2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Did my Seattle team from Capfriendly...

Baertschi (VAN) - Stepan (ARI) - Kyrou (STL)
Paquette (TBL) - Soderberg (COL) - Bjork (BOS)
Hyman (TOR) - Lowry (WPG) - Hartman (NSH)
Helm (DET) - Bennett (CGY) - Ritchie (DAL)
Kahun (CHI)
Batherson (OTT)
Quenneville (NJ)

Brodin (MIN) - Montour (ANA)
Hickey (NYI) - Braun (SJS)
Oleksiak (PIT) - Pionk (NYR)
de Haan (CAR)
Scandella (BUF)
Forbort (LA)
Hagg (PHI)

Korpisalo (CBJ) - Samsonov (WSH)
Lindgren (MTL)

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Kahun (CHI)
Batherson (OTT)
Quenneville (NJ)

de Haan (CAR)
Scandella (BUF)
Forbort (LA)
Hagg (PHI)

Lindgren (MTL)

I looked into that, but it's way too much work going through and protecting players for every team lol.

Reactions: S E P H

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
New interview with Franzén aka the Mule. Stuff like this makes me angry that the Department of Player Safety is not doing more to protect the players: Johan Franzén: "My world can fall apart"

Someone on Twitter mentioned the weird disconnect hockey culture has when it comes to protection of players that simply doesn't exist in any other sport, anywhere. The NBA goes out of their way to protect their stars, it's no secret they get all the damned calls. The NFL has introduced absolutely ridiculous rules to protect quarterbacks after one superstar field general broke his collarbone on a routine sack play. The NHL? Nope. The stars just "gotta play through it." Not that I'm saying the league should adopt the insane standards other sports have, but come the f*** on...trying to enforce fake parity to an absurd degree is awful to watch on most nights.

They could enforce obstruction and cheap shots properly if they really, really wanted to.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Kahun (CHI)
Batherson (OTT)
Quenneville (NJ)

de Haan (CAR)
Scandella (BUF)
Forbort (LA)
Hagg (PHI)

Lindgren (MTL)

Post that on the main board and watch an ultimate STL fans meltdown. :laugh:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the Mild are done in the playoff race this year.

They've already been struggling for a while now, and with Dumba out for nearly the entire rest of the season, I think they'll fall out of the race by entirely by the end of January.

Wonder if they'll finally tier things down and rebuild from scratch. Suter, Koivu, Parise, Staal, and Dubnyk aren't getting any younger. Granlund hasn't really exploded into the player they had hoped. Coyle, Neiderreiter, Zucker, etc. haven't taken steps forward at all(In fact in Niederreiter's case he's regressed hard).

I think after years where the Central division was a blood bath and an arms race we're seeing a changing of the guards. Chicago, St. Louis, and Minny are on the way down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Post that on the main board and watch an ultimate STL fans meltdown. :laugh:
There were some teams who are going to lose some really good players like the Blues and Lightning (could have drafted McDonagh as I had them protecting Hedman, Foote, and Sergachev).

For the Blues I had them protecting Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schenn, Schwartz, Thomas, Steen (NTC), Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Edmundson with Allen as the goaler. That means their exposed list includes Perron, Maroon, Kyrou, Barbashev, and Dunn. That's a lose-lose if you were to tell me. If I were to change anything you can perhaps go with 8 players and 1 goaler switching Schenn with either Dunn or Kyrou, but I think they protect Dunn over him IMHO.

For us I did the 8 positions instead of 7-3-1, four forwards and four defenders: MacKinnon, Landeskog, Compher, and Rantanen. With Johnson (NMC), Zadorov, Barrie, Girard, and Grubauer on the back end.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone on Twitter mentioned the weird disconnect hockey culture has when it comes to protection of players that simply doesn't exist in any other sport, anywhere. The NBA goes out of their way to protect their stars, it's no secret they get all the damned calls. The NFL has introduced absolutely ridiculous rules to protect quarterbacks after one superstar field general broke his collarbone on a routine sack play. The NHL? Nope. The stars just "gotta play through it." Not that I'm saying the league should adopt the insane standards other sports have, but come the **** on...trying to enforce fake parity to an absurd degree is awful to watch on most nights.

They could enforce obstruction and cheap shots properly if they really, really wanted to.
It truly is ridiculous.

Players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Larkin, etc with so much speed and skill should be drawing at minimum 1-2 penalties per game. Especially McDavid. That guy gets hooked/held/obstructed more than any superstar player I can remember.

In other news, Nikita Kucherov has 9 points in 2 games and now leads the league in scoring. He passed MacKinnon on Saturday, and passed Rantanen today.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's at least warming my cold, dead heart to see the Wylde running aground and Devan Dubnyk close to full meltdown. Apparently Boudreau was so mad at him he wouldn't even look at him after he was pulled. Dubnyk made some very pointed remarks afterwards. Get me the popcorn!!!

Also, speaking of highly-touted forwards not meeting expectations, the Wylde also assigned Joel Eriksson Ek to Iowa.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's at least warming my cold, dead heart to see the Wylde running aground and Devan Dubnyk close to full meltdown. Apparently Boudreau was so mad at him he wouldn't even look at him after he was pulled. Dubnyk made some very pointed remarks afterwards. Get me the popcorn!!!

Also, speaking of highly-touted forwards not meeting expectations, the Wylde also assigned Joel Eriksson Ek to Iowa.
Nice.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh f*** YEAH! Fire up the Schadenfreude Bus because the Dallas Stars are on the tour as well!

Stars ownership, management goes on expletive-laden tirade...

“WTF”

That’s the text that Dallas Stars CEO Jim Lites says he gets five times per game from team owner Tom Gaglardi.
It happened again on Thursday night when he was watching the Stars’ 2-0 win against the Nashville Predators.
“He’s pissed,” Lites said on Friday afternoon. “And you know what it’s about.”

“They are f***ing horse-shit, I don’t know how else to put it,” Lites said. “The team was ok. But (Tyler) Seguin and (Jamie) Benn were terrible.”

The public frustration began during Thursday’s morning skate, when Stars coach Jim Montgomery told the team he was “f***ing embarrassed” with the team’s practice and where they were in the standings.

For those in the Stars offices, that starts with the captain and the player with more job security than anyone else in the franchise.

I thought Nill was in trouble going into this season. I think he's doomed now.

It's a shame because I really, really liked the very unconventional approach he took upon his arrival in Dallas, but at some point he lost his way.

Reactions: klozge and Avs_19

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

It's a shame because I really, really liked the very unconventional approach he took upon his arrival in Dallas, but at some point he lost his way.
He has made some great moves but Dallas has been an absolute trainwreck at the draft under him. Being so poor in drafting is going to sink any GM at some point.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Oh **** YEAH! Fire up the Schadenfreude Bus because the Dallas Stars are on the tour as well!

giphy.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol how the **** do you stay there if you're Seguin/Benn? Underperforming this season for sure, especially with the league wide increase in scoring but I wouldn't want to play for someone like that.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
He has made some great moves but Dallas has been an absolute trainwreck at the draft under him. Being so poor in drafting is going to sink any GM at some point.

It's so interesting how the Avs and Stars have handled themselves these last few years. Both were in very similar spots. Previous regimes had drafted poorly and made bad personnel decisions, leaving the new guy with the monumental, almost impossible task of turning it around with limited resources. The Avs ultimately decided to take it slow, whereas Nill and the Stars went for it. Even though they were division rivals I was totally rooting for the Stars to make it work because they were so very unconventional and said "f*** it" to playing boring, conservative, defensive hockey.

Then...they decided to play boring, conservative, defensive hockey.

I think hiring Hitchcock (not his fault specifically, just the principle of hiring a guy with a philosophy that runs so very counter to what you were going for) was where it all went sideways. I don't see them pulling it out anytime soon.

But yes, Nill seems to have failed at fixing their drafting, which eventually gets you in the end.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Unless I knew I was dogging it, hearing that from my (imaginary) boss would be me walking out immediately. If it went public? Fuuuuu....

Maybe Benn and Seguin need a wake-up call. That's not even the right area code.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh **** YEAH! Fire up the Schadenfreude Bus because the Dallas Stars are on the tour as well!

I'll tell you what, this scoring change in the NHL is going to be an adjustment period. The teams who are suffering right now are having melt downs. If your star isn't seeing a boost to scoring like the rest of the league it's nuclear time.

Look at how upside down the winning records are in the west right now. Avs & Nsh turning in 3-6-1 ten game stretches, Dallas 4-6, ANA 5-5, and all sitting in a playoff spot. Then you have CHI, EDM, LA, STL, turning in 5-3-2 type of stretches. Vancouver sits just outside the playoffs with a 7-2-1 last 10 lol. f***ing crazy town out West right now.

Lots of goals, and volatile goal-tending is going to make for a emotional roller coaster if this keeps up.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'll tell you what, this scoring change in the NHL is going to be an adjustment period. The teams who are suffering right now are having melt downs. If your star isn't seeing a boost to scoring like the rest of the league it's nuclear time.

Look at how upside down the winning records are in the west right now. Avs & Nsh turning in 3-6-1 ten game stretches, Dallas 4-6, ANA 5-5, and all sitting in a playoff spot. Then you have CHI, EDM, LA, STL, turning in 5-3-2 type of stretches. Vancouver sits just outside the playoffs with a 7-2-1 last 10 lol. ****ing crazy town out West right now.

Lots of goals, and volatile goal-tending is going to make for a emotional roller coaster if this keeps up.

Woops

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I find it funny (but not surprising) that outsiders like AVS fans in this thread tend to side with the players while the Stars fanbase sides with the owner. Typical disconnection between outsiders and another team.

As someone with Jamie Benn in his fantasy team, I'm siding with the owner here. Big time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->