⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since last season Toronto has improved in the standings going from 95 points in 2017 to 105 points in 2018, hopefully they can get no worse than 2nd in the Atlantic and if they happen to finish 1st that would be even better.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Well, I guess I better squeeze one more of these out before the off season is over. John Tavares is a Maple Leaf.

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
96 points to probably clinch a playoff spot. Unless you're in the Atlantic where it only will take 70 :sarcasm:

I could see Florida really challenging for a spot this year and perhaps evening out the playoff spots to 4 per division, but damn this division is a tire fire. Maybe Buffalo gets better? IDK The other 3 suck.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Random question. What specifically makes Tampa Bay a better team than Toronto?

In fact, what makes Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay, Boston all better than Toronto. Except in Boston's case, you really can't say defense, and Toronto will have the best offense in the league next year... So?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

In fact, what makes Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay, Boston all better than Toronto. Except in Boston's case, you really can't say defense, and Toronto will have the best offense in the league next year... So?

Nothing.

We’re in the same tier as those teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing.

We’re in the same tier as those teams.
If it wasn't for Andersen struggling during the month of October during last season, it's very likely that the Leafs are competing with Tampa Bay and Boston for 1st and 2nd in the Atlantic until the very end. They finished 8 points behind Tampa Bay and 7 points behind Boston, so they are very much in their class.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
when nylander gets back what does babcock do with him? i could see him stratched a game or a stint on the 4th line.

He's a top 6 RW, so he's in our top 6.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander (harder to cover that line, you could cheat a bit more because Ennis is nothing)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner (only will get better as the season goes on)
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen (these should be Kadri's wingers and will be at some point I bet)
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Concern is defense, we'll add one by the trade deadline I bet. You always hear a name out there in trades and if the right fit happens to come on the market this season, then we need to jump on them.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Tampa is a much more complete team. They have a very good offence, very good defence and a very good young goalie. If I was making a prediction right now I'd say Tampa finishes first in the conference and Toronto or Washington second.

Reactions: ACC1224

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If it wasn't for Andersen struggling during the month of October during last season, it's very likely that the Leafs are competing with Tampa Bay and Boston for 1st and 2nd in the Atlantic until the very end. They finished 8 points behind Tampa Bay and 7 points behind Boston, so they are very much in their class.
That's a whole month though. that's like taking away his best month and saying if it wasn't for this month we would have finished worse. But being second or third best in the conference right now isn't a bad thing. Anything can happen but still... we sucked for years so I'd gladly take a top 2-3 finish and top 5 overall.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Tampa has the reigning Norris trophy winner, absolutely you can say defense makes them better.

Boston had arguably the best line in hockey last year, which absolutely shredded us in the playoffs.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Since last season Toronto has improved in the standings going from 95 points in 2017 to 105 points in 2018, hopefully they can get no worse than 2nd in the Atlantic and if they happen to finish 1st that would be even better.
Yep, not going to be too concerned with points this season. I'll be only focused on where they are in the division. 1st is the goal.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Experience

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Sparks as backup and we are not getting first.

So its another first round match up with boston

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sparks as backup and we are not getting first.

So its another first round match up with boston

I thought I was a "glass half empty" guy but I am at least willing to wait until after week one before I make any bold predictions. If Sparks makes that much of a negative difference from McB then the answer is to beat Boston and TB head to head. My guess is that Andy plays those games.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is a very good team.
So much better than I've seen in such a long time.

Pros:
In terms of C depth and offense, we are going to be hard to play against.
In terms of offense and PP, we can bury teams.

Cons:
In terms of being heavy, we are not going to be hard to play against.
On the D side, much remains to be seen. I can't judge preseason games against all teams that should compete for bottom 5 in the league. This is the con side of our team.

Outlook:
Again, lots to be excited about and we are totally contenders, but are we a contender that can't get past the 2nd round because of the above. That's what the season and time will show.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is a very good team.
So much better than I've seen in such a long time.

Pros:
In terms of C depth and offense, we are going to be hard to play against.
In terms of offense and PP, we can bury teams.

Cons:
In terms of being heavy, we are not going to be hard to play against.
On the D side, much remains to be seen. I can't judge preseason games against all teams that should compete for bottom 5 in the league. This is the con side of our team.

Outlook:
Again, lots to be excited about and we are totally contenders, but are we a contender that can't get past the 2nd round because of the above. That's what the season and time will show.

Agree with your take but it may only take a couple of moves to fix our flaws. Unfortunately we seem to have difficulty making those moves.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
12834114.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->