2018-19 Season Outcome

What outcome would you want to see?

• Total voters

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Sorry, but did I just read you want Chiarelli gone in hope that it increase the resale value of your tickets long term.

:sarcasm:The other tiered fans aren't going to feel much sympathy there. :naughty:
No, that was an aside actually. Other tiered... good lord, I’ve been a labourer for a decade, I’m not a bloody doctor. Such a tired argument on here(not meant to actually accuse you of a history of it) that I’ve spoken enough about. I care about the enjoyment I extract from the team when I know there’s no care for me from them other than commercial. I simply meant that after losing money for a decade because I can’t afford to go to every single game, a year reprieve was nice. I hardly got rich, trust me. Save the financial resentment for the Katz Group and Ticketmaster.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Sorry, but did I just read you want Chiarelli gone in hope that it increase the resale value of your tickets long term.

:sarcasm:The other tiered fans aren't going to feel much sympathy there. :naughty:
And that was a fairly blatant attempt to cherry pick from what I felt was a primarily fan based post.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What if I want to see Chiarelli fired SO the team can succeed?
Again, that's about you.

The point I made is the same, If you want to see the GM fire MORE then you want the team do Succeed, you are no longer a fan. Keith, you are no fan of Chiarelli, but you don't Want team to fail to achieve that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Again, that's about you.

The point I made is the same, If you want to see the GM fire MORE then you want the team do Succeed, you are no longer a fan. Keith, you are no fan of Chiarelli, but you don't Want team to fail to achieve that.
No I sure don't. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong and have the team go on to win the Cup next year but the roster put forth doesn't inspire much confidence.

Reactions: Aerrol

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'm just hoping we see the Winnipeg Jets scenario.... promising playoff run, followed up by a stink year where they fell back down and out of the playoffs, followed by an exceptional year where everyone hit their mark... At this time last year people wanted Maurice fired, were wondering what Chevy was doing, question marks everywhere... Now look. MAYBE this can happen for the Oil too. (Though I have my doubts given the horrid roster and zero depth).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well be better next year. We had really, really bad puck luck to start the season and that crushed us. When we started to get the bounces mid way thru the season, we were already out of it. I think well push for a playoff spot and hopefully get it. I also think teams played us way harder due to actually taking us seriously and found all our weaknesses and the players werent able to respond that well. I think next year the player will be used to this and will adapt. I also think the D core will look noticeably better next season with a healthy Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera, plus Nurse continuing to step up and Benning rebounding after a lackluster sophmore season. I was pretty correct is calling the team to take a step back this season in the last offseason, hopefully this prediction is also correct

Other random predictions for the fun of it
Positive:
Puljujarvi scores 25
RNH gets a few selke votes
Talbot has a .922 save pct
Jones makes the team out of camp

Negative:
Bear does not look nearly as solid next season and fans pile on him. He gets sent back to AHL
Lucic continues to regress into a pile of dust
Draisaitl struggles to get 65 points

I write this on 5/15/18 with the team we have currently. Prediction subject to change after any bonehead moves

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If your desire to see Chiarelli fired overrides your desire to see to the team succeed. You are no longer a fan.

For me the desire to see the team do well fuels the Chiarelli hate. I cheer for the team, not the GM. GMs come and go, I dont get attached and calling a spade a spade is better than acting like every move a GM makes is smart

I would love to be proven completely wrong and all the moves I think are bad to turn out to be incredibly smart moves in the end. If Russell was a complete beast, Strome turned into a top level 3c and Lucic scored 30 goals and the Oilers made the playoffs/went for a run- I would eat all the crow on HF, but first id be on Jasper Ave celebrating

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If the question was changed to- would you rather see the Oilers compete for the playoffs all year and miss and Chiarelli stay on, or the Oilers finish deadlast and Chiarelli get fired- then I might pick the second option. Long term that is the better outcome and playoffs is all that matters to me. Better to cut ties asap and find the right GM who will be here long term.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Some people here are blinded by a mindless hatred and an undying loyalty to Taylor Hall.

When like 95% of neutral fans and hockey observers say the trade was really bad- I think thats a signal you have homer glasses on and need to revaluate things

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When like 95% of neutral fans and hockey observers say the trade was really bad- I think thats a signal you have homer glasses on and need to revaluate things

Sorry but there are a few here who want the Oilers to fail under Chiarelli, it is that simple. The blinding rage some have here for Chiarelli is palpable. To date 25% of pollsters who replied want to actually see the Oilers fail so they can see Chiarelli be fired, and then of course they will begin to dump on the next GM.

The trade was not bad at the time it was made. That was the market for Taylor Hall. I have discussed it ad nauseam here and I don't expect anyone to change my mind and I don't expect anyone to change theirs. Hall to his credit removed his head from his ass this year and played hockey. But of course Halls head up his ass was the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault and its the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault for failing to find a way to remove said head from ass.

He will likely win the Most Valuable Player to the Team Which Was Not Expected to Make the Playoffs But Got Eliminated in the First Round With Barely a Whimper Trophy (formerly known as the Hart Trophy but now co-opted by the media into a complete and utter joke). Good for him and cue the Chiarelli haters when the trophy is awarded.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I can help you put them back in if you like. ;):)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Night Witch

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sorry but there are a few here who want the Oilers to fail under Chiarelli, it is that simple. The blinding rage some have here for Chiarelli is palpable. To date 25% of pollsters who replied want to actually see the Oilers fail so they can see Chiarelli be fired, and then of course they will begin to dump on the next GM.

The trade was not bad at the time it was made. That was the market for Taylor Hall. I have discussed it ad nauseam here and I don't expect anyone to change my mind and I don't expect anyone to change theirs. Hall to his credit removed his head from his ass this year and played hockey. But of course Halls head up his ass was the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault and its the Oilers (Chiarellis) fault for failing to find a way to remove said head from ass.

He will likely win the Most Valuable Player to the Team Which Was Not Expected to Make the Playoffs But Got Eliminated in the First Round With Barely a Whimper Trophy (formerly known as the Hart Trophy but now co-opted by the media into a complete and utter joke). Good for him and cue the Chiarelli haters when the trophy is awarded.

Oilers missing the playoffs and chiarelli being fired could be better in the long term than Oilers making the playoffs in one season and chiarelli continuing to implode the team with shockingly dumb trades. Personally I'd take playoffs because I'm young enough to enjoy the fun, vs lwaiting longer for a better outcome. But I can see a justifiable case for the second option

You can think of it as Oilers missing the playoffs, firing chiarello and hiring the next yzerman. Vs making playoffs, getting swept and being stuck with chiarelli

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Oh good Lord.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Oilers in the playoffs next year, I don't care if a murderer is the GM. (I mean, we did have one but that's another thing entirely)

And Hall probably did have his head up his ass. He was christened Jesus by the media, fans, and management and nothing was done to support the kid. When the inevitable trade came he naturally didn't have the value we hoped he had and Chiarelli sold him for pennies on the dollar. I recognize that the trade was a necessary evil but it was still a shit trade that didn't get us the value back we would've liked. And this was a summer after he made an even stupider trade.... And then deciding that wasn't enough, the summer after the best season the Oilers have had in a very long time, he makes another stupid trade. Three summers in a row with questionable trades in which he failed to get value for picks and our two best wingers.

And the bolded is such a pointless comment. It's just salt because a player the Oilers traded flourished on another team (something that has happened a lot lately). If Hall wins the Hart trophy he 100% deserves it. Yes, even more than McDavid. He essentially did the exact same thing McDavid did last year. As this year has shown us, even McDavid playing better than he did last year was not good enough to get us to the playoffs. His team failed him, especially the players that were acquired by Chiarelli.

Lucic, Talbot, Kassian, Larsson, Sekera.... All players acquired by the GM in charge and all had terrible to mediocre years. Which wouldn't be so bad if most of them weren't signed for a long time.

So the Oilers go into next year with a mediocre defense, no wingers whatsoever, and suspect goaltending. Chiarelli has a lot to fix and based on his work in what should have been the easiest offseason he's ever had, I somehow doubt that he's going to work some magic and fix the holes that not only haven't been patched since his hiring, but those he actually created.

Peter Chiarelli was given a golden ticket and he lost in the sewer on his way home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad