Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i would have like to see KK one more year in iowa (19/20) then 20/21 in mn but now that's not likely unless we trade stalock .

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i would have like to see KK one more year in iowa (19/20) then 20/21 in mn but now that's not likely unless we trade stalock .
Stalock's pretty easy to trade away if he's blocking Kahkonen in some way.

Thinking about it though, wouldn't having Kahkonen up as the backup in 2020-21 mean having to expose either him or Dubnyk in the expansion draft? If so that'd put the kibosh on that possibility.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh ok i missed that signing... Puts a bit of a damper in what i was wondering lol
Not really. The cap hit on Stalock's contract is so small that it is not an impediment to any new goalie being added to the mix. As to your first question, non of us know when , or if, KK will be ready to play as a starter in the NHL. As of now, it is thought that he should play regularly in the AHL rather than sporadically in the NHL.
An injury could change everything in a hurry however.

The main thing is that KK not be rushed into a spot and be overwhelmed.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Wild prospect McBain went down with an apparent shoulder injury in last nights BC/UMass Lowell game and did not return.
Got the game Winner in Bean Pot semi’s against Harvard but could miss Mondays final against Northeastern. Was playing very well coming back from Mono earlier in the year.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
Let's say we don't make the playoffs, but have a pick between 10 and 15. Who would you be interested in at that area of the draft? If Alex Newhook, Podkolzin, or Cole Caufield is available I would jump on them. If we somehow received a top 10 pick I would pick whoever of the centers at the top of the draft.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
BPA for me. A C would be great, but the main thing is to get an offensive talent.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
LW is the least desirable position for us to pick. I mean, if he's super talented you go for him, but we've got Parise for years more, Zucker, and Greenway. Seems bizarre to trade away Nino after complaining about his handedness, then draft another LHS forward, especially one who isn't a C.

I mean, he's still young, and I hate to type anyone prematurely, but he sounds like a LHS Sokolov(at worst). He is scoring at an earlier age than Sokolov did, but one wonders if Sokolov was on a decent team rather than Sudbury, and didn't have to acclimatize to North America, like Kaliyev(US born).

Last edited:
Reactions: DumbaTrain

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
LW is the least desirable position for us to pick. I mean, if he's super talented you go for him, but we've got Parise for years more, Zucker, and Greenway. Seems bizarre to trade away Nino after complaining about his handedness, then draft another LHS forward, especially one who isn't a C.

I mean, he's still young, and I hate to type anyone prematurely, but he sounds like a LHS Sokolov(at worst). He is scoring at an earlier age than Sokolov did, but one wonders if Sokolov was on a decent team rather than Sudbury, and didn't have to acclimatize to North America, like Kaliyev(US born).

Because we wouldn't be drafting him for the 2019-2020 season. We'd be drafting him for when Parise is 37/38 years old and who knows if Zucker will still be on the team in a week, let alone 3+ years from now.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Because we wouldn't be drafting him for the 2019-2020 season. We'd be drafting him for when Parise is 37/38 years old and who knows if Zucker will still be on the team in a week, let alone 3+ years from now.

Depends on where we draft; also if we aren't expecting them for the 2019 season, this is going to be a multiyear tank or why are we tanking in the first place?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

sokolov did play on a better team though, barrie colts traded for him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
sokolov did play on a better team though, barrie colts traded for him.
yes, for a small part of his final season in(29 games). The vast majority of his time in junior he played for Sudbury(167 games). Odd that you would choose to correct me on something that didn't need correcting.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Everyone is calling for us to tank.
Some fans are calling for us to tank but it's unlikely that that'll actually happen. There's kind of a semantic argument around whether or not selling UFAs at the deadline == "tanking," but I'm inclined to think it isn't. Tanking would be starting Stalock for the rest of the season.

Either way I'd be shocked if Fenton's goal wasn't playoffs next year, but I guess you never know.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
yes, for a small part of his final season in(29 games). The vast majority of his time in junior he played for Sudbury(167 games). Odd that you would choose to correct me on something that didn't need correcting.

just chose to point it out. his numbers seemed to grow faster on the better team from what i saw. not sure what to make of it though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
just chose to point it out. his numbers seemed to grow faster on the better team from what i saw. not sure what to make of it though.
He was playing with Svechnikov and someone else good in Barrie vs. no one in Sudbury.
My overall point is that Kaliyev seems to share certain characteristics with Sokolov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->