2018/19 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
The only issue with Savoie is it has been speculated that he may go to the college route. Which could mean that if he doesn't land on a team he likes then he might not report at all.

I think the kid is Western league kid for sure. He’s ready or will be ready earlier then his brother (who went/is going college) he’s proabbly hoping the Oil King’s get a really early pick. Like #1

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the kid is Western league kid for sure. He’s ready or will be ready earlier then his brother (who went/is going college) he’s proabbly hoping the Oil King’s get a really early pick. Like #1

Yeh I imagine the Oil Kings would be his preference given Guenther got drafted by them. But if say PG gets the 1st pick he might opt to go to college

Reactions: howbowdat

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Yeh I imagine the Oil Kings would be his preference given Guenther got drafted by them. But if say PG gets the 1st pick he might opt to go to college
Cougars won’t be bad enough to get the first pick, although they could get lucky with Swift Current’s. If Savoie doesn’t want to come to PG then trading the pick to a team he wants to play for for a massive haul would be the way to go.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Well with training camps underway its almost time to discuss a new year. I personally have not closely followed off-season moves. All I know is my Victoria Royals will drop off as they went all in on 19 year olds last year. Please share info from around the league. I like the idea of a 68 game season as well.
We have so many '98s ...

Phillips
Hannoun
Gregor
Kaspick
Buziak
de Wit
Zablocki
Jarratt
Freadrich
Outhouse

Who is coming back? Going pro? Getting traded?

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
We have so many '98s ...

Phillips
Hannoun
Gregor
Kaspick
Buziak
de Wit
Zablocki
Jarratt
Freadrich
Outhouse

Who is coming back? Going pro? Getting traded?

Philllips will have certainly graduated to the American Hockey League, ditto for Kaspick.
-freadrich is property of the Portland Winterhawks.
De Wit is a Red Deer Rebel.
Gregor is a Prince Albert Raider although consensus is he could turn pro.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Philllips will have certainly graduated to the American Hockey League, ditto for Kaspick.
-freadrich is property of the Portland Winterhawks.
De Wit is a Red Deer Rebel.
Gregor is a Prince Albert Raider although consensus is he could turn pro.
Hmmm, I clearly missed a lot over the summer ...

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Season Predictions

BC Division

1.Vancouver Giants
2.Kamloops Blazers
3.Kelowna Rockets
4.Victoria Royals
5.Prince George Cougars

US Division

1.Tri-City Americans
2.Spokane Chiefs
3.Portland Winterhawks
4.Everett Silvertips
5.Seattle Thunderbirds

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Season Predictions

BC Division

1.Vancouver Giants
2.Kamloops Blazers
3.Kelowna Rockets
4.Victoria Royals
5.Prince George Cougars

US Division

1.Tri-City Americans
2.Spokane Chiefs
3.Portland Winterhawks
4.Everett Silvertips
5.Seattle Thunderbirds
Sorry to say but PG will not be finishing last in the BC Division this year. Zero chance.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Sorry to say but PG will not be finishing last in the BC Division this year. Zero chance.

Oh is that right? I see a very young team. And there's always a chance of anything. So I wouldn't rule that out, just like there's a chance Kamloops or Kelowna or Victoria could finish last.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Season Predictions

BC Division

1.Vancouver Giants
2.Kamloops Blazers
3.Kelowna Rockets
4.Victoria Royals
5.Prince George Cougars

As good a guess as any....

Vancouver will be the class of the BC Division this year.

But, as between 2 through 5, I have absolutely no idea and think it's basically a "pick-em" for the remaining four.

Kelowna shouldn't be very deep this year. But, they always seem to find a couple of guys who have break-outs.

Kamloops has goaltending and a capable blue-line with weaker forward depth.

Victoria is going to have to be inexperienced but solid in the pipes as well.

And, I think PG had their sunset on their competitive roster (I think) and will take a step back as they haven't been impressive at infusing talent from the draft.

Will likely go through the rosters more after decisions are made this weekend.
I also think only 3 playoff spots for the BC Division again this year.

In "I'm Old" news, a kid from my home-town Saskatchewan team appears to be likely to suit up for the Blazers. When I graduated high school, he was not even born yet. Old. I'm still trying to cope.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Oh is that right? I see a very young team. And there's always a chance of anything. So I wouldn't rule that out, just like there's a chance Kamloops or Kelowna or Victoria could finish last.
A young team that has the right mix of rookies and veterans, and a potential superstar in Gauthier. Cougars also have a 20 year old spot open so don’t be surprised to see them trade some of the futures Harkins brought in for a 20 year old forward or defenseman.

And there’s the trade I was talking about

Last edited:

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
.....so you're go to guys that are basically an unproductive, minimal experience in MacLean, Josh Curtis who is an ok player, and Jake Lakustra who I'll admit is a pretty solid 2 way player.

But all in all, a very blech overage group besides Lakustra. Don't think you'll be seeing another division crown this upcoming season.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
As good a guess as any....

Vancouver will be the class of the BC Division this year.

But, as between 2 through 5, I have absolutely no idea and think it's basically a "pick-em" for the remaining four.

Kelowna shouldn't be very deep this year. But, they always seem to find a couple of guys who have break-outs.

Kamloops has goaltending and a capable blue-line with weaker forward depth.

Victoria is going to have to be inexperienced but solid in the pipes as well.

And, I think PG had their sunset on their competitive roster (I think) and will take a step back as they haven't been impressive at infusing talent from the draft.

Will likely go through the rosters more after decisions are made this weekend.
I also think only 3 playoff spots for the BC Division again this year.

In "I'm Old" news, a kid from my home-town Saskatchewan team appears to be likely to suit up for the Blazers. When I graduated high school, he was not even born yet. Old. I'm still trying to cope.

That remains to be seen. Lang flashed some upside in the preseason, and I expect Stuart to of taken a step forward to. And it looks like Loewen can eclipse 40 goals as well.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
.....so you're go to guys that are basically an unproductive, minimal experience in MacLean, Josh Curtis who is an ok player, and Jake Lakustra who I'll admit is a pretty solid 2 way player.

But all in all, a very blech overage group besides Lakustra. Don't think you'll be seeing another division crown this upcoming season.
This post shows you know very little about the Cougars, if anything at all. Jake Lakustra doesn’t exist so I’m assuming you mean Joel Lakusta, Josh Maser came out of no where and scored 28 goals last year, including a 4 goal performance against the Giants, Jackson Leppard will be our best player. Vladislav Mikhalchuk scored 14 goals in his first year on North American ice. Then you factor in contributions from our 16-18 year olds including Matej Toman, who was the 5th overall pick in the import draft this year, Ryan Schoettler who has been compared to a poor man’s Guhle/Cholowski, Ilijah Colina who was the main piece we got in the Cholowski trade came in and produced well. And then finally Taylor Gauthier, who many are saying can be a top 5 goalie in the league this year. So long story short, if you don’t know much about a team, don’t try and look smart by thinking you do, because you really don’t.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
This post shows you know very little about the Cougars, if anything at all. Jake Lakustra doesn’t exist so I’m assuming you mean Joel Lakusta, Josh Maser came out of no where and scored 28 goals last year, including a 4 goal performance against the Giants, Jackson Leppard will be our best player. Vladislav Mikhalchuk scored 14 goals in his first year on North American ice. Then you factor in contributions from our 16-18 year olds including Matej Toman, who was the 5th overall pick in the import draft this year, Ryan Schoettler who has been compared to a poor man’s Guhle/Cholowski, Ilijah Colina who was the main piece we got in the Cholowski trade came in and produced well. And then finally Taylor Gauthier, who many are saying can be a top 5 goalie in the league this year. So long story short, if you don’t know much about a team, don’t try and look smart by thinking you do, because you really don’t.

Yeah well Mike MacLean is the final piece then. And Josh Curtis.....WOOOOOOO. Settle down hero.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Anybody know anything about Mike Mclean? Cats aquired him yesterday, and all I know is that he's a 20 year that's 6'7 and 234 lbs.

Ya he is a massive human and was EXTREMELY well liked in Seattle amongst his teammates. Will definately scrap but didnt fight too much last year but i think it was more/less due to opponents not really wanting to. IMO it was a solid acquisition for PG

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Ya he is a massive human and was EXTREMELY well liked in Seattle amongst his teammates. Will definately scrap but didnt fight too much last year but i think it was more/less due to opponents not really wanting to. IMO it was a solid acquisition for PG

Yeah if this was 2001. Better be able to play hockey to even last his last year.

RoundJohn

Aug 21, 2018
After watching some East Division preseason hockey, and seeing who's been returned so far, I've changed my order of finish prediction some...

1 - Prince Albert
2 - Brandon
3 - Saskatoon
4 - Regina
5 - Moose Jaw
6 - Swift Current

The top three are pretty interchangeable, and the bottom three same thing.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Pretty excited for the season opener. I am in Saskatoon so it will be nice to (probably) have a play-off team for once and to be able too watch a probable top five pick for next years NHL draft in Kirby Dach is exciting. I usually get out to 15-20 games a year and will definitely be there on Saturday for the home opener.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I'm sorry, but I don't see this team doing much. Josh Curtis being a top forward is laughable. Leppard can't carry a line and I can pretty much guarantee Maser will be the Cougars best player. Maser is legit. Saying Leppard will be the Cougars best player basically confirms what the other poster was saying about the team. Lakusta is probably their best defensemen (I think Schoettler is better), and while he is good, it's not much to be excited about.

It's a young team that has support plays like Curtis and Leppard who can't carry lines at this level. Colina is tiny and will be getting the best defensive pairings against him...let's see how that goes. If PG is going to be half decent, it'll be because of Maser/Schoettler/Lakusta/Gauthier and whatever rookies decide to step up. Considering PG's development since their existence basically, I'm not holding my breath.

Finishing last in the division is definitely a real possibility. Would love to be wrong.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Well the season starts tonight. As a Hurricanes fan I've got mixed feelings on the one hand we've got maybe the best core in the league with Bellerive, Cozens and Addison but after that the secondary scoring is questionable Barlage is only 17, Ross and Elmer are good but are they championship level 20s I don't know. I think Keltie Jeri-Leon will breakout though. Defence isn't great either. Hopefully Anholt has some magic in him especially with the new trading rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->