2018-19 Roster talk; Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guys, don't be mean to Myrtetus. He's just here to have hockey conversations with knowledgeable fans.... despite the fact that he never once tried to have a hockey conversation and exclusively came here to defend his dumb tweets.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I'll be cheering for us to win every f***ing game but realistically we should accept it's a long shot.

Getting rid of Hak and hopefully moving onto Q or Keefe is a small victory for this year.

I hope Prongo is right that a few hockey trades are what happens and not some desperate, we get bent over to make the playoffs deals.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald is the worst Flyer I have seen play. I can't really think of a time that he made a great or even good play. He has terrible defensive instincts. His default play is to ice the puck, even if no one is near him which is a huge liability because that means he has to try and defend in his own zone again. He doesn't have patience with the puck, he doesn't have the skill to deke anyone out, and he doesn't make good passes. The only thing that has kept him in this league is his speed - that is to say, he isn't slow and can skate backwards well enough to not get burnt. One more nice thing I can say about him is that he doesn't think he's better than he is. He doesn't try to take it deep in the O zone, he doesn't TRY to deke anyone out, and he doesn't try to be fancy.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
On the positive side, with us making no trades before the freeze, at least Fletch didn't jump at some awful deal. I can only imagine the shit that was dangled, knowing we might be desperate.

It shows he's at least got some brains.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
MacDonald is the worst Flyer I have seen play. I can't really think of a time that he made a great or even good play. He has terrible defensive instincts. His default play is to ice the puck, even if no one is near him which is a huge liability because that means he has to try and defend in his own zone again. He doesn't have patience with the puck, he doesn't have the skill to deke anyone out, and he doesn't make good passes. The only thing that has kept him in this league is his speed - that is to say, he isn't slow and can skate backwards well enough to not get burnt. One more nice thing I can say about him is that he doesn't think he's better than he is. He doesn't try to take it deep in the O zone, he doesn't TRY to deke anyone out, and he doesn't try to be fancy.

I hear you. It's incomprehensible to even begin to justify his minutes. No matter how much they like his leadership skills they can't possibly outweigh his liability on the ice.

He could be Mark Messier in the locker room and it wouldn't justify it.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Is Andrew MacDonald the worst Flyer ever? I mean not counting someone like Don Nachbauer or Don Biggs or Tyrell Goulbourne, who no one thought could really play.

I'm guessing that as far as players who were negative impact, MacDonald has had by far the longest career.

I'd also guess that most of the list is Hextall era guys (Umberger, Lehtera, VdV) etc.
Not even close.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
His minutes should be going down real soon now that Hak is gone.... right?
He's played the least amount of minutes among Flyers defenseman since Gordon took over.

It's only 4 games but I like what I see. Essentially everyone has given up a chunk of their ice time to Sanheim and then AMac and Gudas have swapped places.

Here is their TOI the last 4 games and how different it was the first 31 games.
Provorov 22:58 (-1:57)
Sanheim 20:39 (+4:32)
Ghost 20:03 (-0:39)
Gudas 18:09 (+0:32)
Hagg 17:40 (-0:58)
AMac 17:26 (-0:55)

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He's played the least amount of minutes among Flyers defenseman since Gordon took over.

It's only 4 games but I like what I see. Essentially everyone has given up a chunk of their ice time to Sanheim and then AMac and Gudas have swapped places.

That looks suspiciously like how most of us have wanted ice time distributed all season long (well, among those 6 players anyway, I think all of us would rather just fire AMac into the Atlantic with a giant cannon at this point). Just need to shift Provorov's PP2 time to Sanheim and it'll be pretty damned close to perfect.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada

So he should!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jody Shelley should be in strong consideration for one of the worst players we employed. Especially for the newer NHL

Had such a minimal impact though due to icetime.

MacDonald is probably the worst player to ever be used in a significant role for an extended period of time.

Mike Rathje is the only defensemen I can think of that may have been worse.

Reactions: Ruck Over

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Are any of the WAR/GAR statistics available for multiple seasons? Regardless of how much you put into those, it would be interesting to see which Flyer has graded out the worst over their career with the team. This would take into effect playing time.

A question like this would be pretty easy to narrow down in a sport like baseball.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Are any of the WAR/GAR statistics available for multiple seasons? Regardless of how much you put into those, it would be interesting to see which Flyer has graded out the worst over their career with the team. This would take into effect playing time.

A question like this would be pretty easy to narrow down in a sport like baseball.

Yep, at least a few are still public. Off the top of my head, evolving-hockey.com definitely does.

Ilya Bryzgalov, even if you factor in contract & playing time beats MacDonald in recent memory.

129 regular season games from that expiring. If the CBA didn't give them a bailout, this is a landslide for Bryz.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Had such a minimal impact though due to icetime.

MacDonald is probably the worst player to ever be used in a significant role for an extended period of time.

Mike Rathje is the only defensemen I can think of that may have been worse.

There have been for sure a good number of Fwds who have had significant "roles" in Flyers history and been less impactful players.

In terms of Dmen with 200+ games for the Flyers (41 Dmen)...

Brandon Manning
Luke Schenn
Andrew MacDonald

Are likely objectively all bottom 5 in regards to positive impact going back through Flyers entire history of Dmen with 200+ gp.

Not ragging on any of them, all three could/can for sure play in the NHL and contribute in a specific role, but all three were asked to play above that role, and most players of that level on D the Flyers did not hang on to for so long.

What is crazy is all 3 were on the same blue-line from in 2014-15 and the first half of 2015-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad