2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie Lukas Jasek of all people has been playing center in the exhibition games do far. Tonight he doubled on right point on the pp. Played pretty well, scored a goal and was his usual positionally sound self.

Yeah, I made a post on the GDT about that when I saw the 4th line listed. All 3 members were RWs though Ferraro is also a center, but Jasek was tabbed to center the line.

I recall a couple of games in which Jasek was skating with Bancks that it was tough to discern which of the two was playing the center role. Both took faceoffs and both could be found in the middle playing a center role.

Could infer lots of things. The worst would be they don't plan to sign Ferraro.

Another idea is they are trying to find roster players who can move into the middle when the roster starts going south after Christmas. Vancouver listed MacEwen as a center on the training camp roster and he hasn't played a minute there in 2 seasons.

Malone could be one of those guys also. He played every one of his 143 games for the University of Wisconsin at center. He accrued a .73 PPG avg with 33G/71A/104Pts. One might think his 5'10"/181lb frame isn't the best to play center in the pro game, but who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I take everything back I said about Ferraro....I've liked his tenacious play so far in the pre-season. He'd be a great 'add' for the Canucks and the Comets if they can swing it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I take everything back I said about Ferraro....I've liked his tenacious play so far in the pre-season. He'd be a great 'add' for the Canucks and the Comets if they can swing it.

It usually pays not to judge a player sight unseen, but most of us are guilty, some more than others.

It will turn out to be complete BS to invite this guy to camp, see he has definite value, and then let him slip away while knowing all the time that he is needed on the farm and could serve as an emergency callup. Better than Megna so there is a comparison.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Knowing @Bad Goalie he probably already has this covered, but just to sum up here are the players cut from the Canucks and sent to Comets training camp so far (plus forward Seamus Malone, a Comets signing who was NOT at Canucks camp):

*Denotes player signed by Utica to an AHL contract

Goaltenders
Michael DiPietro
Jake Kielly
Zane McIntyre

Defensemen
Dylan Blujus*
Mitch Eliot
Zach Frye*
Olli Juolevi
Stefan Leblanc*
Matt Petgrave*
Brogan Rafferty
Ashton Sautner
Josh Teves
Aaron Thow*

Forwards
Vincent Arseneau*
Justin Bailey
Carter Bancks*
Reid Boucher
Carter Camper*
Jonah Gadjovich
Wacey Hamilton*
Lukas Jasek
Kole Lind
Seamus Malone*
Francis Perron
Dylan Sadowy*
Tanner Sorenson*
Dyson Stevenson*

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Knowing @Bad Goalie he probably already has this covered, but just to sum up here are the players cut from the Canucks and sent to Comets training camp so far (plus forward Seamus Malone, a Comets signing who was NOT at Canucks camp):

Goaltenders
Michael DiPietro
Jake Kielly

Defensemen
Dylan Blujus (AHL contract)
Mitch Eliot
Zach Frye (AHL contract)
Stefan Leblanc (AHL contract)
Matt Petgrave (AHL contract)
Aaron Thow (AHL contract)

Forwards
Vincent Arseneau (AHL contract)
Carter Bancks (AHL contract)
Carter Camper (AHL contract)
Jonah Gadjovich
Wacey Hamilton (AHL contract)
Seamus Malone (AHL contract)
Dylan Sadowy (AHL contract)
Tanner Sorenson (AHL contract)
Dyson Stevenson (AHL contract)
Or, in other words, all of the players in the organization signed to AHL only contracts plus a few Canucks.

You are correct, but a little repetition is not a bad thing. Thanks for actually caring enough to be interested.

Many of these guys will be sent to Kalamazoo. They are Johnson's version of "depth players". If a goodly number of them are in the lineup, depth is where the Comets will go - to the depths of the AHL cellar.

I have also posted the skeleton roster listing who we know will be here and speculated upon who else might be waived if things remain the same in Vancouver. Vancouver has a lot of guys in camp that have to go for them to reach 23.

Right now DiPietro and Kielly are going to be squeezed as Bachman and McIntyre cannot be sent to the ECHL. The AHL is as low as they can go. S0, unless they keep 3 goalies, which can never work out well, DiPietro will be #1 in the ZOO with Kielly pushing for his job. It would not hurt Michael one bit to spend a portion of the season in Kalamazoo getting a majority of the games. The more work he gets the better. If he lights it up down there, he will get games in Utica. The Comets have never had a season without both goalies missing time as the result of injury or callups to Vancouver.

Reactions: NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You are correct, but a little repetition is not a bad thing. Thanks for actually caring enough to be interested.

Many of these guys will be sent to Kalamazoo. They are Johnson's version of "depth players". If a goodly number of them are in the lineup, depth is where the Comets will go - to the depths of the AHL cellar.

I have also posted the skeleton roster listing who we know will be here and speculated upon who else might be waived if things remain the same in Vancouver. Vancouver has a lot of guys in camp that have to go for them to reach 23.

Right now DiPietro and Kielly are going to be squeezed as Bachman and McIntyre cannot be sent to the ECHL. The AHL is as low as they can go. S0, unless they keep 3 goalies, which can never work out well, DiPietro will be #1 in the ZOO with Kielly pushing for his job. It would not hurt Michael one bit to spend a portion of the season in Kalamazoo getting a majority of the games. The more work he gets the better. If he lights it up down there, he will get games in Utica. The Comets have never had a season without both goalies missing time as the result of injury or callups to Vancouver.
No need to thank me, as I enjoy keeping track of and documenting who is where throughout the organization (Vancouver, Utica, Kalamazoo).

I'll make a point of tracking down your post with the skeleton roster tomorrow when I get up.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No need to thank me, as I enjoy keeping track of and documenting who is where throughout the organization (Vancouver, Utica, Kalamazoo).

I'll make a point of tracking down your post with the skeleton roster tomorrow when I get up.

There are several in various forms. Happy hunting!

Ah, Screw it.

Forwards:
Boucher(VET)/Gaudette/MacEwen
Perron/Graovac(VET)/Bailey(VE)
Bnacks(VET)/Camper(VET)/Jasek
Malone-Gadjovich/Hamilton(VET)/Lind

Would really hope that Ferraro gets a contract.
Arseneau
2 of the following in my mind. Schaller(VET), Motte, Leivo(VE), Goldobin(VE)

Cull would have his problems here. Only 5 vets and 1 Veteran exempt can play in a game at one time. 3 of his Comets would not be playable every game. This is what happens when you try to hold onto every guy you have instead of moving them for picks or non vet players to keep a steady prospect flow going at the AHL level.

D:
Brisebois
Blujus
Sautner
Rafferty
LeBlanc
Teves
Juolevi
Eliot
Chatfield

Not a vet in the mix. As MS and i have [pointed out almost every single AHL team will have 2 vet D-men on their lineup and usually one each in the first 2 pairs. The exception might be if a team has a real can't miss high draft pick prospect who is in the AHL because the parent roster can afford to let him cook for a season in the AHL. If this is the Comets final look on D, it will very well be the least experienced D-corps in the AHL and likely destined for some big problems. They really need to add at least one, preferably 2 and they don't have to be vets. Toronto and other AHL teams always seem top manage to bring in talented experienced Europeans who fall below the Veteran rule in games played in order to provide their roster with the necessary pieces to fill out their needs without having to clog up their roster with too many vets. They actually plan out their farm roster over the summer.

McIntyre
Bachman
Both vets and they cannot be sent to the ECHL by rule.

DiPietro
Kielly
Both are rookies and eligible to play in the ECHL.
It looks like the rooks will start in the Kalamazoo where they get more ice. I'd think Michael would be #1 unless Kielly wrests it from him.

They could keep 3 in Utica, but that kind of thing rarely works out well.

The Zoo candidates are as follows.
Forwards:
Dyson Stevenson
Dylan Sadowy
Tanner Sorenson

D:
Matt Petgrave
Zach Frye
Aaron Thow

Changes to this group can easily happen before the season opens, but his is how I see it at the moment.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It usually pays not to judge a player sight unseen, but most of us are guilty, some more than others.

It will turn out to be complete BS to invite this guy to camp, see he has definite value, and then let him slip away while knowing all the time that he is needed on the farm and could serve as an emergency callup. Better than Megna so there is a comparison.
The problem is that if Ferraro continues to have a solid camp, there's a very real possibility that another NHL team will give him the one-way contract he wants......not sure the Canucks can do any better than a two-way deal at this point.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The problem is that if Ferraro continues to have a solid camp, there's a very real possibility that another NHL team will give him the one-way contract he wants......not sure the Canucks can do any better than a two-way deal at this point.

You do know that the Comets don't have any NHL level salaries on their roster until the waiver forwards are sent down and they aren't big salaries anyways, but they can compensate him well on a 2-way if that's what they choose to do. They have also sent guys on 1-ways here before.

They do have room for him on their 50. Jockeying those numbers during the season especially at the TDL opens up more space. One for one trades can dump a contract and replace it with another, like the Carcone for Leivo deal last season. You add a needed piece, but the your number on the 50 list remains unchanged. If you want to do it, you can. Players can also be waived to be released and that opens up slots. Teams do that all the time when they can't find a trade for them. The open slots don't usually present a problem until late in the season when the college players come out. Thus, the TDL deals again.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ferraro released from his PTO as more expected cuts are sent to Utica. I know a player has to be released before he can be signed to any kind of contract, but I'm not waiting with any sense of expectancy to see it happen. Another productive center about to pass through their hands once again.

As I survey the expected roster does anyone else see what I see? At forward the Comets already have 5 vets and 1 VE penciled in. The guys projected to come down from Vancouver ar 2 vets, 2 VEs and 1 non vet and that's not counting Gaudette, who we don't have to be concerned about related to Veteran status.

I have Gaudette in my lineup in post #909 above. If the demotions are any of Schaller (vet), Eriksson (vet), Leivo (VE), or Goldobin (VE). They would not be able to play unless another of similar status were scratched. Leaving Arseneau as the ONLY backup forward on the roster forcing Green to keep players that Johnson signed who should be assigned to Kalamazoo because they are NOT AHL material!

The summer went by and the 2-headed nitwit squad did not acquire a surplus of backup AHL level forwards to finish out the Comets roster. It is a roster that includes a massive total of 4 NHL prospects at forward. MacEwen is finishing his ELC and has played well. Jasek is in yr 2 of his ELC and looks to be progressing favorably. Lind and Gadjovich were once again very unimpressive in Vancouver's camp and appear to have the same issues they had last season.

The D-corps is skating on very thin ice. Sautner is the closest thing they have to an AHL vet. Brisebois is on the last year of his ELC and still has problems vs pressure, runs around too much, and is still poor with his first pass unless he has time and space to operate in. Chatfield from the preseason game reports may actually have regressed form the not so hot player he was last season. Combine that with 4 rookies one of whom is Juolevi, who still has to be considered a rookie due to his lack of GP (13), and this crew could be a disaster.

This leaves the best defender the Comets had last season and returns this season, Blujus, scratched if Cull plays all the prospects. It also leaves LeBlanc who was more than adequate last season sitting with him. If the D-men above fail, Cull will be forced to play Blujus, who I know has to be better than someone in that prospect crew. Stefan will have to bide his time, but he will get some ice.

No matter how you slice it, this will be one of, if not the least, experienced D-corps in the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's not much doubt that Comets blueline could get exposed in the early going. But given the propensity of injuries on the blueline both up top with the Canucks and with the Comets in years's past, I think there's still a good chance they'll snag somebody else.

In the next week or two, a flock of players are going to be on waivers from their NHL clubs. Maybe an AHL-player for AHL-player trade?Something we haven't seen much of much the Canucks, unless it's something like loaning Gagner to the Marlies. Ouch!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
There are several in various forms. Happy hunting!

Ah, Screw it.

Forwards:
Boucher(VET)/Gaudette/MacEwen
Perron/Graovac(VET)/Bailey(VE)
Bnacks(VET)/Camper(VET)/Jasek
Malone-Gadjovich/Hamilton(VET)/Lind

Would really hope that Ferraro gets a contract.
Arseneau
2 of the following in my mind. Schaller(VET), Motte, Leivo(VE), Goldobin(VE)

Cull would have his problems here. Only 5 vets and 1 Veteran exempt can play in a game at one time. 3 of his Comets would not be playable every game. This is what happens when you try to hold onto every guy you have instead of moving them for picks or non vet players to keep a steady prospect flow going at the AHL level.

D:
Brisebois
Blujus
Sautner
Rafferty
LeBlanc
Teves
Juolevi
Eliot
Chatfield

Not a vet in the mix. As MS and i have [pointed out almost every single AHL team will have 2 vet D-men on their lineup and usually one each in the first 2 pairs. The exception might be if a team has a real can't miss high draft pick prospect who is in the AHL because the parent roster can afford to let him cook for a season in the AHL. If this is the Comets final look on D, it will very well be the least experienced D-corps in the AHL and likely destined for some big problems. They really need to add at least one, preferably 2 and they don't have to be vets. Toronto and other AHL teams always seem top manage to bring in talented experienced Europeans who fall below the Veteran rule in games played in order to provide their roster with the necessary pieces to fill out their needs without having to clog up their roster with too many vets. They actually plan out their farm roster over the summer.

McIntyre
Bachman
Both vets and they cannot be sent to the ECHL by rule.

DiPietro
Kielly
Both are rookies and eligible to play in the ECHL.
It looks like the rooks will start in the Kalamazoo where they get more ice. I'd think Michael would be #1 unless Kielly wrests it from him.

They could keep 3 in Utica, but that kind of thing rarely works out well.

The Zoo candidates are as follows.
Forwards:
Dyson Stevenson
Dylan Sadowy
Tanner Sorenson

D:
Matt Petgrave
Zach Frye
Aaron Thow

Changes to this group can easily happen before the season opens, but his is how I see it at the moment.
Appreciate this @Bad Goalie .

Note: I've added today's Canucks training camp cuts (09/21/19) to the Comets roster in post #904.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
assuming Canucks go 8D

what do we think the Utica pairings are going to look like?

Brisebois - Rafferty
Sautner - Blujus
Teves - Chatfield

LeBlanc - Eliot as the 7/8 extras

Then when Juolevi is ACTUALLY capable of playing hockey again - Teves slides out and they throw him in with Rafferty in the top pair?

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I wonder if 7D is the way the Nucks go, and whether Fantenberg or Biega is sent down.

Juolevi - Biega
Brisebois - Rafferty
Sautner - Chatfield
Teves, Leblanc, Eliot, Blujus

Young, untested but the potential seems to be there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I wonder if 7D is the way the Nucks go, and whether Fantenberg or Biega is sent down.

Juolevi - Biega
Brisebois - Rafferty
Sautner - Chatfield
Teves, Leblanc, Eliot, Blujus

Young, untested but the potential seems to be there.

Replace Chatfield with Blujus and you might have the best of what is.

Reactions: UticaHockey

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Based on last year's usage of Juolevi, he's more likely to be on the 3rd pairing than the 1st:

Sautner - Blujus
Brisebois - Rafferty
Juolevi - Chatfield

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Based on last year's usage of Juolevi, he's more likely to be on the 3rd pairing than the 1st:

Sautner - Blujus
Brisebois - Rafferty
Juolevi - Chatfield

Juolevi/Chatfield last season was a trainwreck.

Chatfield appears to have regressed from where he was at the end of yr one.

With the bad knee, Juolevi is going to be even less likely to engage this season than he did last season.

Neither one of these guys is capable of supporting and covering for the other. Both of them need a real sound partner to protect, cover, bail them out, and carry the pairing. Nobody of this ilk exists on the Comets roster. If they don't acquire a couple guys of at least Sifers quality they will, be an adventure game after game. It would also be necessary to play those guys.

Opponents will be licking their chops at the thought of having the current group trying to defend against them. It will be forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Win the puck battles, steal the puck, force turnovers, field the blind passes, charge the net front, set up in front or on the back door, screen the keeper, and shoot-shoot-shoot.

Oh and the forwards from last year at least were of little help defensively. The Comets finished 28th out of 31 teams in goals against. It's not looking like that number will improve. If it does, it will be due to outstanding goaltending, but our Vancouver brethren did nothing but berate the efforts of the Comets keepers during the preseason so how does that look?

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
speaking of knee injuries

is no one else concerned that a guy like Ferraro had a knee injury around the same time as Juolevi last season but came into camp and was skating well enough to convince most that he could be worthy of a center role on the farm. But Juolevi could barely get through one practice and bag skate unscathed?

And re: forward defensive help - i looked at my stats and there were VERY few forwards who posted a positive even-strength on-ice goal differential

Jasek +3
Gaudette +2
Gaunce +2
Malone +1
Arseneau +1
Carcone +1
Archibald +1
Szmatula +1

Could be a VERY tough year for the goaltenders of Utica if no one takes a positive step

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
speaking of knee injuries

is no one else concerned that a guy like Ferraro had a knee injury around the same time as Juolevi last season but came into camp and was skating well enough to convince most that he could be worthy of a center role on the farm. But Juolevi could barely get through one practice and bag skate unscathed?

And re: forward defensive help - i looked at my stats and there were VERY few forwards who posted a positive even-strength on-ice goal differential

Jasek +3
Gaudette +2
Gaunce +2
Malone +1
Arseneau +1
Carcone +1
Archibald +1
Szmatula +1

Could be a VERY tough year for the goaltenders of Utica if no one takes a positive step

Gaunce, Carcone, Archibald, and Szmatula are not even in the organization. Malone only played 6 games and Gaudette 14.

I have mentioned repeatedly, as in the post above you just responded to that the Comets finished 28th out 31 AHL teams in goals against. The worst group of forwards defensively was the first line of Boucher (57GA/56GP), Kero (69GA/67GP), and MacEwen (67GA/69GP). They were not regulars on the PK either.

When forwards are poor defensively it makes the defenders work much harder. It often becomes a major task just to get the puck out of the zone let alone create breakouts. It was turnover city, led to many penalties, and goalies were under siege. This may be the biggest weakness I have seen with Cull's coaching. Green's teams were defensively sound, so even when they were offensively weak, their defensive efforts along with steady goaltending always saw them in the game.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Gaunce, Carcone, Archibald, and Szmatula are not even in the organization. Malone only played 6 games and Gaudette 14.

I have mentioned repeatedly, as in the post above you just responded to that the Comets finished 28th out 31 AHL teams in goals against. The worst group of forwards defensively was the first line of Boucher (57GA/56GP), Kero (69GA/67GP), and MacEwen (67GA/69GP). They were not regulars on the PK either.

When forwards are poor defensively it makes the defenders work much harder. It often becomes a major task just to get the puck out of the zone let alone create breakouts. It was turnover city, led to many penalties, and goalies were under siege. This may be the biggest weakness I have seen with Cull's coaching. Green's teams were defensively sound, so even when they were offensively weak, their defensive efforts along with steady goaltending always saw them in the game.

whoops I meant to say italicized are those that aren't even with the Org anymore

but yeah Im echoing your point - the forward groups were QUITE remarkably poor defensively and likely arent going to be any better without players taking better steps ahead in their game.

And regarding Cull's coaching, wasn't he Syracuse' old Defensive coach as well? if so, bit odd

Dreamer

Feb 10, 2019
Yesterdays exhibition game stats show (-2) for Boucher,McEwen,Sautner and Chatfield and a (-1) for Graovac. Is this a sign of things to come ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad