Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we're gonna do that then we might as well just trade fowler

If you trade him or whoever you decide to leave unprotected then you lose another asset on top of that. I think after the last ED GMs will learn to just let Seattle take their best available guy and not make as many deals pre expansion draft that could burn them.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We will not have 3 scoring lines until RC moves Cogliano to the 4th line. I think Kesler can still be part of a scoring line if he is between 2 competent offensive wingers, but having him and Cogs on the same line kills any possibility of offense.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We will not have 3 scoring lines until RC moves Cogliano to the 4th line. I think Kesler can still be part of a scoring line if he is between 2 competent offensive wingers, but having him and Cogs on the same line kills any possibility of offense.

Yeah I would probably agree with that take. Although both looked much better against the caps.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Rakell-Getzlaf-Aberg
Ritchie-Henrique-Sprong
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Kase-Rowney-Sherwood
Larsson-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Mahura-Dotchin

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
If you trade him or whoever you decide to leave unprotected then you lose another asset on top of that. I think after the last ED GMs will learn to just let Seattle take their best available guy and not make as many deals pre expansion draft that could burn them.

Right but who do we really have to expose that's of any value if Fowler is gone? A 3rd line player? A bottom pairing d?

IdI definitely rather give that up than Fowler who I imagine would still be worth something quite substantial by then. Cap is already going up to 83m. Fowler isn't overpaid at all at 83m

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Right but who do we really have to expose that's of any value if Fowler is gone? A 3rd line player? A bottom pairing d?

IdI definitely rather give that up than Fowler who I imagine would still be worth something quite substantial by then. Cap is already going up to 83m. Fowler isn't overpaid at all at 83m

You’ve missed my point in that whoever the 4th guy we left unprotected is whether it’s Manson, Lindholm, Fowler or Montour - if we trade them before the ED then we will still lose someone on top of that in the ED...

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
You’ve missed my point in that whoever the 4th guy we left unprotected is whether it’s Manson, Lindholm, Fowler or Montour - if we trade them before the ED then we will still lose someone on top of that in the ED...
yes i understand that. but my point is although we will still lose someone on top of that i'm saying does it really matter who it is that we lose because we don't really have anyone left that's valuable/irreplaceable.

if we lose fowler, we potentially lose a #1/#2 defenseman making very reasonable amounts of money that is built for the NHL now for nothing (or cap space).

in my scenario, if we're so adamant on getting rid of fowler, maybe we trade him for a 1st rounder + prospect and then we lose a 3rd line FW or bottom pairing d. I'd much rather lose that than a top-4 defensemen for nothing.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s pretty early to be planning out who to trade and who to leave unprotected. Value changes quickly in the NHL

The good news for BM, is that Kesler won’t be the next Bieksa. Not having to protect him saves us

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
2021: Trade Fowler, expose Henrique.

I was looking at our roster and thinking it could be a good way to get out from the Henrique deal. Although he would have to still be good enough to be worth taking.

And yeah I agree with AD it’s too early to really speculate, a lot will happen between now and 2021.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It’s pretty early to be planning out who to trade and who to leave unprotected. Value changes quickly in the NHL

The good news for BM, is that Kesler won’t be the next Bieksa. Not having to protect him saves us

yeah it's honestly silly to give it much thought. We have no idea how some of these prized young players we're insisting that we protect will develop, and we have no idea who will be on the roster. The only thing Murray should be doing about the ED right now is not hurting himself by acquiring a player with a NMC. Other than that, don't give it much thought for at least 2 years.

Reactions: AngelDuck

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
2021: Trade Fowler, expose Henrique.

The most obvious trade candidate for Fowler is . . . Seattle. The truth is that Seattle would very likely want Fowler since they have a salary floor and he is a nice piece to flip to another team. They would probably send a piece back to the ducks.

Or how about a trade of Fowler plus a salary dump (Kesler if he's not bought out)? Vegas did lots of deals like that (they took Stoner) and the ducks clear salary cap.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kase Getzlaf Aberg
Rakell Henrique Perry
Ritchie Lundestrom/Steel/Kossila Sprong (offensive zone draws primarily)
Kesler Rowney Sherwood (defensive zone draws primarily)

trade Silf and maybe cogs, put terry plus sherwood in if terry keeps killing ahl later.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kase Getzlaf Aberg
Rakell Henrique Perry
Ritchie Lundestrom/Steel/Kossila Sprong (offensive zone draws primarily)
Kesler Rowney Sherwood (defensive zone draws primarily)

trade Silf and maybe cogs, put terry plus sherwood in if terry keeps killing ahl later.
Who is taking Cogs' contract? Vegas? Nope, they don't need a player like Cogs. If he was an expiring contract, he could be moved easily with no retention. But with term, teams see a guy who is on pace for less than 20 points, making almost 4 million, and signed past 33 years old. You have to be realistic about a guys value. BM can't make a trade with himself. We'd probably have to retain at least $1M right now just to get rid of him and is that really worth it?

He honestly probably has more value to us than he does in a trade. He's not THAT bad. He needs to have his role reduced, obviously. Him and Kesler need to go to the 4th line and PK only. We finally have the talent at wing to demote him.
Also I don't think we are best off having Getzlaf and Kase on the same line. Those are our only 2 real line drivers

Last edited:

nilssont

May 27, 2007
For the next game

Raks-Getz-Aberg
Ritchie-Rico-Sprong
Silf-Rowney-Kase
Cogs-Kes-Sherwood

Same d-pairs

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Eaves was healthy and playing well you think we would have got Sprong?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
RC needs to adjust to the drop-off in Cogs and Kesler. Putting them out there every time the other team's scoring line is out is not a good idea. It was, no longer is. Either run four lines and don't worry so much about matching up or create a new "matchup line."

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing Kase-Kesler-Silf. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up hating it, but it's worth a shot.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I posted this a few pages back (below), also wanting to give Ritchie a little nudge while he seems to be improving and I kinda think it may be time to move Ricky around the lineup, give others a ride on the Getz-train:

Ritchie-Getz-Aberg
Raks-Rico-Sprong
Silf-Kes-Kase
Cogs-Rowney-Sherwood/Eaves

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Where do you think Perry slots in when he comes back. I have a feeling we will be moving Silf at the deadline (if Sprong continues to play like this) , maybe for a center.

Rakell-Getz-Aberg
Ritchie-Henrique-Sprong
Kase-Trade-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Sherwood

You could put Kesler at line three as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad