2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What's wrong with just signing Varlamov or Keith Kinkaid in the offseason? They are reasonably aged, productive, not falling apart, and won't command long contracts. Maybe even add Mikko Koskinen or Robin Lehner to that list.

Another way of looking at this would be to say that those in favor of acquiring Quick are doing so for this year, next, and possibly the year after that. What percent confidence do you have Quick SIGNIFICANTLY outplays each of the following over the next year and a half? Two and a half years?

Jimmy Howard
Robin Lehner
Mikko Koskinen
Semyon Varlamov

I would define significantly as roughly being worth:

• A protected (Schenn-esque) 1st rounder or 2nd plus equivalent player/prospect that adds up to a 1st.
  • Either a 2 x 5 deal for a Bozak type of UFA in July 2019/20 or a 2nd rounder plus a current day Ratcliffe-esque prospect as a dump cost.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
More to the larger point, it really is hard to pull names from that era when people didn't laugh at the notion of a 'Flyers Way'. It just seems like you either grew to be a competent contributor, were unceremoniously traded, or your coach grabbed you by the neck in the locker room. :eek:

Yep, very much so. We didn't really tolerate bozos here until after 1987 (generally speaking), and it's absolutely true that Andy wouldn't have lasted through one of these typical Andy games had he had one back in the day.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What's wrong with just signing Varlamov or Keith Kinkaid in the offseason? They are reasonably aged, productive, not falling apart, and won't command long contracts. Maybe even add Mikko Koskinen or Robin Lehner to that list.

Kinkaid's been pretty bad this year.

Reactions: Tripod

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Kinkaid's been pretty bad this year.

Kinkiad is down to .901. I think we can do better.

Yes, .901 this season. Which is only .003 worse than Quick. Who people want to trade for despite being old, injury prone, and with a bad contract.

3 out of the last 4 years before this year Kinkaid was very good. Save percentage by year...

17/18 - .913
16/17 - .916
15/16 - .904
14/15 - .915

... I'm not married to the idea of Kinkaid, but he's a decent option to at least consider. 29 years old, seems decently healthy, and won't command a long-term commitment.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m not a Kinkaid fan. I’d pass. This is only his 2nd season with more than 26 games. He’s been pretty hit or miss even in relatively limited usage. Wasn’t bad last year, but stinks this year. I think you’d just be adding another question mark in net.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
I think it’s to early to look at another goalie. See how Hart handles the rest of the year. Nuvy, Elliot are ‘ok’ when healthy, as was Stolarz imo

I hate to be looking at next year already.. but man would I love to have Q as coach, go after Panarin (Thank Hexy for the cap space) and trade our 1st for Trouba. Trade Simmonds, promote Frost, Myers and see who else impresses. Good core of veterens and hungry young players with skill.

Patrick needs to keep working on his skating and ability to protect the puck. He will also be better on pp1. His jump in play will be very important in becoming legit contenders.. getting him going would be huge

Season isn’t ‘lost’ but if we can’t string together a nice streak now at least the trade deadline will be interesting

Fun times ahead with still many questions to be answered.. such as why is Mac Daddy such a beast?

Reactions: Rebels57

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Patrick just won us the Rangers game on a sweet snipe on Lundqvist. Giroux missed prior. That won’t show up on the statline but it happened, two games ago. it was said earlier that at this time in his career, G was still in the AHL. Let Patrick develop on his own pace. Give him more opportunities and PP1 but let him slide. His upside is still high — at the very least with some bulk he’s an around the net presence with sick hands and passing.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Patrick just won us the Rangers game on a sweet snipe on Lundqvist. Giroux missed prior. That won’t show up on the statline but it happened, two games ago. it was said earlier that at this time in his career, G was still in the AHL. Let Patrick develop on his own pace. Give him more opportunities and PP1 but let him slide. His upside is still high — at the very least with some bulk he’s an around the net presence with sick hands and passing.
Also, strong in the circle early in his career. Makes nice defensive decisions in coverage and backchecking.
I am not that worried about him.

Reactions: Larry44

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Also, strong in the circle early in his career. Makes nice defensive decisions in coverage and backchecking.
I am not that worried about him.

At Patrick's age, Giroux had 2 scoreless NHL games under his belt. I don't mean that Patrick is going to end up anywhere near Giroux as a player, but people could stand to calm down a bit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Not to mention, he set up Ghost for the GWG a few games ago as well.

Patrick is gonna be really good. I see him as being a Kopitar-Lite type of player for us based on his game.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd rate myself in the 90th percentile of Voracek fans but this is too good an opportunity. Realistically at some point Jake's contract won't be great for us, Seguin is more than 2 years younger and a better player. He represents a WIN NOW player who improves the team immediately and helps to create a better bridge between the "veteran core" (which would essentially be him, Giroux and Couturier) and the 19-to-21 years in the organization.

We can do a Voracek + for Seguin deal and still re-sign Provorov, Konecny and get Panarin, a goalie and a D this offseason.

Plus, if Gaglardi is going "WTF" 5 times a game now watching Benn/Seguin, I can't wait to see his reaction to watching Voracek.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Not to mention, he set up Ghost for the GWG a few games ago as well.

Patrick is gonna be really good. I see him as being a Kopitar-Lite type of player for us based on his game.
Patrick NEEDS a dynamic winger to set him off at this level. He's a Monahan that needs his Gaudreau. Said it when he was drafted.
That's Konecny.

Both will be stars and will be a dangerous combo for years once they come into their own.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I'd rate myself in the 90th percentile of Voracek fans but this is too good an opportunity. Realistically at some point Jake's contract won't be great for us, Seguin is more than 2 years younger and a better player. He represents a WIN NOW player who improves the team immediately and helps to create a better bridge between the "veteran core" (which would essentially be him, Giroux and Couturier) and the 19-to-21 years in the organization.

We can do a Voracek + for Seguin deal and still re-sign Provorov, Konecny and get Panarin, a goalie and a D this offseason.

Plus, if Gaglardi is going "WTF" 5 times a game now watching Benn/Seguin, I can't wait to see his reaction to watching Voracek.
Dallas hangs up laughing. Trading Seguin for Voracek + does nothing for them.
I dont want to trade Jake, but even if I wanted to he's a tough piece to move as a mercurial, playmaking winger.

Any pretender or contender trying to add talent/willing to add salary at the top of their roster likely already has a playmaker on the level of Jake or better and that player is likely a center.
Hard to justify bringing in an 8 million dollar man on those terms.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Did you miss the part where the team CEO called him horseshit?

Tough to get market value in that scenario.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Interestingly most of the Dallas HF board seems to agree that Benn and Seguin have been playing like horseshit, even if they don't agree with the manner in which this was addressed.

Benn and Seguin have played together since 2013-14. In that time they've both basically averaged a ppg. Actually they're both about as close to being ppg players without actually being there as you can get -- Benn has scored 403 points in 404 games, Seguin 384 points in 387 games.

This year they're at:
Benn 30 points in 38 games
Seguin 32 points in 38 games

They're both down about 5-7 points off their normal averages.

Seguin's having a bad shooting year, shooting just 7.5% vs. his career average of 11.1% If he were at his norms he'd have another 5 goals.

Klingberg has missed half the season, which is a likely explanation for why the PP has been off. That's probably another 1-3 points each for them.

This is much ado about nothing, another example of a non-sports, non-math guy ascribing human failings to normal fluctuation/variance.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Did you miss the part where the team CEO called him horse****?

Tough to get market value in that scenario.

Voracek’s the wrong piece for a Seguin deal. Age, position, skill set, etc. We’d have to add too much (another major asset) to make it sensible for Dallas and they’d be foolish to accept less.

He could make sense as the main piece in a Benn deal, as a stylistic swap of similarly aged wingers.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Varly for 3 years would be ideal, as it's not costing assets at all. However, wouldn't NYI or CAR offer him more term though? Whichever team misses out on Bob?

Not overly excited about the others but Howard might work out on a short term deal.

I think for me, it's the thought of the music stopping and all the chairs are gone, leaving us with scraps. We should be pushing for home ice in the playoffs next year, assuming fresh blood on the team and coaching. Rushing Hart could also be risky.

All the negatives pointed out on Quick are very much a possibility. I wouldn't want to pay premium for him, that's for sure. It's not like the Flyers don't have a history with injured goalies.. Adding another that has cost at both ends (potentially) would be a frustrating scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad