2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we'll coast a bit down the stretch and lose some games. Hopefully we remain on top, but I four back-to-backs sounds like it could hurt.

Then again, we have a lot of weapons this year. If three lines take a night off, the other can still win us a game. Or Vasy. But if we get through the second half on anything close to our current pace, I'll believe a little too much for my own liking, considering my obvious superstitions about fan confidence. :p

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
I think we'll coast a bit down the stretch and lose some games. Hopefully we remain on top, but I four back-to-backs sounds like it could hurt.

Then again, we have a lot of weapons this year. If three lines take a night off, the other can still win us a game. Or Vasy. But if we get through the second half on anything close to our current pace, I'll believe a little too much for my own liking, considering my obvious superstitions about fan confidence. :p
The bottom 6 has kind of cooled down as of late. Hopefully Joseph sticks in the lineup, he'll give a nice boost.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The bottom 6 has kind of cooled down as of late. Hopefully Joseph sticks in the lineup, he'll give a nice boost.

Has it? I think the centers have cooled off, but the wingers are still doing okay. Joseph scored last game, and I've been told a couple of times on the trade board that Cally is at like 0.5 ppg over his last 14. :p

Reactions: Hit The Lights

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tampa Bay Lightning Ten Game Report: Getting an early start on vacation

Let’s get the obvious thing out of the way here first. Over the last ten games, the 5v5 offense has been bad. The team isn’t generating many shots. And the shots they do generate aren’t dangerous. Compare that to the previous ten games and the difference is stark. For a team stacked with forward talent and known for its goal scoring, the Lightning have morphed into the trap-era Devils in terms of offensive proficiency. And that’s inexcusable. No team with this roster should be that impotent with the puck. Even for ten games.

These are always a good read.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks for sharing. This is interesting:

lightning_skater_heatmap_2019_01_20.png

Conclusion: Hedman and Killer are awesome

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
For anyone interested in the above (which you probably saw in the article anyway) they do one of these for every 10 game segment.

Not painting a great picture of Stralman this season TBH. I don't think he's visually looked as bad as the numbers make him seem, but he's definitely not been as good this season as he has been previously.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
For anyone interested in the above (which you probably saw in the article anyway) they do one of these for every 10 game segment.

Not painting a great picture of Stralman this season TBH. I don't think he's visually looked as bad as the numbers make him seem, but he's definitely not been as good this season as he has been previously.

Actually, I haven't liked what I've seen from Stralman all season, and the data are now starting to bear it out. He's making bad decisions with the puck, losing lots of board battles, and been invisible on offense. I don't think it's even close anymore that Cernak is a better defender.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

I think that injury Strålman had in November that kept him out for a month has had a big impact on his play this season. Before that he was his usually solid self and he and Mac were super together when Hedman was out. Then, to make things even more complicated, when he came back from injury he never had the same partner twice in a row due to the d-man rotation. Similar thing (minus the rotation) happened last season due to an injury lasting through December and he was able to bounce back after the All Star Break and finish the season solid so hopefully the same thing will happen with him this time. It's hard to see a favorite player that's been so great for us for the majority of his time with us struggling. :(

Reactions: JDBolt

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Actually, I haven't liked what I've seen from Stralman all season, and the data are now starting to bear it out. He's making bad decisions with the puck, losing lots of board battles, and been invisible on offense. I don't think it's even close anymore that Cernak is a better defender.

Actually, Strålman's offensive production is better than his average as he has 12 points in 31 games. That's the weird part. He's producing a wee bit more offense but his usually strong shot suppression has taken a nose dive.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Thanks for sharing. This is interesting:

lightning_skater_heatmap_2019_01_20.png

Conclusion: Hedman and Killer are awesome

At least Strålman is at the end of his contract so, as much as it would break my heart to lose a favorite player, it would be a relatively easy separation. :puppy:

However, is any one else worried about McDonagh's slumping?? From those stats he's only above Girardi and Strålman on our blue line and has a looooong contract to go with us.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think the whole team is kind of slumping right now. Seems to me like everyone was ready for some time away.

As much as I hate it, I wouldn't be shocked to see the rest of the season go similarly to last year where they take their foot off the gas and kind of just cruise on the lead they've built so they can conserve for the playoffs. It's a very questionable strategy, IMO, but one that just seems to be the way this team goes.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm keenly interested in how we are going to play after the break because so many players are going to get a chance to get healthy in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->