2018-2019 Liiga Talk

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Discussion thread of 2018-2019 liiga season.
My 2018-2019 liiga season predictions.

1 Kärpät
2 TPS
3 Tappara
4 HIFK
5 JYP
6 Ässät
7 Lukko
8 Saipa
9 Kalpa
10 Pelicans
11 Ilves
12 HPK
13 Sport
14 Kookoo
15 Jukurit

Top Scorer Eric Perrin JYP
Best goal scorer Erik Thorell HIFK
Best Defenceman Ilkka Heikkinen TPS
Best Goaltender Atte Engren HIFK
Rookie of the year Kaapo Kakko TPS
Most penalized player Miro Karjalainen HPK
Best Referee Jari Levonen
First coach to fired Pekka Kangasalusta Jukurit

Medals
Gold Kärpät
Silver TPS
Bronze HIFK.

member 305909

Even though I'm not a Kärpät-fan as I'm not from the north, one must give credit to them; they have come a long way in 15 years. In 1989-1999 they spent 10 years in the lower division (unless I'm mistaken one season even in the third tier)

Since 2004 they have won the league 7 times and are now fast approaching TPS and Tappara as the most succesful league-team. TPS and Tappara have 10 titles and Kärpät 8.

Of course all Ilves-fans say that statistics is rubbish as hockey didn't start in Finland in 1975 but much earlier and Ilves are the all-time top-team but they only have one league title and even that is 33 years ago.

Ilves is a bit like Montreal Canadians; a glorious past but these days never even close to making it to the top.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Here is what I received in response if anyone is curious or swings by wondering if they can get it. No deal unless you're in Finland

Hello,

Unfortunately at the momet Liiga is not available abroad. Ordering it requires finnish address and contact info. There is some plans for credit card payment but I don't have timetable for this.

Best regards,

I'm assuming accepting credit card payments would open it up worldwide but he didn't really confirm that.

Additional context: Liiga has moved from Ruutu to Telia. Telia is only available if you reside in Finland.

Last edited:

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
I'm assuming accepting credit card payments would open it up worldwide but he didn't really confirm that.

Yes, this is very confusing situation. I've been paying my Liiga tv-product with credit card for years now, but for some reason Telia can't provide that option to consumers and from now on I have to wait to get invoice to my email, so I can pay it (so last century crap).

Additional context: Liiga has moved from Ruutu to Telia. Telia is only available if you reside in Finland.

Liiga product via telia is only available in Finland, but the company is in all the nordic countries and if I remember correctly, they have HQ in Sweden.

Reactions: KillEmAll83

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Even though I'm not a Kärpät-fan as I'm not from the north, one must give credit to them; they have come a long way in 15 years. In 1989-1999 they spent 10 years in the lower division (unless I'm mistaken one season even in the third tier)

Yes. According to wikipedia, Kärpät were in 2.division (third tier back then) for one season (1994-1995).

Since 2004 they have won the league 7 times and are now fast approaching TPS and Tappara as the most succesful league-team. TPS and Tappara have 10 titles and Kärpät 8.

Of course all Ilves-fans say that statistics is rubbish as hockey didn't start in Finland in 1975 but much earlier and Ilves are the all-time top-team but they only have one league title and even that is 33 years ago.

Ilves is a bit like Montreal Canadians; a glorious past but these days never even close to making it to the top.

Here is a list of ice hockey champions in Finland. From 1928 to 1974 the name of the competition was sm-sarja. Back then they only play "regular season" and the number one after that became the champion. 1975 they decided to change the format more like north american and after regular season, they started to play playoff games and decide the champion that way. At the same time the name changed to sm-liiga. Kulta = Gold -> Champion, Hopea = Silver -> second place, Pronssi = Bronze -> third place, Runkosarjan voittaja = Winner of the regular season.

member 305909

It's a bit like telling Liverpool that they are not a successful football-club as they have never won the EPL and football only started in England in 1992.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
From 1928 to 1974 the name of the competition was sm-sarja. Back then they only play "regular season" and the number one after that became the champion.
It is true that many seasons had the format that only regular season was played, but other systems were used too. For example for the very first seasons it was a cup type competition and most seasons in the Fifties had a format that the regular season was played in two separate groups and then the winners of the groups faced each other to decide the champion.

member 305909

They should do away with the artificial extra local-matches. As Jokerit went to the KHL and Espoo Blues went bankcrupt HIFK's local matches are against such close neighbours as HPK and Kärpät.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Telia made deal with TV5 to air 7 regular season games and 8 playoff games on free tv. First game is on opening round September 14th. The rest of the games will be shown on Wednesdays.

Romaniemi

Nov 8, 2017
Do You have any news about Nicklas Nordgren (18v) from HIFK ? I don't see him playing in preseason ja neither he played in U20 tournament in Kaamloops for Finland .
Is he injured ?
Good choice by Chicago blackhawks . Totally underrated by North americans scout .

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Do You have any news about Nicklas Nordgren (18v) from HIFK ? I don't see him playing in preseason ja neither he played in U20 tournament in Kaamloops for Finland .
Is he injured ?
Good choice by Chicago blackhawks . Totally underrated by North americans scout .

Yes Nordgren is injured.
He got upper body injury Blackhawks summer camp after the draft.
Worst rumors are telling Nordgren's injury requires major surgery and his season is over.

But HIFK hasn't announced any further information of Nordgren's injury.
Only what HIFK is announced is that Nordgren's return back to games is wide open
which means there's no timeline or any other schedule when he's back.

Reactions: Romaniemi

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Top Scorer Eric Perrin JYP
Best goal scorer Erik Thorell HIFK
Best Defenceman Ilkka Heikkinen TPS
Best Goaltender Atte Engren HIFK
Rookie of the year Kaapo Kakko TPS
Most penalized player Miro Karjalainen HPK
Best Referee Jari Levonen
First coach to fired Pekka Kangasalusta Jukurit

Welp. Heikkinen is not even the best defenseman in TPS, let alone the whole league. His effort level is questionable to say the least. He just happens to have an absolute howitzer of a shot.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Here is what I received in response if anyone is curious or swings by wondering if they can get it. No deal unless you're in Finland

In Sweden, CMore only takes local credit cards, so who knows. I have friends in Finland and can use their addresses to make things happen, but paying for the product is the confusing part. If you jump through hoops you can download the Telia TV app, but a lot of moving parts right now.

member 305909

In Lappeenranta there is a bar which charges 5.50 for a pint of beer but when a Saipa-game is on they reduce the charge by 50 cents for every Saipa-goal.

I guess they don't have confidence that Saipa could score 11 goals.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Liiga is thought to be introducing Red Bull helmets to be worn by best young players already this season as a part of a sponsorship deal with the energy drink manufacturer.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Is there a case to add another Mestis team after this season or will a poor performance from say Jukurit see calls for a contraction (personally don't see the latter happening).

Seems like Kärpät are my favourites to win again.

Would be nice to see a surprise team win.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If anyone (none Finn, all Finns no this site) wants to follow all of the games that are played each round go here -> Etusivu | Liiga
You know, if you want to follow your teams prospects that happen to play in the Liiga :)

Yes its all in Finnish, but it automatically updates the scores, for all the games, gives even a nice <ding> sound every time
a team scores a goal.

If you wanna check the box score, just hover over the score and click. (before the games begin, it shows the line up)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->