Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Once Pasta is back Cehlarik needs to be called back up and put on the third line with Heinen. It's a mistake to enter the playoffs with so many low scoring threats in the lineup. The fourth line needs Wagner on it to give it some chance of scoring. He's a fourth line player, and a very good one. Just look at the bottom six of elite teams. They have some scoring/playmaking threat. The Bs do not need a fourth liner on the third line combined with a fourth line composed of players who ALL are among the very worst in the NHL in goals per 60 minutes. Some folks way undervalue what Cehlarik can contribute. He is good at taking the puck away in the neutral zone and defensive zone. He does not make that many turnovers, as a couple folks on here have way overblown (hint: look at his takeaway/giveaway ratio and compare it to the rest of the team -- might surprise some people). Most importantly, he is offensive-minded, and if given a consistent chance with other players with offensive skill can make plays that result in points.

This team is absolutely 100% not going to win a Cup with a fourth liner on the third line, and a fourth line of awful scorers. I'm happy that gritty, hard defensive play puts the jimmies on some folk's sundaes, but it will be a failed strategy if the third line is also offensively anemic due to Bruce's fascination with non-offensive players in the bottom six. I love what the fourth line brings, however it needs to be Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner (Nordstrom), period. Wagner's chances generally come off the great D the fourth line plays when there is chaos on the ice. He is not effective when the play is set up in the zone. The great stuff he does will not be as likely to occur on the third line. Third line needs to be Heinen-Coyle-Ceharik. Those are third line players. That gives you a third line that at least has the potential to score and can play responsible enough defense. There has to be a balance of O and D. Not too keen on seeing this team entirely live and die with merely the top 6 once they face elite competition over a 7 game series.

This team has all the potential to make some noise if fully healthy and the right pieces are in the right places. Otherwise it will come up short due to the usual lack of finish and lack of secondary scoring that has been bemoaned so much. Bottom six scoring matters in the playoffs when games and series are close.

Cehlarik has been given chance after chance in the league, and for an offensive player he doesn't produce offense (3 pts in his last 18 games despite much of it on second line). What he does produce is bad turnovers and penalties. I get why people like him, he has stretches of good plays. He flashes the occasional interesting offensive play, but at the end of the day there is very little result from his offensive plays.

I'd rather have Kuhlman back to play on the 3rd line

Reactions: wintersej

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Cehlarik has been given chance after chance in the league, and for an offensive player he doesn't produce offense (3 pts in his last 18 games despite much of it on second line). What he does produce is bad turnovers and penalties. I get why people like him, he has stretches of good plays. He flashes the occasional interesting offensive play, but at the end of the day there is very little result from his offensive plays.

I'd rather have Kuhlman back to play on the 3rd line
He hasn't been given chance after chance though. And he hasn't exactly had set linemates very much either. He looked great when he did, however. His shooting pct is 13.3 pct. 13 takeaways vs 6 giveaways. 4 goals in 20 games while playing with a variety of players and not getting a ton of minutes (20+ goal season pace). 59.9 corsi 60.9 Fenwick. +3. Great playmaker...not his fault players can't finish when he gets them the puck. It's a flipping joke at this point that a team with trash secondary scoring insists on diddling around with so many offensively inept players in the lineup. It's going to ultimately be the B's downfall in the playoffs if Bruce insists on having two lines that have very little playmaking. Been watching this league too long to think otherwise. Defense alone doesn't win Cups.

Reactions: Blowfish

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
You have to think we'll see both Cehlarik and Kuhlman called up when the playoffs begin.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
For now I would hope they go with

Marchand-Bergy- Pasta
Debrusk- Krecj- Backes
Nordstrom-Coyle-Heinen

Mainly to get Coyle back in his regular position playing with Henien if that's the plan for the playoffs.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
He looked great when he did, however. His shooting pct is 13.3 pct. 13 takeaways vs 6 giveaways. 4 goals in 20 games while playing with a variety of players and not getting a ton of minutes (20+ goal season pace). 59.9 corsi 60.9 Fenwick. +3.
Cehlarik has also stayed out of the penalty box for the most part -- aside from all the bench minors of course!

But, should we be fortunate enough to get and stay healthy, it's about the type of 3rd line they want to go with, oriented toward scoring or checking. If the bottom 6 can keep the puck out of the net I'll take my chances with Bergeron & Krejci to provide the winning edge.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cehlarik has also stayed out of the penalty box for the most part -- aside from all the bench minors of course!

But, should we be fortunate enough to get and stay healthy, it's about the type of 3rd line they want to go with, oriented toward scoring or checking. If the bottom 6 can keep the puck out of the net I'll take my chances with Bergeron & Krejci to provide the winning edge.

I’m not sure that’s the best way to go? Last year the B’s relied on their Top 6 and were satisfied with a Bottom 6 that was defensively responsible. It took them seven games to dispatch TOR and they got punked by Tampa.

I want them to put together three lines that are threats to score. When healthy, they should be able to do it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For now I would hope they go with

Marchand-Bergy- Pasta
Debrusk- Krecj- Backes
Nordstrom-Coyle-Heinen

Mainly to get Coyle back in his regular position playing with Henien if that's the plan for the playoffs.

So,

One great line...

One good line with an anchor on RW...

One line we don’t know about with an anchor on LW...

Not the way I would go.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m not sure that’s the best way to go? Last year the B’s relied on their Top 6 and were satisfied with a Bottom 6 that was defensively responsible. It took them seven games to dispatch TOR and they got punked by Tampa.

I want them to put together three lines that are threats to score. When healthy, they should be able to do it.

Well they better, because if they can't, they are toast.

You cannot win a cup anymore without production from your 3rd line. Being defensively responsible just isn't good enough.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Eh? Backes should be on the 4th line or benched

The idea being that you have the guys that are actually playing together in the playoffs playing together right now. Krecji-Debrusk would be the pair and, Mojo when healthy would be on that line, for now Backes or Nordstrom. Then third line is going to be Heinen-Coyle- Then either Backes or Nordstrom. Then when everyone is healthy either Backes or Nordstrom sits.

As opposed to mixing up all the lines then when playoffs come and everyone is healthy have a 3rd line that hasn't played together.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Johansson
Heinen -- Coyle -- Wagner
Nordstrom -- Kuraly -- Acciari

or

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Heinen
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Pastrnak
Johansson -- Coyle -- Wagner

These are the two lineups I'd like to see. I was against breaking up the 4th line but it's so much better with no Backes.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Johansson
Heinen -- Coyle -- Wagner

or

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Heinen
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Pastrnak
Johansson -- Coyle -- Wagner

These are the two lineups I'd like to see. I was against breaking up the 4th line but it's so much better with no Backes.

This is it...Either rocks!

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
outsider here (NJD fan to be specific) who enjoys watching the B's..... assuming health, who is the odd man out on the backend come playoffs? Moore or Miller I would assume? Against the Leafs would it be safe to say Moore would be the sensible option to keep in?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
outsider here (NJD fan to be specific) who enjoys watching the B's..... assuming health, who is the odd man out on the backend come playoffs? Moore or Miller I would assume? Against the Leafs would it be safe to say Moore would be the sensible option to keep in?

If both are healthy, Moore is unquestionably the better option against a fast-skating Leaf team.

But it will be Kevan Miller who is dressed each night if all the D-men are ready to go.

Reactions: Estlin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When Studnicka season ends....

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Johansson
Heinen - Coyle - Studnicka
Kuralt- Wagner - Backes/Acciari

Reactions: TCB

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
63/37/88 - just can’t break it up.
74/46/90 - showed good chemistry
43/13/14 - won’t score a lot...but excellent puck control and Wagner adds grit.
52/55/42 - was the best line against Ottawa a few years ago.

edit: I want to break up the #1 line... its just too late and too risky. Go with what got you here.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Something a little different

Marchand-Bergeron-Johansson
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Coyle-Wagner
Kuraly-Acciari-Backes
Nordstrom

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
With Kuraly out for a while, it now sets up like this once Johansson is ready, Kuhlman will be the extra.

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Johansson
Heinen-Coyle-Wagner
Nordstrom-Acciari-Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad