• St Louis Blues

• Dallas Stars

• Colorado Avalanche

Results are only viewable after voting.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, but they actually produced in the playoffs (for the most part; some down years when they went with a defensive system). They just didn't have any team success.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, but they actually produced in the playoffs (for the most part; some down years went they went with a defensive system). They just didn't have any team success.

Gaudreau and Monahan have produced in the playoffs in 2015 (moreso Johnny), and Monahan was a goal per game in 2017.

I think the focus on individuals is misguided. If the team plays better, everyone's production will follow. We essentially saw the team in a collective slump this playoffs.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau and Monahan have produced in the playoffs in 2015 (moreso Johnny), and Monahan was a goal per game in 2017.

I think the focus on individuals is misguided. If the team plays better, everyone's production will follow. We essentially saw the team in a collective slump this playoffs.

Produce is only a small part
Monahan chickened out and played with no heart. He contributed nothing. Even no talent plug like hathaway was better

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The team had about a 40% CF in this series. It's not as if the depth was amazing and the top line was so bad we lost the entire team played like garbage and I think most of the blame should go to the top 4 for playing so passively and letting the Avalanche dictate every single game.

Did Hamonic break up a single zone entry? Did Hanifin have a useful pinch all series? Gio also played scared until almost the end of the series, despite his awful giveaways I think Brodie actually played the style we should've been playing and contained MacKinnon well when he was on him.

They do the exact same shit against the Oilers which is why they don't look as shitty against us, the team realizes McDavid could burn you so they just back off no matter who is carrying the puck in.

Two minor examples really stood out to me about how passive we played. One was an Avs player (Nieto or Kerfoot) entering the zone 1 vs 3 and establishing possession letting the Avalanche cycle for most of their next shift. Idgaf if that's MacKinnon it's a 1 vs 3 put 2 guys on him and get the puck before his linemates show up.
The other was when 4 flames watched an Avs player walk into the zone and ring it and change and let Soderberg get to the puck somehow, which doesn't happen if you just don't allow a guy to come in 1 vs 4 or just skate to get the goddamn puck.

Also while I think Brodie is going to get traded I'd much rather trade one of the 2nd pair, Brodies giveaways were bad, Hamonic and Hanifin were atrocious. They got dummied this entire series even worse than the average Flame, I don't think Hamonic is going to age well, he looked like Kris Rusell without the offence he had in Calgary. Hanifin is a dumb player and I highly doubt he ever justifies his draft position or gets much better, Ideally they move him while his value is still extremely high. I mean be took a delay of game penalty with 2 minutes left in a tied games with one forchecker on him and no one bats an eye, last year Hamilton takes a crosschecking trying to stand up for Gio and everyone wanted his blood.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The team had about a 40% CF in this series. It's not as if the depth was amazing and the top line was so bad we lost the entire team played like garbage and I think most of the blame should go to the top 4 for playing so passively and letting the Avalanche dictate every single game.

Did Hamonic break up a single zone entry? Did Hanifin have a useful pinch all series? Gio also played scared until almost the end of the series, despite his awful giveaways I think Brodie actually played the style we should've been playing and contained MacKinnon well when he was on him.

They do the exact same **** against the Oilers which is why they don't look as ****ty against us, the team realizes McDavid could burn you so they just back off no matter who is carrying the puck in.

Two minor examples really stood out to me about how passive we played. One was an Avs player (Nieto or Kerfoot) entering the zone 1 vs 3 and establishing possession letting the Avalanche cycle for most of their next shift. Idgaf if that's MacKinnon it's a 1 vs 3 put 2 guys on him and get the puck before his linemates show up.
The other was when 4 flames watched an Avs player walk into the zone and ring it and change and let Soderberg get to the puck somehow, which doesn't happen if you just don't allow a guy to come in 1 vs 4 or just skate to get the goddamn puck.

Also while I think Brodie is going to get traded I'd much rather trade one of the 2nd pair, Brodies giveaways were bad, Hamonic and Hanifin were atrocious. They got dummied this entire series even worse than the average Flame, I don't think Hamonic is going to age well, he looked like Kris Rusell without the offence he had in Calgary. Hanifin is a dumb player and I highly doubt he ever justifies his draft position or gets much better, Ideally they move him while his value is still extremely high. I mean be took a delay of game penalty with 2 minutes left in a tied games with one forchecker on him and no one bats an eye, last year Hamilton takes a crosschecking trying to stand up for Gio and everyone wanted his blood.

Been saying it over and over again that Hamonic is the one that should go between Brodie and himself. While I absolutely hate Brodie’s style of play visually, hammer is gonna age awfully and was arguably the worst dman in a series that relied on speed. Not a guy who you want playing top pairing minutes if Andersson doesn’t pan out.

Hanifin was pretty awful too, but I don’t think we should move him tbh.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

How do you get the team to ‘play better’ with the same roster though? This implies it’s a coaching problem which I don’t think is what you’re suggesting.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How do you get the team to ‘play better’ with the same roster though? This implies it’s a coaching problem which I don’t think is what you’re suggesting.
It's essentially like asking "how do you get the die to roll better?" The thing that makes sports worth watching as a fan is exactly why this mentality is flawed: there is a great deal of variance in how a group of players plays, such that:

1) You cannot expect to predict whether results will improve or get worse based on even the most obviously beneficial or detrimental management moves.
2) Success can fluctuate even when no moves are made.

As proof of this, we see teams get better on paper but play tangibly worse (Calgary before and after the 2015 off-season), we see teams look awful and great in the same season with no significant changes (Colorado), and we see teams get apparently worse, but play better and have more success (Washington last season).

I think for a team with a young core that just got its first taste of being labelled a contender, it's a good idea to just let the players learn their lessons. I guess it comes down to whether we truly think that the way we played in this 5-game series actually represented the capabilities of this team, or whether it represents the worst possible version of the team. I'm personally of the opinion that small sample size playoff series are a terrible way to evaluate teams (I've expressed resentment at the idea of applying labels to teams based on playoff results for years), and that good teams, if good enough for long enough, figure out how to win in the playoffs eventually. Realistically, I think it's pretty difficult to find any examples of teams that do a lot of winning every year but don't win at all in the playoffs, so I'm pretty confident that if we have the same sort of season next year, we'll see a different playoff performance from this group. All of the common ones that people enjoyed mocking from the last decade eventually broke through and had a run (San Jose, Washington, St. Louis, etc.).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Flames lost this series because Monahan and Gaudreau were awful and did not produce. It’s as simple as this, Treliving needs to ask if Monahan was healthy or hurt and then evaluate whether or not he’s capable of being a 1C that can win a Cup. I don’t think he is. I think you either need to add a C better than Monahan and slot him as our 2C or trade for a Stamkos and potentially use Monahan + as your pieces to get him.

Gaudreau isn’t getting off the hook at all either. But I don’t think it’s a winning formula to rely on a winger to generate all of our offence, especially one who can somewhat be neutralized in the playoffs by playing him a certain way. I would also look at moving Gaudreau if we can land a stud C.

The Avs best players slaughtered ours and that’s why we lost.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames lost this series because Monahan and Gaudreau were awful and did not produce. It’s as simple as this, Treliving needs to ask if Monahan was healthy or hurt and then evaluate whether or not he’s capable of being a 1C that can win a Cup. I don’t think he is. I think you either need to add a C better than Monahan and slot him as our 2C or trade for a Stamkos and potentially use Monahan + as your pieces to get him.

Gaudreau isn’t getting off the hook at all either. But I don’t think it’s a winning formula to rely on a winger to generate all of our offence, especially one who can somewhat be neutralized in the playoffs by playing him a certain way. I would also look at moving Gaudreau if we can land a stud C.

The Avs best players slaughtered ours and that’s why we lost.

I think that's a bit of an over-simplification. The Flames were not only beaten when one of the two top lines were on the ice. They were pretty bad for long stretches of each game regardless of personnel. In my opinion, the massive disparity in production between the top players on each team was a symptom of the way the two teams were playing, not the root cause.

Reactions: Dack

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Also Colorado is much deeper than people think. Jost is on their 4th line most of the time for crying out loud.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think that's a bit of an over-simplification. The Flames were not only beaten when one of the two top lines were on the ice. They were pretty bad for long stretches of each game regardless of personnel. In my opinion, the massive disparity in production between the top players on each team was a symptom of the way the two teams were playing, not the root cause.

Well their topline scored 25 points, vs 6 points for ours. You aren’t going to win any series when your top guys are no shows and you’re opponents are having their way with them.

And it wasn’t just this series, Johnny and Mony have been cold for 2 months now and they ended last season the same way. I’m not suggesting to trade everyone, but it’s information management has that they need to evaluate.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well their topline scored 25 points, vs 6 points for ours. You aren’t going to win any series when your top guys are no shows and you’re opponents are having their way with them.

And it wasn’t just this series, Johnny and Mony have been cold for 2 months now and they ended last season the same way. I’m not suggesting to trade everyone, but it’s information management has that they need to evaluate.

There's something about this team that has them not playing well post All Star Break.

If any of our players make it to that dumb game, I would rather they decline and take the 1 game suspension and focus on practicing with the team.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Even with Jones overall poor play and the Avs domination of us, there hasn't been a single game this season where Smith has played close to Jones level during game 6 of the SJS-VGK series, and like wise even the worst game we played against the Avalanche wasn't close to how badly outplayed the Sharks were in game 6...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even with Jones overall poor play and the Avs domination of us, there hasn't been a single game this season where Smith has played close to Jones level during game 6 of the SJS-VGK series, and like wise even the worst game we played against the Avalanche wasn't close to how badly outplayed the Sharks were in game 6...
I mean, Smith literally couldn't have done better than Game 1.

Also, yeah, that's kind of the way things go. In the two overtime losses to the Avs, we had point-blank chances to win in OT in spite of the way we played. Kind of funny to think that we could very well have been going into Game 5 up 3-1.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
HatefulWillingGrunion-size_restricted.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I think they have 1 strike left and they are out? or BT is out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad