Acciari anyways. Not sure if he Pk's need to ask the guys watching Providence.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Point Pace Per 82 games

Last Year:

Marchand(103)Bergeron(81)Pastrnak(80)
DeBrusk(50)Krejci(56)Nash(39)
Heinen(50)Nash(44)Backes(47)
Schaller(22)Kuraly(15)Acciari(15)

This Year:

Marchand(88)Bergeron(113)Pastrnak(103)
Debrusk(37)Krejci(64)Donato(22)
Heinen(22)Cave(22)Backes(25)
Nordstrom(15)Kuraly(22)Wagner(16)

1st line: +39 Points
2nd line: -22 Points
3rd line: -72 Points :help:
4th line: +1

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Point Pace Per 82 games

Last Year:

This Year:

like it... breaking it down...

we have the top line at a higher clip an extra 40 points... no problems there

on line 2... krejci got a bump with the superior wingers carrying him for awhile but should average out over the second 1/2. debrusk goals are up/assists down. that's more dumb luck then anything else. donato doesn't really deserve to be judged here but the variety of guys we have used haven't been good enough.

line 3 clearly is where almost the entire difference has been. last year the 3rd line became a thing for a couple months mid season and dominated. we are down over 70 points here... 50%... even putting donato in for cave doesn't make a huge difference. I would say the 3rd line is backes/kuraly/Nordstrom but it doesn't matter how you chalk it up. 3rd line is down from last year.

4th line is a saw off... but if we are going with Heinen/jk/donato at the 4th line then its definitely more dangerous then last year.

first and fourth lines... have more potential to score. second line is a player away from being as good/better then last year... and the 3rd line wont score as well as last year {but last year didn't come through at playoffs} ultimately we need the 3rd line to be able to play it level... stay even. I think we could expect that from backes/kuraly/Nordstrom. we didn't get that from backes/nash/Heinen in the big games at playoff time

I don't know.... I think we are pretty close to fixing the second line with 1 trade... and then if everyone gets healthy go with kuraly/backes/Nordstrom and Heinen/jfk/donato as our bottom lines... and get cave/wagner into the press box

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Point Pace Per 82 games

Last Year:

This Year:

1st line: +39 Points
2nd line: -22 Points
3rd line: -72 Points :help:
4th line: +1

Hey...2 lines up and 2 lines down. That's not so bad!

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Tampa's 4th liners Pacquette, Joseph, Callahan currently have 8, 9 and 3 goals. Calling Kuraly's 4 goals in 39 games as a 2nd line material is ridiculous. What a sad state of hockey in Boston.
Comparing them to a team in the running for best regular season EVER in the NHL? The Bruins have issues, but so do all the teams, save for Tampa. They are just 6 points back from second in their division which also happens to be tied for second in the entire NHL.

What a sad state indeed

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Maybe a preseason game but he got sent down quickly after the game.

Blidh is an interesting player but I'm not so certain I want a guy running around trying to be the next Marchand while we try to hold a playoff spot
He's cleaned up his game

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Krejci given the day off. Looks like Cave may be the odd man out. My guess is they do similar thing to last game and Donato, Heinen and Backes all cycle through on the 2nd line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
4th line has been nothing short of stellar

-Kuraly just leave your face shield on the rest of the season. I would not touch Wagner Acciari Kuraly even if Nordstrom returns or Backes is dropped from the 2nd line

-3rd line (kid line) is building nice chemistry. Donato getting better and better at helping out at the D end, little details. Heinen has looked most effective on this line this season

- 2nd line - disconnect. Nobody knows what the other is doing/thinking it seems. Krejci and Debrusk have OK chemistry but Debrusk wants to go north/south.... Krejci east/west. Backes has no business being on the 2nd line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The team just looks better without Cave. I'll even take Acciari over Cave.

looks better without Nordstrom

Cave Nordstrom Acciari and even Backes are all interchangeable on the 4th line

It is sandpaper overkill to play all

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
I hope when Charlie comes back they put him with miller cause I find the chemistry between Chara/Carlo and Krug/Moore to be really good. Miller has played the off side before and it would give us three really balanced pairs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The team just looks better without Cave. I'll even take Acciari over Cave.

i'm not sure why they didn't send cave down before the 10 game/30 day period, even if they brought him back up again.
as far as i understand, that would've eluded the waiver issue and he'd be back in providence right now (where they certainly
miss him). of course, i'm not even sure anyone would pick him up off waivers. he's a nice grinder, but i don't see more than 4C
upside personally. could be wrong, have been plenty.

Reactions: weaponomega

EdwardSharpe

Apr 26, 2017
Marchand - Krejci - Pasta
Nordström - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Donato - Forsbacka Karlsson - Heinen
Kuraly - Acciari - Wagner/Backes

Is this the best we can do with the current forward lineup (when Nordström is healthy)? Play Bergeron with Nordström and DeBrusk and let them take on a more defensive role. I think that line could break up plays and counterattack really fast with speedy wingers and Bergeron in the middle. Leave the third line for now and let the fourth line players rotate.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
With McAvoy (95% chance to play against TOR)) and Miller back in the line-up, the Bruins finally have their full D corps available.

Based on that - Cassidy said he needs to pick between Grzelcyk or Moore for 3LD.

Who do you go with? Moore has had the better stretch recently, but Gryz is trusted for more minutes.

Thoughts?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With Cehlarik called up

Marchand Begeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Cehlarik
Heinen JFK Donato
Backes Acciari Kuraly

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad