2018-19 Season Outcome

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by OilerSuperstar17, May 7, 2018.

?

What outcome would you want to see?

1. Oilers make playoffs; Chia stays GM

82.0%
  2. Oilers miss playoffs; Chia fired

18.0%
View Users: View Users
  1. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg Registered User Sponsor

None
    I cannot justify in any way, shape or form the Oilers failing just to see Chiarelli be fired. Youve already written them off as getting swept and we will be hiring the next Yzerman. I am glad so many crystal balls are in good working order in this forum! Can you give me the lotto max numbers please? :sarcasm::D

2. KingKhron

KingKhron Registered User

I sensed that but got a little bent out of shape, so I apologize. It’s hard to be called an idiot by being a season ticket holder and it’s got me riled lately. I wasn’t when they were in real threat of being moved but because I love having them here, I give thanks for everyone who “wasted” their money on season tickets and don’t think them fools.

3. KingKhron

KingKhron Registered User

If the two are mutually exclusive, then yes. I have zero faith left that he will not continue to hurt us for longer periods of time the longer he is in charge. That’s a belief and thus, by being a fan, I think it’s best for the team. It doesn’t mean I hate the man so much that if he proved capable, I wouldn’t be esctatic.

4. Little Fury

Little Fury Registered User

No, many of us expect the Oilers to fail under Chia. I've not heard a single person express the sentiment you claim they hold.

10 posters and I wonder how many of them were paying close attention to the question.

If that's the market then you don't tarde him. Pretty straightforward.

Hall deserves credit for wanting to stick around even after it became clear (probably around the third 1OV pick) this org hasn't a clue. They still don't.

Versus the Most Valuable Player to a Team That Was Out by American Thanksgiving?

5. Weitz

Weitz Registered User

If it meant keeping Chia on to make the playoffs next year so be it... I just want playoffs and a good team.

6. SourOil

SourOil Registered User

Don't care. Just win.

7. McFlash97

McFlash97 Registered User

ill add one more to this, Chia gets promoted CO-CEO position with Nicholson. McTavish comes back as President and GM this time.

8. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

None
    You haven’t read the 400+ page Fire Chia trainwreck very closely then.

>>>If that's the market then you don't tarde him. Pretty straightforward.<<<

Hall was worn out from the losing and his attitude (by his own admission) was not good. He had to go and we did well in the trade at the time. Did we win? Not last year but it looked good the year prior and believe it will continue to do so.

>>>Hall deserves credit for wanting to stick around even after it became clear (probably around the third 1OV pick) this org hasn't a clue. They still don't.<<<

I don’t disagree with that.

>>>Versus the Most Valuable Player to a Team That Was Out by American Thanksgiving?<<<

No, the media has decided that in order to win the Hart, the most valuable player to his team, you must be a playoff team. So they discount completely the performance of players on half the teams in the league automatically. In other words players on non playoff teams have no value, which is the stupidest thing the media has ever come up with.

rboomercat90 likes this.
  9. Little Fury

I have. I stand by my statement that no one seriously wants the Oilers to fail just to see Chia out.

I think they could have taken a year to see what a team with a healthy McDavid and Klefbom could do. That trade would have still been there. IMO the timing of the trade was driven more by external factors (the availability of Chia's pet Lucic, the pressure from ownership to have a strong season in the new arena) than any real hockey reason.

Aerrol likes this.
  10. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

Just thought I’d comment on what you posted about the Oilers needing to wait until the market was better for Hall before they traded him.

We’ve seen enough examples of that not working or things actually getting worse. Hemsky couldn’t be dealt through at least two trade deadlines because he always managed to get himself hurt before the deadline. By the end his value fell off the map and we got nothing.

Eberle’s value had been dropping for years. I’d argue Chiarelli waited a year too long before he dealt him. His bad year and horrible playoffs sunk his value even lower. He played himself into a cap dump.

Players value can continue to drop year after year if things have gone wrong for them. There is no guarantee a player will “pull his head out of his ass” as you stated with Hall? There was no guarantee he wouldn’t keep getting progressively worse here on a team that was so poorly balanced. He pulled the chute on the team the last we saw him here after McDavid came back from injury. Who knows where his head would have been at starting the next year here, still on a bad team. He had a terrible first year in New Jersey. What would another year like that have done to his value?

The deal was made and we’re at where we’re at. People need to move on already. At least we got a solid defenseman who helps the team for him. We may not have gotten that much a year later.

Night Witch likes this.
  11. Little Fury

FTR he was quoting me, so I'll respond.

To be blunt, this is b.s. Eberle had one season off his career norms before 16-17. Anyone could see he was prime to bounce back.

A 24 year old in the prime of his career coming off his (at that point) second best season by the numbers is probably not going to get worse.

Narrative.

His bad year in New Jersey was, by his own admission, a direct result of the trade so to argue that he would have had a similar year in Edmonton ignores some rather important context.

Or we could have got much more. The fact we traded an asset like Hall for a D man and are now apparently looking at moving out more assets to fix the D should tell everyone how bad a deal it was.

Aerrol likes this.
  12. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

None
    I have to respectfully disagree as to the motivation of the Hall trade. Could they have waited, sure but that’s 20/20 hindsight.

Hall was reborn this off season and good on him for shoving it up Chias arse.

Anyway I believe this season will bring
    a rebound as picks and players mature.