2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I didn't know you're involved in the development of this technology.
I have Google. The player chip is being put in the shoulder pads. That doesn't detect where the skates are in relation to the blue line.

Even if the chip were in the skates (it's too big, and its not in the skates) the tech is only accurate at the inch scale.

"The puck and player tracking system can track pucks at a rate of 2,000 times per second in real time with inch-level accuracy," - Bettman

The puck / goal line could be a lot more accurate.

It's not used for offsides.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's great that they're fighting for a playoff spot, and I would hope this affects their attendance but it's getting pretty tiresome with Carolina so desperately grasping for relevancy. The Canadian media focuses around Canadian teams because they're in Canada, okay?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I have Google. The player chip is being put in the shoulder pads. That doesn't detect where the skates are in relation to the blue line.

Even if the chip were in the skates (it's too big, and its not in the skates) the tech is only accurate at the inch scale.

"The puck and player tracking system can track pucks at a rate of 2,000 times per second in real time with inch-level accuracy," - Bettman

The puck / goal line could be a lot more accurate.

It's not used for offsides.

I'll trust the league on this over a 5 second Google search lol

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The league didn't say it can be used for offsides. I searched all the articles that the league has published.

I mean it's also obvious. How will a chip in the shoulder pads, provide a more accurate offside call? It cant. It can't be used for offsides.

The chip is designed to track players position, speed etc, not call offsides lol I don't know how else to explain it.

If the league moved to dynamic offsides like soccer, where the forward can't be behind the last defenceman before the puck is passed, then yah it could work.

It can't work with a blue line.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The league didn't say it can be used for offsides. I searched all the articles that the league has published.

I mean it's also obvious. How will a chip in the shoulder pads, provide a more accurate offside call? It cant. It can't be used for offsides.

The chip is designed to track players position, speed etc, not call offsides lol I don't know how else to explain it.

If the league moved to dynamic offsides like soccer, where the forward can't be behind the last defenceman before the puck is passed, then yah it could work.

It can't work with a blue line.

Put a chip in the puck and back of the skate or something, done. I'm not saying the technology is finalized and at a point where offside and other issues will be magically fixed by next season, obviously it isn't. But I trust the future of chip technology over watching a zoomed in frame from a video. That's like arguing horses are better at transportation than vehicles.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Put a chip in the puck and back of the skate or something, done. I'm not saying the technology is finalized and at a point where offside and other issues will be magically fixed by next season, obviously it isn't. But I trust the future of chip technology over watching a zoomed in frame from a video. That's like arguing horses are better at transportation than vehicles.

I think you guys just had a bit of a miscommunication because now you're essentially admitting he was right that the current technology can't be used for offsides.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Let´s hope Makar was worth our pick.
Honestly I don't want to compare them. Lets just hope Makar becomes our #1 and can help be the guy we've always needed from the backend. That said Pettersson is one of the most fun players to watch in the league and I feel he's only touching the edge his potential atm.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think you guys just had a bit of a miscommunication because now you're essentially admitting he was right that the current technology can't be used for offsides.
Of course I'm right lol I'm quoting the NHL. I don't understand why people are arguing with me haha

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's not really a chip. It's bigger than those tags you get on clothes at stores. It's pretty bulky. It won't be put in skates, and won't be used for offsides.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's not really a chip. It's bigger than those tags you get on clothes at stores. It's pretty bulky. It won't be put in skates, and won't be used for offsides.

You're not getting what I'm saying lol. I'm not talking about today, or tomorrow, I never argued that it can be used for offside calls right now. But the future? Yeah absolutely.

Computers used to take up entire rooms, now you can put them in your pocket. I trust the technology going forward over watching a frame by frame screenshot.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You're not getting what I'm saying lol. I'm not talking about today, or tomorrow, I never argued that it can be used for offside calls right now. But the future? Yeah absolutely.

Computers used to take up entire rooms, now you can put them in your pocket. I trust the technology going forward over watching a frame by frame screenshot.
Lol yah that's not what you said at all man haha gimmie a break. We were talking about next season, and the tweet was also referring to next season.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lol yah that's not what you said at all man haha gimmie a break. We were talking about next season, and the tweet was also referring to next season.

I didn't know you're involved in the development of this technology.

Those are all the messages I sent about this, I never said anything about next season. I said I trust the league and the development of the technology over staying with zoomed in screenshots.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Those are all the messages I sent about this, I never said anything about next season. I said I trust the league and the development of the technology over staying with zoomed in screenshots.
You said the "bold" comment like 30 minutes ago. We starting talking about this last night.

Anyways, they can't be used for offsides, which is all I said. I have no idea what future tech will come out.

Video replay is extremely accurate. Light travels in straight lines. An RFID is not as accurate, even if it were in the skates.

Tennis uses a very accurate system to determine if shots were in or not, and it uses cameras. They don't use chips, because they aren't accurate.

Anyways I'm done talking about this. It can't be used for offsides.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You said the "bold" comment like 30 minutes ago. We starting talking about this last night.

Anyways, they can't be used for offsides, which is all I said. I have no idea what future tech will come out.

Video replay is extremely accurate. Light travels in straight lines. An RFID is not as accurate, even if it were in the skates.

Tennis uses a very accurate system to determine if shots were in or not, and it uses cameras. They don't use chips, because they aren't accurate.

Anyways I'm done talking about this. It can't be used for offsides.

You're talking in absolutes yet admittedly say you have no idea what the future of holds for the technology. All I said was I trust chip technology going forward over video, that's it.

But whatever, believe what you like.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You're talking in absolutes yet admittedly say you have no idea what the future of holds for the technology. All I said was I trust chip technology going forward over video, that's it.

But whatever, believe what you like.
I said it can't be used for offsides like he said in the tweet lol

Chip tech can't be as accurate as video, because of physics. It's not a belief I have lol

Chips are great to track players.

Even the most advanced tracking chips in the world, used by the military on missiles, still uae a laser when they get close.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I said it can't be used for offsides like he said in the tweet lol

Chip tech can't be as accurate as video, because of physics. It's not a belief I have lol

Chips are great to track players.

Even the most advanced tracking chips in the world, used by the military on missiles, still uae a laser when they get close.

I never said anything about the tweet or it's ability for offsides by next season. All I said was I trust the technology going forward over video. Said nothing about laser technology (which would be way better, but I can't see how that would be implemented just yet).

We're just going in circles here, I don't think you're understanding what I'm really saying.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Wow you guys are still going?

I'm pretty sure you agree that the technology can't be used for offsides next season, and you both have no idea about whether it can be used for that purpose in the future, and since neither of you are experts it makes no sense to try to argue about the future of a technology neither of you know a lot about.

Now kiss!
572012213236IiJTV.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I never said anything about the tweet or it's ability for offsides by next season. All I said was I trust the technology going forward over video. Said nothing about laser technology (which would be way better, but I can't see how that would be implemented just yet).

We're just going in circles here, I don't think you're understanding what I'm really saying.

You said you would trust the league over my 5 second Google search.

Then you just said you trust chip technology over video replay.

Video tech is the same as lasers. It's light.

I understand exactly what you're saying.

My point is that the tech can't be used for offsides. Trust whoever you'd like, it still doesn't make a difference.

I don't want to talk about this any more. I've made my point pretty clear.

I do look forward to the tech though, it will definitely change the way the game is coached and managed.

We're going to get tons of new data and stats.

It's also being used for gambling, which is supposed to bring the cap up quite a bit.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wow you guys are still going?

I'm pretty sure you agree that the technology can't be used for offsides next season, and you both have no idea about whether it can be used for that purpose in the future, and since neither of you are experts it makes no sense to try to argue about the future of a technology neither of you know a lot about.

Now kiss!
572012213236IiJTV.gif
I'm more of a dog person. Cats give me hives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->