2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
It's not about being "up" or "down" on Stralman. But Dmen tend to age rapidly. 4 years he would be 36/37 by the end of his contract. Not a ton of Dmen are still good at that age. Now I think Stralman is going to age better than most, but you still don't want to commit too long just in case he doesn't.
just basically crunching numbers because I for one believe karlsson is coming. So its gonna get tight a bit ... so if he would give us a sweetheart deal which i dont believe he would haha but got to ask:) id give the extra time gladly to keep an extra guy not move an extra guy so to speak... we know if karlsson comes 2 got to go.... i dont want three if possible unless got others coming. I am ok with the kids think we got a lot of talent basically ready....> so will just trust the management and hope for best :)

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I honestly think it makes more sense to just plan for a future without Stralman.

Go with Hedman-Cernak, McDonagh-Sergachev as your top 4. One of Foote or Masin can slot in the #5/#6. Leaves one opening on the bottom pair that you can likely get cheaper than Stralman.

I don't want any part of him over 35.

Now if you can get him for 2 years at like 3M per, go on ahead.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I honestly think it makes more sense to just plan for a future without Stralman.

Go with Hedman-Cernak, McDonagh-Sergachev as your top 4. One of Foote or Masin can slot in the #5/#6. Leaves one opening on the bottom pair that you can likely get cheaper than Stralman.

I don't want any part of him over 35.

Now if you can get him for 2 years at like 3M per, go on ahead.
the only thing is stralman has been our solid pk guy for years now and I see no tail off myself

also his family and he loves it here so think he stays and we work out a deal if wasnt the family man he is and them wanting probably desperately imho to stay here? id say he was gone cause of the numbers or our cap situation. I dont feel that though I got him signed for sure.... so then you got to hope is super friendly deal so can hold onto as much as possible...

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'd personally like to see a Hedman-Sergachev for a few games.

Weirdly enough, I'd rather see McDonagh-Sergachev. Heddy and Sergy would be putting two very similar style players - creatively offensive types - in the same pair. There's a reason why Burns and EK aren't on the same pair for the Sharks despite the tempting handedness match of Norris trophy winners. Hedman does best when he has a more defensively minded partner to hold the fort while he roams the ice and burns villages. I think Sergachev would be the same. He's done well with either Strålman or Coburn - both defensively minded d-men.

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
If we could trade both Callahan and Miller this summer it would open up some well needed capspace.

Just thinking out loud: The one to resign summer 19 is: Point. To resign at least one of Stralman or Coburn would be nice. Then there's also Martel. But the big problem is next summer when Cirelli, Joseph, Serg, Cernak and Vasy need to be resigned.

Next summer the 1.833 m buyout of Carle comes of the cap, but that's not much.

How about trying to trade Miller this summer and try to send Callahan back to NYR. Maybe even include Serg to NYR and get some prospect or good draftpick in return. I know Serg is great, but we need to get rid of Callahans contract and the 2020 summer headake will be a lot easier to handle if we only would have to resign Cirelli, Joseph and Vasy. We still have Hedman, Mac, Cernak, Foote, Masin and hopefully either Stralman, Coburn or EK on D and that's more than we can protect in the expansiondraft.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Cirelli and Joseph won't require big raises, especially Joseph. Serge has probably done us a favor by slowing down. I really hope the team doesn't plan to offer Vasy an anchor contract.

He's great. One of the best in the league. But look how Domingue has played in front of this team. I just can't justify paying a goalie 8+. Goalie is such a crapshoot position. Bob has two Vezinas and he's been pretty bad this year.

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
Cirelli and Joseph won't require big raises, especially Joseph. Serge has probably done us a favor by slowing down. I really hope the team doesn't plan to offer Vasy an anchor contract.

He's great. One of the best in the league. But look how Domingue has played in front of this team. I just can't justify paying a goalie 8+. Goalie is such a crapshoot position. Bob has two Vezinas and he's been pretty bad this year.

True about Cirelli and Joseph, but they still want raises and there’s not much room for that.

Also true about goalies, but when you have a good goalie you’d like to hold on to him.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
True about Cirelli and Joseph, but they still want raises and there’s not much room for that.

Also true about goalies, but when you have a good goalie you’d like to hold on to him.
For sure. I'm not at all trying to say we should just let him go, but I see Bob wanting 8+ and Price making his ridiculous money and it just makes me wonder where Vasy is at and how the team sees him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we could trade both Callahan and Miller this summer it would open up some well needed capspace.

Just thinking out loud: The one to resign summer 19 is: Point. To resign at least one of Stralman or Coburn would be nice. Then there's also Martel. But the big problem is next summer when Cirelli, Joseph, Serg, Cernak and Vasy need to be resigned.

Next summer the 1.833 m buyout of Carle comes of the cap, but that's not much.

How about trying to trade Miller this summer and try to send Callahan back to NYR. Maybe even include Serg to NYR and get some prospect or good draftpick in return. I know Serg is great, but we need to get rid of Callahans contract and the 2020 summer headake will be a lot easier to handle if we only would have to resign Cirelli, Joseph and Vasy. We still have Hedman, Mac, Cernak, Foote, Masin and hopefully either Stralman, Coburn or EK on D and that's more than we can protect in the expansiondraft.

You did not just say that. I feel like you're 3 NYR fan children dressed in one giant TB trench coat.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Miller has a modified NTC his entire deal. Killorn turns to a modified in 20-21. Palat and Johnson are modified in 21-22. Gourde 22-23. So if we can get Callahan off full cap this year, we can keep Miller unless we get a great deal for him. The following year we can try to move Miller again or Killorn. The next year Johnson or Palat then Gourde the year after. We have some flexibility with moving players, it's just this year getting Callahan off for Point.

The bad news is Stamkos has a NMC his entire deal so we are stuck with him forever. But they might add another compliance buyout in the next expansion so we have some hope still.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Maybe a dumb question. Does anybody live around Milwaukee (Greenfield to be exact) who knows what bars may show lightning games on a regular basis and is there a distant thunder contingent in Milwaukee? My daughter moved to Milwaukee last year and is looking to join the ranks of distant thunder.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Maybe a dumb question. Does anybody live around Milwaukee (Greenfield to be exact) who knows what bars may show lightning games on a regular basis and is there a distant thunder contingent in Milwaukee? My daughter moved to Milwaukee last year and is looking to join the ranks of distant thunder.
Should post this to the Tampa Bay Lightning subreddit as well

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Steny's in Walker's Point is the best hockey bar in the area. Wear your favorite team's gear and get a free shot when they score.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I havent been able to watch as diligently as I have in the past - what is going on?

Seems we've played about .500 for the past month. We've been losing to "good" teams. Our secondary scoring has gone away. Are we getting continuously out shot as well?

I'm reading the whole "coasting till April" thing and it makes me scratch my head. How is that a good strategy?

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I havent been able to watch as diligently as I have in the past - what is going on?

Seems we've played about .500 for the past month. We've been losing to "good" teams. Our secondary scoring has gone away. Are we getting continuously out shot as well?

I'm reading the whole "coasting till April" thing and it makes me scratch my head. How is that a good strategy?
We're 6-3-1 in our last 10. Also "coasting" for the 2nd half of the season did work last year too.

Reactions: The Macho Man

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

My eyes can't roll hard enough.

Reactions: Zeus Bojangles

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ask a simple question - get a tough guy answer. I should have known better.
Ask a stupid question, get a sarcastic response.

I'm sorry we are only leading the division by 16 points and the league by 8. Its truly a tough time to be a Lightning fan.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Ask a stupid question, get a sarcastic response.

I'm sorry we are only leading the division by 16 points and the league by 8. Its truly a tough time to be a Lightning fan.
I said I havent been able to watch very much but from what I've gathered our play has not been great over the past month. That's why i asked what is going on.

Is that a stupid question?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The two weeks off added a ton of rust. There really isn't any urgency to get back into top form either, it's only Feb 6.

Things will pick up in March when we get to play teams fighting for playoffs spots regularly.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i dont see us playing like crap at all just not up to top gear yet its coming at times it came have to do better at getting pucks to net then last night but again sooo many chances esp on power plays its a game of inches..... as far as the rest of it .... sergachev made a HUGE error last night his head have no idea what he was thinking if I was coach he woulda been offended for sure cause id have cut him down to shreds... so luckily we do have coop to handle things. You got to take that guy out and not make vasy play like hasek is no reason for that even with 2 minutes left you take the penalty but that guy does not get off one shot much less 3 smdh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->