Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
All the games on Saturday the 12th are free on AHL.TV..

Unfortunately, the Syracuse game starts at the same time our game vs Buffalo does.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Koekkoek trade would seem to result in keeping Matthew Spencer in Orlando as the Lightning organization has added a RHD.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The Koekkoek trade would seem to result in keeping Matthew Spencer in Orlando as the Lightning organization has added a RHD.

Yeah, he is doing well down there but not good enough to be called up to Syracuse. I don't get why they called up Sosunov though as he's behind Gaunce, Masin, Valleau and Labrie on the left side. The right side is really strong now with Foote, Rutta and Thomas. We need to move out a vet status player though to make room for Rutta so I expect someone to go soon.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, he is doing well down there but not good enough to be called up to Syracuse. I don't get why they called up Sosunov though as he's behind Gaunce, Masin, Valleau and Labrie on the left side. The right side is really strong now with Foote, Rutta and Thomas. We need to move out a vet status player though to make room for Rutta so I expect someone to go soon.
Spencer wasn't our top RD. I'd say that was Cody Donaghey, who is recalled. Michael Brodzinski was also good (and is also recalled).

It's sort of hard sometimes for a guy to come in midseason. It's not like you can put them right out there on special teams when they don't know the Bears systems and how Drake wants things done.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Spencer wasn't our top RD. I'd say that was Cody Donaghey, who is recalled. Michael Brodzinski was also good (and is also recalled).

It's sort of hard sometimes for a guy to come in midseason. It's not like you can put them right out there on special teams when they don't know the Bears systems and how Drake wants things done.

I didn't say Spencer was the top RD I just said he's playing a lot down there and should continue to the rest of the year. There's no need to yo yo him between the two teams anymore so now maybe he can get into a nice groove. He needs steady games and minutes and this allows him to do that for the Bears.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Minnesota (Sammy Walker #9 and Ryan Zulsdorf #20) is playing on NBCSN right now, it's the second period.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
I don't watch college hockey so I wouldn't know this stuff but how good is Walker in the NCAA? Is he a top 20 player in the league?

He's a freshman has 4 goals and 11 points in 19 gp. Selected in the 7th round could be another steal. Another one to keep an eye on is Cole Guttman selected in the 6th round of last year has 9 goals 15 points in 18 gp.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't watch college hockey so I wouldn't know this stuff but how good is Walker in the NCAA? Is he a top 20 player in the league?

Not yet. He's very good and so is Guttman but both of them are still kinda young for NCAA standards being teenagers still. The top players are your upperclassmen who are 22-23 already so young men or your high draft picks like Makar, Hughes or Poehling. Both of them need to add weight which is where the NCAA is better than the CHL as they play less games and train more. So if both can bulk up and continue to produce then they could be top 20 players next year and I could see both pishpus for the Hobey Baker in their junior or senior year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I didn't say Spencer was the top RD I just said he's playing a lot down there and should continue to the rest of the year. There's no need to yo yo him between the two teams anymore so now maybe he can get into a nice groove. He needs steady games and minutes and this allows him to do that for the Bears.
I was trying to contextualize your statement for the Lightning/Crunch fans who don't follow the Bears, especially the ones who are of the mindset that any guy sent down is automatically the best guy in the ECHL.

Spencer does play on the top pair with Monfredo and is functionally the top RD right now, but that's a battlefield promotion.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

makes sense except for the LD/RD thing, and what Groulx said. I don't have space to really fit Syracuse in between TB/OSB and a wider survey of hockey, so that's my blind spot. Either go deep or go wide.

...why are there 17 guests looking at this thread?

edit: Brodzinski and Donaghey are coming back to Orlando.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Righty / Lefty. Acquisition of a righty should have no bearing on a LD’s minutes now that the D numbers are balanced. He has to climb above Masin, Gaunce, Labrie, and Valleau. Conversely Foote, Thomas, Spencer, and Rutta compete for minutes. Sosunov and Spencer have to earn their minutes and play well.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How's Katchouk been looking? Stats seem a bit underwhelming, is he still adjusting to pro hockey?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Righty / Lefty. Acquisition of a righty should have no bearing on a LD’s minutes now that the D numbers are balanced. He has to climb above Masin, Gaunce, Labrie, and Valleau. Conversely Foote, Thomas, Spencer, and Rutta compete for minutes. Sosunov and Spencer have to earn their minutes and play well.
If a player is clearly better/more useful than the guy with the 'correct' handedness, they'll get put in the lineup, but I don't see the tier/situations Koekkoek & Rutta fit would be what Sosunov would play. Sosunov, right now, under normal circumstances seems like he'd play like on like the 3rd pair and maybe 2nd PK unit. Rutta is probably more of a big minute, pp guy.

JBB is still the GM of the Crunch, so I'll take what Groulx says over a well-informed twitter take. There's not a lot of layers to cloud things.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sosunov is not better than Valleau or Labrie right now, or anybody for that matter in Syracuse. I'd take Spencer over him too. He should be in Orlando with Spencer because he's not going to be playing much for Syracuse. Though with Rutta coming and being a veteran I can see Syracuse trade Valleau or Labrie for a non veteran forward. Syracuse really could use another top forward because they are a two line team, they need some bottom 6 scoring or to split the lines up a bit.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sosunov is not better than Valleau or Labrie right now, or anybody for that matter in Syracuse. I'd take Spencer over him too. He should be in Orlando with Spencer because he's not going to be playing much for Syracuse. Though with Rutta coming and being a veteran I can see Syracuse trade Valleau or Labrie for a non veteran forward. Syracuse really could use another top forward because they are a two line team, they need some bottom 6 scoring or to split the lines up a bit.
I would agree with the assessment that Spencer is better than Sosunov at the moment.

From an Orlando perspective, plz don't trade Valleau. We liked him down here.

Instead of trading Valleau, could the solution be to send him to Orlando? He was OSB's all-star last year, and we're light on LHD (and the youngest team in the league). The Crunch could PTO a guy since there are not many AHL contracts that exist in the first place.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would agree with the assessment that Spencer is better than Sosunov at the moment.

From an Orlando perspective, plz don't trade Valleau. We liked him down here.

Instead of trading Valleau, could the solution be to send him to Orlando? He was OSB's all-star last year, and we're light on LHD (and the youngest team in the league). The Crunch could PTO a guy since there are not many AHL contracts that exist in the first place.

The problem is Valleau seems too good for the ECHL so would suck for him to be sent down or be a healthy scratch. I think he could be a good piece for a team and get us a nice forward back. Valleau will lose his PP2 spot to Rutta most likely so his minutes and production will go down and now is the time to move him if we can. Labrie could be sent down but would be better just to send Sosunov.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The problem is Valleau seems too good for the ECHL so would suck for him to be sent down or be a healthy scratch. I think he could be a good piece for a team and get us a nice forward back. Valleau will lose his PP2 spot to Rutta most likely so his minutes and production will go down and now is the time to move him if we can. Labrie could be sent down but would be better just to send Sosunov.
I wouldn't say he was 'too good'. I've seen Jason Blake (IHL) and Garret Sparks with the Solar Bears who were a class above, and I've seen guys like Valleau and Donaghey who can be top pair defensemen. Donaghey has 9 goals already this season and it's not like the Bears can't get by without him. Even Archambault as an opponent I'd give that assessment to. He's not out of the ECHL talent range.

Ethan Werek and to an extent Tyler Biggs were both 'too talented' for the ECHL during the brief time they were with Orlando, but Biggs still ended up being a K-Wing for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->