2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think this was after year 1. Hawks waited until his value skyrocketed in year 2, and the 6x2 deal was done late in year 2 as a discount to keep playing with Kane.

Then Bowman flipped him.

Right, summer of 16 the rumor was 6x6. Didn’t happen and eventually 6x2 was signed like Feb of 17.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The only thing I can find is a bunch of articles linking to a Chris Kuc article in the Tribune where it says 'A source said the rookie of the year is seeking a six-year deal worth more than $6 million per season'.

I mean, if he was looking for 6.5x6 and the Blackhawks said 'no, 6x2' then they're idiots. If 'more than 6' means a lot more, then that changes things.

I couldn't find anything other than the Kuc stuff.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The only thing I can find is a bunch of articles linking to a Chris Kuc article in the Tribune where it says 'A source said the rookie of the year is seeking a six-year deal worth more than $6 million per season'.

I mean, if he was looking for 6.5x6 and the Blackhawks said 'no, 6x2' then they're idiots. If 'more than 6' means a lot more, then that changes things.

What’s the date on those articles? I’m pretty sure the 6x6 ask came after his first year and the Hawks didn’t take it.

Then his value climbed from that point, logically his agent pulled 6x6 off the table, and the best Bowman could do at that point was two years at $6 million. (That’s my speculation, not based on reports)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It would seem logical that a team only really get a potential long term discount when a deal is struck with a lot of risk and uncertainty.

At the time people thought Panarin might not be a 7-8m player without Kane. That has proven to be false, that uncertainty is gone so nobody will pay less than fair value. With Schmaltz the uncertainty is there because of age and experience in NHL, but thats how you get long term value.

Its sort of like investing in stocks imo. By the time the uncertainty is gone the stock is up 20% and reflects that and you lost your opportunity. By the time Schmaltz looks like a $6m+ player because he has more experience and multiple productive years then he might be worth $7m+. Who knows.

By the time people realized Chris Sale arm wasn’t going to fall off they realized the White Sox robbed him of so much money.

Unless a player wants to gift a discount then there really is no way around this dilemma.

That risk is compensated for with the potential to underpay someone over a 6-8 year deal.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

migi

Feb 25, 2015
$79.5m or $80m or something between next cap. Goood.

”Bettman clarified cap number even further to somewhere between $79.5 to $80 million for next season, pending #NHLPA negotiation and approval.”

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This is a very good thing. Hawks have 10M with 18 players signed. Move Hossa's deal and we have 16M and get crazy and move AA's deal then we have around 21M. Then you move Rutta and we have close to 24 M.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is a very good thing. Hawks have 10M with 18 players signed. Move Hossa's deal and we have 16M and get crazy and move AA's deal then we have around 21M. Then you move Rutta and we have close to 24 M.

Move Crawford you have 30. Sign Tavares and Carlsson, trade for a goalie. Draft Tkachuk or Wahlstrom. Bottom the f*** out in a few years.

Edit: Actually, keep Crawford and trade Murphy. Give Jokijarju his spot.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
for some reason i can see the hawks in on phil kessel. Anisimov and 27th+? I dont know why but i think toews and kane expressed how much they liked kessels play before.

Saad-Toews-Kessel
Debrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hino-Hayden-Sikura
Edjsell-Kampf-Kahun
Martinson

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
for some reason i can see the hawks in on phil kessel. Anisimov and 27th+? I dont know why but i think toews and kane expressed how much they liked kessels play before.

Saad-Toews-Kessel
Debrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hino-Hayden-Sikura
Edjsell-Kampf-Kahun
Martinson

Kane said Kessel was the best player he had ever played with after the 2014 olympics.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kane said Kessel was the best player he had ever played with after the 2014 olympics.

That was the same year Toews picked Kessel first at the All-Star draft and said he did it because he was so coachable. Pretty much every player in the league was behind Kessel, who they felt was getting a raw deal from the local media (to levels beyond the expected norm of being a hockey player).

Sharp, at the same Olympics, said that Kessel was his favorite player, and that Kessel was the player he and Kane most loved watching during the season.

Which is not to say that Kane's comments are disingenuous. Kessel is a great player, and I'm sure Kane and the rest of them respect the hell out of his skills. I'm simply pointing out there's kind of special context involved.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If we can get Kessell at a retained rate you 100% do it.

Would do with no retained money if it meant no JvR and better acquisition cost. Hard to build a deal unless we give them a piece like Sikura.

They want to get the 1st back that they wasted on Reaves so Chicago can offer the 27th + Sikura + ?. They can do better so looks like not good trade partners.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I understand the reluctance of JvR, but I honestly think he is exactly what the Hawks need. A net front presence that can put the puck home on the PP. We have missed that element ever since Buff. I realize term and possibly money is the problem, but in the short term he is what we need.

I wouldn't do anymore than 5x6mil, but he probably doesn't go for that.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I understand the reluctance of JvR, but I honestly think he is exactly what the Hawks need. A net front presence that can put the puck home on the PP. We have missed that element ever since Buff. I realize term and possibly money is the problem, but in the short term he is what we need.

I wouldn't do anymore than 5x6mil, but he probably doesn't go for that.

Anisimov does that, especially when he plays with Kane. Granted, he’s not JVR, but he’s a hell of a lot cheaper and could provide better value when properly used.

If you can get JVR for the contract you suggested, it’s worth swapping Anisimov out for him. I just highly doubt JVR signs for anything close to that.

I think you’re almost right on your valuation of that role though, Hawks shouldn’t spend more than a $5 million AAV on it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Anisimov does that, especially when he plays with Kane. Granted, he’s not JVR, but he’s a hell of a lot cheaper and could provide better value when properly used.

If you can get JVR for the contract you suggested, it’s worth swapping Anisimov out for him. I just highly doubt JVR signs for anything close to that.

I think you’re almost right on your valuation of that role though, Hawks shouldn’t spend more than a $5 million AAV on it.
JvR is a much better option than Anisimov in that role. I wouldn't mind having both but putting JvR on the 1st unit, AA on the second.

But yeah, the money will talk.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I would change up out PP to the Caps system which technically does not have a guy out front.

This.

The whole 'net front presence' is going out of vogue. More and more teams are wisely leaving the goalie to peer around that guy instead of trying to move him and turn a simple screen into a moving double screen. Thus turning the PK into a functional 4-on-4 as far as coverage while the guy in front stands around holding his dick.

The Caps system, where they have one guy (Ovechkin) at the left circle, another guy in the high slot (Oshie), and a Dman with a shot at the right point (Carlson) is much more effective than having some lug stand in front of the net while the rest of the team predictably send the puck up to the points for shots in hopes it bounces the right way off somebody's ass.

It doesn't have to be that exact formation, but ideally you want three options at different ranges and a playmaker that can curve off the half-wall or behind the net to deliver the pass.

That's all moot if nobody is willing to move the puck quickly and move their feet, though. The PP cannot continue to be 'get the puck to Kane and stand around while he stands around stick-handling the puck in place while the clock runs down'. The other players on the ice have to move to give him options, and he has to move to create some options and draw coverage to create lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->