Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread III

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Honest question, but how often/how much do GM’s meddle in a coaches job in terms of the lineup he puts out on a nightly basis? It’s not his job to tell the coach how to do his job. He’s gotta trust the coach no?

On a nightly basis, likely not much. But it's absolutely part of his job to make sure the coach isn't grinding his best asset into the ground.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
According to Friedman on his latest 31 Thoughts Podcast, Anaheim is the only team in the NHL without a known advanced statistics analyst/department.

Other tidbits - Friedman thinks there will be movement to change the lottery rules if Edmonton and/or Buffalo win one of the lotteries.

Joel Quenneville's top ask of teams wanting his coaching services is, who's the goalie? Supposedly Quenneville will only consider teams with goalies he's confident in (Marek and Friedman go on to speculate about Philadelphia with Hart and Florida with Bobrovsky).

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Maybe you give a reason why CAR will do this.

Well, they have a surplus at RD with Pesce, Faulk, Hamilton, and TVR and it has been previously discussed by fans of CAR that a trade of one of them is likely. Pesce and Hamilton are definitely the more difficult of the 4 to trade for. My understanding is that they are looking for a center, but Ritchie and a 1st is not something you turn down right away.

I was simply providing an idea, not necessarily arguing that it is likely. More of an example of the type of player I think the Ducks could use and what the the team can use as pieces to trade.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Joel Quenneville's top ask of teams wanting his coaching services is, who's the goalie? Supposedly Quenneville will only consider teams with goalies he's confident in (Marek and Friedman go on to speculate about Philadelphia with Hart and Florida with Bobrovsky).

Good thing we have Gibson here. :thumbu:

Jokes aside, I don't think Q is coming to Anaheim, nor do I think such a hiring would make sense financially for the team.

I’m not one to put a whole lot of emphasis on advanced stats, but to not have any at all is terrible. Our organization really needs to get with the times.

I agree -- I'm not saying that Corsi is the answer, but being the only team in the NHL to not have anything going on is just awful.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
According to Friedman on his latest 31 Thoughts Podcast, Anaheim is the only team in the NHL without a known advanced statistics analyst/department.
Counter-point: what's to say one of our coaches/GMs/scouts doesn't do that as part of their job? Does there really have to be a dedicated stats person? Is it not possible for someone already in the org to learn to analyze them?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm not a big fan of analytics. I think there can be value in some of them but there can be a lot of useless misdirection as well. But I absolutely believe that every team needs to understand them and be on top of them. Why? Because you at least need to know how your counterparts around the league value your players as well as their own. Feel free to agree or disagree with any of them, but you have to at least know how to understand them and know what others are seeing/thinking/believing. I don't think that's a job that can be done in somebody's spare time. At least not done properly.

It's beginning to look like Bob is to GMing like Randy is to coaching, old school and stuck in the past. A lot of the past is well worth bringing forward. But one should not refuse to acknowledge the modern day advances and changes. One should learn to adopt them into thier overall process. If Bob really has his head that far into the sand, then it's time for him to go too.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Counter-point: what's to say one of our coaches/GMs/scouts doesn't do that as part of their job? Does there really have to be a dedicated stats person? Is it not possible for someone already in the org to learn to analyze them?
We have dinosaurs for the most part in our organization, I doubt any of them "learned" analytics and has the knowledge of it enough to be in charge of a professional team.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

In fairness to Friedman, he did say that Murray could be lying and they could have an advanced stats department..... but probably not haha. My gut says they use available advanced stats and a few specific ones they feel have value and then it's left to the good ol' eye test.

Probably needs/will be a focus area going forward especially if Eakins is the next coach because my understanding is that he likes to use them.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In fairness to Friedman, he did say that Murray could be lying and they could have an advanced stats department..... but probably not haha. My gut says they use available advanced stats and a few specific ones they feel have value and then it's left to the good ol' eye test.

Probably needs/will be a focus area going forward especially if Eakins is the next coach because my understanding is that he likes to use them.

That's not exactly right, he didn't say anything about Bob lying or telling the truth, just that we're the only team who might not have a department, with the emphasis on might given how he talked about how many teams leaguewide were trying to quietly build something and there isn't a quieter GM than Murray.

Having said that, it's certainly not unbelievable given that Murray's pretty old school and this team doesn't have a lot of money to play around with. There's a bit more to unpack with all that, which I'll get to tonight, but the first takeaway is this is probably a worse look for analytics departments than it is Murray. It kind of gets ignored that this team, from the last lockout(when analytics started to get hot in the streets, coincidentally) to last season, no team had more points than this one. And it's not like this was a team with generational talents, you had one or two future Hall of Famers for mostly post-peak years, not even a clear cut #1 defenseman for the entire stretch and absolutely terrible luck with timing. I'm sure there'll be analytics guys who try and connect this season with the possible lack of investment in analytics, but that's kind of a terrible argument given the facts.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

If they aren't doing it on purpose, they've kind of been doing it accidentally. Like for example, maybe the biggest thing to come from the analytics revolution is the sport placing a higher value on mobile defensemen, and there might not be a team who does this more than this one, probably for longer than most as well.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I’m not one to put a whole lot of emphasis on advanced stats, but to not have any at all is terrible. Our organization really needs to get with the times.
I just started listening to his podcast and caught that bit. He said that he finds it very hard to believe we actually dont use any advanced stats and said it is more likely that we do, we just dont admit it.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I just started listening to his podcast and caught that bit. He said that he finds it very hard to believe we actually dont use any advanced stats and said it is more likely than that that we do, just dont admit it.
what's the point in not admitting it or not though?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Baseball went through this where the old timers thought they were smarting than the analytics because they can see what the analytics miss. You obviously need a blend of both and analytics really help you weight what is important. That's where I see the most value in analytics. Where do you find value? Is it 4 2nd lines or playing top heavy? Is it size and toughness or speed? What systems are working? Etc.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's important to have someone doing analytics if only to make sure you're on a level playing field. You don't want other teams taking advantage of something you have no access to. The worst case would be another team acquiring one of your players and improving him because he wasn't being used properly, etc. Even if for some reason it doesn't help your team on the ice, you need to make sure you value your players correctly.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Analytics are as good as the people using them. BM seems like a dinosaur, but if he has smart people working under him maybe that's OK. Certainly Ducks' drafting hasn't been hurt by the supposed lack of an analytics department.

Reactions: duxfan1101
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

He did say most of the league is trying to build things quietly, even including the Devils hiring Tyler Dellow, which is kind of insane to try and keep that quiet.

But, I would imagine the idea would be to have other team's underestimate you, and this team likes to keep things quiet as it is. Having said that, it's also pretty unlikely IMO this franchise is investing in some major analytics apparatus in the shadows.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Since we're all just speculating I'll say that I find it hard to believe Bob would have hired RC II if he had any interest or belief in analytics. And nothing about the team in the last 3 years leads me to believe Bob has since jumped on the analytics bandwagon.

Oct 18, 2011

Other tidbits - Friedman thinks there will be movement to change the lottery rules if Edmonton and/or Buffalo win one of the lotteries.

This is disgraceful that our front office seems to solely rely on "opinion" not having an analytics team is how you end up allowing RC to keep his f***ing job when the indicators were pointing to a collapse.

Bob is still in the Stone age and it's putting us at a disadvantage

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any chance you guys see the Ducks moving either one of Lindholm or Fowler?

Devils biggest need is a top pairing LD. Trying to see what the realistic options are out there.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Any chance you guys see the Ducks moving either one of Lindholm or Fowler?

Devils biggest need is a top pairing LD. Trying to see what the realistic options are out there.
Lindholm, no way. Fowler also no, but there are plenty of people here would move him for scraps.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
gOqNR0e.jpg

c9JgENz.jpg

hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad