2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Bigger question...

Do I keep my beard neat and trimmed or do I go full animal until ahem, we hope, you know, and go full Grizzly Adams?

(Or do we need a new thread to debate this because well, you know)

MV5BM2FmNjdlYTktMmU3ZC00ZmU0LTlkMTMtNTY5ZTA0MmJlZmYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxMjk0Mg@@._V1_UY268_CR70,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kucherov was asked what he has learned from coming so close to the Stanley Cup almost every year he has been with the Lightning.

“Make sure we score goals in games six and seven,” he deadpanned to laughter. “Play more defensively, help Vasy more back there and make sure we score goals.”

Steven Stamkos chimed in from next to Kucherov at the podium: “Great answer.”
Nikita Kucherov has best line of All-Star Game

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
They're saying all the right things this year. They know how close they've come. They know they've lost to the Cup winners all these times.

I sure hope they back up the talk this time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

So this is interesting. I mean, we knew it, but definitely can say Coburn is gone this offseason.

I think Coop may prefer having everyone playing their natural sides in the postseason, which would mean that Coburn may be the one left out.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

So this is interesting. I mean, we knew it, but definitely can say Coburn is gone this offseason.

I think Coop may prefer having everyone playing their natural sides in the postseason, which would mean that Coburn may be the one left out.

I am okay with that. Cobie has done an admirable job in having a good bounce back year after being in pairing hell (AKA with Sustr) the last few years. However, I am thrilled with the way Cernak has played and Sergachev's rounding into form minus a few bumps and bruises. Cobie is the odd man out and it's a nice problem to have.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I am okay with that. Cobie has done an admirable job in having a good bounce back year after being in pairing hell (AKA with Sustr) the last few years. However, I am thrilled with the way Cernak has played and Sergachev's rounding into form minus a few bumps and bruises. Cobie is the odd man out and it's a nice problem to have.
This really is an interesting development. If Serge is staying on the left side long term that means Girardi over Coburn in the short term, which I don’t love.

It also means the Lightning can’t squeeze Serge into the top 4 anytime soon and the team has on RHD signed for next year unles Foote is ready, which seems unlikely.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Coburn can play the right side too though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Coburn can play the right side too though.
Yes, but there's an organizational preference to play the same side as your handedness. If we have 3 RHD that can play, they'll play (especially because Girardi and Coburn are pretty much a wash quality-wise).

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I want to see Coburn on Hedman’s right side to be honest:

Hedman - Coburn
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Stralman

Surprised we haven’t seen Heddy / Cobby pairing AT ALL past few seasons.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd prefer to have Coburn in over Erne, Callahan or Girardi for the playoffs. Hopefully they don't just sit him and go 11/7 instead.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015

I read a great article on HockeyBuzz.com today where it was suggested that for some pairings, Serge and Hedman should be on the ice together to pressure the other team. I LOVE, and I mean LOVE that idea...(along with Point-Stammer getting some time together):

HockeyBuzz.com - Sam Hitchcock - Don't Knock It Till You've Tried It

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
I'd prefer to have Coburn in over Erne, Callahan or Girardi for the playoffs. Hopefully they don't just sit him and go 11/7 instead.

You want Girardi out there, just not as many minutes. He is a good PK and great at blocking shots.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The right handed organizational focus really highlights the probable turnover for next year on the D line.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Here's a legitimate question that I've been wondering for some time now:

Do hockey players ever sit down and get together and discuss forming a super team similar to that of the NBA?

Obviously the playoffs are vastly different between the sports, but I've started to wonder if they're going to give it a go right here in Tampa.

You have virtually every player taking discounts to sign and stay here (signing bonus for most of the contract and taxes do help with that) alongside a winning culture.

With Karlsson and Panarin being linked to Tampa as desired/possible destinations for both (former being heavily linked to wanting to be here), could the players and JBB actually make it happen?

I understand our cap situation but, with Coburn, Girardi, Callahan and JT Miller off next year, it may actually be possible (with a Point bridge/miracle) to make it happen.

We've seen in the past where Selanne and Kariya got together but this is on a whole different level.

Just something that I've been wondering for some time now...almost seems like the final form of the Yzerplan.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
I'd be really surprised if they didn't at least play with the idea. Especially with Karlsson since he has been hanging out with Heddy and Stammer during the last two all-star events.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Super teams in the NHL aren't really possible as far as results. Even with a bunch of stars they still can only play like half the game at the most, unlike basketball where those guys can play a vast majority of the game. The closest we can get is stacking the D with Karlsson so at least one #1 guy is on the ice at all times if we roll all 3 pairs equally.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Yea, just the nature of the game and parity across the league. Any team has a shot at winning once the playoffs start whereas with the NBA, it's the complete opposite.

Reason I brought it up is because of where we're at. It's literally the perfect storm as far as a possible super team goes.

Amazing part is how SFY and JBB spaced out all the significant contracts to expire at different intervals that line up with the need to sign / pay raise with up and coming stars.

Suppose all parties involved are up for it -
'Is it necessary?'

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Here's a legitimate question that I've been wondering for some time now:

Do hockey players ever sit down and get together and discuss forming a super team similar to that of the NBA?

Obviously the playoffs are vastly different between the sports, but I've started to wonder if they're going to give it a go right here in Tampa.

You have virtually every player taking discounts to sign and stay here (signing bonus for most of the contract and taxes do help with that) alongside a winning culture.

With Karlsson and Panarin being linked to Tampa as desired/possible destinations for both (former being heavily linked to wanting to be here), could the players and JBB actually make it happen?

I understand our cap situation but, with Coburn, Girardi, Callahan and JT Miller off next year, it may actually be possible (with a Point bridge/miracle) to make it happen.

We've seen in the past where Selanne and Kariya got together but this is on a whole different level.

Just something that I've been wondering for some time now...almost seems like the final form of the Yzerplan.

Its all gotta line up. Point will have to take a discount. We would have to move a couple of players. Might have to ask a player later to waive NTC. I dont know if we are willing to do that or not.

Reactions: J T Money

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This information also means TB was NEVER a player for Muzin
my source says that is untrue just buy in was tooo high is all....

and yes toronto overpaid probably but they need the help like we did i look at this as the adding stralman type of thing and yes I know how we got stralman as a ufa lol...

as far as coburn think he is pretty much done and why he gets extra time on bench or seems more the girardi gets. as far as playoffs? i want girardi for pk cause we gonna be taking penalties as always and we NEED to shut down that side for sure... I mean who would you rather have i one of our notorious periods coburn on pk who doesnt get puck out doesnt block tires out the line or girardi taking pucks off head to save goales? I will be glad when foote is our 7th next year:)

next the muzzin deal? to me toronto moved that much closer to equaling out us and we probably now have to send them home... think this move they might win a playoff series finally smdh. To stay ahead of them MOVING forward and compete for multiple cups cause of shut down etc.. dont want no one and dones here

I am desperately wanting karlsson here. Cause I honestly do NOT think toronto is done and I have a feeling they gonna do everything in their power to land a top D MAN in this league a subban type or heddy etc... a difference maker... and then imho fairly they will be sitting equally with us until vasy hits his hasek run that I pray for and is the difference.

they add a top 10 d man a number one I got them equal to us in ever category at this time...
that SUCKS and is scary to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad