2018-19 Tank Tracker (Mod Warning post #724)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not a Kirby Dach fan I take it?
I like some elements of his game, and he definitely has an interesting ceiling. But I think he's more likely to bust than the players I listed, and I think his skill set would be best utilized alongside a pure sniper, which Detroit doesn't have.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And nobody ever suggested that Jeff Blashill should have anything to do with not trying to win.

Holland should bench the players, and the coaches should be furious, because they're hard-wired to win every game, just like the players themselves. But management should care less about wins in March and April than wins in June. If anything, it would further strengthen the locker room, since it would be Everybody vs Holland.

You CANT DO IT THAT WAY. You can’t bench healthy players. The NHLPA would throw a fit, the owners would throw a fit, basically everyone but the people who want the team to tank for a draft pick would be pissed.

And **** no it wouldn’t strengthen the locker room. This isn’t Major League. You’d have guys like Larkin and Bertuzzi who kill themselves all year but “oh, nothing you do matters, Dylan, too bad”.

You also wouldn’t be granted emergency call ups if you healthy scratch players. So... by sitting 3 healthy players and a goalie, you’re basically making it to where you’re either skating down a man or you are ****ed to high hell if you have an injury in game. That’s not a realistic thing a team would do. That’s insane.

Reactions: redwings8831

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Yeah, I don't understand why these losers are winning meaningless games. Take the L and try to better your odds at fixing the team going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You CANT DO IT THAT WAY. You can’t bench healthy players. The NHLPA would throw a fit, the owners would throw a fit, basically everyone but the people who want the team to tank for a draft pick would be pissed.

And **** no it wouldn’t strengthen the locker room. This isn’t Major League. You’d have guys like Larkin and Bertuzzi who kill themselves all year but “oh, nothing you do matters, Dylan, too bad”.

You also wouldn’t be granted emergency call ups if you healthy scratch players. So... by sitting 3 healthy players and a goalie, you’re basically making it to where you’re either skating down a man or you are ****ed to high hell if you have an injury in game. That’s not a realistic thing a team would do. That’s insane.
I don't care. The players can take a long walk off a short pier, because absolutely NOTHING that happens in the final games of the regular season will matter when next October rolls around. It's a brand new year, and there's no such thing as carryover momentum.

The fate of the 2019-20 Red Wings will be more dependent on summer workouts, free agent signings, and half a dozen other factors than whether they "finish well" right now. It's the fake news of the sporting world. And after three quarters of a horrendous season, the payoff of a phenomenal draft pick was within reach...and now they're doing their best to flush that away, so all those other losses just got a whole lot closer to being pointless.

Either be good at being good, or be good at being bad. But this nonsense is just being bad at being bad, which is a waste of time.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Lottery results w/ team's chance of winning that pick and their reverse seeding:

1st: Leafs, 20% (last)
2nd: Winnipeg, 7.8% (6th last)
3rd: Columbus, 9.8% (4th last)

1st: New Jersey - 8.5% (5th last)
2nd: Philadelphia - 2.5% (13th last)
3rd: Dallas - 6.4% (8th last)

1st: Buffalo, 18% (last)
2nd: Carolina, 3.3% (11th last)
3rd: Montreal, 9.7% (4th last).

Since the new lottery system came into action, the top 3 teams have never really won the top picks. The last team has won the first pick a couple of times but it's mostly other teams jumping. This is an artifact of how close the odds actually are for all these teams - all within a few percentage points of each other. People here really need to realise that while it sucks that our odds are going down a bit ,the difference isn't nearly as big as you all think. Absolute worst case, 3 teams that are all below us win and we end with the 8th overall pick. Unlikely but that's the only case in whcih we get sorta screwed, cause picks 3-7 are all fantastic, as I've discussed on here before.

Reactions: KJoe88 and Winger98

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
We are ALL Rangers fans tomorrow... If they beat the OTT at home tomorrow they will be 3 points up on us. I don't expect us to win at PPG Paints on Thursday, the Pens will probably be pissed, plus I will be stunned.

Then at worst we will finish with 5th best odds so not too horrible

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Lottery results w/ team's chance of winning that pick and their reverse seeding:

1st: Leafs, 20% (last)
2nd: Winnipeg, 7.8% (6th last)
3rd: Columbus, 9.8% (4th last)

1st: New Jersey - 8.5% (5th last)
2nd: Philadelphia - 2.5% (13th last)
3rd: Dallas - 6.4% (8th last)

1st: Buffalo, 18% (last)
2nd: Carolina, 3.3% (11th last)
3rd: Montreal, 9.7% (4th last).

Since the new lottery system came into action, the top 3 teams have never really won the top picks. The last team has won the first pick a couple of times but it's mostly other teams jumping. This is an artifact of how close the odds actually are for all these teams - all within a few percentage points of each other. People here really need to realise that while it sucks that our odds are going down a bit ,the difference isn't nearly as big as you all think. Absolute worst case, 3 teams that are all below us win and we end with the 8th overall pick. Unlikely but that's the only case in whcih we get sorta screwed, cause picks 3-7 are all fantastic, as I've discussed on here before.

The common refrain is that if the Wings sucked and lost out, they’d have finished second worst and been guaranteed a top 5 pick no matter what. Now, 5 looks kinda like the best case with a 6 or 7% chance for each of the top 3 picks

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't care. The players can take a long walk off a short pier, because absolutely NOTHING that happens in the final games of the regular season will matter when next October rolls around. It's a brand new year, and there's no such thing as carryover momentum.

The fate of the 2019-20 Red Wings will be more dependent on summer workouts, free agent signings, and half a dozen other factors than whether they "finish well" right now. It's the fake news of the sporting world. And after three quarters of a horrendous season, the payoff of a phenomenal draft pick was within reach...and now they're doing their best to flush that away, so all those other losses just got a whole lot closer to being pointless.

Either be good at being good, or be good at being bad. But this nonsense is just being bad at being bad, which is a waste of time.

To put it into other terms, imagine your employer comes to you and say, hey listen, we are trying to sell this company to a competitor so, we need to cut YOUR salary along with everyone else' so we can make this a more attractive offer to them...

This, in concept is what you'd be asking players and coaches to do here. And again, when you have have players playing as well as they are now, it's important to give as much positive re-enforcement as possible to better the odds of them performing this well on a consistent basis.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Now I kinda hope we win all remaining games and lose the lottery as badly as possible. They can have what they want, as they're clearly good enough to contend without any more talent.

Yeah, no one has ever drafted a talented player at #7 or anything.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Picks 4-8 are going to be such a dice roll on who turns out the best that it’s hard to be upset at the streak. No one is out sucking the Sens, nj has the lottery rabbit foot in Hall. At least we don’t have to be completely embarrassed by this season like kings and Sabres fans.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If we win out and lose the lottery, we won't be drafting 7th.

If things go just poorly enough, we can draft 11th and get our future superstar.

Not that we need one, of course.

There is no guarantee we will win out. And I just randomly chose a draft pick number, 7. Also, Wings are currently 5th worst, farthest they could fall right now is 8 and that's only if 3 teams jump them (which is unlikely).

Also, no one has ever drafted a good player at #11 or later.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
If we win out and lose the lottery, we won't be drafting 7th.

If things go just poorly enough, we can draft 11th and get our future superstar.

Not that we need one, of course. But somebody has to drive the parade car.
Everyone wants to keep winning and dropping down the standings and magically land a star player as good as the top 3 at 7-8-9-10

We can still go way down and throw this season down the toilet after being so close to the bottom for 72 games

What a wonderful season

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Now I kinda hope we win all remaining games and lose the lottery as badly as possible. They can have what they want, as they're clearly good enough to contend without any more talent.

It doesn't go the way you want it to go, so you wish them bad luck? Just for a "Ha, Told ya so".
I hope they win out AND win the lottery. I want my team to do well in all aspects.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Everyone wants to keep winning and dropping down the standings and magically land a star player as good as the top 3 at 7-8-9-10

We can still go way down and throw this season down the toilet after being so close to the bottom for 72 games

What a wonderful season

We should just fold the franchise IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->