2018-2019 AHL/NHL Affiliations

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Very Surprising to see Vancouver buck the trend to bring the AHL affiliate locally.
likely because it is Esche who has been relatively successful and convinced Orca Bay aka the Canucks to select Utica, it also tells the fact that Abbotsford or anywhere else in BC simply isn't interested....

is Utica the only market with an expiring affiliation that we know of, or are there others that have yet to be reported on....

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Utica seems like a good affiliate so far, happy with this decision.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Very Surprising to see Vancouver buck the trend to bring the AHL affiliate locally.
The key words are: "The deal in place will allow for an extension of up to an additional six years." The 6-year term seems like an indication that Vancouver is unsure of an affiliate opportunity opening up in a Western city anytime soon, but the way it's written the parties have "outs" if/when conditions change. Standard affiliation contract language.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
yup, all contract language should have a clause that requires an existing affiliation that intends to leave must find a replacement before leaving the market to protect the operator of the franchise, which is also the case here.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The key words are: "The deal in place will allow for an extension of up to an additional six years." The 6-year term seems like an indication that Vancouver is unsure of an affiliate opportunity opening up in a Western city anytime soon, but the way it's written the parties have "outs" if/when conditions change. Standard affiliation contract language.
The fact that they specifically says "up to" an additional six years makes it sound like they have a more liberal out clause than just a standard $XX payment if you leave early or must replace the team with another. Could even be an annual decision where Vancouver has the same decision at this time of year every season. I wonder if someone will do a follow up article to provide details?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The fact that they specifically says "up to" an additional six years makes it sound like they have a more liberal out clause than just a standard $XX payment if you leave early or must replace the team with another. Could even be an annual decision where Vancouver has the same decision at this time of year every season. I wonder if someone will do a follow up article to provide details?
A replacement team requirement if it’s written in the contact chould refer to a junior team or a echl team.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

It's just PR language. I have no doubt that lease agreement between the Canucks and Esche isn't anything out of the norm, with the parties having designated outs after certain points with everything negotiated beforehand on what a party has to do to leave the agreement. Word from those that pay attention says it's essentially three two-year deals. The Canucks and Esche could have signed 50 two-year deals and said "up to 100 years" in the press release. In the end it's all the same: meaningless PR language.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It's just PR language. I have no doubt that lease agreement between the Canucks and Esche isn't anything out of the norm, with the parties having designated outs after certain points with everything negotiated beforehand on what a party has to do to leave the agreement. Word from those that pay attention says it's essentially three two-year deals. The Canucks and Esche could have signed 50 two-year deals and said "up to 100 years" in the press release. In the end it's all the same: meaningless PR language.
Did you hear of any new team if the comets leave clauses in Vancouver’s lease with Utica knowing the devils history. I whould not be surprised if they move their ahl team again someday If they get a good offer

Last edited:

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
More and more now it seems that NHL-AHL affiliations are improving in the sense that it helps the AHL fans to follow the prospects into the NHL.

Which franchises have the poorest affiliations in terms of benefiting the AHL fans and players?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
More and more now it seems that NHL-AHL affiliations are improving in the sense that it helps the AHL fans to follow the prospects into the NHL.

Which franchises have the poorest affiliations in terms of benefiting the AHL fans and players?
For a lot of AHL fans, seeing players move to the NHL team isn't really a benefit. They want their AHL team to do well, win games, and championships.
As far as who promotes the most players from the AHL to NHL, that is going to vary over time, and it influenced by a lot of factors. Some teams may be philosophically inclined to avoid the AHL by signing NHL free agents and allowing draft picks to stay in college, juniors or Europe longer and trying to move them direct to the NHL. It also will vary based largely on the talent at the NHL level. An NHL team who is currently successful with lots of players in their prime won't promote a lot of players primarily because they don't have openings on the roster. Also, draft position a few years ago and how good their scouting is will matter. A particular team might be very interested in growing their own prospects and using the AHL to do that, but because they had a lot of draft busts, or a lot of really successful players who jumped straight to the NHL, they may not appear to be developing young players there.

Reactions: a79krgm

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Folks - I copied this post from the standard AHL/NHL Affiliations thread as I like this general format.. I'll sticky the 2019-2020 thread and leave a note in that one for the go-forward and group participation on the additional format

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->