2018-19 Season Outcome

What outcome would you want to see?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers missing the playoffs and chiarelli being fired could be better in the long term than Oilers making the playoffs in one season and chiarelli continuing to implode the team with shockingly dumb trades. Personally I'd take playoffs because I'm young enough to enjoy the fun, vs lwaiting longer for a better outcome. But I can see a justifiable case for the second option

You can think of it as Oilers missing the playoffs, firing chiarello and hiring the next yzerman. Vs making playoffs, getting swept and being stuck with chiarelli

I cannot justify in any way, shape or form the Oilers failing just to see Chiarelli be fired. Youve already written them off as getting swept and we will be hiring the next Yzerman. I am glad so many crystal balls are in good working order in this forum! Can you give me the lotto max numbers please? :sarcasm::D

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough. Just meant it as a tease. Sorry if I offended you.
I sensed that but got a little bent out of shape, so I apologize. It’s hard to be called an idiot by being a season ticket holder and it’s got me riled lately. I wasn’t when they were in real threat of being moved but because I love having them here, I give thanks for everyone who “wasted” their money on season tickets and don’t think them fools.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
If your desire to see Chiarelli fired overrides your desire to see to the team succeed. You are no longer a fan.
If the two are mutually exclusive, then yes. I have zero faith left that he will not continue to hurt us for longer periods of time the longer he is in charge. That’s a belief and thus, by being a fan, I think it’s best for the team. It doesn’t mean I hate the man so much that if he proved capable, I wouldn’t be esctatic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sorry but there are a few here who want the Oilers to fail under Chiarelli, it is that simple..

No, many of us expect the Oilers to fail under Chia. I've not heard a single person express the sentiment you claim they hold.

The blinding rage some have here for Chiarelli is palpable. To date 25% of pollsters who replied want to actually see the Oilers fail so they can see Chiarelli be fired, and then of course they will begin to dump on the next GM.

10 posters and I wonder how many of them were paying close attention to the question.

The trade was not bad at the time it was made. That was the market for Taylor Hall.
If that's the market then you don't tarde him. Pretty straightforward.

I have discussed it ad nauseam here and I don't expect anyone to change my mind and I don't expect anyone to change theirs. Hall to his credit removed his head from his ass this year and played hockey. But of course Halls head up his ass was the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault and its the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault for failing to find a way to remove said head from ass

Hall deserves credit for wanting to stick around even after it became clear (probably around the third 1OV pick) this org hasn't a clue. They still don't.

He will likely win the Most Valuable Player to the Team Which Was Not Expected to Make the Playoffs But Got Eliminated in the First Round With Barely a Whimper Trophy (formerly known as the Hart Trophy but now co-opted by the media into a complete and utter joke). Good for him and cue the Chiarelli haters when the trophy is awarded

Versus the Most Valuable Player to a Team That Was Out by American Thanksgiving?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
If it meant keeping Chia on to make the playoffs next year so be it... I just want playoffs and a good team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No, many of us expect the Oilers to fail under Chia. I've not heard a single person express the sentiment you claim they hold.

You haven’t read the 400+ page Fire Chia trainwreck very closely then.

>>>If that's the market then you don't tarde him. Pretty straightforward.<<<

Hall was worn out from the losing and his attitude (by his own admission) was not good. He had to go and we did well in the trade at the time. Did we win? Not last year but it looked good the year prior and believe it will continue to do so.

>>>Hall deserves credit for wanting to stick around even after it became clear (probably around the third 1OV pick) this org hasn't a clue. They still don't.<<<

I don’t disagree with that.

>>>Versus the Most Valuable Player to a Team That Was Out by American Thanksgiving?<<<

No, the media has decided that in order to win the Hart, the most valuable player to his team, you must be a playoff team. So they discount completely the performance of players on half the teams in the league automatically. In other words players on non playoff teams have no value, which is the stupidest thing the media has ever come up with.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I have. I stand by my statement that no one seriously wants the Oilers to fail just to see Chia out.

Hall was worn out from the losing and his attitude (by his own admission) was not good. He had to go and we did well in the trade at the time. Did we win? Not last year but it looked good the year prior and believe it will continue to do so.

I think they could have taken a year to see what a team with a healthy McDavid and Klefbom could do. That trade would have still been there. IMO the timing of the trade was driven more by external factors (the availability of Chia's pet Lucic, the pressure from ownership to have a strong season in the new arena) than any real hockey reason.

Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

>>>If that's the market then you don't tarde him. Pretty straightforward.<<<

>>>Hall deserves credit for wanting to stick around even after it became clear (probably around the third 1OV pick) this org hasn't a clue. They still don't.<<<

I don’t disagree with that.

>>>Versus the Most Valuable Player to a Team That Was Out by American Thanksgiving?<<<

No, the media has decided that in order to win the Hart, the most valuable player to his team, you must be a playoff team. So they discount completely the performance of players on half the teams in the league automatically. In other words players on non playoff teams have no value, which is the stupidest thing the media has ever come up with.
Just thought I’d comment on what you posted about the Oilers needing to wait until the market was better for Hall before they traded him.

We’ve seen enough examples of that not working or things actually getting worse. Hemsky couldn’t be dealt through at least two trade deadlines because he always managed to get himself hurt before the deadline. By the end his value fell off the map and we got nothing.

Eberle’s value had been dropping for years. I’d argue Chiarelli waited a year too long before he dealt him. His bad year and horrible playoffs sunk his value even lower. He played himself into a cap dump.

Players value can continue to drop year after year if things have gone wrong for them. There is no guarantee a player will “pull his head out of his ass” as you stated with Hall? There was no guarantee he wouldn’t keep getting progressively worse here on a team that was so poorly balanced. He pulled the chute on the team the last we saw him here after McDavid came back from injury. Who knows where his head would have been at starting the next year here, still on a bad team. He had a terrible first year in New Jersey. What would another year like that have done to his value?

The deal was made and we’re at where we’re at. People need to move on already. At least we got a solid defenseman who helps the team for him. We may not have gotten that much a year later.

Reactions: Night Witch

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Just thought I’d comment on what you posted about the Oilers needing to wait until the market was better for Hall before they traded him.

FTR he was quoting me, so I'll respond.

We’ve seen enough examples of that not working or things actually getting worse. Hemsky couldn’t be dealt through at least two trade deadlines because he always managed to get himself hurt before the deadline. By the end his value fell off the map and we got nothing.

Eberle’s value had been dropping for years. I’d argue Chiarelli waited a year too long before he dealt him. His bad year and horrible playoffs sunk his value even lower. He played himself into a cap dump.

To be blunt, this is b.s. Eberle had one season off his career norms before 16-17. Anyone could see he was prime to bounce back.

Players value can continue to drop year after year if things have gone wrong for them. There is no guarantee a player will “pull his head out of his ass” as you stated with Hall? There was no guarantee he wouldn’t keep getting progressively worse here on a team that was so poorly balanced.

A 24 year old in the prime of his career coming off his (at that point) second best season by the numbers is probably not going to get worse.

He pulled the chute on the team the last we saw him here after McDavid came back from injury.

Narrative.

Who knows where his head would have been at starting the next year here, still on a bad team. He had a terrible first year in New Jersey. What would another year like that have done to his value?

His bad year in New Jersey was, by his own admission, a direct result of the trade so to argue that he would have had a similar year in Edmonton ignores some rather important context.

The deal was made and we’re at where we’re at. People need to move on already. At least we got a solid defenseman who helps the team for him. We may not have gotten that much a year later.

Or we could have got much more. The fact we traded an asset like Hall for a D man and are now apparently looking at moving out more assets to fix the D should tell everyone how bad a deal it was.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have. I stand by my statement that no one seriously wants the Oilers to fail just to see Chia out.

I think they could have taken a year to see what a team with a healthy McDavid and Klefbom could do. That trade would have still been there. IMO the timing of the trade was driven more by external factors (the availability of Chia's pet Lucic, the pressure from ownership to have a strong season in the new arena) than any real hockey reason.

I have to respectfully disagree as to the motivation of the Hall trade. Could they have waited, sure but that’s 20/20 hindsight.

Hall was reborn this off season and good on him for shoving it up Chias arse.

Anyway I believe this season will bring
a rebound as picks and players mature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad