Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
so sounds like we're getting several guys back this weekend. Assuming Rowney, Getzlaf, Kase, and Silfverberg are all back, I think it's time to send Lundestrom back. Kid is more ready than Steel and Terry, but i'd send him back personally. I'd send Terry and Steel down as well.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Street-Rowney-Gibbons

Edit: When Ritchie's visa is worked out, I see him replacing Street. I just can't see them sending Comtois back, even though I definitely wouldn't mind it.
Personally I’d go with

Rakell-Getzlaf-Kase
Comtois-Henrique-Silfverberg (this line needs to stay together)
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves

Reactions: Mallard

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
so sounds like we're getting several guys back this weekend. Assuming Rowney, Getzlaf, Kase, and Silfverberg are all back, I think it's time to send Lundestrom back. Kid is more ready than Steel and Terry, but i'd send him back personally. I'd send Terry and Steel down as well.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Street-Rowney-Gibbons

Edit: When Ritchie's visa is worked out, I see him replacing Street. I just can't see them sending Comtois back, even though I definitely wouldn't mind it.

Looks good to me. I would consider keeping Steel, just because I think he makes a big difference on the PP. Maybe something like this:

Henrique/Getzlaf/Rakell
Silf/Kesler/Sherwood
Ritchie/Steel/Kase
Cogs/Rowney/Gibbons

Street

Reactions: Vipers31

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Toward the end of the preseason, we played a 4th line of Comtois / Lundestrom / Gibbons. I think we should eventually run something similar. Two fast fore-checkers and a shooter. Having a shooter on our 4th line just adds a whole new dimension to it.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Gibbons

If we really want to keep Comtois up, I'd go with...

Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Comtois-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Rowney-Sherwood

I think Kase played too well with Rico to split them up.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm really not sure what to think about Eaves coming back at some point. While I'm happy he's fully healthy given the scare last season, I can't help but feel there isn't space for him on the roster and he's more likely to be an anchor than a help when he does get back into the team.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I'm really not sure what to think about Eaves coming back at some point. While I'm happy he's fully healthy given the scare last season, I can't help but feel there isn't space for him on the roster and he's more likely to be an anchor than a help when he does get back into the team.

I'm not sure I see him being an anchor. I could see him not having what it takes to succeed in a scoring role though. But at worst, I think he could have a solid veteran presence on a checking line. That was the bread and butter of his game before his break-out season.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
I'm not sure I see him being an anchor. I could see him not having what it takes to succeed in a scoring role though. But at worst, I think he could have a solid veteran presence on a checking line. That was the bread and butter of his game before his break-out season.
If he's serviceable on a checking line then that's the best Anaheim can hope for, Eaves being useful on the top line this season is a pipedream imo.

My worry with Eaves is that outside of basically 16/17 he's been a 15g/30p checking forward his entire career who has already struggled with an absolute ton of injuries to date and now has missed a whole year of hockey at age 33/34 and checking forwards are players who typically seem to be affected more by physical decline than say a skilled player as they have less 'talent' that they can fall back on when their body is on the decline (see Perry who despite having no legs out there still manages 45-50 points).

I don't want to see any Anaheim player do badly, I just have pretty big concerns if Eaves can really be a contributor when he's back.

Reactions: Paul4587

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I thought silf broke a finger? Is he supposed to be back already?

I took Murray's comments as it's a playable injury. He mentioned that they already made some modifications to his glove to protect it and that it was about pain tolerance. sounded like he was going to play this weekend. Though since they only sent DeLeo back so far, might not be getting as many back as I thought. Might be only Getzlaf.

Personally I’d go with

Rakell-Getzlaf-Kase
Comtois-Henrique-Silfverberg (this line needs to stay together)
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves

I should have mentioned that I didn't have Ritchie in there because I didn't think he'd be in lineup that quick. Murray insinuated that he needed some time. Since we've been winning, I'm not expecting to see Ritchie in lineup this weekend.

I like Comtois with Getzlaf, because I think Getz plays well with one skilled guy, and one guy who's solid on forecheck, but has some finishing ability. Think prime Beleskey or Kunitz. Plus, I think Rico+Kase were money together last year.

Looks good to me. I would consider keeping Steel, just because I think he makes a big difference on the PP. Maybe something like this:

Henrique/Getzlaf/Rakell
Silf/Kesler/Sherwood
Ritchie/Steel/Kase
Cogs/Rowney/Gibbons

Street

Steel is definitely an asset for the PP. I guess I'm always reluctant not to send a young player down, unless I don't think it would do them any good. Steel and Terry both seem like players who could greatly benefit from playing in AHL. That said, I'm definitely intrigued by these lines for sure, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing them. I like that 4th line. Not physical presence really, but constant forechecking. I don't see Comtois being sent down though, even if I wouldn't mind it personally.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I don't think he'll be an anchor, but ideally he's on one of the lower lines IMO. Dude hasn't played in over a year, is made of glass, and isn't exactly young. When Eaves comes back, I'd put him on 4th line initially.

With Comtois:
Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves

Reactions: DuckRogers10

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm so bad at making lines. I can never remember which wings play on which side.

If we're adding three, my first three out of the lineup would be Terry, Street and Sherwood, in that order.

Sherwood's a tough call. I like a lot of what he brings to the table. I could easily be convinced to let him stay. But he's started to disappear a little and at the end of the day I think his ceiling is 4th-line/AHL tweener more than permanent NHL fixture.

I don't wanna be hard on the kid, but Terry is just the biggest black hole in the lineup right now. He has shown some flashes of offensive aggression right now, but he's got an ungodly hole in his stick. I'd be willing to be that more than 50% of the times he touches the puck, the next person to possess it is an opponent.

Reactions: Paul4587

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm so bad at making lines. I can never remember which wings play on which side.

If we're adding three, my first three out of the lineup would be Terry, Street and Sherwood, in that order.

Sherwood's a tough call. I like a lot of what he brings to the table. I could easily be convinced to let him stay. But he's started to disappear a little and at the end of the day I think his ceiling is 4th-line/AHL tweener more than permanent NHL fixture.

I don't wanna be hard on the kid, but Terry is just the biggest black hole in the lineup right now. He has shown some flashes of offensive aggression right now, but he's got an ungodly hole in his stick. I'd be willing to be that more than 50% of the times he touches the puck, the next person to possess it is an opponent.
You'd really take all 3 of them out before taking Lundestrom out? Where will he even play once Getzlaf and Rowney are back?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Rakell and Comtois are different type players. I'm gonna invoke some old school type forwards from EASports. Rakell is a dangler. Meaning he seeks opportunity to open up to score. Basically like Teemu and Kariya. What made Teemu and Kariya work so well as danglers is the yeoman work of center Steve Rucchin. Rooch drove that offense, but was never the finisher because he never had to be. That's why Rakell needs a Getzlaf type center to accentuate Rakell's scoring prowess.

Comtois isn't a dangler. He'll get into the nitty gritty and be a good part of a cycling offense. Comtois is a more versatile player in that respect as he's willing to lay the body and know where to be on offense with a defensive mindset of playing keep away when cycling.

I love where Comtois is right now and where he's projecting to become. But I don't know if he'll ever reach Rakell status when Rakell is in the correct situation. Rico and Kes are defensively responsible centers who love to cycle and get to the front of the net. Getz can play that game too, but Getz has a whole other level of creativity. And it just syncs very well with Rakell - the dangler/sniper. Outside of Getz, we don't have that type of center mentality. Look, Rooch isn't an other worldly offensive center. He's a big, defensively responsible center who drives the offense, but has the creativity to play the dangling game.

Rakell is being changed to different lines to find some chemistry. We don't hear Rakell complain to the media. I think Rakell is setting an example in that fashion. Although I wished Rakell would execute at a higher rate, I think things will work out better once Getzlaf returns or Steel starts becoming more confident in his play. A dangler is reliant upon a center who can facilitate that talent. Now, Perry is also a dangler, but he's and odd ball dangler as he likes to park in front of the net and cycle - he scored 50 goals without Getz for most of one season.

Comtois reminds me of a young Perry - when Perry could still skate. Comtois is probably a better skater and is now younger than Perry was when first called up. But as Comtois matures and fills out, I think their games will be similar - he may not have Perry's scoring touch (too early to tell) but I see him playing a similar type of style. If I'm right, then he could be a nice fit on Getzlaf's wing.

In terms of this season, I'm torn about Comtois. He certainly fits and belongs now. I can't help but wonder if he'll wear down and/or stagnate with a reduced role.

Terry looks lost and too small. I keep hearing how skilled he is, but that doesn't show at all He needs time in the minors. Steel is somewhere in between - plays a good two way game but at times seems to struggle keeping up and makes too many soft plays/passes. Lundestrom is a stud and seems ready to contribute for the full year - really hope he stays so he can shuttle between NHL and AHL.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed by Lundestrom. But I'm not seeing enough from him to justify playing in the NHL just yet (when our roster is healthy, that is).

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Henrique/Getzlaf/Rakell
Silf/Kesler/Sherwood
Ritchie/Steel/Kase
Cogs/Rowney/Gibbons

Street
I feel like Comtois could be pretty effective with Getzlaf and Rakell because of his size, scoring touch and ability to get open off the puck. I could see

Comtois Getzlaf Rakell
Rico Kesler Silf
Ritchie Steel Kase
Cogs ?? Sherwood

All four of those lines look good to me if Ritchie comes back to us in shape.

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I feel like Comtois could be pretty effective with Getzlaf and Rakell because of his size, scoring touch and ability to get open off the puck. I could see

Comtois Getzlaf Rakell
Rico Kesler Silf
Ritchie Steel Kase
Cogs ?? Sherwood

All four of those lines look good to me if Ritchie comes back to us in shape.
I like it, but I just highly doubt Rico is going to be moved away from the center position. And honestly I can't blame RC for not wanting to move him to wing. One of our big strengths is going to be that we will have 4 centers that are skilled and can play both sides of the puck.

There is no reason NOT to roll 4 lines this season. Steel/Lundestrom have done fine, whichever one stays up is more than capable of playing 12-14 minutes.

What a huge upgrade over Antoine Vermette

IMO we will see something like this:

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silf-Henrique-Kase (could be a real good line)
Cogs-Kesler Sherwood
Ritchie-Steel-Eaves

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Sharper eyes than mine noticed that

1) Terry was not signing at faceoff fest tonight despite being on the program, replaced with Ritchie.
2) He didn't have a jersey or a nameplate in the locker room.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Oh my gosh this centerman group is pure luxury when healthy. I have to say, I do really love the way this team is progressing in fact we never drafted top 5 for so long.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Sharper eyes than mine noticed that

1) Terry was not signing at faceoff fest tonight despite being on the program, replaced with Ritchie.
2) He didn't have a jersey or a nameplate in the locker room.

Terry is for sure a guy that will benefit a lot by playing top minutes in the AHL this year. He will get his call ups but he needs to become stronger. Even Borgstrom, who has the better size for the NHL got send there by Florida.

Reactions: Kalv

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
How I see it

No way they send Comtois back. He's not only clearly ready for the speed of the NHL, the team needs his speed and boost of skill.

Terry needs to spend time in San Diego. Unlike Comtois he's not ready for NHL speed.

Steel could use some time in SD as well, but he's so smart in every zone and talented with the puck he could be fine in any role, in any league.

Lundy might have the most potential out of them all, he could stay here but I think it would stunt his offensive growth to be honest. I think 1st line duty in the SHL is perfect for him to keep developing offensively and just as important gain confidence.

Oct 18, 2011
Eaves has been nothing but productive when he's played

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I don't really put much meaning into Corsi, but an odd little stat I found: Isac Lundestrom is the only player on our team with a CF% at or above 50 percent.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't really put much meaning into Corsi, but an odd little stat I found: Isac Lundestrom is the only player on our team with a CF% at or above 50 percent.
As I said in one of the recent GDTs(may have even been the last one), I'm fine with Lundestrom going back to Sweden if he gets a real look next to forwards that both have top-six offensive tools, and are not struggling to put them to use at the NHL level; I don't consider a handful of shifts to meet that criteria.

As for the Comtois discussion, I have no issue with sending someone like Gibbons down to make room.

Reactions: Elf

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think he'll be an anchor, but ideally he's on one of the lower lines IMO. Dude hasn't played in over a year, is made of glass, and isn't exactly young. When Eaves comes back, I'd put him on 4th line initially.

With Comtois:
Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves
That's what I would roll with too and then reevaluate after 10 games. Thankfully we have quite a few options for the wing if need be.

Eaves has been nothing but productive when he's played
Depends on how productive you mean - he certainly wasn't productive in his last years in Detroit. His stats are heavily inflated by 16-17 (24.2% of his career goals and 21% of his career points were scored in that season) - outside of that season he's typically a 15 goal/30 point player (closer to 28 excluding 16-17). If he's anything close to a 15g/30p guy for the rest of his contract then that's a win for Anaheim.

And either way, his major layoffs were when he was much much younger (and certainly not as long as his current layoff). I'd imagine the success stories of 34 year olds missing a year of hockey and coming back at the same level they were at before is very small.

Reactions: Duck Off
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad