2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Negotiations with Vasy will dictate whether we can sign Karlsson. If Vasy signs a team friendly deal, they'll extend a bridge deal toward Point to free the funds to make EK happen.

If not, they'll sign Point to a long term deal.
Ya Vasy is key what is the goalie market price for 10.5 ? The king in New York makes 8.5. So is it safe to say Vasy gets 7 to 9 avv ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The amount of overreactions I've seen on here over the past couple weeks has been ridiculous. (but expected). You would think we were barley holding onto the last wild card spot with some of the hot takes on here.

The switch is real. Do not lose faith.

KUCH BELIEVES AND YOU SHOULD TO!!!!

Perfect for kucherov because he didn’t have to speak a word lol

Reactions: Master P

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I think it’s better if the Bolts feel vulnerable going into the playoffs. Whoever their first round opponents will be, they will be playing with no pressure or expectation to win.
If the Bolts feel a little uncertain about themselves they’ll be forced to raise the bar.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Ya Vasy is key what is the goalie market price for 10.5 ? The king in New York makes 8.5. So is it safe to say Vasy gets 7 to 9 avv ?

8x8 with Vasy or less is the only way we can make ends meet.

If Point has like a 120 point season he could demand the world, but if he signs the Kucherov bridge deal, we will have the room to maneuver.

We will have two years after the Vasy deal to accumulate cap space for Points long term contract. Vasy at 8x8 and Point at 5.5x3 would provide the space needed to add Karlsson.

Sergachev gets bridged for 2-3m, unless he blows the door off expectations next year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

If Point has like a 120 point season he could demand the world, but if he signs the Kucherov bridge deal, we will have the room to maneuver.

We will have two years after the Vasy deal to accumulate cap space for Points long term contract. Vasy at 8x8 and Point at 5.5x3 would provide the space needed to add Karlsson.

Sergachev gets bridged for 2-3m, unless he blows the door off expectations next year.
this is dead on from what I think happens but I think Point will get 6 to 6.5 avv on a three year bridge deal not 5.5. Vasy 8x8 is what I think happens

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017

Seems like so much to do but I like your thinking.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Vasilevskiy is going to get what Bobrovsky got on his deal after winning the Vezina which was 10.17% of the cap. The current cap is 79.5 so he'd get 8.085 but it will go up by the time he resigns, he could negotiate this summer if he wants but could wait till the following when the cap will be over 85. So he should be getting 8.5+, it would be smart to lock him up on July 1st to save a few hundred thousand to possibly a million by waiting till next summer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The best thing to do for Point is a 3 year bridge which gets us to the summer when Palat comes off the books. At that time all the forwards, Miller, Gourde, Killorn and Johnson will have modified NTC and could be easier to move. If they haven't already. We also could do a two year bridge everyone except Gourde will have a modified so we can move them then. So we only have to convince Point to wait two years and we could pay him what he wants and it will be more than what he will be getting if he wants long term right away. Kucherov really didn't cost himself a lot taking a bridge, he did a little taking the 3 year deal, because he wasn't getting anything close to 9.5 when he signed it. He would've got more up front, like 6.5 - 7 but the last 3 years at 9.5 would make up for most of that. So I can see Point taking a bridge knowing he'll cash out when it's over.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vasilevskiy is going to get what Bobrovsky got on his deal after winning the Vezina which was 10.17% of the cap. The current cap is 79.5 so he'd get 8.085 but it will go up by the time he resigns, he could negotiate this summer if he wants but could wait till the following when the cap will be over 85. So he should be getting 8.5+, it would be smart to lock him up on July 1st to save a few hundred thousand to possibly a million by waiting till next summer.
ya Vasy did a deal a year in advance last time hoping he does again it will make it a little cheaper

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The best thing to do for Point is a 3 year bridge which gets us to the summer when Palat comes off the books. At that time all the forwards, Miller, Gourde, Killorn and Johnson will have modified NTC and could be easier to move. If they haven't already. We also could do a two year bridge everyone except Gourde will have a modified so we can move them then. So we only have to convince Point to wait two years and we could pay him what he wants and it will be more than what he will be getting if he wants long term right away. Kucherov really didn't cost himself a lot taking a bridge, he did a little taking the 3 year deal, because he wasn't getting anything close to 9.5 when he signed it. He would've got more up front, like 6.5 - 7 but the last 3 years at 9.5 would make up for most of that. So I can see Point taking a bridge knowing he'll cash out when it's over.
kucherov was smart with his deal he blew auston matthews away took a 3 year deal then got 8 years so a 11 year deal in total and no state taxes. these RFA's would be better off doing 3 year deals then go for the monster deal after the 3 years like kucherov did. I think it's dumb after the ELC how then they lock into a 8 year deal right away.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Not-so-hypothetical:
You have to trade one of Sergachev, Foote, or Cernak before the expansion draft.

Who do you pick, and what do you target as a return?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I think a lot of factors potentially bring that # down, but 8m is a solid expectation IMO

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Im not quite ready to give up on the idea but I wont hold my breath come FA.

It would require so many moving pieces that I don't think it's realistic. Point could literally get double what we'd been anticipating and Gourde has a 5m contract kicking in. Neither of these things were part of the conversation last summer.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not-so-hypothetical:
You have to trade one of Sergachev, Foote, or Cernak before the expansion draft.

Who do you pick, and what do you target as a return?

Probably more realistic that we do what we did last time, and pay a premium to keep the players.

...Kind of funny how that worked out last time, with the two players we wanted to keep Vegas away from being Dotchin and Koekkoek.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t know. I don’t think he’d get paid what he is looking for here. With Hoffman in Florida, it is possible that they want to stay far away from here.

I don't think that's the big factor. It was heavily rumored we were Karlsson's preferred destination (and then Ottawa ****ed him one last time on the way out). I think the bigger thing is we have all our pieces more/less in place, and making room for Karlsson would require a pretty dramatic shake-up to a team that has a pretty good recipe in place. We're going to lose a few players as is. Acquiring Karlsson and we're talking 4-6 players on the way out? One or two of them with waived NTCs?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It would require so many moving pieces that I don't think it's realistic. Point could literally get double what we'd been anticipating and Gourde has a 5m contract kicking in. Neither of these things were part of the conversation last summer.

Yea its going to depend on a few things. Point being the biggest. Im anxiously waiting to see what that contract will look like. You have some people saying Mathews will affect the remaining RFAs. It could we just dont know. I think Ill keep the hope inside alive but be prepared for it to go the other way too.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I don’t know. I don’t think he’d get paid what he is looking for here. With Hoffman in Florida, it is possible that they want to stay far away from here.

He won't get an earth shattering deal here in Tampa, but he would still do pretty good for himself with most of it signing bonus (similar to how we structure the deals to minimize taxes as much as possible).

Hoffman is 4hrs away, he's not a factor.

Reactions: JAY7791

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I don’t know, Hoffman’s girl was a

psycho female blowing up the phone lines
If they moved here they’d be close enough for a day drive
They’ll move here with any luck
But Karlsson wants to make the big bucks bucks

Sorry

Ad

Upcoming events