2018-2019 Fantasy Hockey

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
I have no openings to offer you, but I strongly recommend joining a 31 team dynasty league. Worth the $ and will surely ruin your life!

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
I play in 3 leagues with complete strangers. As long as its a pay-to-play league and a GroupMe groupchat, you'll get to know them.

Reactions: mantha39

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hey guys just bumping this to see if there'd be any interest in a keeper league among the guys on this board? Trying to be more involved with HFWings again. Most of my hockey interest goes with fantasy so I want to try and tie the two together, plus I think some of you guys are pretty knowledgeable and thought it would be a competitive and fun challenge to see how we all stack up.

I am pretty open to roster and scoring settings. I find the more detailed the better, as it really gives you room to implement strategy, but welcome any and all input and I think the more the merrier!

Just post in this thread or PM me if you have interest in joining up or helping me set something up.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't post on here much but I would be interested. Haven't played in years now that all my old group has gotten older and given it up, but I'd be interested in playing.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Some questions that need answered:

ESPN vs Yahoo vs Fantrax vs other platform ?

How many owners are we gunning for? I would think 8-12 would be realistic for year 1

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
me too, but i have only ever player fantasy football

Well I haven't done fantasy hockey in years, so I also need a crash course, that's for sure. So any newbies to it, fear not, you'll be among company.

We'll need to start hammering out some details. I'm not sure how most keeper leagues score and set roster limits. My fantasy hockey experience felt mostly like finding the flavor of the week scorer off waivers rather than establishing a long-term plan with young players and prospects.

I remember pims and hits both being a controversial stat to count. I kind of liked the idea of hits being something, as it makes the roster a little more rounded?

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Anyone object to a yahoo league?

My preference would be weekly head to head match ups

I also like tracking things like faceoff wins + losses, block shots, etc.

Scoring settings for the league that I currently run:

Skater
Goals (G)
Assists (A)
Plus/Minus (+/-)
Power Play Points (PPP)
Short Handed Points (SHP)
Faceoffs Won (FOW)
Faceoffs Lost (FOL)
Hat Tricks (HAT)
Shots on Goal (SOG)
Blocked Shots (BLK)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goaltender
Wins (W)
Losses (L)
Shots Against (SA)
Goals Against (GA)
Saves (SV)
Shutouts (SO)
Overtime Losses (OTL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am very open to restructuring any current settings above as well as adding or subtracting some categories, if enough people weigh in. For example, my setting of blocks being 0.6 points has gotten a lot of criticism. Every couple of seasons some slug of a D will put up 200+ blocks and end up with a better total score than a dynamic puck mover. A couple of seasons ago it was Beauchemin an he had a better season total than Klingberg, it happens but in general it gives more value to all D, so that they aren't ignored for the first couple of rounds in the draft. All positions are catered to as best as I could make it.

I would prefer to add things like hits in the HFWings league, personally. I know there is an argument against hits and blocks as it usually indicates a player is chasing the puck rather than doing anything productive, but it gives some depth guys a bit more value and lets you strategize a bit differently.

Reactions: Perfect Human

Sards

Sep 27, 2013
I also don’t post often (or almost at all) but would be interested.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Another fun add-on I've experienced in some leagues is making a certain number of roster spots necessary for "prospect" players

For example, in one league I play in, every team must carry 5 "prospect" players

prospects are players who were drafted within the last 3 drafts (2016, 2017, 2018 drafts) and have less than 50 total NHL games played prior to the season according to the rules of that league.

A guy like Cholowski is a great player to have in that sense. He started out being a good player to have in general, and still is, but even when he inevitably cools off, having him fill one of the five spots for prospects is hugely advantageous. He was a guy no one really had their eye on because Detroit is slow to work in their young guys historically, but he is in his last year of prospect eligibility in that league (2016 draft) and is playing pretty big minutes in the NHL.

Another element to that strategy is valuing high potential, high pedigree players even if they aren't in the NHL. For example, in that league I have Bouchard and Boqvist as propsects, and even though they are both playing for London in the OHL, guys are messaging me all the time asking about their availability in trades. Because they still have next season or the year after (if they don't play 50 NHL games next season) as prospects. And they are the types of D who will likely be sharing some 5v4 ice with McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, DeBrincat, etc.

In that league we do 10 regular NHLer keepers + 5 "prospect" keepers. We could do something similar, I'm thinking something like 8 NHL regulars + 3 prospects keepers, if that is something you guys are into.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know enough to have any input on scoring, but Yahoo works for me as well.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I am in a very deep league:
12 teams, H2H points

Starters:
3F, 2LW, 2LR, 2C, 4D, 1 Util, 2GA

Bench: 8, 1 IR

4 Goalies max on active roster

Skater
Goals (G)
Assists (A)
Plus/Minus (+/-)