2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I rarely post in this thread but thanks to all who do as I read it frequently, often with frustration.

Had no idea Syracuse was Tampa's farm team. What a well run organization, best in the league. I was looking over their roster and saw Taylor Raddysh. He is six months older than Lind and Gadjovich but it just shows the difference of success. Raddysh has 40 points in 64 games with 16 goals. Gadjovich had 2 goals and 7 points in 37 games. Lind 3 goals and 11 points in 48 games. All three players were second round picks. Player development seems to be a big problem with the Nucks organization.

When the Comets pseudo-GM Johnson openly espouses the philosophy that the Comets (HE!!!!!! and I must assume BENNING) don't want to sign AHL pros that are better than the prospects, just exactly how well do you expect the prospects to develop? Just browse that Syracuse roster you eluded to. You won't see any Darcy, Woods, Gardiner, Hamilton, Bancks, Arseneau, Blujus, or Graham facsimles dotting their game day lineup.

Blujus is one of the Comets most dependale D-men even when the D-corps is healthy. Syracuse cut him from their roster last season after training camp and sent him to the ECHL where Utica picked him up on a PTO and later signed him to an AHL contract. They re-signed him to another for this season. He is not a veteran D-man that will settle a defense and become the mentor for all the kids like a Schenn or Huskins, but then again it fits the profile. Can't have a guy better than Brisebois or Chatfield. Sautner and McEneny will serve the role of mentor and show these young guys the way, NOT. They need that solid vet just as much as the other 2. Without them the Comets D holds in game fire drills more often than any other defense in the AHL. Most AHL top 6s contain 2 veteran D-men. They play with the 2 kids and the older prospects pair together. Johnson/Bnning's idea of these two vets are Sifers and Blujus. Blujus will be able to play next year before reaching vet staus by AHL rules.
Sifers is 36 and playing on borrowed time and worn out wheels.

As to the forwards if they shouldn't be better than the prospects that would mean they can't be better than Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, and Palmu. Correct? Well centered by Woods, Darcy and Gardiner they still aren't as good. Put a center pair of O'Reilly and Hensick, who are light years ahead of the Comets AHL deadwood trio, with these kids and I bet you would have seen much better results.

Prospects sent to Utica without a proper support package are doomed to fail. Kids coming into a very good pro league against men, many who have NHL experience and/or a few years of AHL experience along with younger players who have been in the league for 1-4 years, left to fend for themselves or as some say learn from being thrown into the fire or learn by making mistakes and fixing them, will usually play very poorly. Many actually get eaten alive a la Palmu. Jasek has fared the best because he came over from a European pro league and had played vs men before. Lind and Gadjovich looked like deer in the headlights for almost half the season.

Just exactly WTF is meant by Johnson's philosophical statement? It may be one of the stupidest damned concepts I have ever heard. When your prospects have never played a minute of pro hockey at any level, just how good are they making it possible to know just how good the vets would have to be not to be better than them? Did you follow that twisted illogic? That is 100% pure idiocy. You put these kids with players who can help show them the way by playing on their lines or paired up defensively. Their natural talents then meld with the new system and they learn how to take their game to the next level.

D-O-H-H-H-H!!!!!!!!!!! Homer Simpson logic as I live and breathe.

Let's make sure the veteran co-pilot isn't better than the new guy who has never flown a plane before because we want the new guy to be able to excel and not have to cede to the vet's abilities. How about the vet teaches the new guy the ropes and then let's him excel at this own pace until he's ready to solo? Witness the Syracuse Crunch, Toronto Marlies, and who whole ****load of other competently run AHL franchises. Of course these franchise are sent a load of prospects from the picks these NHL management teams acquire as well as college players signed and developed in the AHL along with free agent JRs and Europeans. These prospects are not just prospects by definition, but are thought to have hockey skills and IQ at a potential level to be able to at least become good AHL players if not NHL players. Benning has acquired top picks thanks to NHL rules to help floundering franchises, but has opted to avoid adding extra picks and his undrafted selections have not been stellar and his European UFAs have been few and not the most talented. Look at where some of the Tampa players and those in Syracuse were drafted and where they got some of the others who didn't get drafted and those they picked up as add-ons in NHL trades.

You do not see the same kind of futures planning going on in Benning's moves. His moves are all help me now. I used to say, as others do, that Benning has a zero patience level. I have moved on to the belief he has no patience at all except after he acquires a player and then his patience goes through the roof in order to somehow prove he was correct. If that guy ends up a 3rd or 4th line regular it was still an okay move a la 6th OA pick Jake Virtanen and the same logic is now being applied to 5th OA selection Olli Juolevi. JB will eventually give up when it is obvious there is no hope, but look at the price that was paid for a player he no longer employs.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You compared the Canucks' ownership to another set of owners and cited a bunch of zany/ill-advised things those other owners did, then failed to provide any examples of the Canucks' owners actually doing anything similar to any of the things you cited.
I was sort of agreeing with another poster and mentioned an old op ed piece written by a member of the Aquilini management group in a local paper that outlined their organizational philosophy. I wish I could find it, as I said earlier I have scoured the internet looking for it. It was posted at CDC a few years ago.

I'm referring to a general focus on live event production and a tendency to half ass the hockey department and to look for quick fixes. It's been this way for most of the past fifty years.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I was sort of agreeing with another poster and mentioned an old op ed piece written by a member of the Aquilini management group in a local paper that outlined their organizational philosophy. I wish I could find it, as I said earlier I have scoured the internet looking for it. It was posted at CDC a few years ago.
Would you agree that the comparison you then drew with other management groups was tenuous?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
However the Canuck braintrust will choose to spin it, this year has been an unqualified disaster in Utica. Half the current roster might be plying their trade in the ECHL next season....and most of the prospects stalled.

Is really hope the Canucks postmortem on the season, which is coming up a week from now, includes some hard question from the media throng about what happened in Utica....and what they're going to do differently next year.

But given the puff-ball questions that seem to permeate these Canuck press conferences, I'm not holding my breath.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Would you agree that the comparison you then drew with other management groups was tenuous?
One instructive element of the op ed piece was a deeply held organizational belief that making the playoffs every year was all that was necessary and that actual success in the playoffs was down to "luck". This was stated again and again. Marketing and live event production were the cornerstones.

Reactions: tyhee

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I rarely post in this thread but thanks to all who do as I read it frequently, often with frustration.

Had no idea Syracuse was Tampa's farm team. What a well run organization, best in the league. I was looking over their roster and saw Taylor Raddysh. He is six months older than Lind and Gadjovich but it just shows the difference of success. Raddysh has 40 points in 64 games with 16 goals. Gadjovich had 2 goals and 7 points in 37 games. Lind 3 goals and 11 points in 48 games. All three players were second round picks. Player development seems to be a big problem with the Nucks organization.
Look at those last four games in Syracuse.

IMG_20190330_173224_1213.jpg

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
One instructive element of the op ed piece was a deeply held organizational belief that making the playoffs every year was all that was necessary and that actual success in the playoffs was down to "luck". This was stated again and again. Marketing and live event production were the cornerstones.
Can you explain how the Canucks' marketing is appreciably different than that of other NHL teams?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Can you explain how the Canucks' marketing is appreciably different than that of other NHL teams?
Nope. I don't believe I said it was.

Just that it was, you know, more of a focus than the hockey department. I don't think this is controversial at this stage.

I mean the hockey department is obviously low rent shite....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Lind and Gadjovich have flopped because they were bad picks, not due to bad development.

Gadjovich was left in the dust when the pace upped in the OHL playoffs and couldn’t keep up at the WJC and looked completely out of place. Nobody should have been surprised when he then couldn’t keep up in the AHL.

Raddysh was a far better prospect who showed it at the 2 WJCs he was selected for.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a 'chicken and egg' thing. Are Gadjovich and Lind just bad picks....or are they just surrounded with a mediocre team? I guess we'll learn the truth by following Dahlen. If he knocks it out of the park in San Jose, then maybe we can conclude that there's something wrong with the development path for prospects in Utica.

But realistically, this team limping to the finish line isn't the real Comets. On any NHL team that doesn't resemble a MASH unit like the Canucks, guys like Demko, Gaudette, Brisebois, Schenn, Sautner and maybe even Spooner and Schaller would have been in Utica for most of the season. Then we might be having a totally different conversation.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's a 'chicken and egg' thing. Are Gadjovich and Lind just bad picks....or are they just surrounded with a mediocre team? I guess we'll learn the truth by following Dahlen. If he knocks it out of the park in San Jose, then maybe we can conclude that there's something wrong with the development path for prospects in Utica.

But realistically, this team limping to the finish line isn't the real Comets. On any NHL team that doesn't resemble a MASH unit like the Canucks, guys like Demko, Gaudette, Brisebois, Schenn, Sautner and maybe even Spooner and Schaller would have been in Utica for most of the season.

Then we might be having a totally different conversation.

Yes, we might, but we don't and we haven't since Benning ostensibly took over after he fired Henning. It's been the same sad scenario for the past 4 seasons. I doubt he makes any major changes in his Comets team construction and maintenance next season either which will simply result in more of the same.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2 more first round picks have signed with their respective clubs a la Hughes.

Shane Bowers out of NCAA Boston U signed with the Avalanche and was assigned to the AHL Colorado Eagles on an ATO.

Oliver Wahlstrom out of NCAA Boston College signed with the NY Islanders and was assigned to the AHL Bridgeport Sound Tigers on an ATO.

Wonder why they were sent to the AHL instead of playing with their respective NHL teams? Have to think it's because those teams will be playing in the AHL playoffs and these guys will be helpful to those teams while getting their feet wet in the pro game. Probably were not bent over at the idea of playing in the AHL and not burning a year off their ELCs a la undrafted, newly signed to an NHL contract, Vancouver prospect JoshTeves.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What's Demko up to?? 6 starts???

No! A whopping 7. Combine that with his 16 in Utica for 23 GP. He will probably get in 25 games.

45 games as a rookie.
47 games in season 2.
25 in season 3.

So a guy who Benning agreed with his agent and family was ready for the NHL gets maybe 9 games after having been committed to Vancoover. Those are the kind of numbers a veteran goalie gets as a backup in his senior years.

If they really have hopes for this kid to be a top rate NHL keeper, you tell him "We know what's best for your development and it's playing as many games as possible in the AHL, not riding the pine as a backup to a #1. You are not ready to be the #1, so get back to Uitica and get better. Become the best of the NHL prospects peppered throughout that league, which you have not done. We want you to come in next year and be part of a 1a/1b situation. If that pans out, we can make plans for you to become the 1a and maybe take over if you can push Markstrom out."

This hasn't become the kind of season that top prospects use to push an incumbent out of his job. This season may just have set his progress back a year or more. Goalies improve with lots and lots of work and he hasn't come close to doing that combined with 2 injuries and a lot of bench time in Vancouver. That second injury should have ended it for him in Vancouver this season, but Jimbo in all of his infinite wisdom didn't have any other goalie in the system to switch places with him. If anything had ever happened to Markstrom after Nilsson was traded, the Canucks would have been in a real world of hurt, since he never did address the issue.

Mazanec and Leighton sharing the goaltending duties in Vancouver would have been a real *hi* show.

Right now the 2 share those roles in Utica and Mazanec has an .849 SV% and Leighton's is slightly better at .898. Imagine what happens to those numbers in the NHL.

Moms and dads and agents do not run NHL teams!!!!!

Maybe somebody with some clout can inform Bennong of that fact and actually order him to take control of his charges.

Last edited:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
No! A whopping 7. Combine that with his 16 in Utica for 23 GP. He will probably get in 25 games.

45 games as a rookie.
47 games in season 2.
25 in season 3.

So a guy who Benning agreed with his agent and family was ready for the NHL gets maybe 9 games after having been committed to Vancoover. Those are the kind of numbers a veteran goalie gets as a backup in his senior years.

Demko's been injured for almost half the season. After he was called up to the NHL, he got injured and missed 2 weeks. When he was healthy again, it was the All-Star break followed by the Canucks bye-week. 25 games is a lot considering the amount of time he's missed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Has Utica won a round in the playoffs since Benning's 1st year?

If they haven't it's pretty wild that this "rebuilding" organizations only successes came in the first year and have steadily gotten worse and worse.

But sure, yeah, Benning is an elite team builder.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Demko's been injured for almost half the season. After he was called up to the NHL, he got injured and missed 2 weeks. When he was healthy again, it was the All-Star break followed by the Canucks bye-week. 25 games is a lot considering the amount of time he's missed.
HAHAHAHAHA

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Has Utica won a round in the playoffs since Benning's 1st year?

If they haven't it's pretty wild that this "rebuilding" organizations only successes came in the first year and have steadily gotten worse and worse.

But sure, yeah, Benning is an elite team builder.
No. Since Benning fired Henning the Comets missed the playoffs twice and lost in the first round twice.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
You really don't have any idea what went on or continues to go on. Drink some more of that Canucklehead Benning tasting Kool Aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad