2018-2019 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ikonen is injured, so not really a lock (would have been a lock if not injured).
I have him as a lock as hes clearly among their best players offensively in a team that will struggle to score. He scored 9 points last years in all U20 games. As long as he makes it back in time, he will play as they likely will pick him and gamble that he is ready even if he shows he is rusty. The worst that can go is if he aint ready and they sit him or play him on the 4th line. No big deal. But I dont believe he will be rusty. Altho he may not have played much, he will have lots of energy, alot more than had he played all season. Will see tho.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I would have said at the start of the season i was thinking Brook wouldn't be a lock but i expect him to make the team. With his start to the season and seeing how valuable he is to the Warriors I would say he will be lock.
Primeau should also be a lock but maybe not for the starting job.
Ikonen may not be healthy to play and may not be a lock because of his injury status. I wouldn't want to rush him just to play in the tournament.
Primeau certainly is a lock for the starter role unless he has a bad year (same for all prospects).

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Undrafted. Only 13 points in his D+2 season (I believe). I would say hes not any good.

He was invited to team Canada's summer camp, so I assume he is at least good, why would they invite bad players?

He was also invited to play in the Russia versus Q series.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He was invited to team Canada's summer camp, so I assume he is at least good, why would they invite bad players?

He was also invited to play in the Russia versus Q series.
I dont see any nhl potential is what I meant.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just got done watching Hillis vs Suzuki from yesterday. I don't know why Hillis is struggling so badly, after today just 1 pt in the last 7 games. He was at center on the 2nd line and I thought he looked good. He seems to be skating better and looks quicker. The one thing is maybe his confidence is rattled and along with being his 2nd season since he was a rookie last year. There was one play where he gets a pass in close on the goalie and he moves to the side and passes it. It was a nice pass just made me think if he had more confidence he would have just shot it.

He played in all situations, and his team while they didn't look very good vs OS, they seem to be pretty decent as the tv guys were saying they think they will turn it on as the season goes on and be one of the better teams in the OHL. It was my first time seeing him this year.

Suzuki was impressive as to be expected. He had 2 assists but they took one away after the game it looks like. He also hit the post early in the 1st, had a few passes that set up his teammates really well but they couldn't convert. Another time he was in a great spot to shoot on a 2 on 1 but his former linemate (they broke them up for this game) already had 2 goals so when he passed it to him instead of shooting I thought I bet he was trying to get him a hattrick but he was in the better position.

They talked about how he has the chance to end up after this season to have the most goals/points in Owen Sounds history as Bobby Ryan leads with 325 pts.

Our draft really isn’t looking as good as I was hoping off the bat. But the big four, Kotka, Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook all look tremendous- just it seems there might be a major drop off after that. But those 4 are legit grade A prospects right now (obviously Kotka is in the league but only 7 games).

It's just way too early the big 4 do look good so far. But Poehling has faced 2 of the worst teams in the NCAA so his schedule is going to get a good bit tougher, not that he won't produce as he shouldn't have any trouble getting over a ppg as his line from last year is back with Jackson and Brodzinski.

I've been working on my top 20 list and after those 4 I was having a hard time as to who to put next since the Finnish league change there streaming provider so after watching Ikonen last year I won't get to see Ylonen. I think Primeau is going to be hard pressed to repeat last year's numbers which were just insane. Fleury I like but want to see how he handles his defensive game in the AHL.

Harris has impressed me so far and I'll get to see a ton of him. Olofsson so far so good, not sold on his offensive upside but he's big, skates well, good speed, good in his own end. Romanov is holding his own, I have a real hard time with him though, you can see he wants to jump in the offensive zone but he just hasn't done much at all offensively other then a few shots. He's got a decent physical game and I've been impressed at how mistake free he's playing especially on his off side.

Hillis struggling to produce, I'm not a big fan of McShane's skating and guys that don't move their feet and coast a lot I worry about. Same with Houde. Evans has looked good so far, Vejdemo hasn't really impressed. Sklenicka has looked good, he's certainly in my top 20, maybe top 15. I liked what i saw from Fonstad in the playoffs last year although still not sure what his NHL upside is.

Then you have the injured guys, Ikonen I liked last year in the few games I saw, he's certainly got some skill but smallish and needs a lot of work with the physical tools of speed, strength, size. Tyzska was a guy I thought was going to have a big year, like him a good bit if he can get his defensive game going but being out sucks. Hopefully Walford takes a nice step forward. out of the undrafted guys, Teasdale I like his speed and so far even though it's only one game I liked Verbeek. Guys with top speed are certainly going to get more of a shot at the NHL with the way it's trending on speed. Gorniak is another one, good speed and he's got jam to his game for sure.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Just got done watching Hillis vs Suzuki from yesterday. I don't know why Hillis is struggling so badly, after today just 1 pt in the last 7 games. He was at center on the 2nd line and I thought he looked good. He seems to be skating better and looks quicker. The one thing is maybe his confidence is rattled and along with being his 2nd season since he was a rookie last year. There was one play where he gets a pass in close on the goalie and he moves to the side and passes it. It was a nice pass just made me think if he had more confidence he would have just shot it.

He played in all situations, and his team while they didn't look very good vs OS, they seem to be pretty decent as the tv guys were saying they think they will turn it on as the season goes on and be one of the better teams in the OHL. It was my first time seeing him this year.

Suzuki was impressive as to be expected. He had 2 assists but they took one away after the game it looks like. He also hit the post early in the 1st, had a few passes that set up his teammates really well but they couldn't convert. Another time he was in a great spot to shoot on a 2 on 1 but his former linemate (they broke them up for this game) already had 2 goals so when he passed it to him instead of shooting I thought I bet he was trying to get him a hattrick but he was in the better position.

They talked about how he has the chance to end up after this season to have the most goals/points in Owen Sounds history as Bobby Ryan leads with 325 pts.

It's just way too early the big 4 do look good so far. But Poehling has faced 2 of the worst teams in the NCAA so his schedule is going to get a good bit tougher, not that he won't produce as he shouldn't have any trouble getting over a ppg as his line from last year is back with Jackson and Brodzinski.

I've been working on my top 20 list and after those 4 I was having a hard time as to who to put next since the Finnish league change there streaming provider so after watching Ikonen last year I won't get to see Ylonen. I think Primeau is going to be hard pressed to repeat last year's numbers which were just insane. Fleury I like but want to see how he handles his defensive game in the AHL.

Harris has impressed me so far and I'll get to see a ton of him. Olofsson so far so good, not sold on his offensive upside but he's big, skates well, good speed, good in his own end. Romanov is holding his own, I have a real hard time with him though, you can see he wants to jump in the offensive zone but he just hasn't done much at all offensively other then a few shots. He's got a decent physical game and I've been impressed at how mistake free he's playing especially on his off side.

Hillis struggling to produce, I'm not a big fan of McShane's skating and guys that don't move their feet and coast a lot I worry about. Same with Houde. Evans has looked good so far, Vejdemo hasn't really impressed. Sklenicka has looked good, he's certainly in my top 20, maybe top 15. I liked what i saw from Fonstad in the playoffs last year although still not sure what his NHL upside is.

Then you have the injured guys, Ikonen I liked last year in the few games I saw, he's certainly got some skill but smallish and needs a lot of work with the physical tools of speed, strength, size. Tyzska was a guy I thought was going to have a big year, like him a good bit if he can get his defensive game going but being out sucks. Hopefully Walford takes a nice step forward. out of the undrafted guys, Teasdale I like his speed and so far even though it's only one game I liked Verbeek. Guys with top speed are certainly going to get more of a shot at the NHL with the way it's trending on speed. Gorniak is another one, good speed and he's got jam to his game for sure.

I really hope Houde can improve that. His highlights are really impressive. His hands are nifty as hell. It's weird I thought the scouting report on him when he was drafted was that he was hard-working but unskilled lol. Now he's the exact opposite unless I remember incorrectly. Sucks about McShane too. He's a fun player.

Do you think Olofsson switching to wing could help with his offence? His highlights last year showed he has a good shot. You'd have to think with our log jam at C (seems like there could be anyways) that he might be better served on the wing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really hope Houde can improve that. His highlights are really impressive. His hands are nifty as hell. It's weird I thought the scouting report on him when he was drafted was that he was hard-working but unskilled lol. Now he's the exact opposite unless I remember incorrectly. Sucks about McShane too. He's a fun player.

Do you think Olofsson switching to wing could help with his offence? His highlights last year showed he has a good shot. You'd have to think with our log jam at C (seems like there could be anyways) that he might be better served on the wing.

well Houde was a top pick in the Q draft so he clearly has skill although to be honest I don't know much about him and haven't really followed the Q the past few years. He's shown some good passes but we'll see what kind of season he has. So far he had 2 big games where he put up 5 pts, the rest of the time he's got 7 pts in 11 games. So 6 of his 13 game he's been held scoreless. If he finds more consistency and say puts up 80ish points that will show a lot.

McShane is certainly skilled, has the shot and passing that you want to see. If he can work on his skating, bulk up, get stronger, work harder then they could really have something there.

Olofsson I'll have a better read on as the season goes on since I should get to see a lot of him. He looks like a center though and might be what we hoped DLR would have been as clearly he's got more offense to him. Plus he looks like he shouldn't have much trouble making the NHL in time, he's already got the physical tools (size, skating, speed, strength) so with his offensive game and solid defensive game he should be there at some point just a matter of how much will his offensive game evolve in a few years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just got around to watching Stapley vs Koberstein from Saturday night. wow was that boring until the last 2 minutes of the game where DU was down by 2 and pulled their goalie and tied it.

Stapley was held pointless but up until the final 2 minutes of the game, I would have said his line was likely the best and he had a lot of chances either with shots or passes in prime scoring areas that his linemates just didn't convert. He had one play where he had the puck on his backhand and when he moved it to his forehand it slid off his stick. He was right on top of the goalie, but his linemate gets the puck and fires it off the post.

He was playing center all night but seemed to have his ice time go up as the game went on especially in the 3rd. He's fast, good skater, not big or strong but seems to have good hands. He is a regular on the 2nd PP as i've seen him a few times now. He looks like he will put up some points, hopefully around 30 as he's an older Freshman and in a good spot on a young team that while they are a top program they are in tough when you lose guys like Borgstrom, Terry, etc... and they have the youngest coach in the NCAA at 28 years old.

Koberstein was his usual physical self, took a penalty for elbowing a kid along the boards, but he's big and the kid was smaller so i don't think he meant it as he didn't seem to have any clue it was called on him. That said he's on such a bad team and seems like a long shot to get a contract. Likely the last time I will see him play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Fonstad with no points last night in a 3-0 win against Everett. No shots either and bad night in the face-off circle going 4/12 (33%).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
:habs

HABS PROSPECTS WATCH
15/10/2018 - 21/10/2018

EUROPE THIS WEEK
Alexander Romanov (3GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Jesse Ylönen (1GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Jacob Olofsson (2GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Season Stats
PLAYERTEAMGPGAPTS
Alexander RomanovCSKA Moscow (KHL)20011
Jesse YlönenPelicans (Liiga)14303
Jacob OlofssonTimra IK (SHL)8044
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CHL THIS WEEK
Cameron Hillis (3GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Allan McShane (1GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Nick Suzuki (3GP - 4G - 4A - 8 PTS)
Samuel Houde (3GP - 1G - 3A - 4 PTS)
Joël Teasdale (3GP - 2G - 2A - 4 PTS)
Cole Fonstad (2GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Josh Brook (0 GP - One game suspension + one game due to illness)
Scott Walford (3GP - 0G - 1A - 1 PTS)
Season Stats
PLAYER
TEAM
GP
G
A
PTS
Cameron Hillis​
Guelph Storm (OHL)​
12​
1​
3​
4​
Allan McShane​
Oshawa Generals (OHL)​
9​
3​
5​
8​
Nick Suzuki​
Owen Sound Attack (OHL)​
10​
7​
9​
16​
Samuel Houde​
Chicoutimi Sagunéens (QMJHL)​
13​
5​
7​
12​
Joël Teasdale​
Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL)​
12​
5​
8​
13​
Cole Fonstad​
Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)​
14​
5​
6​
11​
Josh Brook​
Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)​
7​
4​
7​
11​
Scott Walford​
Victoria Royals (WHL)​
9​
0​
4​
4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

COLLEGE THIS WEEK
Ryan Poehling (2GP - 1G -2A - 3 PTS)
Jack Gorniak (2GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Jordan Harris (1GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Brett Stapley (2GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Nikolas Koberstein (2GP - 0G - 0 PTS)
Arvid Henrikson (2GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Cayden Primeau (2GP - 0W - 2L)
Season Stats
PLAYER
TEAM
GP
G
A
PTS
Ryan Poehling​
St. Cloud State Univ. (NCAA - NCHC)​
4​
1​
4​
5​
Jack Gorniak​
Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA - Big Ten)​
4​
0​
1​
1​
Jordan Harris​
Northeastern Univ. (NCAA - Hockey East)​
4​
1​
2​
3​
Brett Stapley​
Denver University (NCAA - NCHC)​
4​
1​
2​
3​
Nikolas Koberstein​
Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA - WCHC)​
6​
0​
0​
0​
Arvid Henrikson​
Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)​
7​
0​
0​
0​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PLAYER
TEAM
GP
RECORD
GAA
SV%
Cayden Primeau​
Northeastern Univ. (NCAA - Hockey East)​
4​
2-2-0​
2.26​
.920​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Maitz

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Fonstad vs. Brook will start in 15 minutes. After serving a game suspension and then missing another game due to illness, Brook is back in tonight.

1-0 for Prince Albert. Fonstad with an assist on the goal.

Fonstad with a second assist in the game. It is now 3-1 for Prince Albert.

It's 3-2 now and Brook with an assist on Moose Jaw's second goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Our prospects we drafted sucking right now

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events