2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Crude photoshops of Bolts players on Golden State Warriors lifting the cup.
I wish we had signed Tavares for the sole purpose of photoshopping his head into Durant's infamous "My Next Chapter" picture.

Maybe we can put Karlsson on there for the hell of it.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I like the playoff avatar theme of “on paper” like, “best team in the league...on paper.” Or “gourde just had a baby....on paper”. “Kucherov is better than mcdavid...on paper”. Etc. but also: way funnier than those. I dunno *waves hands* I’m just the idea guy...

(On paper)
I like this too. We could switch from a picture of Kucherov scoring to a crudely drawn stick figure wearing the number 86 when the text switches to "...on paper".

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think I'd like my avatar to be a Scooby unmasking like the Caps had for Tom Wilson.

"Ok gang lets see who it really is"

*Pulls off Lightning logo mask to reveal a different logo*

"The Golden State Warriors????!!!"

"But..... You haven't won a Cup yet!"

Reactions: JDBolt

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And I guess the main board doesn't like me swooping in saying "Just a friendly reminder that the Lightning haven't won a Cup yet with this current core" and a More You Know logo on yet another Lightning thread being made

Reactions: JDBolt

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I was just thinking. What do you guys think about trying to grab Ferland from Carolina? Ferland has hands, speed, and a monster on the ice. A line with Ferland - Ceddy - Miller would be skilled, hard hitting, and tough to play against in the playoffs. Ferland only makes 1.75 this year and is a UFA at the end of the year. Ferland is a tougher Erne right now.

We would have to move a forward to fit him in, or someone (most likely Cally) would be on IR by the deadline or playoffs time. I wouldn't know what Carolina would want, he is scoring at a good cut right now too.

What do you guys think?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I was just thinking. What do you guys think about trying to grab Ferland from Carolina? Ferland has hands, speed, and a monster on the ice. A line with Ferland - Ceddy - Miller would be skilled, hard hitting, and tough to play against in the playoffs. Ferland only makes 1.75 this year and is a UFA at the end of the year. Ferland is a tougher Erne right now.

We would have to move a forward to fit him in, or someone (most likely Cally) would be on IR by the deadline or playoffs time. I wouldn't know what Carolina would want, he is scoring at a good cut right now too.

What do you guys think?

Just like Simmonds the price will be a 1st/2nd +. For one we can't really even trade either because of the Rangers condition. The other thing is that's a lot for a 4th liner. Does he or Simmonds produce the same if put in Erne spot? Erne is producing really well his points per 60 are close to Ferland, while getting no top 6 time and less PP, and way above Simmonds. Joseph is way above Simmonds as well and not that far behind Ferland with not favorable minutes either. If we are moving a 1st + Katchouk type prospect, go for a Duchene, Panarin type home run and stack the 3rd line then you have Cirelli and Joseph killing it on the 4th. We have JT Miller on our 4th line already as a luxury, we don't need another one.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Just like Simmonds the price will be a 1st/2nd +. For one we can't really even trade either because of the Rangers condition. The other thing is that's a lot for a 4th liner. Does he or Simmonds produce the same if put in Erne spot? Erne is producing really well his points per 60 are close to Ferland, while getting no top 6 time and less PP, and way above Simmonds. Joseph is way above Simmonds as well and not that far behind Ferland with not favorable minutes either. If we are moving a 1st + Katchouk type prospect, go for a Duchene, Panarin type home run and stack the 3rd line then you have Cirelli and Joseph killing it on the 4th. We have JT Miller on our 4th line already as a luxury, we don't need another one.
Do you honestly think the price of Ferland with be a 1st + ? Honestly, I don't think Carolina wants picks. Probably closer to ready prospects. Which we have a ton of to offer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do you honestly think the price of Ferland with be a 1st + ? Honestly, I don't think Carolina wants picks. Probably closer to ready prospects. Which we have a ton of to offer.

Yes, he's one of the top deadline pieces available. There's a chance Duchene, Panarin or Stone are resigned so not available. That leaves guys like Ferland, Simmonds and Brassard as the best options and at the deadline the price goes up. He's not worth it but someone might pay it. I would avoid those players and look at cheaper depth like Panik, Kruger or Vanek who could be had for much less.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yes, he's one of the top deadline pieces available. There's a chance Duchene, Panarin or Stone are resigned so not available. That leaves guys like Ferland, Simmonds and Brassard as the best options and at the deadline the price goes up. He's not worth it but someone might pay it. I would avoid those players and look at cheaper depth like Panik, Kruger or Vanek who could be had for much less.
If that is the right ask, that is way too rich for my blood. Still doesn't change the idea that I like the idea of his play style on the team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Simmonds disappears for long stretches. I'm not a huge fan of his honestly.

He's also slow as shit.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016

He's also slow as ****.

For a supposed tough guy he's not particularly noticeable either. You know when guys like Reaves or even Tom Wilson are on the ice - Simmonds is not that guy, at least not anymore.

If we're looking for a depth guy that can be a net-front presence then Boyle would be a better fit and cheaper, although I really don't think this team needs to make moves at the deadline.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If that is the right ask, that is way too rich for my blood. Still doesn't change the idea that I like the idea of his play style on the team.

He has more hits per game than any other forward besides Paquette but he also plays more than Erne or Joseph so those guys would be closer if they had his minutes. He's also played with Aho, Teravainen, Guadreau and Monahan a lot the last two years which has helped his production. Think he's a bottom 6 guy for us and as a LW we already have Killorn who is just as good or Miller can move up. We just need a 4th liner who can PK like Callahan so if Callahan gets hurt we have insurance for him.

If we are trading a 1st + Katchouk type and are looking for a physical bottom 6 presence I'd look at Lawon Crouse from Arizona. He's 10 years younger than a Simmonds and is a more physical presence. Still developing so he could still become a 20-20 guy. That's what I would target is a younger guy with potential.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I don't get what the obsession with Simmonds is. His playoff stats are worse than Miller's.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My main objection on Simmonds is how streaky he is. He's the prototypical powerforward dominating opponents physically and on the scoresheet at times, only to completely disappear and coast in other games. Playstyle resulting in minor injuries and fatigue might play a role. Lack of foot speed is another issue, as our team is super fast and feeding off counter rushes and (semi-)breakaways.

On the other hand, when on, he's an effective player who provides a wide array of weapons (net presence, scoring, hitting, fighting). When comparing him to current Lightning players keep in mind the Flyers are a way worse team. His stats would arguably be better on a line with our top-6 forwards or with the "top-7" line, hell even with Paquette.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like this too. We could switch from a picture of Kucherov scoring to a crudely drawn stick figure wearing the number 86 when the text switches to "...on paper".

Nikita Kucherov has back-to-back 100 point seasons and three top-3 scoring finishes in a row... ...On paper.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He's also slow as ****.

I wouldn't mind him as a depth player. I think he'd add something we don't currently have, and the kind of gritty goal-scoring we seem to have been missing at times in previous post-seasons.

That said, I don't think I'd want to outbid other teams for him. I think somebody's gonna overpay and I'd rather it not be us. We're poised to compete for the foreseeable future, and I'd rather not gamble too much of that future on anybody who's not a sure thing. ...And I don't really believe in Sure Things when it comes to the TDL, so...

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
The playoff avatars about 2019 Stanley Cup Champs might be fun, but they scare me a bit as they seem to be tempting the hockey gods/powers of jinxing waaaaay too much! :eek:

I really like the "...on paper" or "...but no cup" ones better.
Worrying about jinxing is what's jinxing us.

Reactions: The Macho Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad