2018-2019 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He scored 5 points in 7 games on the first line along Stallard and Miske which respectively got 8 & 10 points, I don't see how this is disproving my point. His small, his speed is close from average and his shot doesn't have much power in it, I would consider this has one having a limited skill set, it isn't surprising to me he ended up being a 5th rounder despite being PPG(one over) in the WHL in his draft year.

did you see the games?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I saw in the Memorial Cup thread some discussion about the LDs (Tyszka & Walford) the Habs haven't signed. They still have a bit of time so maybe they still do, but I think it's wise to be prudent with those signatures. There are a lot of LD floating around so I think it's smart if the Habs aren't sold on the 2 they drafted to hold off and use the signatures on guys they believe in.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I saw in the Memorial Cup thread some discussion about the LDs (Tyszka & Walford) the Habs haven't signed. They still have a bit of time so maybe they still do, but I think it's wise to be prudent with those signatures. There are a lot of LD floating around so I think it's smart if the Habs aren't sold on the 2 they drafted to hold off and use the signatures on guys they believe in.

I'd definitely sign Walford. He was great this season.

Tyszka I'm more unsure on.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Something of note about Fonstad... he's one of the most disciplined players in the WHL which is usually a very high PIM league. Fonstad has just 18 PIM in his last 2 seasons, and 34 PIM in 310 GP. (His whole WHL career)

To put that into perspective, our last forward prospect in the AHL, Matt Bradley had 200 PIM at the same age, or 488% more penalty minutes, and he was of a similar stature as Fonstad, but less gritty/physical. (didn't think it was fair to compare skilled forwards and tough defensemen when it came to PIM so I used Bradley as an example instead of Brook/Tyszka/Walford/Juulsen)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Something of note about Fonstad... he's one of the most disciplined players in the WHL which is usually a very high PIM league. Fonstad has just 18 PIM in his last 2 seasons, and 34 PIM in 310 GP. (His whole WHL career)

To put that into perspective, our last forward prospect in the AHL, Matt Bradley had 200 PIM at the same age, or 488% more penalty minutes, and he was of a similar stature as Fonstad, but less gritty/physical. (didn't think it was fair to compare skilled forwards and tough defensemen when it came to PIM so I used Bradley as an example instead of Brook/Tyszka/Walford/Juulsen)
I feel a little awkward disagreeing with you. You've watched him a lot more than I have and you definitely watch the WHL more than I do. But I have to say from what I've seen Fonstad looks so disciplined because he rarely engages and is usually on the perimeter. He has excellent speed and decent hands with a very good shot but this kid engages opponents less than Drouin. Maybe he is hurt like someone mentioned. I've only started watching him with the start of the playoffs and an undisclosed injury may explain his play.

Unless he ups his hockey IQ and learns to place himself in optimal positions where line mates can feed him, I don't see much of a pro career for him. He has excellent speed, good hands and a decent shot but I don't think that's enough. His positioning on the ice has been terrible every time I saw him, and he rarely engages opponents. I also don't like his defensive game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I feel a little awkward disagreeing with you. You've watched him a lot more than I have and you definitely watch the WHL more than I do. But I have to say from what I've seen Fonstad looks so disciplined because he rarely engages and is usually on the perimeter. He has excellent speed and decent hands with a very good shot but this kid engages opponents less than Drouin. Maybe he is hurt like someone mentioned. I've only started watching him with the start of the playoffs and an undisclosed injury may explain his play.

Unless he ups his hockey IQ and learns to place himself in optimal positions where line mates can feed him, I don't see much of a pro career for him. He has excellent speed, good hands and a decent shot but I don't think that's enough. His positioning on the ice has been terrible every time I saw him, and he rarely engages opponents. I also don't like his defensive game.

I'm such a highlight scout but there's something about his game I'm not too thrilled about. Can't really put my finger on it. I know some people are high on him but I just don't know. I'll defer to people who actually have seen him. Next year will be interesting. Maybe he'll engage more if he adds mass.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

That's what it is though. His style is on the perimeter. I'd rather that than he be like Shaw and take 3 retaliation penalties a game.

It's gonna be interesting to observe his physical situation as he goes pro. I think he'll be fine in the modern NHL.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA

I understand what you are saying, I see similar traits in what you describe. I would say his skating is really good, he can quickly turn and he's got good edge work but his speed is average at best. From what I've seen he's got good puck skills and may actually be a better trigger man than a playmaker. He's got serious upside but he needs to work on his speed/acceleration, lower body strength (which comes hand in hand with maturity and working out).

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#HabsProspects2018/2019

1) World Juniors MVP & World Juniors Best D & World Juniors Champion
2) OHL Champion
3) OHL MVP
4) QMJHL Champion
5) CHL Champion
6) Memorial Cup MVP
7) WHL Champion
8) Best Goalie in NCAA
9) KHL Champion
10) Ect Champion MVP Best

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#2018/2019BabyHabsProspectsStatistics(Clubs)

Michael McNiven (Laval Rocket): 30 Games (11 Win + 15 Losses + 2 T ) + 1619 Mins + 2 Shutouts + 628 Saves + 68 Goals Allowed + 90.2 % Save + 2.52 GAA
Cayden Primeau (Northeastern University): 36 Games (25 Wins + 10 Losses + 1 T) + 2129 Mins + 4 Shutouts + 1026 Saves + 1 PT (1 Assist) + 74 Goals Allowed +93.3 % Save + 2.09 GAA

Josh Brook (Moose Jaw Warriors/Laval Rocket): 70 Games + 79 PTS (16 Goals + 63 Assists) + 113 PIM
Cale Fleury (Laval Rocket): -16 + 60 Games + 23 PTS (9 Goals + 14 Assists) + 23 PIM
Jordan Harris (Northeastern University): +21 + 39 Games + 13 PTS (1 Goal + 12 Assists) + 8 PIM
Arvid Henrikson (Des Moines Buccaneers/Austin Bruins: -1 + 39 Games + 1 PT (1 Assist) + 30 PIM
Noah Juulsen (Montreal Canadiens/Laval Rocket): +4 +24 Games + 5 PTS (1 Goal + 4 Assists) + 6 PIM
Nikolas Koberstein (University of Alaska-Fairbanks/Kansas City Mavericks): 50 Games +12 PTS (1 Goal + 11 Assist) + 86 PIM
Brett Lernout (Laval Rocket): +3 + 74 Games + 9 PTS (3 Goals + 6 Assists) + 41 PIM
Otto Leskinen (KalPa Kuopio): -17 + 57 Games + 31 PTS (8 Goals + 23 Assists) + 34 PIM
Victor Mete (Montreal Canadiens/Laval Rocket): +19 + 78 Games + 17 PTS (1 Goal + 16 Assists) + 6 PIM
David Sklenicka (Laval Rocket): +3 +68 Games + 9 PTS (3 Goals + 6 Assists) + 5o PIM
Alexander Romanov (CSKA Moscow): 47 Games + 4 PTS (1 Goal + 3 Assists) + 28 PIM
Jarret Tyszka (Seattle Thunderbirds): 47 Games + 35 PTS (8 Goals + 27 Assists) + 38 PIM
Scott Walford (Victoria Royals): 72 Games +54 PTS (9 Goals +45 Assists) + 78 PIM

Alexandre Alain (Laval Rocket): -6 + 72 Games + 28 PTS (8 Goals +20 Assists) + 38 PIM
Daniel Audette (Laval Rocket): -3 + 71 Games + 39 PTS (14 Goals + 15 Assists) + 53 PIM
Cole Fonstad (Prince Albert Raiders): 88 Games + 79 PTS (31 Goals + 48 Assists) + 20 PIM
Jake Evans (Laval Rocket): -11 + 67 Games + 45 PTS (13 Goals + 32 Assists) + 26 PIM
Jack Gorniak (University of Wisconsin): -8 + 37 Games + 15 PTS (4 Goals +11 Assists) + 16 PIM
Cam Hillis (Guelph Storm): 35 Games + 22 PTS (10 Goals + 12 Assists) + 29 PIM
Samuel Houde (Chicoutimi Sagueneens): 68 Games + 46 PTS (16 Goals + 30 Assists)+ 38 PIM
Joni Ikonen (KalPa Kuopio): -3 + 13 Games + 10 PTS (5 Goals + 5 Assists) + 6 PIM
Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Montreal Canadiens): +1 79 Games + 34 PTS + (11 Goals + 23 Assists) + 26 PIM
Michael McCarron (Laval Rocket): 32 Games + 21 PTS (7 Goals + 14 Assists) + 46 PIM
Allan McShane (Oshawa Generals): 77 Games + 83 PTS (39 Goals +44 Assists) + 20 PIM
Jacob Olofsson (Timra IK): -14 + 34 Games + 9 PTS (3 Goals + 6 Assists) + 2 PIM
Michael Pezzetta (Laval Rocket): -13 + 55 Games + 10 PTS (6 Goals + 4 Assists) + 77 PIM
Ryan Poehling (St Cloud State/Montreal Canadiens): +15 + 37 Games + 34 PTS (11 Goals + 23 Assists)
Brett Stapley (University of Denver): +5 + 32 Games + 19 PTS (5 Goals + 14 Assists) + 35 PIM
Hunter Shinkaruk (Laval Rocket): +1 + 54 Games + 10 PTS (5 Goals + 5 Assists) + 20 PIM
Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound/Guelph Storm): 83 Games + 136 PTS (50 Goals + 86 Assists) + 56 PIM
Joel Teasdale (Blainville-Boisbriand Armada/Rouyn-Noranda Huskies): 86 Games + 114 PTS (57 Goals + 57 Assists) + 60 PIM
Lukas Vejdemo (Laval Rocket): +5 + 66 Games + 29 PTS (13 Goals +16 Assists) + 18 PIM
Hayden Verbeek (Laval Rocket): -5 + 48 Games + 7 PTS (4 Goals + 3 Assists) + 17 PIM
Antoine Waked (Laval Rocket/Maine Mariners): -1 + 34 Games + 9 PTS (3 Goals + 6 Assist) + 32 PIM
Jesse Ylonen (Pelicans): 56 Games + 28 PTS (13 Goals + 15 Assists) + 8 PIM

PPG: Josh Brook/Allan McShane/Nick Suzuki/Joel Teasdale

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
D7wwGi-XoAETTp8.jpg

Suzuki named to the OHL Third All-Star Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad