2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
For the first time in a long time the $1m difference will not make a huge difference for the Hawks, assuming they shed the Hossa contract. Hopefully $80m though.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I noticed today from main forum that @JaegerDice mentioned this:

Saad - Toews - Mark Stone

Goosh Stone would look good here but yeah, pipe dream and cost a lot. I’m just bored.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I noticed today from main forum that @JaegerDice mentioned this:

Saad - Toews - Mark Stone

Goosh Stone would look good here but yeah, pipe dream and cost a lot. I’m just bored.

Sort of hoping a guy like Wahlstrom becomes a Stone type player. Whats a realistic offer? 8th+27th+Hossa? Could make sense. Maybe offer them Seabrook first. They might actually do it at this point.

Saad-Toews-Stone
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hinostroza-Anisimov-Sikura

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
Schmaltz will make 6+mil by 19-20, and they Hawks will have the cap space to handle that cap hit in 18-19.

However, I agree Bowman wouldn’t make that trade, but for other reasons.

Hopefully Stan locks him up sooner than later because he’s one breakout year away from being a $7m+ player.

I just can't get there on Schmaltz being a $6m+ player by next year. He's 22 now and look at AAV, the only guys making that kind of coin that are in that age range are McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Ekblad, Gaudreau, Monahan, MacKinnon, Ehlers, and Forsberg. I don't know that Schmaltz is in the same class as those guys in terms of talent. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be in that class but unless he absolutely does break out to the tune of like 70 or 80 points, I see him more in the low to mid $4M range, just based on similar age and similar stats (or even if he gets to 60pts).

Although with the way the Hawks seem to overpay some guys lately, maybe he is a 6 or 7M guy...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I just can't get there on Schmaltz being a $6m+ player by next year. He's 22 now and look at AAV, the only guys making that kind of coin that are in that age range are McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Ekblad, Gaudreau, Monahan, MacKinnon, Ehlers, and Forsberg. I don't know that Schmaltz is in the same class as those guys in terms of talent. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be in that class but unless he absolutely does break out to the tune of like 70 or 80 points, I see him more in the low to mid $4M range, just based on similar age and similar stats (or even if he gets to 60pts).

Although with the way the Hawks seem to overpay some guys lately, maybe he is a 6 or 7M guy...

Most are making much more than 6 sheets.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If the Hawks give Schmaltz a 6x6 then its not an overpayment imo. He will easily be worth that AAV if he puts up 55-60 points and plays all situations. Even more merit to do it now because its going to look very fair if the cap is 85m by time it kicks in.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I think you’re off on your comparisons. If Saad got 6x6 deal a few years ago, Schmaltz can certainly get at least that now with the cap going up.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sort of hoping a guy like Wahlstrom becomes a Stone type player. Whats a realistic offer? 8th+27th+Hossa? Could make sense. Maybe offer them Seabrook first. They might actually do it at this point.

Saad-Toews-Stone
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hinostroza-Anisimov-Sikura

Is Stone better than DeBrincat? I know he’s like a foot taller, but does he help that line significantly more than DeBrincat would?

That’s a whole lot to give up if you’re not drastically improving a hole in your lineup.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I would agree that Schmaltz doesn't feel like a $6 mil player yet.

Panarin didn’t feel like a $6m player for many people on these boards until he was worth more and wouldn’t sign for 6 years. You either take the plunge and go for the deal early or you wait too long and they want more.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Panarin didn’t feel like a $6m player for many people on these boards until he was worth more and wouldn’t sign for 6 years. You either take the plunge and go for the deal early or you wait too long and they want more.

I don't think anybody here argued that Panarin wasn't worth 6mil or more, I think the argument was that he was an RFA and the Blackhawks should use the leverage they have to get him in at a contract they can afford to keep.

Ultimately they got him at a good deal, but didn't get any of his UFA years. So he got the benefit of being able to really cash in as early as possible. Which it sounds like Columbus is now having to deal with.

I look at Panarin and think the Kessel contract would be a good comparable. But the cap raise and the fact that McDavid essentially reset the standards for player contracts mean he's going to get more than that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't think anybody here argued that Panarin wasn't worth 6mil or more, I think the argument was that he was an RFA and the Blackhawks should use the leverage they have to get him in at a contract they can afford to keep.

Ultimately they got him at a good deal, but didn't get any of his UFA years. So he got the benefit of being able to really cash in as early as possible. Which it sounds like Columbus is now having to deal with.

There were a lot of people not ready to pay up to keep him. I personally was ready to give him the Tarasenko deal after a year and a half and people said that was ludacris. Go back and read the threads. People wanted a bridge deal. Better off paying a fair value deal early and locking up term versus not getting a deal done and potentially losing the player.

Last year was Schmaltz floor imo. Thats about a 5-6m player, so worst case he’s slightly overpaid if his growth is tapped out. Its not though. Quite a few nights he was the best player on the ice, especially to start the season, and was sort of derailed by the concussion.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
There were a lot of people not ready to pay up to keep him. I personally was ready to give him the Tarasenko deal after a year and a half and people said that was ludacris. Go back and read the threads. People wanted a bridge deal. Better off paying a fair value early and locking up term versus not getting a deal done and potentially losing the player imo.

I question whether Panarin would have taken only 1.5 more AAV for a full 8 years. There's a reason his current deal at 6 ends as soon as he's UFA eligible. 1.5 AAV more isn't going to buy you 6 more years worth of his UFA years.

He came to the NHL to cash in, I think the AAV would have had to have been significantly higher than Tarasenko to get him long-term.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I question whether Panarin would have taken only 1.5 more AAV for a full 8 years. There's a reason his current deal at 6 ends as soon as he's UFA eligible. 1.5 AAV more isn't going to buy you 6 more years worth of his UFA years.

He came to the NHL to cash in, I think the AAV would have had to have been significantly higher than Tarasenko to get him long-term.

Well, at the time it was rumored he and his agent proposed 6x6 iirc. He’d still be a Hawk if they gave him the same deal as Tank. They kind of couldn’t due to cap situation but that wasn’t really the argument made. People wanted to see another year or production like that, but its sort of the same deal as Schmaltz. You can wait but its a risk just like signing early is a risk.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Well, at the time it was rumored he and his agent proposed 6x6 iirc.

He got 6.

I can't imagine why the Blackhawks would be offered 6x6 and turn around to say 'how about 6x2?'. If you're fine with the AAV, then you want as many years under that AAV as possible.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He got 6.

I can't imagine why the Blackhawks would be offered 6x6 and turn around to say 'how about 6x2?'. If you're fine with the AAV, then you want as many years under that AAV as possible.

We’re sort of moving away from my original point. Hawks can wait but the price to re-sign Schmaltz will only go higher. That’s my opinion. He puts up 65-70 points next year then a long term extension will not be 5-5.5m per. If it is then Stan did an amazing job because that would be robbery.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The only thing I can find is a bunch of articles linking to a Chris Kuc article in the Tribune where it says 'A source said the rookie of the year is seeking a six-year deal worth more than $6 million per season'.

I mean, if he was looking for 6.5x6 and the Blackhawks said 'no, 6x2' then they're idiots. If 'more than 6' means a lot more, then that changes things.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
We’re sort of moving away from my original point. Hawks can wait but the price to re-sign Schmaltz will only go higher. That’s my opinion. He puts up 65-70 points next year then a long term extension will not be 5-5.5m per. If it is then Stan did an amazing job because that would be robbery.

I'm fine with Schmaltz at 6.

I wasn't awhile ago, but between McDavid's contract raising the bar and the cap likely to go up, everybody is going to get paid more. So give him 6mil and lock him in.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad