NYI
Florida
Ottawa
Arizona

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I just can't see a team trading it's 1C without getting another top two line center in return, even if it's just upside. Patrick would have to be included in any deal for Seguin. I imagine that Voracek & Patrick would get it done from Dallas' perspective, but that's too rich for my blood.

Unless you go huge and get both Seguin & Benn and Dallas just hits the reset button.

Voracek, Patrick, plus other significant pieces for Benn & Seguin. In my dreams, the add is Simmonds & Hagg, but I think it'd have to be one of the other 4 defenseman we don't want to trade. But now we're getting silly. This is video game type stuff.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When a FO goes off on players the way that this thing happened in Dallas, I can't think of any way that the mess gets repaired. If I am correct both of the Stars' players have NMC in their contracts. Maybe the public blast was done to get these guys to waive those clauses.
Dallas may end up with the type of thing that went down here when Snider/Holmgren decided to move out Richards and Carter. That makes the return per player unique in that the total package for both doesn't have to match up center for center, defenseman for defenseman and the like.
It sure looks like Dallas is going to move these two. I'd like to see the Flyers be able to get involved in this transactions and sure don't want to see either of these players end up in Pittsburgh on a Penguins special.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

mja

Jan 7, 2005
When a FO goes off on players the way that this thing happened in Dallas, I can't think of any way that the mess gets repaired. If I am correct both of the Stars' players have NMC in their contracts. Maybe the public blast was done to get these guys to waive those clauses.
Dallas may end up with the type of thing that went down here when Snider/Holmgren decided to move out Richards and Carter. That makes the return per player unique in that the total package for both doesn't have to match up center for center, defenseman for defenseman and the like.

They're going to need at least one center back if they're dealing both of them. They can't ride with Jason Spezza's rotting corpse as their 1C. Based on age, position, etc., Seguin's much more likely to return a current or potential 1C than Benn is.

Like, I wouldn't trade Patrick in a deal for Benn. I would trade him in a deal for Seguin.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I just can't see a team trading it's 1C without getting another top two line center in return, even if it's just upside. Patrick would have to be included in any deal for Seguin. I imagine that Voracek & Patrick would get it done from Dallas' perspective, but that's too rich for my blood.

Unless you go huge and get both Seguin & Benn and Dallas just hits the reset button.

Voracek, Patrick, plus other significant pieces for Benn & Seguin. In my dreams, the add is Simmonds & Hagg, but I think it'd have to be one of the other 4 defenseman we don't want to trade. But now we're getting silly. This is video game type stuff.
If they are trading Seguin, they are starting over and would not want Voracek back. So it would be a big package of young players most likely centered around Patrick. Patrick, 1st round pick, a middle 6 prospect and another throw in probably gets its done.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they are trading Seguin, they are starting over and would not want Voracek back. So it would be a big package of young players most likely centered around Patrick. Patrick, 1st round pick, a middle 6 prospect and another throw in probably gets its done.

Which would almost definitely bite us in the ass in short order.

If I am moving Patrick for Seguin, the plus is going to be small. Patrick is 7 years younger and still has potential to be a very good top 6 Center.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Seguin is a top 10 center in the league and probably will be for another 5 years. You do that trade and laugh about it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have these teams all needing a 35+ start goalie next season:

Columbus
Carolina
New Jersey
Chicago
St. Louis
NYI
Florida
Ottawa
Arizona
So now let's start scratching some off the list as some won't/can't go hunting for the top guys.

Chicago has Crawford at 6 million unless he goes on LTIR.
Florida has almost 8 million tied up into Lou and Reimer.
Ottawa has Anderson for almost 5 million and is cheap
Arizona has Raanta, Kuemper as backup and a young Hill

St.L Has Allen. I could see them going after Varly, but not Bob due to cost
Columbus obviously if they lose Bob, they could look at Varly

So that leaves:
Carolina, NJ, NYI for Bob
CBus, St.L, Carolina, NJ, NYI for Varly
I would also add that Colorado could still re-sign Varly.

I think Bob goes to NJ or NYI.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Patrick has loads of potential and his recent struggles don't change that. Still, will he ever develop into a player as good as Seguin is now?

We're conditioned by trade proposals for pending UFAs, our sense of trade value is pretty narrowly calibrated, but Seguin's eight-year extension hasn't even started yet (and his cap hit is probably a discount away from Texas). That kind of cost security is attractive and Fletcher has been directed to get the butts back in their seats.

The problem would be getting the Stars to agree to a deal. The Flyers are well positioned in terms of young players and prospects but Dallas is going to need at least one roster center back (on top of other assets) and I'm not sure Patrick or Laughton would be anywhere close to enough for them. They'd probably also ask for Konecny and one of the defensemen to start, plus a first-rounder.

But who knows? If a pouty-faced billionaire wants some new toys, there might be a better deal to be had.

Reactions: Magua

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I would definitely trade Patrick for Seguin but Dallas isnt dumb. They leaked that stuff to wake Seguin and Benn up.
Precisely because they dont want to deal if they dont have to.

Dont fool yourself into thinking Dallas would take scraps for their somewhat disappointing stars.

Here4ThaLids

Sep 28, 2018
Dont fool yourself into thinking Dallas would take scraps for their somewhat disappointing stars.

They definitely wouldn't -- this isn't a leverage situation like a holdout. But those quotes imply a front office that's capable of knee-jerk emotional action instead of pure reason; we know that the Stars generally like to do it their own way/be bold/go off the board and dgaf.

Would you be surprised if they tried a Richards/Carter-style shake-up before the draft?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Which would almost definitely bite us in the ass in short order.

If I am moving Patrick for Seguin, the plus is going to be small. Patrick is 7 years younger and still has potential to be a very good top 6 Center.
The Flyers are overflowing with prospects, more than they can possibly use. I wouldn’t do that deal for Seguin because I don’t think it would put the Flyers over the top, not because of the price. Now Drew Doughty would be a different story.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I should start saving posts for when Patrick breaks out, like I did with Konecny.
You have to give to get. I think Patrick and Konecny are good players and would still trade them in the right deal. They aren’t Matthews and Laine level talents.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Calling up Myers, getting rid of AMac and trading Simmer would be a great start. Explore Seguin but realistically go forward with our corp.

Our team next year will likely have Myers/NAK/Allison/Voro/Frost/Morin.
We are in great shape for the future.

Panarin is an interesting piece they could add. Not often a player of his talent comes along in FA.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
You don’t have to.

You can keep and get, if you’re patient.
True but the clock is ticking on some of the Flyers elite players. I know some think they won’t decline with age like the overwhelming majority of players but that’s a bad bet. When will this group be out of mediocrity in your opinion by staying the course? 2020? 2021? 2022?

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Patrick has loads of potential and his recent struggles don't change that. Still, will he ever develop into a player as good as Seguin is now?

If we're lucky he gets in the ballpark of where Seguin is right now and will be for the next 4-5 years. Seguin for Patrick would be a no-brainer for me. It's the plus that scares me.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
I would definitely trade Patrick for Seguin but Dallas isnt dumb. They leaked that stuff to wake Seguin and Benn up.
Precisely because they dont want to deal if they dont have to.

I can only imagine what their reaction would be after watching Patrick play for a while.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
True but the clock is ticking on some of the Flyers elite players. I know some think they won’t decline with age like the overwhelming majority of players but that’s a bad bet. When will this group be out of mediocrity in your opinion by staying the course? 2020? 2021? 2022?
Well it's not as if we have a large list of old guys we need to worry about. If you list this teams current top players, the only ones who are a near(ish) to being a decline risk are Giroux and Voracek, who I'm not at all worried about. All the other top players are mid/early 20s.

So at this point, we're kinda committed to the patience approach and we're not far away anyway, so I don't see a problem unless we start trading the young players.

Here4ThaLids

Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, and this may not be the right deal, depending on how they want to build the team. But we should be mentally preparing for a painful consolidation trade in the next few years.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Lets say we trade a 2020 1st for Quick and sign Panarin in the off season. Even if we keep Simmonds for this season (would be dumb), we will be in great shape moving forward. I'd love to see something like this next season to start the year.

Giroux/Couts/TK
Panarin/Patrick/Voracek
JVR/Frost/Lindblom
Laughton/Voro/Rubstov

Provy/Sanheim
Ghost/Gudas
Morin/Myers
Hagg

Quick/Hart

If Patrick turns things around which I am hoping he will this season and Myers gets called up this year and gets playing time in this could be a really good roster going into next season.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Speaking of, it's kinda telling that there aren't bazzilion clickbait rumors about simmer being heavily sought after. Someone's gonna trade for him, but it will be more of an eric staal situation where no one really gives a damn.

How's fletchs track record when seller? Can he get a decent value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad