2018-19 Tank Tracker (Mod Warning post #724)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Zadina and the 2019 top 5 pick live up to their high draft pick expectations -- and Veleno can be something like a #2 center, the Red Wings will be in very good shape for the future IMO.

Obviously that's a whole bunch of ifs, but that's all a rebuild is, a bunch of ifs until the rebuild is over and the results are known.
No disagreement there. But the point of contention is whether said 2019 pick is top 5 or not. Even if I ignore Hughes and Kakko, comparing something like Cozens/Turcotte as a top 5 pick, versus Krebs/Boldy in the 8-9 range, IMO that's a significant difference.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Man I can't wait until Tuesday.
Same, I'm so sick of all the negative speculation. I'd like to know where we're actually drafting.

It's crazy that our terrible season is being overshadowed by a good month and a half of hockey - November we were good and the second half of March we were good. Outside of that it was pretty much the Dylan Larkin show.

Reactions: Christien

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Man, Valenti is on the radio having a brain aneurysm because Blashill got extended and the kids are producing.

Normally his takes are pretty level headed in my opinion but he is absolutely losing his mind.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Man, Valenti is on the radio having a brain aneurysm because Blashill got extended and the kids are producing.

Normally his takes are pretty level headed in my opinion but he is absolutely losing his mind.
I can see where he could have the misunderstanding on Blashill. If he hasn't watched this season, extending a coach with a lousy record and no previous NHL head coaching experience would seem strange. It's the progress of the kids - not necessarily seen in the standings - that keeps him around.

But I can't say I disagree with him on the winning streak. This franchise needs a stud, and even without Hughes, they're playing their way into more and more dubious territory for landing one of the best handful of players in this draft, especially at center. It's frustrating to be nearly guaranteed a top 5 pick for a good stretch of the season, and then potentially "fall" out of that status in the final 2-3 weeks. If Detroit ends up drafting in the 7-9 range, and all of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Turcotte, and Byram are gone, I'm going to be very disappointed in what would feel like a big missed opportunity.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I can see where he could have the misunderstanding on Blashill. If he hasn't watched this season, extending a coach with a lousy record and no previous NHL head coaching experience would seem strange. It's the progress of the kids - not necessarily seen in the standings - that keeps him around.

But I can't say I disagree with him on the winning streak. This franchise needs a stud, and even without Hughes, they're playing their way into more and more dubious territory for landing one of the best handful of players in this draft, especially at center. It's frustrating to be nearly guaranteed a top 5 pick for a good stretch of the season, and then potentially "fall" out of that status in the final 2-3 weeks. If Detroit ends up drafting in the 7-9 range, and all of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Turcotte, and Byram are gone, I'm going to be very disappointed in what would feel like a big missed opportunity.
I believe there is a difference between disappointment and lambasting Holland for not sitting all the kids because of a winning streak literally nobody would have predicted and getting incensed over it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I believe there is a difference between disappointment and lambasting Holland for not sitting all the kids because of a winning streak literally nobody would have predicted and getting incensed over it.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE HOLALND RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE WINNING STREAK!

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wings are gonna win out and rise to 8th(not 9th one of Vancouver/Edmonton/Anaheim/NYR will do enough to stay ahead)

end up picking 10th

the tiebreaker after ROW is the season series between the two teams

Wings were 3-0 against New Jersey this year

HAHAHAHAHA yeah man, prolly. Cause we'll win the next 3 and still SUCK next year and all year long be one of the worst 3 teams in the league until the last ten games and I'll have to listen to the same posters posting about growth and culture when in reality, and what's actually happening, we'll be an other 5-10th picking team sucking so bad that the hockey is literally almost unwatchable unless you don't mind watching the other team.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE HOLALND RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE WINNING STREAK!

LOL dude, because this winning streak actually means anything other than losing draft position.

GROWTH~!???!?!!?!!?!?

Where was that for 70 games prior or whatever to the win streak. I'm not doubting they're throwing out a rough roster, but Larkin/Howard/Mantha can sit for the season after 70 games imo. Not going to hurt their, "growth for 10 games or whateve.". I'd totally be starting someone like Harri Sateri at goalie, Larking sitting these three games, Mantha and maybe AA too.

I just don't understand the gain from the wins this late. I really don't. Totally don't understand the logic the other way, I border line think you're messing with me, stupid, or maybe I'm totally irrational. As a fan with these wins, I'm legitimately bothered every time.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
LOL dude, because this winning streak actually means anything other than losing draft position.

GROWTH~!???!?!!?!!?!?

Where was that for 70 games prior or whatever to the win streak. I'm not doubting they're throwing out a rough roster, but Larkin/Howard/Mantha can set for the season after 70 games imo. Not going to hurt their, "growth for 10 games or whateve.".

This is spoken like someone who has never been an athlete. Or if you were, you clearly didn’t give a shit about the sport or your brothers/sisters or winning. You want Blashill to lose the team? Start sitting the players who lead the locker room

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

GROWTH~!???!?!!?!!?!?

Where was that for 70 games prior or whatever to the win streak. I'm not doubting they're throwing out a rough roster, but Larkin/Howard/Mantha can sit for the season after 70 games imo. Not going to hurt their, "growth for 10 games or whateve.". I'd totally be starting someone like Harri Sateri at goalie, Larking sitting these three games, Mantha and maybe AA too.

I just don't understand the gain from the wins this late. I really don't. Totally don't understand the logic the other way, I border line think you're messing with me, stupid, or maybe I'm totally irrational. As a fan with these wins, I'm legitimately bothered every time.
This is an extremely narrow minded view that just isn't feasible.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

GROWTH~!???!?!!?!!?!?

You can't just decide to sit players en masse. The league isn't going to give you emergency callups because you don't feel like playing your good players.

If they were hurt, big difference. However, you can't just say "oh, they all happened to get a random owie all at the same time. It's kinda like the Kovalchuk deal. The owners and the league will let you get away with some gamesmanship, but if you do crap like this "Let's sit anyone who's any good to curtail this winning streak we are on", you're going to get hammered.

I would tend to think you are totally irrational, because you are saying for the Wings to do things that no team does. That no organization has ever done. The last game, I bet you see a true emptying of the bench because the league does like giving guys shots in the get away game. Harri Sateri or Kaden Fulcher probably play that game. But even when it's just 3 games, you simply can't say "meh, these mean nothing let's bench everyone!"

It isn't about "gaining something from winning or gaining something from losing". It's playing the damn game, trying your best to win. The Wings lucked into Taro Hirose being a damn good player from the word go and Anthony Mantha eating about a month's worth of Wheaties in a single day. The team is playing to win every game. They probably lost several games earlier in the year that they could/should have won. And a couple of the games this last week, they could easily have lost.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

GROWTH~!???!?!!?!!?!?

Yeah, growth.
The prior 70 games. I watched Abby stink it up, not a kid. I watched Daley stink it up, not a kid, I watched Big E stink it up, not a kid. I watched AA become more engaged in play and become more consistent in play, growth. I watched Larkin transition into a #1 C while leading the team in points, growth. I watched Mantha struggle, break his hand sticking up for a teammate, come back and begin progressing again, growth. I watched Bert transition into a solid first line option, growth. The wins of late, that you don't comprehend, are a continuation of that growth. Instead of laying down and giving up on a dead end season, they are still WORKING.

tl;dr = Vets stunk it up, kids had growth. Growth good, bad vets bad.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Well at least they can all give themselves a pat on the back for """ending the season on a high note."""" it's all about those moral victories, yo.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is spoken like someone who has never been an athlete. Or if you were, you clearly didn’t give a **** about the sport or your brothers/sisters or winning. You want Blashill to lose the team? Start sitting the players who lead the locker room
Blashill isn't losing a darn thing if the team finishes 2-8 down the stretch. The test of wills is already over, once the team has the record they did after 60-65 games. Another 3-4 losses means zip.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Blashill isn't losing a darn thing if the team finishes 2-8 down the stretch. The test of wills is already over, once the team has the record they did after 60-65 games. Another 3-4 losses means zip.

If Blashill walks into the locker room and says “Larks, Double A, Mantha, change into street clothes, you’re done for the year” I can guarantee you he is losing the respect of the team. Don’t misinterpret what I’m saying. This isn’t about wins, but why am I not shocked you tried to make it about wins?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Blashill walks into the locker room and says “Larks, Double A, Mantha, change into street clothes, you’re done for the year” I can guarantee you he is losing the respect of the team. Don’t misinterpret what I’m saying. This isn’t about wins, but why am I not shocked you tried to make it about wins?
And nobody ever suggested that Jeff Blashill should have anything to do with not trying to win.

Holland should bench the players, and the coaches should be furious, because they're hard-wired to win every game, just like the players themselves. But management should care less about wins in March and April than wins in June. If anything, it would further strengthen the locker room, since it would be Everybody vs Holland.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am sure he is sitting Larkin, AA or Mantha if healthy! There is not a coach around that would do that. Only the Pens coach of 83-84 would do that! Only the Sens and Devils have worse rosters on paper right now than us, there is nothing else that can be done, unless you for real (and unrealistically) want us to pull the goalie for half the game to make sure we lose.

Be mad about losing all you want, what else can be done? Half our roster is AHL guys right now, and outsiders would already say that is being done for purposeful tanking. With this roster no one was expecting 1 win, let alone 5 in a row.

The only suggestion I am seeing is, don't play the kids, or sit Larkin and company. The first was clamored for all year, and with losses the expectation with the kids, the second wouldn't happen anywhere, and only knuckleheads think our top guys when healthy are sitting.

DatsMagic

Feb 21, 2017
Mike Valenti doesn't know jack shit about hockey(or any sports for that matter). Anything he says is irrelevant.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mike Valenti doesn't know jack **** about hockey(or any sports for that matter). Anything he says is irrelevant.

Well that’s not true. He likely knows more about sports than you, but it doesn’t mean his opinions are great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->